Author Topic: NYC Metro Area General Thread  (Read 18141 times)

swanronson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Re: NYC Metro Area General Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2023, 06:09:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Visiting next week, anyone keen to skate with an over weight washed up 35 year old Aussie bloke? Keen for some beers too ;D
[close]

I'm 31 and the two guys I mainly skate with are 39 and 41. I live in Manhattan if you want to join a session just let me know.

Thanks man that’d be great!

dilbert1

• Rep: 139
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »
I’ve seen the stair set at the Banks is skateable again. Anyone know if other areas are accessible/available for seshing?

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2023, 02:27:50 PM »
No, and they don't look like they'll be skateable anytime soon. The big banks are still an active worksite, and the weeds that grew between the cracks in the small banks have grown to the point where parts of it look like early stages of a forest are forming.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2023, 07:31:11 AM »
just skated it yesterday, the only area that's reopened is the nine-stair area. you can skate into the bank to the right of the stair set from the top but it's a bit of a thread the needle situation with the angle because there's a pole at the top and a planter with a tree in it at the bottom that you have to swerve to avoid. if you go look at Caleb Barnett or Seven Strong's IG story right now, there's clips of them skating into it. whole Supreme/Violet squad was there with Stroebeck while I was. Caleb got a super nice nollie half cab flip into the bank.

there's also a ledge up there that you can skate into the bank but it's a really tough angle and you have to gap like a solid 3 feet or so to even get into it and then you're kinda pitched straight towards the tree at the bottom. all i could get was a 50-50 on it and that took ages lol

there's also a pretty fun euro-gap ish thing at the bottom where there's a slight bank that launches you over a patch of soil and a divider.

other than that, your options are to skate flat, do wallies off the bridge supports, or get buck on the nine-stair/rail/tiny curb hubba (which is not easy to skate at all) lol

the areas with the "big banks" and the "small banks" are still closed off and i don't believe they've announced an opening data for them. seems like it may be a while due to their current condition.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2023, 05:59:51 PM »
Gonna be there in about a week. Staying in bushwick. If anyone wants to link for a session dm me on here

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2023, 12:40:20 PM »
anyone know whats up with K bridge? seen it completely empty of obstacles on other people's ig stories.

Thanks

animalflesh

« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2023, 07:13:44 AM »
Probably just an event

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2023, 01:40:15 PM »
Oh yeah now that you mention it I think I saw promo for some kind of pop up DJ night or something like that

MorningSesh

• Rep: 75
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2023, 09:31:01 AM »
Went out to skate this park this morning and had a bunch of tiny green bugs that were sticking to my clothes, hair & all. It seems like they were everywhere, never experienced anything like that. Anyone notice anything like this in the last few days? Heard it was pretty bad in NYC the other day.

https://gothamist.com/news/clouds-of-tiny-bugs-are-swarming-through-nyc

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 10
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »
Went out to skate this park this morning and had a bunch of tiny green bugs that were sticking to my clothes, hair & all. It seems like they were everywhere, never experienced anything like that. Anyone notice anything like this in the last few days? Heard it was pretty bad in NYC the other day.

I had to pick dead ones out of both of my eyes this morning with a Q Tip.

MorningSesh

« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2023, 05:52:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I had to pick dead ones out of both of my eyes this morning with a Q Tip.
That’s really fucked, the humidity and all really isn’t helping either

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2023, 07:26:50 AM »

they were really bad last week. biked across brooklyn (bed-stuy/fort greene area) to go skate last thursday and basically couldn't keep my eyes open without having them fly in every couple seconds. opening my mouth was a guaranteed couple of em to the throat. when i was skating, i would take a lap and by the end of it i would have like 10 dead ones stuck to my shirt. it was fucked. hasn't been that bad for me since then but it doesn't surprise me they're still around.

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2023, 08:16:41 PM »
After the downpour on the 4th, I gave everything a day to dry up. Millenium definitely, uhhh, was having some problems. Accidentally became an off road BMX course. Not really sure how to fix this, I've swept up before for twigs and all that but this is beyond my pay grade.

