Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 207120 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »
Chapmen is still in business. I just ordered one

Yes that is why I had changed to this line, being a woodshop and selling someone else's decks are two different things.

Chapman (not currently manufacturing decks, but said to be using Clutch wood)

I would be interested to know if the deck had the number and letter stamps in the top, or if it felt different / the same as other boards from Clutch.

Being in AU I often just take people's word for things when compiling the list, but am happy to change or fix anything if it is shown to be incorrect.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BugleBites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Man, it must suck to ride for Toy/Foundation when it comes to the boards - they change every time they get a batch made. No consistency. I don't think I've ever seen a brand switch wood so much. We just got a massive amount of Tum Yeto decks and they're all pressed at some new China place. Funny thing is they seem nicer than most of the other places they got their decks made, and now the price point decks seem a lot nicer because they're made there too. The price points feel just like the pro decks. The shapes aren't great but also not horrible. Seems like the same shape for every deck in every size. Laser engraved logo and width on top.
[close]

I'm sure the riders get whatever wood and shape they want.
[close]

I doubt it, honestly. I’ve been to Tum Yeto when riders were there grabbing boards from the same stacks as retail gets. There have been riders for certain brands in the past that got the same graphics on custom wood for themselves, but it was rare and the current situation with wood shops makes that much less likely. I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to think pros use different gear than the normal stuff we all buy, but for the most part they just walk in the warehouse and grab decks or their TM grabs them decks from the regular stock. I’ve personally sent out countless promo packages that confirm this.
[close]

It is a funny one, where some brands are really proud of saying "Our pro team ride the same wood that we sell" like DLX for starters, but I definitely know other brands have had whatever for customers and specials for the team guys over the years, be it from top level brands or from whoever.  I recall seeing that Element spreadsheet where team riders were on specific wood shapes and sizes from half a dozen different woodshops according to their tastes, or the time I saw (and bought) a few decks from another touring pro when in Australia and the boards were absolutely nothing like what they sold in the shop, all pre gripped and shrink wrapped ready for him to ride, but he needed weed / beer money and being the shop guy I was happy to help.

I don't doubt there have been some funny things going on over the years, but right now it seems there are more issues than not, as mentioned with shortages and everything else going on.

That's interesting to hear. The pre-gipped and shrink wrapped boards is hilarious - that's some spoiled princess treatment. Haha. I have heard of a few bigger pros who had that done for them though. I wonder if being in Australia has anything to do with the differences you're noticing? I could definitely see Element doing multiple woodshops for riders since they're a bigger operation. How on earth did you see that spreadsheet? Friend of the TM/brand manager?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2021, 10:39:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Man, it must suck to ride for Toy/Foundation when it comes to the boards - they change every time they get a batch made. No consistency. I don't think I've ever seen a brand switch wood so much. We just got a massive amount of Tum Yeto decks and they're all pressed at some new China place. Funny thing is they seem nicer than most of the other places they got their decks made, and now the price point decks seem a lot nicer because they're made there too. The price points feel just like the pro decks. The shapes aren't great but also not horrible. Seems like the same shape for every deck in every size. Laser engraved logo and width on top.
[close]

[close]

I doubt it, honestly. I’ve been to Tum Yeto when riders were there grabbing boards from the same stacks as retail gets. There have been riders for certain brands in the past that got the same graphics on custom wood for themselves, but it was rare and the current situation with wood shops makes that much less likely. I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to think pros use different gear than the normal stuff we all buy, but for the most part they just walk in the warehouse and grab decks or their TM grabs them decks from the regular stock. I’ve personally sent out countless promo packages that confirm this.
[close]

It is a funny one, where some brands are really proud of saying "Our pro team ride the same wood that we sell" like DLX for starters, but I definitely know other brands have had whatever for customers and specials for the team guys over the years, be it from top level brands or from whoever.  I recall seeing that Element spreadsheet where team riders were on specific wood shapes and sizes from half a dozen different woodshops according to their tastes, or the time I saw (and bought) a few decks from another touring pro when in Australia and the boards were absolutely nothing like what they sold in the shop, all pre gripped and shrink wrapped ready for him to ride, but he needed weed / beer money and being the shop guy I was happy to help.

