Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 204497 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2021, 02:12:20 AM »
Would a list of woodshops that included pics of top of board markings be good too?

Not sure if it would be too much information at the start or what.

I have been compiling some which would make it a whole lot easier for some people to reference and then be able to work out what the boards were, but I think there will still be a lot of others or generic boards with similar stickers on them so people could get confused and not know.

Eg

Clutch - usually (but not always) has a letter and a number stamped into the wood around the front bolt holes, then often the size in a dot sticker often over the stamp, or right beside it.

PS Stix - always has some sort of laser engraving information but mainly has SN# PS 39383837 type of info, which is the identifying info of that particular deck, the warning sticker usually higher up on the nose.

BBS - harder to tell with no sticker (unless it has Generator sticker) but often just a dot imprint around front bolts area and sometimes laser engraving for the specific brand, if not "Built by BBS" and size info, sometimes the warning sticker over the bolts, but usually just above the bolts.

Dwindle - laser engraving with serial number, size, brand info under the front bolts area, not between the front bolt holes.

Control - red white maple leaf sticker in between front bolts.

HLC - laser engraving with info on the deck, more often under the front bolts, but usually lower down closer to the back bolts in the middle area.

Generic manufacturer in China - usually just the size of the deck either between front bolts, just under it, or from another place, on the top or bottom under the back bolts, usually a bigger font.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:23:18 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ManimalChin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brands that seem to be in a few places / shops / countries I don't know about that I can see on some shop sites:

Vision (reissues)
[close]

They (allegedly) make their own boards in Costa Mesa, still. Along with Schmitt Stix, Hosoi, Elephant, Honey (longboards) and a couple others. I wish they would go back to silk screening.
[close]

Thanks.

I recall reading about it somewhere but just couldn't remember the name of the woodshop or where they were actually made.  I guess it is not a big deal really, but once I set my mind to something, I really want to make the list as complete as I can.

They are still in production but limited quantities, the wood is thicker and much more geared towards wall hangers (from the ones I have stood on) but I know there is still a market out there for those boards, much the same way that Powell boards still sell well, from Skate One.

I just got a Ken Park reissue because I love the graphics and they are still fun shapes to skate. No longer has the Made in USA sticker. Ive long suspected they were China boards. Would be kind of sad given that there are still a bunch of usable presses and molds from the old days at the Costa Mesa warehouse of Select (Vision).

I make boards myself so I will always enjoy riding those the most. Second to that, Id say BBS has it pretty dialed. Some smaller shops make pretty good boards too. My two favorite small shops right now are Watson in San Diego and Gnosis in the UK.

ManimalChin

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
A lot of shops use the front dot marking method on the front truck holes. I know several China shops do that.

My most recent BBS deck just has a Warning sticker about skating within your ability, with Made in Mexico around perimeter.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brands that seem to be in a few places / shops / countries I don't know about that I can see on some shop sites:

Vision (reissues)
[close]

They (allegedly) make their own boards in Costa Mesa, still. Along with Schmitt Stix, Hosoi, Elephant, Honey (longboards) and a couple others. I wish they would go back to silk screening.
[close]

Thanks.

I recall reading about it somewhere but just couldn't remember the name of the woodshop or where they were actually made.  I guess it is not a big deal really, but once I set my mind to something, I really want to make the list as complete as I can.

They are still in production but limited quantities, the wood is thicker and much more geared towards wall hangers (from the ones I have stood on) but I know there is still a market out there for those boards, much the same way that Powell boards still sell well, from Skate One.
[close]

I just got a Ken Park reissue because I love the graphics and they are still fun shapes to skate. No longer has the Made in USA sticker. Ive long suspected they were China boards. Would be kind of sad given that there are still a bunch of usable presses and molds from the old days at the Costa Mesa warehouse of Select (Vision).

I make boards myself so I will always enjoy riding those the most. Second to that, Id say BBS has it pretty dialed. Some smaller shops make pretty good boards too. My two favorite small shops right now are Watson in San Diego and Gnosis in the UK.

I realised I hadn't put Select in there, even though I follow them on Instagram, so added now.

Thanks for reminding me, as well as bumping my memory of Gnosis, who I also follow - amazing big wide boards and yellow tops which I thought were the best too...

ManimalChin

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
Are there any woodshops in Australia? My wife is over there working right now and keeps asking if I want anything skate related. Haven't been able to come up with anything yet.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
Are there any woodshops in Australia? My wife is over there working right now and keeps asking if I want anything skate related. Haven't been able to come up with anything yet.

No woodshops here as far as I know

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing on the scale of some other places, but still quite a few people doing boards themselves on a smaller scale.

