Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206144 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2021, 05:56:16 AM »
Page 12...   

I am going to try to add more board pics to posts like this too, then cut and paste them to the first page, but I didn't want to post a heap here and flood the thread or have replies that repost the same images over and over.

A few differences in woodshop tops I have found, as per previous Toy Machine boards, here is a PS Stix (not an unknown but stickered "Made in China" board) or a laser engraved monster logo of unknown origin that I posted on the previous page.

Welcome PS Stix top

Santa Cruz / Dwindle tops - two pics as they have different looks / product number lines

Madness / Dwindle top

Almost / Dwindle top including renewal logo over back truck bolts in second pic

Chocolate / China top

Girl / China top

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:35:45 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2021, 03:45:05 PM »
Page 12...   

I am going to try to add more board pics to posts like this too, then cut and paste them to the first page, but I didn't want to post a heap here and flood the thread or have replies that repost the same images over and over.

A few differences in woodshop tops I have found, as per previous Toy Machine boards, here is a PS Stix (not an unknown but stickered "Made in China" board) or a laser engraved monster logo of unknown origin that I posted on the previous page.

Welcome PS Stix top

Santa Cruz / Dwindle tops - two pics as they have different looks / product number lines

Madness / Dwindle top

Chocolate / China top

Girl / China top

great work

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
Looks like Clutch did Ben dirty

https://youtu.be/9AmGne73Xh0
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2021, 05:35:04 PM »

Props to him for being honest, but damn, I'd never buy a board if the person selling them gave that review. I hope he told the manufacturer to get bent. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #334 on: June 26, 2021, 11:02:53 PM »
Page 12...   

Welcome PS Stix top

Madness / Dwindle top

Chocolate / China top

Girl / China top

Chefs kiss, thanks @Mbrimson88!

Expand Quote

[close]

Props to him for being honest, but damn, I'd never buy a board if the person selling them gave that review. I hope he told the manufacturer to get bent. 

How the fuck did that happen? Did they forget about his order for 9 months and just pulled some pricepoint quality boards to dip and screen the graphics on? I expect this level of shadiness from a woodshop in China, not a reputable woodshop in North America. My guess is Clutch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #335 on: June 26, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
Clutch threw a lot of people straight under the bus this last year.
The last straw for me was retroactively raising the price (significantly) on a 10 month old invoice.
They also basically extorted their existing customers while pushing a “support small, we all in this together” marketing campaign. They deleted their Instagram once people started calling them out.

Dirty pool

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2021, 11:56:25 PM »
The last straw for me was retroactively raising the price (significantly) on a 10 month old invoice.
They also basically extorted their existing customers while pushing a “support small, we all in this together” marketing campaign. They deleted their Instagram once people started calling them out.

Dirty pool

"support small, we all in this together"
*raises prices on late invoice*

I know businesses typically have a late payment penalty clause in contracts / invoices, but doing that in 2020 is scummy.

"They deleted their Instagram once people started calling them out. "

I was wondering what happened to the page, all makes sense now.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2021, 05:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Dirty pool
[close]

I know businesses typically have a late payment penalty clause in contracts / invoices, but doing that in 2020 is scummy.

Wasn't there people calling them out for extremely delayed orders too?

Like it goes both ways. If your not holding up your end with schedule. Then it's pretty rich to retroactively raise prices.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2021, 06:06:59 AM »

Interesting that they prefer this "mystery woodshop from China" than a big reputable woodshop, but it also stands to reason that any board that is "dipped" is almost always just cheap / budget wood that they know they can pass off as whatever they want, as per all the dipped boards I have had over the years and similar experiences everyone else has had, eg not been happy with the wood quality.

I could liken that review to some other price point boards from well known big suppliers from almost all top brands - they have their pro wood and they have the cheaper stuff, and for most you can really tell the difference - no matter what they call it or special branding they put on it...

Anyway, just one of those things and as I am obsessed with looking at the tops of boards, I saw this after watching the video so thought it would be good to post here too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPs_PV0FCFN/

douchenozzle

• Rep: 31
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2021, 06:46:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Dirty pool
[close]

[close]

Like it goes both ways. If your not holding up your end with schedule. Then it's pretty rich to retroactively raise prices.
Not to mention the quality of their wood is questionable. Shady tactics hiding under the American flag

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #340 on: June 27, 2021, 06:50:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Dirty pool
[close]

[close]

[close]
Not to mention the quality of their wood is questionable. Shady tactics hiding under the American Mexican flag.
They’re made in Mexico too.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #341 on: June 27, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »

Interesting that they prefer this "mystery woodshop from China" than a big reputable woodshop, but it also stands to reason that any board that is "dipped" is almost always just cheap / budget wood that they know they can pass off as whatever they want, as per all the dipped boards I have had over the years and similar experiences everyone else has had, eg not been happy with the wood quality.

I could liken that review to some other price point boards from well known big suppliers from almost all top brands - they have their pro wood and they have the cheaper stuff, and for most you can really tell the difference - no matter what they call it or special branding they put on it...