I don't doubt there have been some funny things going on over the years, but right now it seems there are more issues than not, as mentioned with shortages and everything else going on.
[close]

That's interesting to hear. The pre-gipped and shrink wrapped boards is hilarious - that's some spoiled princess treatment. Haha. I have heard of a few bigger pros who had that done for them though. I wonder if being in Australia has anything to do with the differences you're noticing? I could definitely see Element doing multiple woodshops for riders since they're a bigger operation. How on earth did you see that spreadsheet? Friend of the TM/brand manager?

It was in a woodshop thread, I am pretty sure, posted last year or so if I recall correctly.

Found it, three different woodshops BBS, PS Stix and one on Dwindle (why Ray, why?) but I know there were other dudes riding wood from different woodshops to what their brand gets too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103985

Also being back when they had a full US pro team with well established pro riders was probably different to how it is now too.

There might have been info in another thread about different pro guys with specific board preferences somewhere too, but it was just passing info and not a thread dedicated to that topic, so probably even harder to find.

I went digging deep while in covid lockdown and found so much useless but priceless info...

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2021, 12:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It was in a woodshop thread, I am pretty sure, posted last year or so if I recall correctly.

Found it, three different woodshops BBS, PS Stix and one on Dwindle (why Ray, why?) but I know there were other dudes riding wood from different woodshops to what their brand gets too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103985

Also being back when they had a full US pro team with well established pro riders was probably different to how it is now too.

There might have been info in another thread about different pro guys with specific board preferences somewhere too, but it was just passing info and not a thread dedicated to that topic, so probably even harder to find.

I went digging deep while in covid lockdown and found so much useless but priceless info...

A recent one that comes to mind is PJ with the Control boards. I've known a couple pros who used different wood too. I almost feel like it was more of a thing before BBS became such of a gold standard, and now everyone is just stoked to skate DLX and Polar shapes. Instead of dudes getting graphics on different wood, they just straight up ride an Anti Hero eagle and sticker it up a bit.  ;D

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2021, 04:28:40 AM »

A recent one that comes to mind is PJ with the Control boards. I've known a couple pros who used different wood too. I almost feel like it was more of a thing before BBS became such of a gold standard, and now everyone is just stoked to skate DLX and Polar shapes. Instead of dudes getting graphics on different wood, they just straight up ride an Anti Hero eagle and sticker it up a bit.  ;D

That list would be rather long, just off the top of my head I recall pictures of Eric Koston and Cory Kennedy while on Girl, Elijah Berle while on Chocolate, but others like that video of Alex Olson doesn't really count, and BA or Grant Taylor ended up on AH anyway, so that is no biggie either.  All of those guys had very clear pics of Antihero wood though.

I am sure there are others too, but right this minute I cannot recall any other pics.

Testament to the good wood, when others don't like their packages and swap boards, or sell their package and get what they want to ride from the local shop, which used to happen all the time round where I was between 2005 to 2010.

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2021, 05:00:48 AM »
Does anyone know if Zero changed woodshop from DSM to something else Chinese for Europe? I just got a couple of decks with a made in China sticker of the foil and none of the usual etched markings from DSM on the top, and boy does that wood suck.. also the shape is different between the 2 decks...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2021, 05:37:43 AM »
Does anyone know if Zero changed woodshop from DSM to something else Chinese for Europe? I just got a couple of decks with a made in China sticker of the foil and none of the usual etched markings from DSM on the top, and boy does that wood suck.. also the shape is different between the 2 decks...

Yes I saw them last week here in Australia - looked pretty average, as per comment from last page, but some other guys I know say their Zero boards are still Dwindle in the last drop they had, so who knows anymore...

Zero, Toy Machine and a few other team and pro latest releases here are on decks with no other identifying marks, only the "Made in China" sticker with size info, which seems different from the last lot I saw, but no idea what woodshop they are from.  I also think they might be licensed out here (just like some clothing brands), so same graphics, but just where ever they want to get the wood, at least much more so than the pro wood in US or other places.

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I know its been mentioned pages and pages back but anyone have leads on a 8.25 shape 14 wb or less and shorter than 31.5 and a full nose? looks like weekend changed their CT shape which is a bummer I have one left and a business and company back up that I believe is 31.37 length.
[close]

I don't know if they actually changed the CT shape, the nose/tail lengths and wheelbase listed are all the same. I think they might have either copied it over from the 8.125 and forgot to change the length or they may have just measured it with the concave for some reason (31.63 with concave would work out to around 31.25 tip to tip).

That being said,

Blood wizard 8.25 is 31.6 14wb. Full nose but flat and mellow concave so if you're a steep deck kinda guy you might not like it.