I think the only one that really stands out that is a long lasting commercial venture is OMNI boards.

https://www.instagram.com/omni_boards/

Even just around Brisbane there are about four guys with presses and who make boards from time to time, but they are not well known and hardly come up on anything other than local radar.

One that makes carbon layered decks is this guy too, who is worth checking out:

https://www.instagram.com/dpressd_skateboards/

I cannot recall the others right now, but they are out there.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
just got the HUF x Street Fighter boards. not sure on woodshop. all the boards have “7K” etched on the top b

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »
just got the HUF x Street Fighter boards. not sure on woodshop. all the boards have “7K” etched on the top b

Clutch for sure

ManimalChin

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2021, 05:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nothing on the scale of some other places, but still quite a few people doing boards themselves on a smaller scale.

I think the only one that really stands out that is a long lasting commercial venture is OMNI boards.

https://www.instagram.com/omni_boards/

Even just around Brisbane there are about four guys with presses and who make boards from time to time, but they are not well known and hardly come up on anything other than local radar.

One that makes carbon layered decks is this guy too, who is worth checking out:

https://www.instagram.com/dpressd_skateboards/

I cannot recall the others right now, but they are out there.

Sweet. Hopefully she can find something in Sydney.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »
Maybe interesting for german pals:

B-lag shop decks are imported and made by bbs/ generator
https://www.blag-skateshop.de/decks/6984-decks-b-lag-skateboards-deck-750-875-3d.html

ManimalChin

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »
Just got a Plan B board from their site and it shipped immediately from Spain. No markings on the top. Good quality wood but I can't tell if they meant to only sand the bottom, Grosso style, or not. Kinda weird edge sanding. Also has dyed cross plies and middle core. Not complaining because I know sanding is one of the hardest parts of making boards. Curious where the board was made, though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2021, 03:28:37 AM »
Just got a Plan B board from their site and it shipped immediately from Spain. No markings on the top. Good quality wood but I can't tell if they meant to only sand the bottom, Grosso style, or not. Kinda weird edge sanding. Also has dyed cross plies and middle core. Not complaining because I know sanding is one of the hardest parts of making boards. Curious where the board was made, though.

Pre covid Plan B was always PS Stix.

From more recently, in South America and maybe the US or similar they were from Clutch, but they didn't have any stamp on top or other branding to identify them.

Anywhere in Europe, that is licenced to be on wood from HLC, which I think people have said is often not well rounded like some other woodshops, so that makes sense if it was from Spain.

This is almost completely just from what I have heard (being in Australia) and the most recent Plan B boards I have seen have been on very flat looking wood with long but mellow kicks and no other markings, stamps or tell to what wood shop they have come from, so I am assuming Clutch as per what people have said in other places.

@Xen had the info on those, if I recall correctly.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2021, 03:45:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Randomly sent it on a 8.5 Doomsayers deck that looked nice when I went in to my local, and turns out it is the exact same shape as my 8.5 Fitzgerald Hockey deck. Deck is a lot lighter overall, which is great IMO, but definitely was not expecting this.
[close]

[close]

The latest DSC is PS, but the one right before that was BBS. One before that was clutch. All are in shops. At least they changed the graphics though. I think hand screened is clutch, transfers are bbs or PS.

Yeah, it is a funny one.

Not sure how many of their boards there are around either, certainly none heading this way any time soon, from what I have heard, but who knows really.

ManimalChin

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2021, 08:33:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From more recently, in South America and maybe the US or similar they were from Clutch, but they didn't have any stamp on top or other branding to identify them.

Anywhere in Europe, that is licenced to be on wood from HLC, which I think people have said is often not well rounded like some other woodshops, so that makes sense if it was from Spain.

This is almost completely just from what I have heard (being in Australia) and the most recent Plan B boards I have seen have been on very flat looking wood with long but mellow kicks and no other markings, stamps or tell to what wood shop they have come from, so I am assuming Clutch as per what people have said in other places.

It is from HLC. Is that a factory as well as distribution? I just assumed this is how they were distributing through Europe. I'm in Los Angeles, though.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »
anyone know what woodshop uma is using?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2021, 10:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My last Plan B was def PSstix ('Sliced' deck), it was the most flat board I have ever ridden, tail was on the short side but literally felt like it had no kick (and this was coming off a primitive).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2021, 02:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It is from HLC. Is that a factory as well as distribution? I just assumed this is how they were distributing through Europe. I'm in Los Angeles, though.

HLC does everything there at their location, from looking at this which shows it best.

hlcdistribution
"We are a skateboarding manufacturing factory based in the Basque Country, north region of Spain..."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNUnC_go892/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNubx_lo4qk/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My last Plan B was def PSstix ('Sliced' deck), it was the most flat board I have ever ridden, tail was on the short side but literally felt like it had no kick (and this was coming off a primitive).