Anyway, just one of those things and as I am obsessed with looking at the tops of boards, I saw this after watching the video so thought it would be good to post here too.

In defense of dipped boards, I've had some Hockey decks that were top tier. 3 colored plies, graphic screened over the dip, and wood that last and kept its pop for months. Can't say enough good things about the few I've had.

Part of me wonders if the mystery woodshop is what Crail uses and they're protecting their source. Ben posted some positive reviews of some of their boards and the etching on the top looks kind of similar.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: June 27, 2021, 07:58:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In defense of dipped boards, I've had some Hockey decks that were top tier. 3 colored plies, graphic screened over the dip, and wood that last and kept its pop for months. Can't say enough good things about the few I've had.

Part of me wonders if the mystery woodshop is what Crail uses and they're protecting their source. Ben posted some positive reviews of some of their boards and the etching on the top looks kind of similar.

Curious was it BBS or PS Stix?

To be fair too, in looking back over pics, that is actually now three brands that I have seen dipped boards from BBS that have had coloured ply layers inside them - two I knew from DLX,  Bakerboys / Birdhouse and as you have said Hockey / FA that makes three, but another two or more BBS I had seen recently were just plain wood and were so soft, just like their price point boards with people breaking them pretty quickly, sad to say.

I wanted to try these other new ones I saw recently in another shop (or even scratch off some paint to check underneath), but I will never ride a dipped board again - most I remember being older PS Stix (Black Label), most of the NHS / Santa Cruz reissues and a few others from woodshops I cannot recall right now.

That Instagram pic is of the Ben DG "steep and sturdy" deck, as per the red stain blank he holds up in the last clip and has skated before.  It is getting harder to tell as most of those unknown woodshops now all have a bit more tech laser etching process, but many still have slightly different font or order of things, but as you said, I wouldn't be surprised if it is from that woodshop too.

I am always happy to be corrected and would much rather have accurate information from anyone else than my own often muddled thoughts on things like dipped boards too.

Interesting to see more info come to light about those boards, if indeed they are from Clutch.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #343 on: June 27, 2021, 08:07:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Curious was it BBS or PS Stix?

To be fair too, in looking back over pics, that is actually now three brands that I have seen dipped boards from BBS that have had coloured ply layers inside them - two I knew from DLX,  Bakerboys / Birdhouse and as you have said Hockey / FA that makes three, but another two or more BBS I had seen recently were just plain wood and were so soft, just like their price point boards with people breaking them pretty quickly, sad to say.

I wanted to try these other new ones I saw recently in another shop (or even scratch off some paint to check underneath), but I will never ride a dipped board again - most I remember being older PS Stix (Black Label), most of the NHS / Santa Cruz reissues and a few others from woodshops I cannot recall right now.

That Instagram pic is of the Ben DG "steep and sturdy" deck, as per the red stain blank he holds up in the last clip and has skated before.  It is getting harder to tell as most of those unknown woodshops now all have a bit more tech laser etching process, but many still have slightly different font or order of things, but as you said, I wouldn't be surprised if it is from that woodshop too.

I am always happy to be corrected and would much rather have accurate information from anyone else than my own often muddled thoughts on things like dipped boards too.

Interesting to see more info come to light about those boards, if indeed they are from Clutch.

All the good dipped Hockey boards were BBS. Other than a Tired that I use as my cruiser I've had pretty negative experiences with PS over the last few years.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: June 27, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I doubt so, there are 100s of woodshops in China, maybe more and I'm sure agents / middlemen hold their cards very close to their chest when it comes to supplier / client lists. Crail probably has huge order commitments (10k a batch or more) with the woodshop, unlikely this manufacturer would work with Canada Skate Shop with a fraction of the ordering capacity. If you go on Alibaba you can chat with manufactures of varying quality, for as little as 200 boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2021, 03:02:20 AM »
This was the post I was trying to find earlier to put up with the other one.

Says capacity 30,000 decks a month.

Seems like a lot, but it is probably a lot more than some other places.

BBS still the biggest at 10,000 a day?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQoEaKsF-oB/

Another one just tossed in there too - Dwindle regrowth logos, all printed, none burned into the decks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COSybxTBNj4/

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2021, 06:48:08 PM »
I got a Space Program deck today.  It has a single dot, on top, between the front truck bolts.

Are they 100% BBS?

Has a great shape and concave.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: June 29, 2021, 05:18:18 AM »
I got a Space Program deck today.  It has a single dot, on top, between the front truck bolts.

Are they 100% BBS?

Has a great shape and concave.

That is what I was told, older stock was from Quincy or similar, but all the normal / current stock is on BBS, with the tell as you said, the single dot, usually a fairly blunt round mark right in the middle of the front bolts area.

This is not to be confused with a sharp pointed hit or minimal x like a very small phillips screwdriver mark, which is more common on the unknown woodshops from China.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #348 on: June 30, 2021, 03:47:08 AM »
Is this the right place for shape questions?

Im looking for a 8.5 or preferably a 8.625 (to fit My 8.75 trucks) thats longer than normal. I need a 14.5-14.75 wheelbase to make sure the board is longer than a normal 8.5 so there's enough room for my legs.