Girl/Chocolate G018 (yonnie shape) is 8.18 x 31.5 14wb. Some places list it as 8.12 x 31.3 for some reason, but its 8.18 x 31.5 and honestly feels like its about the same size as the WKND ct. There's also some other 14wb 8.25 but they're a bit longer.

Orchard Shop decks/Project Asteroid (Robbie Gangemi presses them)  8.25 M1 are 31.5 and 14wb. Not really a full nose though, more of a classic popsicle shape.

I'm missing a bunch, but those are the ones that came to mind right this second.

thanks man appreciate it!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes I saw them last week here in Australia - looked pretty average, as per comment from last page, but some other guys I know say their Zero boards are still Dwindle in the last drop they had, so who knows anymore...

Expand Quote

Zero, Toy Machine and a few other team and pro latest releases here are on decks with no other identifying marks, only the "Made in China" sticker with size info, which seems different from the last lot I saw, but no idea what woodshop they are from.  I also think they might be licensed out here (just like some clothing brands), so same graphics, but just where ever they want to get the wood, at least much more so than the pro wood in US or other places.

[close]

Early to Mid 2020 Zero boards were out of DSM, QC wasn't great and had a friend snap his in 2 week on a flat ground impossible. Late 2020 till present seems like a mixed bag, I've seen those with the made in China sticker on the Jon Allie re-release.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Plug

• Rep: 1
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
You can had Nomad Skateboards to DSM ☺️

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »
Anybody know who Thumbs NYC uses?

Get hungry on it!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »

I want to say Drifter but I might be mixing them up with a different company.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2021, 04:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I want to say Drifter but I might be mixing them up with a different company.

Checked drifters Instagram and their chart of board dimensions does match up with what thumbs offers. May have a winner.

Get hungry on it!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »
You can had Nomad Skateboards to DSM ☺️

You mean this one? https://nomadskateboards.com/gb/

Don't think they are, no DSM stickers or cardboard inserts. They are from a Chinese factory, same as Droshky and BDskateco.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2021, 02:59:37 AM »
Just adding info to the woodshop thread about Scram:

Also a blank a friend is pressing as a 6 ply for a polarizer and some mini hot juice wheels for it.

Really curious to know if you have any idea where the board was made, which woodshop as it is a bit of a mystery and although I haven't seen any with my own eyes, I have it listed as BBS up to 2019 and Watson woodshop since then.

Not seeing anything from the pics at all to identify it, did it have a "W" with American flag or Made in USA sticker or anything?

Not a worry if it is a dead end, or you don't know - they are usually fun big boards to ride though!

If you're referring to the scram deck I'm pretty sure they're prime wood. Or at least that's what the popsicles were last time I looked at one which was a few months back.

I remember someone saying they were bbs at one point in the past but I don't recall anything about Watson unless they did like a small run of some one - off crazy old school shape, which is something Watson somewhat specializes in (they make some of the Sam Hitz limited editions, some of the special Toy machine decks like the Halloween boards, and I think burger uses them for their old school shape)

The Scram? I’m 90+% sure it’s BBS. Same wood that they’ve had since Nolan started selling out of shops. There were 2 exceptions though, the first and second Assault X Scram decks were Watson made.
I hoarded a bunch of the 9” shovels after Scram stopped making them. Then I found out that 35th Ave had the same deck as a shop board and I know 100% those are BBS made. Same wood, same stain quality, same clear. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…
If it was about the polarizer, I have no idea where Neil has those done.

Yes sorry should have been clearer, but the Scram board.

Thanks for both replies.

It is a funny one as I had seen two Scram boards that people ordered from US shops, both different but both not BBS in feel, concave, etc so I was interested to know as a local AU distributor just brought some in so I was very curious, as they have 9 and 9.75 boards in their current stock - mainly for others I know who are after boards of those dimensions.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2021, 09:26:42 AM »
Anyone know anything about point distribution? Friend of mine just ordered boards from there. I’ve never heard of them, their site looks kinda sus, anyone ever ridden their boards?

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
the latest Scum Co boards are from pennswood

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
the latest Scum Co boards are from pennswood
any links to the new drop? all im seeing is the ps run
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #258 on: June 03, 2021, 09:49:51 PM »
Anyone know anything about point distribution? Friend of mine just ordered boards from there. I’ve never heard of them, their site looks kinda sus, anyone ever ridden their boards?

