Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206198 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2021, 02:55:44 AM »
Can anyone tell me the difference / who exactly is ASF Manufacturing, as I know it had been referred to as Clutch ASF before, but in going through things I think it would be good to clarify.

Clutch deleted their Instagram a while back, but there are other people and accounts I had been following and had looked up, including ASF and Julio De La Cruz believing they are all related.

https://www.instagram.com/asfmanufacturing/

ASF Manufacturing
Product/Service
High Quality Skateboard Manufacturing.
Premium American Maple.
In house Digital UV Printing.
Largest Shape Selection.
Brands & Distributors Only.
www.asfdistribution.com

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2021, 06:36:33 AM »
Anyone know if Krooked has changed woodshops ?

I just recieved the Kevin Taylor guest board yesterday, it had Roman numeral II engraved in between the front bolts. First time I’ve seen this for BBS.

It had the Made in Mexico sticker, but I don’t remember having a BBS this sloppy. The edges are sharp and some parts rougher than others, there’s places you can tell too much paint has been applied (leak marks) and it’s the widest 8.25 i’ve ever had, it’s somewhere in between an old 8.38 Killing Floor that’s on my wall and an 8.5 Passport I skated. I can’t find my tape measure, so I can’t measure it to the exact mm, but it’s wide for an 8.25

I wanted it for my wall, but those paint leak marks shine weird in the light.

I’ll be sticking to South Central once again, I find them to be the most consistent.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2021, 07:11:02 AM »

I just recieved the Kevin Taylor guest board yesterday, it had Roman numeral II engraved in between the front bolts. First time I’ve seen this for BBS.

It had the Made in Mexico sticker, but I don’t remember having a BBS this sloppy. The edges are sharp and some parts rougher than others, there’s places you can tell too much paint has been applied (leak marks)
The Roman Numeral is standard for DLXSF boards - its the number of the board on the press. (I-IV).
Pretty sure the "paint" leaking you are describing is just the dye on the veneers traveling through the glue and merging with the next veneer, because they don't actually use paint like other companies that screen-print their graphics, I think all of bbs are heat-transfers. As for the size - let's see what the tape says - heard a few recently about them printing graphics on the wrong shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2021, 03:40:50 AM »
Expand Quote

It had the Made in Mexico sticker, but I don’t remember having a BBS this sloppy. The edges are sharp and some parts rougher than others, there’s places you can tell too much paint has been applied (leak marks)
[close]
The Roman Numeral is standard for DLXSF boards - its the number of the board on the press. (I-IV).
Pretty sure the "paint" leaking you are describing is just the dye on the veneers traveling through the glue and merging with the next veneer, because they don't actually use paint like other companies that screen-print their graphics, I think all of bbs are heat-transfers. As for the size - let's see what the tape says - heard a few recently about them printing graphics on the wrong shape.

Firebert has it all covered - good answer :) - but I would be curious to see pics of the deck and what you are meaning regarding paint.  As far as board size, a popular thread for this sort of thing is this one:

DLX board sizes are always off

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.0

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My last two DLX <pandemic> boards have not had the roman numeral and they are 'new' pro boards (could be old stock planks with new paint tho).

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
Can anyone tell me the difference / who exactly is ASF Manufacturing, as I know it had been referred to as Clutch ASF before, but in going through things I think it would be good to clarify.

Clutch deleted their Instagram a while back, but there are other people and accounts I had been following and had looked up, including ASF and Julio De La Cruz believing they are all related.

ASF Manufacturing
Product/Service
Premium American Maple.
Largest Shape Selection.
www.asfdistribution.com

clutch was/is the distro, asf is the woodshop. similar to bbs being the mfg and generator being the customer facing distro.
iheard p-rod/primitive bought clutch

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2021, 03:54:28 PM »
Expand Quote

ASF Manufacturing
Product/Service
Premium American Maple.
Largest Shape Selection.
www.asfdistribution.com

[close]
clutch was/is the distro, asf is the woodshop. similar to bbs being the mfg and generator being the customer facing distro.

Source? Big if true.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2021, 07:20:29 AM »
This press date on these cowtown boards are neat. Anyone know who does this?

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
This press date on these cowtown boards are neat. Anyone know who does this?

Looks like it's done at someone's house who goes by the name of Grandma Skateboards

https://www.instagram.com/grandmaskateboards/

If you're going to support Made in USA, this is probably your best option (small, at-home workshops in general). Looks like he's in Albuquerque, NM.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
Anyone saw the newest Ben Degros video about the new blanks in his shop ? He didn't said what woodshop they are coming from, business secret bla bla, but I really dig the 8.25 shape he showed and wondered..
I'm in the EU so no chance to get me some from canada but maybe there's a chance to find one from a brand that uses the same woodshop.
Engraving looks like this
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:45:52 PM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »
Anyone saw the newest Ben Degros video about the new blanks in his shop ? He didn't said what woodshop they are coming from, business secret bla bla, but I really dig the 8.25 shape he showed and wondered..
I'm in the EU so no chance to get me some from canada but maybe there's a chance to find one from a brand that uses the same woodshop.

