Author Topic: NYC Metro Area General Thread  (Read 17745 times)

pattacakenanny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: NYC Metro Area General Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2022, 04:57:53 PM »
I am going to be in Queens for a work trip September 6th - 8th, working in Corona and staying in Long Island City. I only have to work the 7th, so I'm hoping to skate as much as possible. I'm going to head straight to Con Edison from LaGuardia before checking into my hotel, but I was hoping to get some insight on what else to skate in my short time there. I'm trying to stay fairly close to my hotel to avoid subways, crowds, etc but if LIC is as void of spots as the QS map shows I could always head down to Brooklyn or something. Is the Long Island City DIY still going? I'd really like to find a cellar door somewhere in the area as I'm from the Southwest and they don't exist here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2022, 08:13:43 AM »
I am going to be in Queens for a work trip September 6th - 8th, working in Corona and staying in Long Island City. I only have to work the 7th, so I'm hoping to skate as much as possible. I'm going to head straight to Con Edison from LaGuardia before checking into my hotel, but I was hoping to get some insight on what else to skate in my short time there. I'm trying to stay fairly close to my hotel to avoid subways, crowds, etc but if LIC is as void of spots as the QS map shows I could always head down to Brooklyn or something. Is the Long Island City DIY still going? I'd really like to find a cellar door somewhere in the area as I'm from the Southwest and they don't exist here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)
You can absolutely find cellar doors everywhere, but you should be prepared that the vast majority are under peoples apartments and those things rattle loud as fuck when you skate them. So you should probably not be planning to sesh a perfect cellar door all afternoon or anything. They’re usually more of a “keep it moving” kind of obstacle

pterra

• Rep: 5
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
do not go to con edison. go to the DIY, the LIC waterfront, the stuff near the k-bridge, or flushing meadows, but do not go to con edison

Damn, I have been thinking about a trick there all week! I'll definitely be checking out all of the places you mentioned, I appreciate the suggestions.

pterra

• Rep: 5

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2022, 12:46:55 PM »
hi nyc skater boys. do you guys have any advice for things I should be prepared for? here is my itinerary and what i have questions about.

im flying in to jfk and staying with a friend in Bushwick for a day and a half. does the train from jfk take you straight to brooklyn? or how does that work?

and for the last portion of my trip im staying in a airbnb in harlem, 10 blocks north of central park. what would be the best and most cost effective way to travel from bushwick to my airbnb? also keep in mind its me and my gf and we will have luggage. i wasn't planning on staying in harlem but my gf surprised me so im just trying to make it work the best without cancelling the airbnb to stay somewhere else.

im super excited to skate nyc for the first time in like 5 yrs. im mainly going to stay around brooklyn and hit k-bridge, borough hall, that one statue spot with the small ledges and three stairs, and blue park. any1 recommend anything else to try out?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2022, 01:19:25 PM »
You can do all that on the subway it will just take a while and involve lugging your suitcases up and down some stairs. I would probably take a cab from the airport to bushwick and then a train when you leave BK and head uptown. Probably 40 bucks or so but can vary a lot depending on where in bushwick and traffic

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2022, 01:53:20 PM »
I honestly don’t know about this trip I plan to take. I feel like I’m going to get lost. I don’t necessarily need a babysitter, but it would be nice to look forward to seeing a friendly face. Where my heads at?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Kianou_rivz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »
Hey Pals,

I'm planning a trip with the missus at the end of October from BCN to NYC.

Any recommendations on areas, galeries, shops, bars/restaurants to visit while we're there?

Shalom

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2022, 01:53:21 PM »
Hey Pals,

Any recommendations on areas, galeries, shops, bars/restaurants to visit while we're there?

Shalom

Would love to help, but where are you staying and what do you guys like? New York is very big.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
Anybody got any rec's on Ridgewood spots? My buddy's out there and getting back into it. Around P.S. 239 and Rolos area? We can bike, too (usually just to cooper  ::))
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »
Hey Pals,

Shalom

https://quartersnacks.com/spots/downtown-manhattan/soho-curbs/
If you're curb-inclined and want to do the date-night-partner-films-your-clip thing this spot runs along Cafe Select and some other nice spots
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2022, 08:50:35 AM »
Anybody got any rec's on Ridgewood spots? My buddy's out there and getting back into it. Around P.S. 239 and Rolos area? We can bike, too (usually just to cooper  ::))
forest park is a few neighborhoods away but it has pretty much the only mini ramp around
there are some others but i aint giving em away like that lol sorry

pattacakenanny

• Rep: 0
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2022, 09:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
forest park is a few neighborhoods away but it has pretty much the only mini ramp around
there are some others but i aint giving em away like that lol sorry
evergreen park, ps 88
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

user18081971

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2022, 11:37:57 AM »
Verizon plaza = bust?