I got some boards from Point. Their mellow boards are fucking flat. as their wood goes. It’s alright I guess. Since I hated the concave, I did give the wood a fair shake. I’m pretty sure the order product from China and print in the US

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2021, 10:03:14 PM »
i bought a danson board from a garage sale any idea what woodshop it is? came gripped
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got some boards from Point. Their mellow boards are fucking flat. as their wood goes. It’s alright I guess. Since I hated the concave, I did give the wood a fair shake. I’m pretty sure the order product from China and print in the US

I had a look at their stuff a while back too, but as you said, it seems more like a "reseller" of product, not an actual "manufacturer" as in they don't make the products there, then just buying in the blank product and putting heat transfers on decks, graphics on wheels, etc so I had not added it to the list of woodshops on the first page.

Nothing wrong with that, but some other places who do similar things are not very clear about where their product comes from and how they do business, with some even having "Made in USA" when all they do is put the heat transfer on in the USA and get boards from China.

Of course I am a long way away and don't know anything about local production in the USA so if someone else has facts and is willing to share, otherwise who knows what is going on.

https://pointdistribution.com/

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2021, 06:14:37 AM »
Who's going to man up and ask them via DM like an alpha male?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
Does anyone know where Skate Warehouse gets their blanks? I have an 8.25 that I love and want to figure out who’s making them so I can get more from that shop. I’m reaching out to them but I doubt they’ll have an answer. I got the board gripped and don’t want to pry that shit off.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2021, 08:19:43 AM »
Does anyone know where Skate Warehouse gets their blanks? I have an 8.25 that I love and want to figure out who’s making them so I can get more from that shop. I’m reaching out to them but I doubt they’ll have an answer. I got the board gripped and don’t want to pry that shit off.
I have heard they are clutch but that could have changed. I really like their blanks too. Great solid boards with a good shape.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2021, 09:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have heard they are clutch but that could have changed. I really like their blanks too. Great solid boards with a good shape.
If I’m not mistaken, Clutch stamps the stack number on their decks. So I’d have to identify the shape by dims and then get a peek at that number if I wanted to be a real specific pita. Which, of course I do.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
If I’m not mistaken, Clutch stamps the stack number on their decks. So I’d have to identify the shape by dims and then get a peek at that number if I wanted to be a real specific pita. Which, of course I do.

Clutch stamps the shape letter, and the number that indicates width  - so all K shaped decks that are 8.38 have a K8 stamp on them.  Chart is above.

SkateWarehouse images show no stamp - but they could be not stamping them for SW.  Or they aren't clutch anymore.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Clutch stamps the shape letter, and the number that indicates width  - so all K shaped decks that are 8.38 have a K8 stamp on them.  Chart is above.

SkateWarehouse images show no stamp - but they could be not stamping them for SW.  Or they aren't clutch anymore.

To add a ripple, I got mine on clearance and the page is gone. If it were a Clutch it would likely be an S6, though they apparently didn’t press that shape in 2020. So who knows, really? I appreciate all the input on here though and I’ll post again if I ever hear back from them.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2021, 02:43:52 PM »
Hate to double post, but SWH got back to me. They get all their blanks from Clutch still. He even linked me their ‘most up to date’ shape guide. Apparently I’m riding the S6, as expected.

*Edited to remove redundant pic*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:45:52 PM by TheCrimsonShroud »

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2021, 03:23:04 PM »

Hate to double post, but SWH got back to me. They get all their blanks from Clutch still. He even linked me their ‘most up to date’ shape guide. Apparently I’m riding the S6, as expected.
I had a feeling it was still clutch.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a look at their stuff a while back too, but as you said, it seems more like a "reseller" of product, not an actual "manufacturer" as in they don't make the products there, then just buying in the blank product and putting heat transfers on decks, graphics on wheels, etc so I had not added it to the list of woodshops on the first page.

Nothing wrong with that, but some other places who do similar things are not very clear about where their product comes from and how they do business, with some even having "Made in USA" when all they do is put the heat transfer on in the USA and get boards from China.

Of course I am a long way away and don't know anything about local production in the USA so if someone else has facts and is willing to share, otherwise who knows what is going on.

https://pointdistribution.com/

Yeah definitely seems that they are just buying blank decks and reselling them with graphics. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing if the decks are good, but I have my doubts. I’ll probably steer clear, they only have 2 shapes and they don’t really appeal to me. I also don’t need more decks haha