Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206187 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2021, 06:44:21 AM »
I am going to put up a list with pics to help with identifying woodshops and I have a lot of pics from woodshops I know like BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Dwindle, stickers more so than markings on the boards from Control and a couple of other woodshops, but as yet there are so many that are very generic or even confusing.

An interesting thing I did see recently was the addition of Toy Machine laser etching on some boards in a local shop that takes their own pics, but am yet to see the boards in person.

I know Alien Workshop boards had this exact same thing with BBS wood (as I still have a few) but the last lot of Toy Machine decks I saw were unknown wood with "Made in China" stickers on them.

Zero boards with no markings or only a dot front middle bolt area (also made in China).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:13:01 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2021, 08:50:50 PM »
I am going to put up a list with pics to help with identifying woodshops and I have a lot of pics from woodshops I know like BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Dwindle, stickers more so than markings on the boards from Control and a couple of other woodshops, but as yet there are so many that are very generic or even confusing.

An interesting thing I did see recently was the addition of Toy Machine laser etching on some boards in a local shop that takes their own pics, but am yet to see the boards in person.

I know Alien Workshop boards had this exact same thing with BBS wood (as I still have a few) but the last lot of Toy Machine decks I saw were unknown wood with "Made in China" stickers on them.

Zero boards with no markings or only a dot front middle bolt area (also made in China).

You da mvp man, sucks that I can gnar you only once every day
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2021, 01:13:47 AM »

Probably bbs. Theyve been putting that size stamp on a lot of stuff recently,  bakerboys and zero seem to have it a lot and the last little drop of TM I saw (with the dashawn board and then the axel jar egg shape) was BBS.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2021, 06:50:12 AM »
My money is on Dailan or something in China....but who knows....Id be psyched if it was BBS....If they ran all their logo boards through BBS I bet their sales would increase on the same premises why the AH Eagles sell so well....

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »
I could pull close ups from these two posts from Uprise, but they do a good job of showing the tops and stains of the boards too:

Street Plant is on PS Stix - warning sticker above the PS laser etched info

Fancy Lad is on Clutch - also looks like different / new size stickers on those boards, so not sure if they are doing that on all their boards, or only some brands, but the big size sticker in black and white makes it pretty clear to see (would usually have the letter / number stamped into the wood under that area too)

As has been said before, it is also interesting to see the slightly more individual stain colours from certain woodshops too, in particular the dark green for Clutch shown here.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »
Some good looking Darkroom BBS wood, all with tops too

Warning sticker between the front bolts and another size / shape sticker under that - the small red rectangle, sort of the reverse of how Polar BBS boards are done with the size sticker between bolts and the warning sticker under that.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:47:11 PM by Mbrimson88 »

douchenozzle

• Rep: 31
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #306 on: June 21, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
I’m riding a Hopps (clutch)board right now. I’ve ridden it for about nine 1 1/2 to 2 hour sessions (mostly flat ground). I’m about to switch back to Politic. Something about tricks off of the tail feels really limp. It was decent at first. Anyone else have this issue?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #307 on: June 21, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
I’m riding a Hopps (clutch)board right now. I’ve ridden it for about nine 1 1/2 to 2 hour sessions (mostly flat ground). I’m about to switch back to Politic. Something about tricks off of the tail feels really limp. It was decent at first. Anyone else have this issue?

The new huf/theories/picture show shapes are fucking ass and are flat as fuck
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #308 on: June 21, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »
Anyone got an idea who garage skate shop uses for shop decks? I did DM early today.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: June 21, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they all Clutch as well?

Looking over the list, they were on BBS but all now are Clutch, going by what others have said.

I had seen a couple of the Huf boards here not too long ago and noted they didn't look or feel like BBS, which is what they initially felt like when they came out, maybe even a few years ago now, but hadn't had a chance to stand on any.

I did notice I don't have Huf listed at all, so would be good to add that.

Thanks!

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #310 on: June 21, 2021, 06:18:29 PM »
PS Stix yes

Anyone know which woodshop Glue is from?

I am almost going to say PS Stix but I just cannot quite make out the laser etching over the front truck well enough to say so. 

Even the Instagram board pic looks like the classic PS Stix but just not sure...

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #311 on: June 21, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
There is another thread which has a bit more info and controversy, but BBS just put up a post showing a new website, logo, etc which is worth looking at.

Thread here:

BBS MFG WEBSITE UPDATE

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=117234.0

https://bbsmfg.com/

BBS does indeed make some of the best skateboards consistently around. It's hard to find a manufacturer who's able to manufacture at that level but still maintain quality control. Most of the large China shops can't.

