Author Topic: Collin Provost of Toy Machine  (Read 51604 times)

brucewillis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
Re: Collin Provost of Toy Machine
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »
I guess I need to rephrase. I didn't mean that Baker isn't popular, they just don't seem to have the same energy or "vibe" anymore. So, not to this extreme but if Zero was still popular but they were now a fresh, clean brand. Baker as a whole doesn't seem to have the same vibe was what they were founded on.
And that's why they're still relevant. Baker is always adapting itself to fit the younger audience while still mantaining their roots as a Brand. That's why Baker still sells well and Zero is struggling.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
creature is supposedly one of the top 3 board companies out right now and this dude just took out a second mortgage on his house to build onto his backyard skatepark... gotta make ends meet somehow, can’t blame him. doubt he got the boot. he probably got a pay cut due to dashawn getting on and decided to not renew his contract/find more money elsewhere.
[close]
Creature a top 3 fr? Who are the other 2? Bet they're not who we think they are. We talking sales?

I'd bet like Element and Santa Cruz are the other two, just because of how they have all those collabs
[close]
idk but in the navarette documentary thing they said creature was top 3. could imagine santa cruz being up there too idk about element. they probably wouldn’t have just lost their entire team if they were thriving in sales. my guess is something dlxsf or fa. maybe primitive.
[close]

Not saying you or the documentary is wrong, but I’m kind of skeptical about that claim. I don’t see a ton of Creature boards out in the wild, and although I can’t think of anybody I know that specifically disliking them, they just don’t seem popular enough to where they sell more boards than 99% of companies. Just kind of hard for me to believe Creature out sells or is at the same level as Primitive, FA, dlxsf, Baker, and other companies when it comes to how many boards are being bought. Hell, as cringe as they are, Revive has got to up there to in terms of pure board sales.
[close]

Unless Creature's hyper successful in like some Walmart, "baby's first complete" market, I find it hard to believe they're top three in board sales.
I don’t know how they collected and calculated their metrics, but Creature was consistently at the top of the list for board sales when TWS still printed Transworld Business. Anecdotally speaking; NHS will open an account to almost anyone with a business license. I don’t see them all to often either, but I’m also not out skating where I assume they’re popular. They also openly embrace having South American teams and local distributors. They’re most likely bigger globally than domestically
fuck you bama

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote
I guess I need to rephrase. I didn't mean that Baker isn't popular, they just don't seem to have the same energy or "vibe" anymore. So, not to this extreme but if Zero was still popular but they were now a fresh, clean brand. Baker as a whole doesn't seem to have the same vibe was what they were founded on.
[close]
And that's why they're still relevant. Baker is always adapting itself to fit the younger audience while still mantaining their roots as a Brand. That's why Baker still sells well and Zero is struggling.

Exactly. No brand is going to have the same vibe that they did 20 years ago and if they did it's going to feel outdated and corny (Crailtap). Brands have to evolve to stay relevant, the trick is not losing your 'soul' with it. I think Baker is one of the only companies to tow that line. Yeah, they're not the same, but nothing is and do we really just want to see a bunch of adults piling out with little children on the tours again? Nah, I don't think so.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
creature is supposedly one of the top 3 board companies out right now and this dude just took out a second mortgage on his house to build onto his backyard skatepark... gotta make ends meet somehow, can’t blame him. doubt he got the boot. he probably got a pay cut due to dashawn getting on and decided to not renew his contract/find more money elsewhere.
[close]
Creature a top 3 fr? Who are the other 2? Bet they're not who we think they are. We talking sales?

I'd bet like Element and Santa Cruz are the other two, just because of how they have all those collabs
[close]
idk but in the navarette documentary thing they said creature was top 3. could imagine santa cruz being up there too idk about element. they probably wouldn’t have just lost their entire team if they were thriving in sales. my guess is something dlxsf or fa. maybe primitive.
[close]

Not saying you or the documentary is wrong, but I’m kind of skeptical about that claim. I don’t see a ton of Creature boards out in the wild, and although I can’t think of anybody I know that specifically disliking them, they just don’t seem popular enough to where they sell more boards than 99% of companies. Just kind of hard for me to believe Creature out sells or is at the same level as Primitive, FA, dlxsf, Baker, and other companies when it comes to how many boards are being bought. Hell, as cringe as they are, Revive has got to up there to in terms of pure board sales.
[close]

Unless Creature's hyper successful in like some Walmart, "baby's first complete" market, I find it hard to believe they're top three in board sales.
[close]
I don’t know how they collected and calculated their metrics, but Creature was consistently at the top of the list for board sales when TWS still printed Transworld Business. Anecdotally speaking; NHS will open an account to almost anyone with a business license. I don’t see them all to often either, but I’m also not out skating where I assume they’re popular. They also openly embrace having South American teams and local distributors. They’re most likely bigger globally than domestically

Earth to SLAP: there is more to skateboarding than East Coast spots, arty boutique brands, and 90s hip-hop

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2021, 12:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Never doubt the power of neon green

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Earth to SLAP: there is more to skateboarding than East Coast spots, arty boutique brands, and 90s hip-hop
precisely. I say this to people who wonder how sk8mafia stays in business too.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

How does it though?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

How does it though?

With the promise that Smolik will go down on any female who buys a SM deck.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »
Julian Davidson

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2021, 05:22:20 PM »
In the case of SK8 Mafia, I'm sure it is popular in San Diego because they hook a ton of local guys up, and therefore local shops support them. Not every brand needs to be DLX popular everywhere. I know shops here (Toronto) that mostly pushed DLX or brands like that, but would always carry Blind due to Morgan and TJ or DGK due to Wade.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »

Ilya to Earth: Says the planet that's currently getting its ass kicked by human industrialization. Ball's in your court, player.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »
In the case of SK8 Mafia, I'm sure it is popular in San Diego because they hook a ton of local guys up, and therefore local shops support them. Not every brand needs to be DLX popular everywhere. I know shops here (Toronto) that mostly pushed DLX or brands like that, but would always carry Blind due to Morgan and TJ or DGK due to Wade.

It's pretty easy to keep a smaller, mostly local board brand alive as long as not too many people are surviving off the checks

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2021, 06:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's pretty easy to keep a smaller, mostly local board brand alive as long as not too many people are surviving off the checks
This. But, to be honest, how many skaters would actually be making a livable wage just off board sales now? And, if you are popular enough to make a living wage off board sales, you probably are getting solid shoe and/or energy drink checks.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »

in my personal experience here it's very socially or 'culturally' popular, but just as a talking point [not to mention the prevalence of sm stickers you see in random skate adjacent locations].

however the only people i've personally seen actually ride an sm board have a personal connection with one of the riders. the people who seem like they may or may not be the market just buy baker boards.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:02 AM »

Two years ago I went to Berlin and was amazed by the number of sk8mafia boards I saw at the shops  :o
“I didn’t travel the fucking world to buy a logo sk8mafia” I said to myself

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2021, 06:45:20 AM »
Julian Davidson
Last I knew Creature was the nu.ber 1 selling board company in the US but that was like 2 years ago.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2021, 07:33:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Two years ago I went to Berlin and was amazed by the number of sk8mafia boards I saw at the shops  :o

It's the same in Barcelona, it's surprising but they're manufactured on HLC (Jart). I always assumed that they have a good distributor price or they give good conditions to the shops because they're are full stocked with their products.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
Where I live all anyone skates is Baker, deathwish, creature, or antihero. Occasionally I’ll see FA or Hockey

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
Where I live all anyone skates is Baker, deathwish, creature, or antihero. Occasionally I’ll see FA or Hockey

where do you live? 2008?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2021, 11:42:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

where do you live? 2008?

gasp, the unwashed pleb hordes dare to ride anything that isn’t Quasi, Polar etc

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2021, 11:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

where do you live? 2008?
[close]

gasp, the unwashed pleb hordes dare to ride anything that isn’t Quasi, Polar etc

i was kidding but truly i don't see any deathwish or creature boards ever.  anti-hero pricepoints and red logo baker boards pop up sometimes

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

maybe, but everything else sucks

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2021, 11:47:47 AM »
I haven't gone to the skatepark since COVID happened, but when I was going every day I saw a lot of shop decks, DLX, NHS and the occasional a FA/Hockey or Welcome. I don't think I've ever seen a Polar or Quasi.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2021, 02:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's the same in Barcelona, it's surprising but they're manufactured on HLC (Jart). I always assumed that they have a good distributor price or they give good conditions to the shops because they're are full stocked with their products.

Doesn't Javier Sarmiento skate for Sk8 Mafia? Might have something to do with that (in Barca)
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Doesn't Javier Sarmiento skate for Sk8 Mafia? Might have something to do with that (in Barca)

Yes, but Javier left like 3 years ago to his hometown (Vitoria). Once HLC Started manufacturing USA brands shops started getting tons of them. I guess shops have more profit selling euro made decks for 55-60 euros rather than a bbs/generator boards for 85 euros.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:58:23 PM by alraunen »

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2021, 02:41:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

where do you live? 2008?
Denver 2069

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, but Javier left like 3 years ago to his hometown (Vitoria). Once HLC Started manufacturing USA brands shops started getting tons of them. I guess shops have more profit selling euro made decks for 55-60 euros rather than a bbs/generator boards for 85 euros.

Javier Sarmiento on Sk8 Mafia is like Barry Sanders and the Detroit Lions.

Or Zion Williamson on the Pelicans.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2021, 06:41:20 PM »
He’s a few beers away from morphing into a CREATURE.

Ed boy

• Rep: 80

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
good for toy machine

weird that entire part was filmed on their boards. shit had to break bad