Yes the US versions were always PS Stix, as per a few I have here (older boards), but what I probably didn't make clear was the question of HLC wood, as you have had one or more.

Did I recall you saying that the edges didn't feel finished off or something?

Or what are your experiences with HLC wood?

Thanks!  :)

ManimalChin

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

HLC does everything there at their location, from looking at this which shows it best.

hlcdistribution
"We are a skateboarding manufacturing factory based in the Basque Country, north region of Spain..."

Cool thanks. And the edge sanding probably bothers some people but not really a big deal to me. Otherwise the deck is pretty high quality. The weirdest thing is probably the three dyed veneers in the middle.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2021, 03:32:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

hlcdistribution

[close]

Cool thanks. And the edge sanding probably bothers some people but not really a big deal to me. Otherwise the deck is pretty high quality. The weirdest thing is probably the three dyed veneers in the middle.

I don't give a shit about how smooth the edges are (no one should) but, you can tell that more consistent wood shop has better edges (DSM/NHS wood) and during the pandemmy, I'm sure that people are hustling so edges get less love.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2021, 05:57:59 AM »
Just picked up a Victoria deck from my local was wondering who presses them? They are a Hong Kong company so I dunno

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2021, 06:54:19 AM »
Any guesses on where Benny's getting the decks he talks about here made? From his description and the purple stain (I had one exactly like it, same shade and such) it seems they could be the Gangemi hand pressed wood that orchard has been using for shop decks.

http://youtu.be/MvJkD_S4oSs

Edit: The mellow concave and pointy nose/tail just sound exactly like the orchard decks I've been riding, and the stain seemed all too familiar as well. The thing is, Orchard doesn't have an 8.38 width available, but that's how wide the deck in the video is.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:03:14 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2021, 07:08:24 AM »
Any guesses on where Benny's getting the decks he talks about here made? From his description and the purple stain (I had one exactly like it, same shade and such) it seems they could be the Gangemi hand pressed wood that orchard has been using for shop decks.

Edit: The mellow concave and pointy nose/tail just sound exactly like the orchard decks I've been riding, and the stain seemed all too familiar as well. The thing is, Orchard doesn't have an 8.38 width available, but that's how wide the deck in the video is.

I thought it was this shop bc he has advertised their blanks

https://canadaskateshop.com/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2021, 07:14:39 AM »
anyone know what woodshop uma is using?

Tried posting earlier but I guess something was down...

Uma is on BBS

All the relevant info for woodshops and board brands is current and up to date on the first page, first three posts.

Anyone see anything that needs correcting, please let me know so I can update it accordingly.

:)

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2021, 07:24:52 AM »
I would put money on Ben Degros riding South Central. Slightly thicker, heavier, and almost too stiff. The shapes appear similar to my SC 8.25.

Edit: I’m already sitting in my garage next to my gear, and my 8.25 SC tapers slightly over the rear bolts as wellS

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2021, 08:21:28 AM »
Just picked up a Victoria deck from my local was wondering who presses them? They are a Hong Kong company so I dunno

You mean one of these decks?

https://victoriahongkong.com/collections/boards-1/products/klasse-wrecks-x-victoria-deck

DSM wood
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought it was this shop bc he has advertised their blanks

https://canadaskateshop.com/

wood shops can get their wood pre dyed from the supplier, so it’s not uncommon to have similar colors in the veneer

ManimalChin

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2021, 10:04:20 AM »
I don't give a shit about how smooth the edges are (no one should) but, you can tell that more consistent wood shop has better edges (DSM/NHS wood) and during the pandemmy, I'm sure that people are hustling so edges get less love.

I thought I responded to this yesterday but maybe it did not go through. Edge sanding is one of the steps in making decks that takes longer to learn. Workers can learn how to do a variety of things on the first hour of the first day on the job, but edge sanding really needs a team of guys who have experience making those edges really round. The Chinese factories can employ hundreds of people and edge sanding stations can have many guys who that's all they do. Same with BBS...I think they have like 15-20 guys who mostly edge sand decks.

Gotta give major props to guys who do this all day every day, because it sucks!! Lol. One of the most overlooked parts of a board, and one wrong movement and you've sanded off a good portion of your hand.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2021, 09:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You mean one of these decks?

https://victoriahongkong.com/collections/boards-1/products/klasse-wrecks-x-victoria-deck

DSM wood

So good - thanks!

At least they are very clear about their wood, which is somewhat refreshing to see.

As per that page:

- SEVEN PLY

- YELLOW, PINK, AND GREEN BOTTOM VANEER VARIATIONS CHOSEN RANDOMLY

- MADE IN CHINA BY DSM