Anybody have footy here? It’s small but looks cute

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2022, 12:28:23 AM »
I’ll be here in a few hours. Best bagel? Best pastrami? Best pizza? Anyone wanna skate?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2022, 08:31:52 AM »
I’ll be here in a few hours. Best bagel? Best pastrami? Best pizza? Anyone wanna skate?

Yes, let's skate.

Best bagels and pizza in my opinion require you coming up to the Bronx.

If you are in Manhattan and looking for pastrami, I would send you to the same place I've been sending people since day one: Sarge's.  But most people will say Katz then Pastrami Queen, both of which are also terrific. 

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2022, 09:38:36 AM »
I fuckin missed my flight and now I have to sit on my ass for 5 hours in the airport for the next flight. Pretty bummed. Airport beer is expensive af.

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
Planning a birthday trip to the city 2nd week of April. Most likely will be staying in Williamsburg or Greenpoint area. Probably spend the majority of the week long trip in Manhattan though.

Hows the weather that time of year? Will def be doing a couple skate days, also bopping all over doing tourist things and eating/drinking/partying.

I havent been to NYC since right before 9/11, Ive heard its changed alot.

Any suggestions on anything really would cool. I'm kind of a travel nerd so I'm really just looking for local insights on cool divey bars, new sick restaurants, venues, clubs.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2022, 11:09:24 AM »
anybody know where the spot @ 18:28 is at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB2kpLrXYWA&t=1601s

EDIT: it's Hamilton Fish Park
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 11:16:17 AM by dudeonthecouch »
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2022, 11:19:55 AM »
Planning a birthday trip to the city 2nd week of April. Most likely will be staying in Williamsburg or Greenpoint area. Probably spend the majority of the week long trip in Manhattan though.

Hows the weather that time of year? Will def be doing a couple skate days, also bopping all over doing tourist things and eating/drinking/partying.

I havent been to NYC since right before 9/11, Ive heard its changed alot.

Any suggestions on anything really would cool. I'm kind of a travel nerd so I'm really just looking for local insights on cool divey bars, new sick restaurants, venues, clubs.
april around here is tough to predict. winter is over but its not uncommon to continue getting a lot of nasty wet and somewhat cold weather. other times it is proper nice spring weather.

its definitely changed a ton since the early 00's. the biggest change is that so much cultural activity has sprouted up in the outer boroughs. you could probably spend a whole weeklong vacation eating drinking skating and partying just in north brooklyn these days.

adumb

« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2022, 06:26:42 AM »
Based on weather factor, were movin the trip back to early Sept

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2022, 08:07:39 AM »
probably a good move. i think statistically september is pretty much the best weather of the year

adumb

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
probably a good move. i think statistically september is pretty much the best weather of the year

Good stuff. I'll hit you up closer to the dates. Maybe link for a session

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2022, 10:10:47 AM »
Since you guys are on about weather, there is a work trip to Manhattan at the beginning of May next year, like work holiday thing. It's the weather grand then? Only been there for new years eve ages ago.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2022, 02:19:41 PM »
Since you guys are on about weather, there is a work trip to Manhattan at the beginning of May next year, like work holiday thing. It's the weather grand then? Only been there for new years eve ages ago.
Average weather

April: high of 64° / low of 45°F, w/ 8 days rain
May: high of 72° / low of 54°F, w/ 9 days rain

May is usually when it starts getting nice 

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2022, 02:11:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Average weather

April: high of 64° / low of 45°F, w/ 8 days rain
May: high of 72° / low of 54°F, w/ 9 days rain

May is usually when it starts getting nice 

Thanks. I'll think about it. For the same money (even thou it's subsided) can go to Cali. They added all these tours into the package etc. I really wanna skate the brick bank spot thou ...

Icey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2022, 12:02:50 PM »
Now that it gets dark so early, where are you guys skating after 5:00pm?

Doosh215

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »

Substance. If you can afford a membership for the winter months I just go after 8 and it's empty. But before 8 it can be a mad house.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Substance. If you can afford a membership for the winter months I just go after 8 and it's empty. But before 8 it can be a mad house.
was just looking into getting a membership at substance. whats the price per month after you pay the security deposit?
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Doosh215

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
was just looking into getting a membership at substance. whats the price per month after you pay the security deposit?

It's $120 so basically the cost of a gym membership in Manhattan at a place other than planet fitness. Weekends in the morning or at night are good. Weekdays after 8 are good too. But other times during the winter it's really packed so I avoid it. But you get a key code so you can go whenever you want. If you wanna go skate at 2am you can.