Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 204477 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Brands that seem to be in a few places / shops / countries I don't know about that I can see on some shop sites:

Vision (reissues)
[close]

They (allegedly) make their own boards in Costa Mesa, still. Along with Schmitt Stix, Hosoi, Elephant, Honey (longboards) and a couple others. I wish they would go back to silk screening.

Thanks.

I recall reading about it somewhere but just couldn't remember the name of the woodshop or where they were actually made.  I guess it is not a big deal really, but once I set my mind to something, I really want to make the list as complete as I can.

They are still in production but limited quantities, the wood is thicker and much more geared towards wall hangers (from the ones I have stood on) but I know there is still a market out there for those boards, much the same way that Powell boards still sell well, from Skate One.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 09:50:42 PM »
Can someone tell me what woodshop this is from? It's a Pizza deck, ordered it expecting the same shape and dims as the Quasi/WKND shape i usually ride, because the measurements on the website are the same and the description says PS Stix but the measurements don't match up and this is not the usual PS top ply laser etching.

Cheers

Edit: just scrolled up and saw the HOPPS board with same stamp and sticker. Guess you can add Pizza to the list of companies using Clutch, or add PS Stix to the list of companies subcontracting to Clutch. Lame.

So this seems to be the case in NZ and AU, but can anyone in the US check Pizza boards and let me know as well.

I have a feeling some more boards are being done on Clutch for our market, but are staying on PS Stix for the US market, but could be wrong.

Thanks.

(Woodshop list updated to now 12th April 2021)

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »
A mate in Long Beach just offered to send me a board from Long Beach Skate Co https://instagram.com/lbskateco?igshid=cytxfl25q70s

Does anyone know what woodshop they use? These bigger popsicles look like great shapes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 03:15:23 AM »
A mate in Long Beach just offered to send me a board from Long Beach Skate Co https://instagram.com/lbskateco?igshid=cytxfl25q70s

Does anyone know what woodshop they use? These bigger popsicles look like great shapes

I would say if he is there, he should be able to tell you what they are, or at least if there are stickers or something on top identifying the woodshop.

I had a look through and nothing comes up apart from one board of theirs GS7 Shape Skateboard Deck which following some google links takes me back to a board from Slap which is a Generator BBS wood board, so at that price too, I would think that their boards might be BBS.

They definitely have all the sizes covered, as well as a whole lot of unique shaped decks too, (check Prospector boards) which is more than half the cheaper or smaller woodshops too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 04:00:46 AM »
Woodshop aside, the lighthouse graphic boards look great. Almost picked one up a few weeks ago.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 06:37:55 AM »
I have a Magenta team board and it is clearly not Generator anymore.
Maybe they switched to a cheaper wood for team boards, or due to covid...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
I would say if he is there, he should be able to tell you what they are, or at least if there are stickers or something on top identifying the woodshop.

I had a look through and nothing comes up apart from one board of theirs GS7 Shape Skateboard Deck which following some google links takes me back to a board from Slap which is a Generator BBS wood board, so at that price too, I would think that their boards might be BBS.

They definitely have all the sizes covered, as well as a whole lot of unique shaped decks too, (check Prospector boards) which is more than half the cheaper or smaller woodshops too.

Their site says "Our new shop decks now proudly made at Generator Distribution!"

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Their site says "Our new shop decks now proudly made at Generator Distribution!"
Thanks, that's great. Yeah I'm going to grab that Prospector football, 8.625 x 32.125, 14.25 wb, 7.25 nose, 6.75 tail. "kicks are more square than a traditional football shape". Sounds absolutely dreamy.

I didn't want to push it by asking about the woodshop, it's a friend I know through music, not skating, and doesn't have the same board madness i suffer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I read that and thought "What, where?" but when I reopened the window and looked at the first board, yep there it is.

Funny cause I really only look at the bigger boards anyway and none of them have any info like that from what I could see.

https://lbskate.com/collections/long-beach-skate-co-shop-decks/products/long-beach-skate-co-light-mary-remix-7-5

Always happy to get a better perspective from someone else too.  :)

Thank you!

Do they have the stamp as per the pic above?  I had heard the distributor is now using Clutch wood, either this thread or another one, but no one had confirmed it.

Thanks!

