Author Topic: Collin Provost of Toy Machine  (Read 51613 times)

duniwayRobber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -140
  • ?
Re: Collin Provost of Toy Machine
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Colin needs to lay off the booze. That welcome to the team clip was mediocre at best.
[close]
Everything is going to Collin's part in the new Emerica video that's being wrapped up next month. Dude filmed like 15 minutes of footage in the last year for it.

Since you can't (or won't, and I don't blame you) speak on why Collin left Toy, would you offer any insights into why skater-sponsor relationships have a tendency to go so sour, while also being shrouded in secrecy while they fizzle out?

I've worked since 16 and have seen, and participated in, my fair share of walk-outs/no-shows/post-quit-company-bashing, but I don't understand the subversive moving of skaters when they leave.

Examples: Shane and Primitive, Diego and April, Curren and Flip.

Are they scared future sponsors will avoid them for being public about what motivated their changes?
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #331 on: June 15, 2021, 07:03:00 AM »
I’m stoked to watch the welcome part. Even if it’s old footy or whatever. I like Colin and stoked he’s on creature. It’s a good fit and it seems his homies are on creature. Just my observation but there’s usually some Colin being  burnt out or always boozing which idk his life.  But when I saw a toy machine demo. Colin was drinking but wasn’t all fucked up. Glick was on the tour and he seemed pretty lit. Colin and axle skated the hardest the whole time and actually put  effort into making the demo awesome. Leabres was too but I think he was still injured and was skating a pool most the time. But seeing Colin at that demo made me a fan and also shattered my assumption of him being a pile. Dude puts in work and Colin axle and leabres hung with people and was very down to talk with people. Which was awesome made me a fan
I saw him at a demo and he skated the whole time, did a gap no one had ever done and didn't pick up a beer till a mini ramp session later that night. He struck me as someone who is a "professional skateboarder" as random as that sounds. A high pedigree of skill and attention to when its time to show up and rip for the kids.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #332 on: June 15, 2021, 07:25:11 AM »
Provost absolutely rips. I dug him on Toy and now on Creature. I'm a fan of both these companies. Intro to his part had that Repo Man vibe, love it. Last trick was fucked. Nothing but respect for that dude and can't wait to see his Emerica part. Shits gonna be good.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #333 on: June 15, 2021, 07:33:05 AM »
Dude likes his drink and I'm not the biggest fan of his bump to bar heavy skating but his productivity is not in question for me. Dude closed out Toy's last full length with a solid part, shows up in volcom edits regularly, seems to always be skating in other people's ig edits if rarely his own.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #334 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good for toy machine

weird that entire part was filmed on their boards. shit had to break bad
[close]

definitely.  this was obviously his Vaccine part
[close]

Quick scrub of his gram, had to scroll all the way back to February 2020 for a Toy mention. So he's either been off for a year or he scrubbed his page like a break up with a chick
[close]

Nope.

[close]

That was on the toy gram and a very nice departing message. His post is quite the opposite
[close]

The opposite would be 'Fuck Toy Machine', his post doesn't mention them at all. Frankly who cares? It's fucking instagram and it's all phony industry politics anyways. Why are we expecting an elegantly written send off from 'The Provider'? Dude is using all of his brain cells to skate, party and post memes.

yeah, what are you talking about?  i know that this place is only a step above tmz levels of the internet, but some of you seriously pray for drama
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
Dude must stink. He has the same shirt on in almost all those clips

sk8bones

• Rep: -15
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2021, 10:55:03 AM »
Hi, I'm old and in the way most of the time. Collin is an incredible skater. I'm not sure what he's missing. Probably more rails than giant ollies over things. I'm not really sure. Seeing him skate in person is awesome and he seems super nice. I've seen him at a demo and we rolled up on the whole Volcom team in AZ last November at 2 Guns. Collin and Simon Bannerot were super cool. Creature is stacked. Too much transition skating for a lot of people. I think Provost is well rounded enough for street and some transition. I can't wait to see him and Gravette skate. No kayaking though. No canoe Collin stuff either.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
He literally rolls with it and thats my favorite thing about a skater, also he was on Element for awhile & people forget that
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2021, 11:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Colin needs to lay off the booze. That welcome to the team clip was mediocre at best.
[close]
Everything is going to Collin's part in the new Emerica video that's being wrapped up next month. Dude filmed like 15 minutes of footage in the last year for it.
[close]

Since you can't (or won't, and I don't blame you) speak on why Collin left Toy, would you offer any insights into why skater-sponsor relationships have a tendency to go so sour, while also being shrouded in secrecy while they fizzle out?

I've worked since 16 and have seen, and participated in, my fair share of walk-outs/no-shows/post-quit-company-bashing, but I don't understand the subversive moving of skaters when they leave.

Are they scared future sponsors will avoid them for being public about what motivated their changes?
It's not always relationships going sour or things fizzling out. Most of the time these things end cordially. There can be many reasons why someone chooses to leave their sponsor though. Whether it's a better opportunity (more money, signature products, more traveling, etc.) or someone just wanting to do something new after having the same sponsor for years. Even though it's skateboarding, it's still a job like the rest and sometimes you leave a job for one that seems better to you or that you're more stoked on. Another reason I've seen throughout the years is when you start hanging out with your friends who skate/work for another company and you just want to be on the same team as them and travel together.

For those relationships that do end poorly, unfortunately a lot of times it comes down to being mistreated. Whether promises on either end weren't kept or were promised money that wasn't ever there to begin with, that's a way to really hurt the relationship between the brand and it's riders. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen it.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »

His 'mediocre' is still extremely good

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

For the same reason that it's not smart to trash your previous employer in a job interview; nobody wants to hire the dude that's going to shit talk them when they leave, puts a bad taste in peoples mouths. This is true in all industries.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #341 on: June 15, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »
NHS seems to be killing the reissue game right now, and OJ and that stupid bearing company are doing really well, I'm assuming this was mostly a monetary move, plus the dudes on Creature skating a little more like him. Is he on any other NHS companies?

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #342 on: June 15, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »
NHS seems to be killing the reissue game right now, and OJ and that stupid bearing company are doing really well, I'm assuming this was mostly a monetary move, plus the dudes on Creature skating a little more like him. Is he on any other NHS companies?
Indy

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #343 on: June 15, 2021, 01:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

For the same reason that it's not smart to trash your previous employer in a job interview; nobody wants to hire the dude that's going to shit talk them when they leave, puts a bad taste in peoples mouths. This is true in all industries.

There's a difference between explanations and complaints though. Every time I get a new job, they ask me why I am leaving (or have left) my previous employer. I don't bring the litany, but I do explain where my previous company fell short and why the relationship ended.

It's strange, but I feel slightly 'owed' by my favorite skaters an explanation of why they are leaving a brand. I want to know if/why the brand deserves writing off, as well as why the skater's next sponsor deserves my money. I realize I might be the minority on that one, but just trying to give clarity to why I find it odd.

Thanks @emericaTM for the answers, lame to hear that it's promised money that never appears (as opposed to a small paycheck that was never meant to increase).
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: June 16, 2021, 07:26:28 AM »
Who had no idea who was in there
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Brguy

« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It's probably just kind of a dick move since the industry is so small, it's like you're talking shit about your friends and colleagues, only this time they'll always be there hanging out.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2021, 11:55:02 AM »
Here's what his decks look like:

These shoulda been ready at the announcement imo, but w/e

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: June 17, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »