Author Topic: Florida  (Read 3055 times)

professional

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Florida
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
At the end of February some friends and I are going to be driving through Florida hitting up whatever we might think is cool. So far we're going to be stopping in Orlando, Miami and Tampa. Can anyone else suggest cities to check out or even offer themselves up as a guide while we're there? Mucho appreciated.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »
the best part about florida in my opinion is that (outside of the major cities you mentioned) basically every other city and town has a cement park, and no one really skates much street. every town i've ever been to in FL is full of spots that look like they haven't been skated in ten years. ledges that were drenched with wax that still grind great. I'd say search out every downtown you can and you'll find bygone goldmines.

cities just to check out, not for skating but st. augustine and key west are pretty interesting spots. if you're going as far down as miami you might as well take route 1 down through the keys anyway. IMO orlando isn't worth stopping in. everglades are worth even a two hour stop in.  sounds like a fun easy going trip you're going on. have fun!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »
don't come to bradenton

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 06:03:39 AM »
getting sent to fort myers for a few days at the end of the month for work, gonna try and skate after work each day, if any pals are around that area lets link, shalom
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »
getting sent to fort myers for a few days at the end of the month for work, gonna try and skate after work each day, if any pals are around that area lets link, shalom
Oof. Of all the places in Florida that one was probably my least favorite to skate. I think they have a little ditch spot diy thing. Maybe hit up palms Skateshop on Instagram? I think they are based out of fort Myers

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 03:24:34 AM »
Bonita springs used to be great parl but I hear it's gone to shit. North port is alright.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:23:23 PM »
Pensacola is dope. Waterboyz is a fun indoor park. Don’t know much else honestly

Destin/Ft Walton has a great park, scenic spots, and the OG Plus Skateshop

Skip Panama City Beach. Way too crusty, expensive tourist trap, and you’ll more likely not find shit to skate. Panama City itself isn’t bad but it’s a redneck hellhole.

Tallahassee (where I live) is whatever. A lot of hills and some awesome spots that have been destroyed in a lot of vids thrasher has been posting lately. It’s the Capitol tho, so some spots they arrest you on the spot. Police suck ass here. Our local park isn’t bad either

Jacksonville is top notch. Kona, South Jax Beach, Orange Park, and a bunch of other great parks. It’s a nice, inexpensive city too.

Gainesville has The University of Florida, which is like a skatepark. UF also has a literal skatepark in it. There’s also Possum Creek Park, which is a nice leg stretcher when you’ve been on the road for awhile but it’s nothing special. The city is also pretty spread out, so you’ll be driving a lot.

Ocala has a nice park and a bunch of crazy junkies that live there. Besides the park, there’s nothing to see there.

Along the Atlantic coast has a bunch of great cities. Daytona, Cocoa Beach, and Satellite beach has great spots and great parks. You’ll be able to surf there too. Possibly the only good waves in Florida

Orlando is whatever, over rated imo. The maitland banks are awesome tho. The brick QP Marc Johnson did a Casper stall on in Pretty Sweet for reference. One of the best Florida spots

Tampa / St Pete / Bradinton / Lakeland is the holy grail of Florida. Parks everywhere and famous spots you’ll recognize from a bunch of videos. Be careful skating downtown Tampa. Lake Bonny, Bro Bowl, SPoT, The Boardr, Bradinton, and tons of other parks that are amazing. Lakeland in particular is my favorite park.

Along the Gulf coast south of Tampa sucks imo. Naples and Ft Meyers both have parks. One is called the edge and is amazing, I don’t remember the other. Besides that, good luck.

West Palm is pretty fun. If you watch any of Grant Ya aura’ sold WKNDtage videos, you’ll get an idea of what the spots look like.

Ft Laudy is amazing. Ramp 48 is a top notch indoor park. Ft Laud beach has amazing spots everywhere you look, and it’s not as chaotic as Miami Beach. Also significantly cheaper than Miami

Miami is where all the fun will happen. Lot 11, South Beach, Brickell, and Downtown Miami are the hot spots. If you skate SoBe late night, you can see crazy drunk fights and drunk chicks and skate spots everywhere with virtually no heat. Cops are pretty cool is SoBe too. As long as you’re not being a total dick, they have bigger fish to fry. SoBe cops are pretty lenient with weed and public drinking at night too. Downtown cops aren’t so nice, and don’t skate things like Bayfront or the Triangle gap unless it’s gonna be fast.

Keys is more of a relax spot. You’ll find spots every now and then but a lot of the keys is like an island country. No sidewalks, terrible streets, no lights, etc. Key West is fun but besides Slappy curbs, there’s not much to skate. I wouldn’t bother making the four hour drive from Miami, unless you wanna get wasted. Key West reigns supreme with cheap partying.

Hope this helps.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 07:12:55 PM »
Pensacola is dope. Waterboyz is a fun indoor park. Don’t know much else honestly

Skip Panama City Beach. Way too crusty, expensive tourist trap, and you’ll more likely not find shit to skate. Panama City itself isn’t bad but it’s a redneck hellhole.

Tallahassee (where I live) is whatever. A lot of hills and some awesome spots that have been destroyed in a lot of vids thrasher has been posting lately. It’s the Capitol tho, so some spots they arrest you on the spot. Police suck ass here. Our local park isn’t bad either

Jacksonville is top notch. Kona, South Jax Beach, Orange Park, and a bunch of other great parks. It’s a nice, inexpensive city too.

