Author Topic: Collin Provost of Toy Machine  (Read 51687 times)

Miller92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -282
Re: Collin Provost of Toy Machine
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 07:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
He loves coke, but the real problem is, he really looks like he loves coke.
[close]

Can you prove this?

i know from personal experience that half the hesh bros in the skate industry love the shit.

but honestly...who doesn't .....

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Toy should sponsor Jordan Powell, the new dude on Emerica. Dude is sick
[close]

He could definitely breathe some life back in toy.

Also agree that  devin bagnoli should officially be on creature.
[close]

I’m 73% sure mr. bagnoli had a welcome to the team video on Instagram lol.

Giving sinclair reign over toy machine was its down fall. What happened to kevin barnett? Kinda seemed like he was the tm during good n evil and suffer the joy.

Idk why Ed can’t manage toy full on those were always my favorite eras “live” “jump off a building” “berzerker”. Jump of building era toy graphics were also my favorite

Ed would probably be losing money if he spent the time running the day to day at toy machine, he's a pretty major artist so it's probably better for him financially to spend his time painting and working on shows than to worry about selling skateboards. How much art does he make over there? I know theres a lot of Krooked stuff that looks like Gonz art but is done by outside people either modifing doodles or just doing things inspired by his style. I doubt Ed makes very much from Toy cuz in an interview a while ago when he was still viable pro skater he said Emerica pays him more than he makes from Toy.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Giving sinclair reign over toy machine was its down fall. What happened to kevin barnett? Kinda seemed like he was the tm during good n evil and suffer the joy.

Idk why Ed can’t manage toy full on those were always my favorite eras “live” “jump off a building” “berzerker”. Jump of building era toy graphics were also my favorite

THIS

Its such a long shot at this point but I wish Toy Machine would at least try to get back to their 90's roots with a good blend of east coast and west coast skaters. Aside from Leo (nostalgic reasons) and Myles Willard that whole roster right now is fucking beat. Jeremy Leabres had some real potential around the time of this part but I guess injuries threw him off course

"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ed would probably be losing money if he spent the time running the day to day at toy machine, he's a pretty major artist so it's probably better for him financially to spend his time painting and working on shows than to worry about selling skateboards. How much art does he make over there? I know theres a lot of Krooked stuff that looks like Gonz art but is done by outside people either modifing doodles or just doing things inspired by his style. I doubt Ed makes very much from Toy cuz in an interview a while ago when he was still viable pro skater he said Emerica pays him more than he makes from Toy.
Ed's a great skater and an interesting artist. But, I don't think he's great at running a brand hands-on. For all his faults, the greatest era of Toy Machine was essentially run by Jamie Thomas, and its first collapse happened over time after he left. It's like Krooked with Gonz, a great figurehead at the top who can contribute his art and legacy, but you don't want him running the day-to-day, like planning trips or being in charge of getting guys product.

Miller92

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Ed's a great skater and an interesting artist. But, I don't think he's great at running a brand hands-on. For all his faults, the greatest era of Toy Machine was essentially run by Jamie Thomas, and its first collapse happened over time after he left. It's like Krooked with Gonz, a great figurehead at the top who can contribute his art and legacy, but you don't want him running the day-to-day, like planning trips or being in charge of getting guys product.

the greatest and probably most successful era of Toy Machine was 2002-2006.  Berserker, Good & Evil, Suffer the Joy...

the website's photo blog.  Trapasso, Layton era.  That was all done by Kevin Barnett and Ed

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2021, 12:18:02 PM »
Gonna need receipts for this one. Only other place I could see him is Baker.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

the greatest and probably most successful era of Toy Machine was 2002-2006.  Berserker, Good & Evil, Suffer the Joy...

the website's photo blog.  Trapasso, Layton era.  That was all done by Kevin Barnett and Ed
I'd say their Welcome to Hell team was more impactful and relevant. Not that the Suffer the Joy team was not great.

michael scarn

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Gonna need receipts for this one. Only other place I could see him is Baker.
[close]

I don't think so... baker is way too cool for collin. Maybe he would have fit in the whole pissdrunx era but not anymore.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »
Can see him on Element again

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I'd say their Welcome to Hell team was more impactful and relevant. Not that the Suffer the Joy team was not great.