Any brands out there that got the extra length & wb?

My friends new deck was a 8.5 * 32.6 with a 14.75 wb which seems really rare but I really dont feel like buying a element board..

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: June 30, 2021, 04:19:47 AM »

Im looking for a 8.5 or preferably a 8.625 (to fit My 8.75 trucks) thats longer than normal. I need a 14.5-14.75 wheelbase to make sure the board is longer than a normal 8.5 so there's enough room for my legs.

My friends new deck was a 8.5 * 32.6 with a 14.75 wb which seems really rare but I really dont feel like buying a element board..

Funny you mention that Element deck, as it is BBS and they do a few that are out there, such as UMA Landsleds - also having an 8.5 with a 14.75 wheelbase, as did some DLX boards too that I have, but they are going more towards the shorter wheelbases nowdays.

There are a few others too, including the AH eagle cream background 8.62 with 14.75 wheelbase, as per most of their other 8.62 width DLX boards - again just not the Cardiel shape as that is shorter.

As for other brands, Madness does something around that size and wb, Jack Fardell pro model.

I saw a few locally here too from unknown woodshops so most likely not something you could get in UK / EU - is that where you are?

This just happened to come up earlier today and I was going to post in this thread anyway, just another board brand with an unknown / miscellaneous supplier most likely from China with the size over the back bolt area and no idea about wheelbase on that one, but the others with similar stamps had longer than normal wheelbases.

Also didn't realise this lot are Dutch:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQtYr76FjIX/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:26:42 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #350 on: June 30, 2021, 05:48:40 AM »

Bacon has so 14.75wb. But they may be 8.75 wide

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: June 30, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

I realised I forgot to put the AH catalog pic in too, first one:

8.62 x 32.56 with 14.75 wheelbase

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:46:11 PM by Mbrimson88 »

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #352 on: June 30, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

have to agree with you: all dipped FA + Hockey boards I had (all BBS) where top quality and lasted forever.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: July 02, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Looks like (they) did Ben dirty

[close]

@rocklobster

Confirmed by the board pics, as you guys said.

https://canadaskateshop.com/product/8-25-exploding-wasp-graphic-skateboard-deck/

https://canadaskateshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/IMG_20210621_213300_822-scaled.jpg

https://canadaskateshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/IMG_20210621_213932_208-scaled.jpg

Not that big a deal (apart from the obvious issues as stated from the video - paid for pro wood in specific shapes and sizes, got something else and had to wait a super long time for it), but to be decent and honest too, they have not specifically said who the boards are from, so are not trying to burn the supplier, but if that was me, I would be pretty pissed too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2021, 11:50:32 PM »
Bought a tactic board on the go skate day sale. This one was a painted color rather than a exposed stain like some. But it did have this this even better 3 color stain under.

Also got some bones 99s

It was the tactic icon shop deck. In lavander. Some are clearly exposed stain at the the bottom. This one was not. I thought it was generally accepted that tactics uses bbs for shop boards. I know this stain colorway was in the clutch catalog way back, but I also know woodshops can get their veneers from the same place ore died.

Theres no identifying marks other than the notch.

That looks pretty cool.

EDIT:  Just the dot between the front bolts = BBS then.

Thanks for the info.

And yes I thought it has been said before Tactics are all BBS but then seeing that made me think it might have been a certain other lot of wood if they couldn't get more from the usual supplier.

Is it Clutch wood (stamped letter and number between the front bolts?

Looks just like this one at any rate:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 05:01:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2021, 04:32:08 PM »

A couple of interesting things to see if you zoom in on Instagram posts:

New Doom Sayers are looking like the PS Stix tops, sticker up above on the nose and laser etching I just cannot quite make out but it looks like the right amount of lines and stuff in the same place as usual.

The fifth frame

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ1__4fBPeN/

The Carpet Co (BBS wood) always do cool things.

Special hand screened and info like number every board, looks like a rubber stamp on the underside.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ33pCGpbrW/

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
Here’s a pic of a clutch boards top

Everyone I’ve had is the same, small sticker with the size and stamped number/letter. In this case O9

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
not sure if this has been said already but I saw a skate mental board at the shop the other day and it was deff clutch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: July 05, 2021, 03:22:32 PM »
Here’s a pic of a clutch boards top

Everyone I’ve had is the same, small sticker with the size and stamped number/letter. In this case O9

not sure if this has been said already but I saw a skate mental board at the shop the other day and it was deff clutch

Thanks - list updated.

Crazy to think how many board brands are using Clutch now too, who might have used BBS or PS Stix before.

I guess they are picking up all the brands who have been left out or cannot get boards.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: July 05, 2021, 03:33:10 PM »
I know this has been posted before in other places, but woodshop tours don't get much more in depth than this:

Tour of BBS woodshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbNQ1dLKGU

Tour of HLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL95owgph20

Tour of Drifter Skateboard Manufacturing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSks7-1PIcw

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:42:15 PM by Mbrimson88 »