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »
can someone explain how palace ended up with dwindle at all places? kinda random

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2021, 06:07:12 PM »
What’s the consensus on Clutch wood? And also, specifically Hopps decks which I’ve never tried (haven’t tried any clutch wood before either)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »
Was looking through Roller Horror's IG - their mid 2020 decks had a Prime stamp / sticker. Recent ones look like a single alignment dot on the front truck mounting hole. I DM'd Mike York like a man to verify the source.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I read that and thought "What, where?" but when I reopened the window and looked at the first board, yep there it is.

Funny cause I really only look at the bigger boards anyway and none of them have any info like that from what I could see.

https://lbskate.com/collections/long-beach-skate-co-shop-decks/products/long-beach-skate-co-light-mary-remix-7-5

Always happy to get a better perspective from someone else too.  :)

Thank you!

Expand Quote
[close]

Do they have the stamp as per the pic above?  I had heard the distributor is now using Clutch wood, either this thread or another one, but no one had confirmed it.

Thanks!

$40 for a Generator deck with graphic ain't bad, nice to see Tactics aren't the only one using Generator for their shop boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »
I'm in Canada and I get shop boards pretty regularly...ninetimes/menu....they are BBS....

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2021, 11:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!

I don't remember but I think there was that size sticker that is normally not on Magenta decks.
I liked the shape but to be honest I didn't chipped a board that bad for a long time.
My nose was destroyed after 3 sessions, like the plies were glued poorly...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 07:01:13 AM »
can someone explain how palace ended up with dwindle at all places? kinda random

It might be all manner of various things, but at the end of the day, if the business owner / person in charge gets a better deal from a certain woodshop, or they prefer the feel of boards from a certain woodshop, that could go a long way in determining what woodshop a brand uses.

The other side of it is only business based, so if for no other reason, it was more beneficial for a brand to use a certain woodshop, for whatever reason, but I imagine based on price, product quality or stock assurances, then that is the deal they have.

I have never really been a fan of Palace but I just did a bit of research on it - like a London based version of Supreme some people say - but at the end of the day, what I personally think about a brand or their wood is neither here nor there.  Obviously some people love it and the company has made a lot of money from their streetwear game, if nothing else.

What’s the consensus on Clutch wood? And also, specifically Hopps decks which I’ve never tried (haven’t tried any clutch wood before either)

The boards I have skated were good, no issues.  There are definitely different presses, some boards felt so very close to BBS wood I had to check to see what I was riding sometimes when rolling on other people's boards.  Like many places, some are a lot steeper than others, some almost flat it would seem.  For the most part, they hold up just as well as any other pro quality wood, but like all of them, I have heard good and bad things said about BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Dwindle, etc.

DropInDropOut

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »

Perhaps Darkroom is also now Clutch (at least for the new drop)?
I was about to pick up one of the new ones thinking it was BBS (my preference) but seems they are “produced in the USA”. Not saying this is bad, just a change from what I expected. Anyone know for sure? (no shops near me stock so i cant check in person)

https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/siamese-snipe-skateboard-deck-8-0

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2021, 08:10:08 AM »
I’m pretty sure the new blood wizard deck I got is clutch and I’m loving the shape. Big full nose short stubby tail 31.75 long. If it lasts pretty well it kinda makes me want to try other shops that’s not bbs.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2021, 08:21:59 AM »
Been thinking of trying a Creature / Santa Cruz Everslick seem to be sold out at most places. Anyone have a review of the boards (outside Ben Degros) and a site selling them?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »

I was about to pick up one of the new ones thinking it was BBS (my preference) but seems they are “produced in the USA”. Not saying this is bad, just a change from what I expected. Anyone know for sure? (no shops near me stock so i cant check in person)

https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/siamese-snipe-skateboard-deck-8-0
The site has always said that and they themselves have posted on IG in the comments about being on generator wood. I would go for it. 90% sure it’s not clutch

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2021, 10:54:30 AM »
Here to say that Clutch wood feels great while it lasts.
Only boards I’ve snapped in a long time (only got 3/4 sessions in in the last one,) and not as impact resistant on the tips/rails as, say, BBS, but a real treat to ride, regardless.
Nice ‘cave, lively pop, pretty stiff, not too thick.
I feel like I may have had a random fluke for a breaker, but even having said that, I def wouldn’t mind riding them again.
In fact, I’m not 100% sure, but the I believe the Theories UFO 8.5” I’m on rite now is Clutch & I will for certain consider buying another when such need should arise.
Great shape for me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DropInDropOut

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The site has always said that and they themselves have posted on IG in the comments about being on generator wood. I would go for it. 90% sure it’s not clutch

Cool, yeah I think your right, I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m probably overthinking it due to all the chopping and changing of woodshops going on (really thankful for this thread!).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2021, 01:43:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Cool, yeah I think your right, I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m probably overthinking it due to all the chopping and changing of woodshops going on (really thankful for this thread!).