He seemed to imply that he genuinely didn’t know which woodshop it’s from and that he only knows it’s from China. Does that narrow down the options? How many Chinese woodshops are there?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He seemed to imply that he genuinely didn’t know which woodshop it’s from and that he only knows it’s from China. Does that narrow down the options? How many Chinese woodshops are there?
A few I guess.
I'm just curious because he said that these are the best boards they ever had in the shop. Thats s big statement in my opinion. So I would love to try one.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2021, 03:54:31 PM »

The dims on this match up exactly with a deck Element has put out. Maybe it's the same shop they use for Europe/PP. I'm in Canada and have ordered from Canada Skate Shop before but the WB on these is too long for me.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ASF Manufacturing
Product/Service
Premium American Maple.
Largest Shape Selection.
www.asfdistribution.com

[close]
[close]

Source? Big if true.
Wow. Good for Paul.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2021, 07:58:17 PM »

DSM and whoever PGI and girl get their boards from both do this. Stain looks more like PGI, but the shape and 14.25 wb don't really fit unless they got some new molds. Could just be another mystery china woodshop though

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »
Is there a clutch chart where it says the wheel bases for the size and shape? I know on their site like it has width and lengths but not the wheel bases. I saw some k shapes and was curious on what the wheel bases would be on 8.5 K and O shape

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

DSM and whoever PGI and girl get their boards from both do this. Stain looks more like PGI, but the shape and 14.25 wb don't really fit unless they got some new molds. Could just be another mystery china woodshop though

Way too many woodshops in China to pinpoint but it looks like one of the better ones that aren't PGI or DSM, though DSM has been working with smaller brands in Asia to put out local boards. DSM usually put the little green sticker on the rails with the cardboard insert.

I'm riding one from a China woodshop and the wood is really solid even after 3 weeks and heavy abuse (slamming frontside lipslides). Super steep kicks and concave, almost unforgiving for the first week.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2021, 10:40:04 PM »
I had been meaning to put up known woodshop tops with distinguishing info / laser engraving or other info, but this is a start from a while ago now, BBS for Element, but all their decks have "Made in Mexico" engraving / sticker too, as do PS Stix.

I guess that is not too hard to fake, but compared to the "Made in China" engraving or sticker on some of the more well known woodshops in China, or more commonly nothing at all from the unknown woodshops, they don't list where the decks are made.

The new Zero decks appear to be very similar to the newer Toy Machine decks here in Australia, nothing distinguishing on the deck at all, and Made in China on the sticker that also has the dimension info.  Still listed as top prices too, which is sad if they really are just cheaper boards from another unknown woodshop in China.  They could hold up well enough though, but I will never get one so I don't know.

Not too many other changes I have seen here from some of the skate shops I have been in, but Primitive all seem to be made in China now, which has already been mentioned before.  Funny if that is the case seeing as other comments have been along the lines of Clutch woodshop purchase but who knows.

Anyway, as said, this deck is BBS from a while ago, but info is listed in a different way to the other one posted above.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »
Is there a clutch chart where it says the wheel bases for the size and shape? I know on their site like it has width and lengths but not the wheel bases. I saw some k shapes and was curious on what the wheel bases would be on 8.5 K and O shape

A page back, but not sure if they updated the chart too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3558270;topicseen#msg3558270

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2021, 01:36:36 AM »
My wife got me a tired board for my birthday

They used to be PS Stix but never seen this marks before

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2021, 07:02:37 AM »

Clutch.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
Anybody knows where Poetic comes from? I thought it was HLC since is an European brand.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Clutch.

Thanks! I guess that brands make boards whatever they can nowadays...

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2021, 11:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3558270;topicseen#msg3558270

How can the 7.75 and 8" decks be the same length? The nose and tail are both 1/8" longer on the 8" deck. Shouldn't the overall length be 1/4" longer?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How can the 7.75 and 8" decks be the same length? The nose and tail are both 1/8" longer on the 8" deck. Shouldn't the overall length be 1/4" longer?

There can be some variation if they're measuring with concave depending on how steep it is, but usually not that much. It's probably a typo.