But lol can't say I'm surprised with Grant Burns' latest blog rantings and finally posting to IG again. I don't think there's a major manufacturer owner in skateboarding who isn't mostly crazy. Curious to see if NHS even responds, or maybe they did and I missed it.

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #312 on: June 21, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I gave the theories I skated for 4 weeks to a kid at the park. Didn't even have razor tail but it did feel super limp popping off the tail. It felt water logged and never even got close to getting wet. I'm skating a stress right now and it's crispy as hell.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are they all Clutch as well?

Looking over the list, they were on BBS but all now are Clutch, going by what others have said.

I had seen a couple of the Huf boards here not too long ago and noted they didn't look or feel like BBS, which is what they initially felt like when they came out, maybe even a few years ago now, but hadn't had a chance to stand on any.

I did notice I don't have Huf listed at all, so would be good to add that.

Thanks!

I know that Traffic was clutch post pandemic, but the shapes were much better and closer to a standard BBS shape. Hopps/Picture Show/Theories and presumably Traffic all have flat, twin tapered tail shapes currently. Damn shame because I love those dudes and I’ve been skating mostly Theories distribution boards since 2017, but I’m not skating these boards.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #314 on: June 22, 2021, 07:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody know who Thumbs NYC uses?
[close]

I want to say Drifter but I might be mixing them up with a different company.
[close]

Checked drifters Instagram and their chart of board dimensions does match up with what thumbs offers. May have a winner.
I went ahead and ordered one from One Up in Pittsburgh and it came with the Made in Canada sticker and a number 6 stamped between the bolts, so it appears to be Control (this batch at least) which will be a first for me.  It seem a bit thicker like the South Central I'm currently on and liking, so I'm hopeful.

Get hungry on it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: June 22, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
PS Stix yes

Expand Quote
Anyone know which woodshop Glue is from?

I am almost going to say PS Stix but I just cannot quite make out the laser etching over the front truck well enough to say so. 

[close]

Thanks!

Sometimes it is funny only having minimal local shop stock round here and having to rely on pics from the internet more so than anything else.

Re BBS

And yes, I think anyone who is in skateboarding long enough ends up being more than a little crazy.

List updated.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2021, 10:28:33 AM »
All info now up to date as far as I can tell, lists sorted, etc.

Brands that seem to be in a few places / shops / countries I don't know about that I can see on some shop sites:

Colours Collectiv (which also has carbon top, so I am thinking Dwindle / Excel China for wood)

I just picked up a Colours Collectiv as a wall hanger and it's Resin 7.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody know who Thumbs NYC uses?
[close]

I want to say Drifter but I might be mixing them up with a different company.
[close]

Checked drifters Instagram and their chart of board dimensions does match up with what thumbs offers. May have a winner.
[close]
I went ahead and ordered one from One Up in Pittsburgh and it came with the Made in Canada sticker and a number 6 stamped between the bolts, so it appears to be Control (this batch at least) which will be a first for me.  It seem a bit thicker like the South Central I'm currently on and liking, so I'm hopeful.

Added - thanks!

Expand Quote
All info now up to date as far as I can tell, lists sorted, etc.

Brands that seem to be in a few places / shops / countries I don't know about that I can see on some shop sites:

Colours Collectiv (which also has carbon top, so I am thinking Dwindle / Excel China for wood)

[close]

I just picked up a Colours Collectiv as a wall hanger and it's Resin 7.

Thank you!

That one had been on my list to find out, but I don't think many people get them.

Dwindle = Resin 7

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2021, 08:17:21 PM »
Does anyone know how to decipher the production code digits on PS Stix decks? Had someone tell me the numbers related to the shape of the mold, would be interesting to see if we can match the shapes to the codes like Clutch does.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2021, 08:45:58 PM »
Does anyone know how to decipher the production code digits on PS Stix decks? Had someone tell me the numbers related to the shape of the mold, would be interesting to see if we can match the shapes to the codes like Clutch does.

Wow!  That is pretty cool.

I think Professor Schmitt has alluded to the fact that he can look up any board he has made in previous posts, but confirms it in this one in comments - since mid 2003, as he has it all recorded, but is not willing to give out any information like that.

Edit:  Some PS Stix boards actually have Shape # 21 or whatever number it is on them, from boards I have here too.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2021, 12:55:34 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of Control boards?