Gainesville has The University of Florida, which is like a skatepark. UF also has a literal skatepark in it. There’s also Possum Creek Park, which is a nice leg stretcher when you’ve been on the road for awhile but it’s nothing special. The city is also pretty spread out, so you’ll be driving a lot.

Ocala has a nice park and a bunch of crazy junkies that live there. Besides the park, there’s nothing to see there.

Along the Atlantic coast has a bunch of great cities. Daytona, Cocoa Beach, and Satellite beach has great spots and great parks. You’ll be able to surf there too. Possibly the only good waves in Florida

Orlando is whatever, over rated imo. The maitland banks are awesome tho. The brick QP Marc Johnson did a Casper stall on in Pretty Sweet for reference. One of the best Florida spots

Tampa / St Pete / Bradinton / Lakeland is the holy grail of Florida. Parks everywhere and famous spots you’ll recognize from a bunch of videos. Be careful skating downtown Tampa. Lake Bonny, Bro Bowl, SPoT, The Boardr, Bradinton, and tons of other parks that are amazing. Lakeland in particular is my favorite park.

Along the Gulf coast south of Tampa sucks imo. Naples and Ft Meyers both have parks. One is called the edge and is amazing, I don’t remember the other. Besides that, good luck.

West Palm is pretty fun. If you watch any of Grant Ya aura’ sold WKNDtage videos, you’ll get an idea of what the spots look like.

Ft Laudy is amazing. Ramp 48 is a top notch indoor park. Ft Laud beach has amazing spots everywhere you look, and it’s not as chaotic as Miami Beach. Also significantly cheaper than Miami

Miami is where all the fun will happen. Lot 11, South Beach, Brickell, and Downtown Miami are the hot spots. If you skate SoBe late night, you can see crazy drunk fights and drunk chicks and skate spots everywhere with virtually no heat. Cops are pretty cool is SoBe too. As long as you’re not being a total dick, they have bigger fish to fry. SoBe cops are pretty lenient with weed and public drinking at night too. Downtown cops aren’t so nice, and don’t skate things like Bayfront or the Triangle gap unless it’s gonna be fast.

Keys is more of a relax spot. You’ll find spots every now and then but a lot of the keys is like an island country. No sidewalks, terrible streets, no lights, etc. Key West is fun but besides Slappy curbs, there’s not much to skate. I wouldn’t bother making the four hour drive from Miami, unless you wanna get wasted. Key West reigns supreme with cheap partying.

Hope this helps.
Quite a well thought out description of the Florida area.
Dueces Bitch's

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 05:41:39 AM »
Damn bro I live in st Pete I think we got a decent skate set up with parks and downtown
There’s a bunch of parks through out Florida and Miami has a real dope scene

Don’t move here tho ;)

Hope this helps.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 09:37:05 AM »
I am gonna go to Tampa pro this year in April :)
Are there any good curb spots that someone could point me to?
ONTARIO CANADA

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 09:52:09 PM »
Damn bro I live in st Pete I think we got a decent skate set up with parks and downtown

Don’t move here tho ;)

Expand Quote

Hope this helps.
[close]
Wish you could mail me some food from the Pesky Pelican haha. St. Pete rules!
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 04:40:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Don’t move here tho ;)

Expand Quote

Hope this helps.
[close]
[close]
Wish you could mail me some food from the Pesky Pelican haha. St. Pete rules!

Yo I can’t believe you know about that place! Haha I think they may have just closed down

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 06:01:23 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for what to do in or around Miami on a rainy day? Covered spots or even other stuff like food places to hit up? Supposed to be on a trip down there this weekend and looking like at least one day will be a total rainout.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 07:56:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokpJTpLDmY

found this dope ass spot
DEFINITELY going to check this out when I go to tampa!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:33:04 AM by rawbertson. »
ONTARIO CANADA

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2024, 10:59:06 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for what to do in or around Miami on a rainy day? Covered spots or even other stuff like food places to hit up? Supposed to be on a trip down there this weekend and looking like at least one day will be a total rainout.

Lot 11 is like 70% skateable when it’s raining

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 02:03:34 PM »
What's the lowdown on Melbourne area? Thinking about moving down there in the fall

marcusbutler

• Rep: 31
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 07:16:34 PM »
What's the lowdown on Melbourne area? Thinking about moving down there in the fall

West melbourne park. It's kind of ass. You got the metal mcgriff park a little bit south. Also kind of ass. Further north is satellite beach skatepark. Better of the two in my opinion. But still kind of ass. Cocoa beach skatepark is further north. It's got a lot of bowl and a mini street section. I like this one out of all the parks. Just moved from Cocoa and this was the park I would go to everyday. Or you can shoot over the 192 and head west to hit the orlando parks. Best parks in orlando would be OSP, azalea, and barnett.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:59 AM »
Hitting Jacksonville first week of May to do Kona. What’s the shop scene like?

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 11:03:20 AM »

The block skate supply is a very good shop. It's ran by Mike Peterson if you know of him....used to be a big name on consolidated

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2024, 07:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The block skate supply is a very good shop. It's ran by Mike Peterson if you know of him....used to be a big name on consolidated

Excellent! Thanks!