That being said it's pretty useless since clutch has different dims for each shape, so unless you're getting the exact shape that chart is for (which isn't specified) then it's probably going to be different. For example an O7 (8.25) is going to be around 31.5 or 31.6 length (t2t, no concave) with a 14.25wb while some of the more standard popsicle shaped 8.25s I've had (k/p/c shapes) have been 31.75 or 32 length and 14.5 wb. They've got something like a dozen popsicle stock shapes, and then a whole other slew of shaped boards. I'd either go to a shop with a measuring tape or ask for specifics from the company using them.

Just ballparking based on past clutch decks I've had, if it's one of the standard popsicles then I'd estimate the 8 will be somewhere around 31.7/8 and the 7.75 will be around 31.6. WB could be anything from 14-14.5, but I'd guess probably towards the lower end.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »
Thanks to all the replies.
I was hoping it would have been a PS Stix older FA, wanted to see what they were like; BBS I know and its my standard.
...Snoops cousin, ha! Dill is such a pickle.

@SHHHH,ITSDONE If you REALLY want to try one you can still get the PS ones on like grailed and ebay, but they're mostly from "reseller" kids who don't skate and think their FA deck is worth $200 because at one point they were the cool new thing (which is unfortunately now happening with strangelove as well). The last PS board was the Berle brothers slick, and the last class photo PS board was Berle as well.

Alternatively, if you're more interested in the wood/shape then the Snack square shape is pretty much the same thing. I think the new gkode chain and silver "most fried" decks are both on that shape. The only PS FA board I have left is a full dip berle class photo and the dims are 8.25" x 31.6" (just barely over 31.5 but I'll call it .6), 14.25" wb 6.5"T 7"N, so overall its a bit shorter and has a slightly shorter nose than the BBS. It's quite steep for a PS board but mine is a bit mellower than a BBS and the tail angle isn't as severe as steep. Nose is about the same.

You'll hear differing opinions on PS wood based on what people put a priority on and consider to be "good" wood. It's definitely different from BBS though. PS wood isn't as stiff and has a bit of flex to it, which makes it very light and snappy feeling. Some people mistake it for being "soggy" (I think because of the flex) but fresh PS wood is unmatched in pop in my opinion. The biggest negative is it's durability... it does razor tail and flatten out faster than BBS, so if you're the type of person who feels like they've been ripped off if they don't get 3 months out of a deck then it might not be the best choice. If you change decks fairly often or are one of those sick fucks who actually likes skating razor tailed decks then I would definitely recommend it.

One other thing to note - this won't be much of an issue if you go with the snack or another steep mold, but PS decks tend to be mellower and "flatter" than anything BBS makes. They don't have the big spoony pockets and usually have a much more subtle and gradual transition to the kicks, with fair bit of flat or almost flat space behind the bolts on a lot of the molds. There's also usually quite a bit of difference between the nose and tail angles, with PS tails tending to be quite a bit more mellow than either the nose or the tail of a BBS board. This makes the the tail hit the ground faster and is a big part of the snappy, responsive feel I mentioned earlier. It's great for old dudes who don't have the strength or stamina to consistently push a steep tail down over and over, or just people who prefer a flatter board.

If you have any questions or need some help finding one let me know. I keep a fairly close eye on all the PS wood that comes to market since it's my preferred manufacturer (other than south central, but only the E mold).

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2021, 03:30:25 PM »
Primitive switching to something other than BBS wasn't the best idea - I can already attest to at least one team rider trading boards for Anti Hero because he doesn't like the wood now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2021, 02:22:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There can be some variation if they're measuring with concave depending on how steep it is, but usually not that much. It's probably a typo.

That being said it's pretty useless since clutch has different dims for each shape, so unless you're getting the exact shape that chart is for (which isn't specified) then it's probably going to be different. For example an O7 (8.25) is going to be around 31.5 or 31.6 length (t2t, no concave) with a 14.25wb while some of the more standard popsicle shaped 8.25s I've had (k/p/c shapes) have been 31.75 or 32 length and 14.5 wb. They've got something like a dozen popsicle stock shapes, and then a whole other slew of shaped boards. I'd either go to a shop with a measuring tape or ask for specifics from the company using them.

Just ballparking based on past clutch decks I've had, if it's one of the standard popsicles then I'd estimate the 8 will be somewhere around 31.7/8 and the 7.75 will be around 31.6. WB could be anything from 14-14.5, but I'd guess probably towards the lower end.

I definitely noticed inconsistencies on that chart too but someone else posted it and it was the closest thing to what was asked for.

Funny how some are longer or shorter which just does not add up, eg more so on the two wider boards as that is my size, but the K shape in 8.5 I have is correct to those dimensions, with a 14.5 wheelbase and decent kicks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2021, 07:00:13 AM »
Girl has been doing a bit more PS......

My hot take is the China boards are better....

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:13 AM »
Girl has been doing a bit more PS......

My hot take is the China boards are better....

Truth.