The "local" shop is now a distro for Studio, but it's local in the sense that it's a 2 hour drive away and I'd rather just order online. Wondering if there's any reason not to try a Studio? The decks are about €10 cheaper than most brands and the graphics aren't offensive so I thought I'd give it a try unless there is a noticeable quality difference.

For reference I usually buy Quasi (PS), FA/Hockey (BBS), or the occasional AH (BBS) in that order of preference.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 31
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #321 on: June 24, 2021, 08:34:02 AM »
the code is for the choice between a square deck and a rectangle shape

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #322 on: June 24, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »

The "local" shop is now a distro for Studio, but it's local in the sense that it's a 2 hour drive away and I'd rather just order online. Wondering if there's any reason not to try a Studio? The decks are about €10 cheaper than most brands and the graphics aren't offensive so I thought I'd give it a try unless there is a noticeable quality difference.

For reference I usually buy Quasi (PS), FA/Hockey (BBS), or the occasional AH (BBS) in that order of preference.

Definitely more mellow.  The kicks are abrupt and flat ie not curved, but not steep.  Concave is on the flatter side.  Wood I felt not too bad, more on the dead side, not heavy, that aspect didn't bother me too bad.  I pretty much skate BBS stuff just because they are reasonably neutral. 

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #323 on: June 24, 2021, 11:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely more mellow.  The kicks are abrupt and flat ie not curved, but not steep.  Concave is on the flatter side.  Wood I felt not too bad, more on the dead side, not heavy, that aspect didn't bother me too bad.  I pretty much skate BBS stuff just because they are reasonably neutral.

Cool, thank you! Now I just need to decide if it's worth the risk to let the deck sit in a hot DHL truck before it arrives to me.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2021, 01:59:31 AM »

First part (psxxxxx) is the order number that they would use to identify the customer/mold etc, second part (-xxxx) is the deck # from that batch. Or something to that effect, it's been a minute since I researched it.

I believe both are sequential (ie a lower number will be older). It's not a straight up mold/shape code like you'll see some places, so even though two decks might be the same mold/size/company if they were pressed in separate orders then they'll have different Psxxxxx numbers.

Over all there isn't a ton of information to be gained from it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2021, 02:31:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First part (psxxxxx) is the order number that they would use to identify the customer/mold etc, second part (-xxxx) is the deck # from that batch. Or something to that effect, it's been a minute since I researched it.

I believe both are sequential (ie a lower number will be older). It's not a straight up mold/shape code like you'll see some places, so even though two decks might be the same mold/size/company if they were pressed in separate orders then they'll have different Psxxxxx numbers.

Over all there isn't a ton of information to be gained from it.

Thanks - interesting explanation!

That WKND board from the instagram post above is SN# PS75525-0040

I will have to pull out some I have here, such as half a dozen of the same board from the same delivery from not so long ago and see what is on them, then compare that to some old Black Label decks that would have been very soon after 2003.

Not sure if anyone is interested in all the numbers but it is something I can do.

I also wonder how that would relate to how many boards they produce overall, which seems like it would be on a smaller scale than BBS who were doing 7,000 a day before covid and ramped up to 10,000 a day if I am not mistaken - from the Jenkem article a while back.

Found it:

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/01/07/look-skateboard-drought-2020/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:39:03 AM by Mbrimson88 »

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »
Nyjah's new brand, Disorder - PS-Stix.
Per pics on the website.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »
Nyjah's new brand, Disorder - PS-Stix.
Per pics on the website.

Noted and list updated - thanks!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2021, 09:08:34 PM »

-Tired 8,875
-Venture 6,1
-Bones hard bushings
-Spitfire 54mm F4 Classics 97A
-Independent GP-B bearings
-Modus hardware
-MOB

First Clutch board I ever ride, I like it but the nose and the tail are steeper than I'm used to. Also the pop feels softer than BBS Boards.

Pulled from the setup thread, Tired now on Clutch?

Interesting!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2021, 05:27:59 AM »

Expand Quote

-Tired 8,875
-Venture 6,1
-Bones hard bushings
-Spitfire 54mm F4 Classics 97A
-Independent GP-B bearings
-Modus hardware
-MOB

First Clutch board I ever ride, I like it but the nose and the tail are steeper than I'm used to. Also the pop feels softer than BBS Boards.
[close]

Pulled from the setup thread, Tired now on Clutch?

Interesting!
With classics I never know how to out the swirls. Common sense days inside but when you out them outside and the swirls are gone you have that little ring that looks so nice.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.