I do find it a bit funny when some companies have a " ... in USA" be it "Made" or whatever other wording, given that all these big woodshops all produce their boards outside of the USA and bring them back into the USA, sometimes with or without graphics, which then can be put on via heat transfer in a distribution warehouse in the USA.

I guess it is the same as a lot of other companies that have a mixed message about where things come from, not outright lies, but some shops and places like to put things on there that are often not exactly true.

BBS, PS Stix and Clutch are all made in Mexico, Dwindle in China, and very few woodshops still operating in the USA, as per info on the first page, second post.

Anyone else find this statement funny, if indeed BBS do the boards and heat transfers all in house, in Mexico:

"Produced in the USA with the highest quality wood and most functional shapes, these are some of the most solid decks in the industry."

* BBS are my preferred option for wood, so not knocking BBS or Darkroom, just curious more than anything, but also asking for clarification or calling bullshit on their statement.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2021, 07:01:55 AM »
Still think @pennswood is the best quality even though they were difficult to deal with. Anyone know if they're still operating at the moment?

DropInDropOut

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I do find it a bit funny when some companies have a " ... in USA" be it "Made" or whatever other wording, given that all these big woodshops all produce their boards outside of the USA and bring them back into the USA, sometimes with or without graphics, which then can be put on via heat transfer in a distribution warehouse in the USA.

I guess it is the same as a lot of other companies that have a mixed message about where things come from, not outright lies, but some shops and places like to put things on there that are often not exactly true.

BBS, PS Stix and Clutch are all made in Mexico, Dwindle in China, and very few woodshops still operating in the USA, as per info on the first page, second post.

Anyone else find this statement funny, if indeed BBS do the boards and heat transfers all in house, in Mexico:

"Produced in the USA with the highest quality wood and most functional shapes, these are some of the most solid decks in the industry."

* BBS are my preferred option for wood, so not knocking BBS or Darkroom, just curious more than anything, but also asking for clarification or calling bullshit on their statement.

I didn’t realise Clutch was in Mexico too, thanks for the info. I agree, that statement kinda was off putting, I love his art but also want wood I know/like, and the “highest quality wood/most functional shape/most solid decks” was kinda odd.
 I baulked and got a Polar instead.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
Scumco just got a run in on Clutch and has some more from Pennswood incoming per their IG story.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2021, 05:09:35 PM »
Scumco just got a run in on Clutch and has some more from Pennswood incoming per their IG story.
this news made my week

pennswood is so underrated, makes bbs feel like ps stix
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this news made my week

pennswood is so underrated, makes bbs feel like ps stix

That story said control not clutch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
Can anyone recommend an online shop that is good with posting WB specs AND usually has The Killing Floor? Tactics occasionally has them but not enough to kinda piece together what the specs are when new graphics come out and everyone else I’ve found with boards don’t post WB.

I heard people say they went from BBS to Clutch wood, but this is only what others have said - same distro as Isle, Hopps and a couple of others as per the woodshop thread.

Not sure how recent these are, but all have dimensions on here, which look like BBS boards, so maybe not quite so recent.  Isle on here definitely have BBS / Generator stamps.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Killing_Floor_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKKILLFLOOR.html

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2021, 10:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone recommend an online shop that is good with posting WB specs AND usually has The Killing Floor? Tactics occasionally has them but not enough to kinda piece together what the specs are when new graphics come out and everyone else I’ve found with boards don’t post WB.
[close]

I heard people say they went from BBS to Clutch wood, but this is only what others have said - same distro as Isle, Hopps and a couple of others as per the woodshop thread.

Not sure how recent these are, but all have dimensions on here, which look like BBS boards, so maybe not quite so recent.  Isle on here definitely have BBS / Generator stamps.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Killing_Floor_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKKILLFLOOR.html

TKF is definitely still Generator. Some of the one offs may be sourced elsewhere, but the main series is the same. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2021, 02:11:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

TKF is definitely still Generator. Some of the one offs may be sourced elsewhere, but the main series is the same.

Thanks!

Didn't think to check initially but their own website / store has a good list of stockists, so you can see if there are any closer to you, or where they often put them up online too:

https://the-killing-floor-skateboards.myshopify.com/pages/stockists