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2023, 06:07:33 AM »
Embarrassing I didn't really think to do that. I have little faith in any department but it's the only choice I suppose!

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2023, 04:43:13 PM »
Coming to the city 3rd week of Sept. Staying in Chelsea. Any good skate-ish bars close to the Intl Hostel there?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -444
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2023, 08:04:48 PM »
Coming to the city 3rd week of Sept. Staying in Chelsea. Any good skate-ish bars close to the Intl Hostel there?

Max Fish

Would highly recommend planning any nyc visits for the cold months from now on, it’s rained at least once every day this summer it’s fucked

MorningSesh

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2023, 05:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Max Fish

Would highly recommend planning any nyc visits for the cold months from now on, it’s rained at least once every day this summer it’s fucked
Max Fish has been permanently closed since 2020..

231st Street

• Rep: -194
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2023, 04:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Max Fish

[close]
Max Fish has been permanently closed since 2020..

The old days!   

If anyone needs or wants a smaller deck (either used with grip) 7.75 to 8 inch hit me up.  Im staying in Connecticut right now, but my buddies in New Rochelle holding onto my spare decks and giving away the smaller ones for free to anyone in need in west Chester area, or could do pickup in NYC, bronx, stamford new roc.  Also have slightly larger decks 8-8.15 for sale habitat largely team decks for great prices.  Throwing in free spare bearings, etc.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2023, 09:03:36 AM »
That is a very well-off and kooky part of NYC. But if you're into art there's a lot of really good (free) galleries in the area. Los Mariscos is also a 10min walk from your hostel and the fish tacos there are super bangin. Your best bet is to skate 5mins to the F train and take it a few stops to LES park.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2023, 08:25:49 AM »

anyone know where this bank to ledge spot under the bridge is on slide 2? been seeing it pop up in a few clips recently and looks super fun
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 08:34:29 AM by Mandatory Reload »

pattacakenanny

• Rep: 0
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2023, 05:26:39 PM »

anyone know where this bank to ledge spot under the bridge is on slide 2? been seeing it pop up in a few clips recently and looks super fun

chauncey st on central ave
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

adumb

« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »
Is it considered bad etiquette to skate in the bike lanes in the city?

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

chauncey st on central ave

legend. thank you!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
Maybe, but it pales in comparison to all the people who double park their cars in bike lanes

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2023, 11:38:00 AM »

are we talking traveling from point a to point b by skating in a bike lane or sessioning a spot in a bike lane? (i.e. tyshawn skating the cans in the bike lane in the most recent supreme video)

former is fine if not encouraged, the latter is frowned upon.

231st Street

• Rep: -194
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2023, 02:58:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

are we talking traveling from point a to point b by skating in a bike lane or sessioning a spot in a bike lane? (i.e. tyshawn skating the cans in the bike lane in the most recent supreme video)

Yes to both IMO. Anywhere that is smooth one must less

adumb

« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2023, 03:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm talkin bout travel. Just wanted to make sure before I'm cruisin around n pissing everyone off. Bike dorks in Denver get hella heated when you skate in the bike lanes. Yet they act like they own the road while riding 5 wide on major streets.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2023, 06:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm talkin bout travel. Just wanted to make sure before I'm cruisin around n pissing everyone off. Bike dorks in Denver get hella heated when you skate in the bike lanes. Yet they act like they own the road while riding 5 wide on major streets.

word then yeah you’re good. as someone else said further up, people literally parking in bike lanes is incredibly common here so travelling on anything with wheels is pretty kosher. people even ride mopeds and other gas powered stuff in bike lanes which is kinda sketch imo but happens regularly (there was a big collision on the williamsburg bridge bike path recently caused by a moped that put several people in the ICU). no one will mind you being on a skateboard as long as you’re moving

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »
Gonna be visiting in Oct. Staying near the Pyramid Ledge. Does anyone know the bust factor/nob situation? Also any other spots in that area?

Thanks

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2023, 07:58:57 AM »
Pyramid Ledge is maybe knobbed again, but if you gap out, you're good. If not, you're in the middle of the Financial District there, and there are going to literally be hundreds of spots within a 15 minute push. Hit the Quartersnacks spot map.