I mean relevant is in the eye of the beholder. The industry was much smaller back then and it was easier to be impactful because there was a lot of untrodden ground. I don't think there's any debate that they were at their financial and popularity peak during the Good & Evil era.

ballintoohard

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 12:41:10 PM »
He skates with the Deathwish dudes and fits their sorta all encompassing hesh aesthetic. I still think it's so fucking weird Foy is on that team.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
He skates with the Deathwish dudes and fits their sorta all encompassing hesh aesthetic. I still think it's so fucking weird Foy is on that team.
Front crooking steep 20 stair rails seems like actions of a dude who has a deathwish to me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »
He would fit well with Greyson on sector 9.....

BrockSamson

• Rep: 3
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »
Provost/Nyjah/Leticia Super Team all but confirmed.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
Can see him on Element again

I can see him on Blood Wizard

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2021, 01:37:22 PM »

Nah, the Welcome to Hell era is romanticized for a reason. The team, the skating, the art, the video, the music, all of it was completely cohesive. The skaters changed and the brand probably made more money later on, but the aesthetic never really progressed, and it's only gotten bloated in the years since much like myself and Ed

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »
What ever happened to Kevin Barnett?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2021, 03:33:24 PM »
Kevin Barnett was either let go or went and worked on that RED project for The Berrics, and completely left skateboarding after that.

Toy Machine & Foundation haven't been decent companies in 20+ years.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2021, 03:51:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah, the Welcome to Hell era is romanticized for a reason. The team, the skating, the art, the video, the music, all of it was completely cohesive. The skaters changed and the brand probably made more money later on, but the aesthetic never really progressed, and it's only gotten bloated in the years since much like myself and Ed

Yeah, although riders like Layton and Trapasso defined their own Toy era, WTH and JOB were instant classics. I 'feel bad' for the current generation since they missed out on how epic skate video releases could be.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Lethargic

• Rep: 0
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Giving sinclair reign over toy machine was its down fall. What happened to kevin barnett?  Kinda seemed like he was the tm during good n evil and suffer the joy.

https://ktbfilm.com/

Miller92

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, although riders like Layton and Trapasso defined their own Toy era, WTH and JOB were instant classics. I 'feel bad' for the current generation since they missed out on how epic skate video releases could be.

Totally.  But the love for the 95-2000 era is literally maintained by a tiny fraction compared to the number of kids who started skating from 2001-2005.  I recognize the importance of those videos and even grew up watching them, but as a kid, Toy, Baker and Foundation were literally the upper echelon of skateboard culture at the time.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Totally.  But the love for the 95-2000 era is literally maintained by a tiny fraction compared to the number of kids who started skating from 2001-2005.  I recognize the importance of those videos and even grew up watching them, but as a kid, Toy, Baker and Foundation were literally the upper echelon of skateboard culture at the time.
Maybe it's just where I'm from, but 2001-2005 was Habitat/Alien and Girl/Chocolate for tech/lower impact (with some exceptions like McCrank, Heath, or Koston who went big) which was more relatable for East Coast or Mid-western cities or Flip/Baker/Zero for Cali guys going big. Toy Machine didn't feel back until Suffer the Joy.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2021, 07:55:22 PM »
dakota servold is also very sick

Lol If i had to sum up in one sentence why i don't care about these brands it would be "the last thing I want to see is another fkn ollie over a wheelchair ramp"

If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2021, 06:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lol If i had to sum up in one sentence why i don't care about these brands it would be "the last thing I want to see is another fkn ollie over a wheelchair ramp"

Sure but throwing down your board literally on the ramp and getting enough speed to get over that is gnarly

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2021, 06:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Sure but throwing down your board literally on the ramp and getting enough speed to get over that is gnarly

Tall guy ollie over big thing.... barf... pass.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
dakota is not tall and with that being said

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
Wow. A lot of you are super soft.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »

We are obsessed with a toy. Of course we are soft.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We are obsessed with a toy. Of course we are soft.

But...but.. it's a really badass toy.

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »
if you think servold is tall u must be 4'11"