Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206605 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • a short part avatar image
i don't know if it's already been mentionned

I spotted that quarterdist sticker on some Poetic collective boards (Summer 21)
And on some Magenta team boards during Summer 20 when it was tricky to get boards pressed at BBS (their usual woodshop).

Might consider Quarter Dist for a batch of shop boards, any feedback welcome !

I had a few decks from Quarter Dist since they are only 20 minutes away from me. Compared to the usual DLX shapes, those are a bit more mellow and have like one finger of flat before the kicks. I wasn't able to break any of these decks, but the concave wasn't really for me. But good decks nonetheless.
IG: @flowterspace

[email protected]

• Rep: 3
Hi all,

Just wanted to show my gratitude to Slap and the community on here for showing support and adding us to the list of 2021 woodshops.  I had an influx of leads from it and I had no idea where it was coming from until I asked.  I just saw a couple clients of mine on here uploading pics of our sample decks and saying good things.  Appreciate you all!

Just a little background for whoever is curious:

We ran a small board brand out of a tiny office space in Colorado up until about mid 2020.  We had a heat transfer machine and started printing decks for a few other brands.  When the board shortage hit, we had 2 options..  Close down and quit while we're ahead or take a massive risk and try manufacturing ourselves.  We got lucky and found some equipment from another manufacturer that closed down, and were also lucky enough to bring on some guys at the beginning that were experienced board makers.

After all the craziness across the industry, supply shortages, extended lead times, lack of communication, and rising prices..  We aimed to be the opposite of that, but quickly learned why the other manufacturers were struggling so much.  Our veneer supplier cut us off and the glue shortage hit shortly after.  It almost put us under and it delayed some of our orders, but we managed to survive through it. 

At this point, we have 4 wood suppliers and are only backed up about 22,000 decks with no signs of supply shortages coming back anytime soon.  Hoping to catch up by the end of the year and continue to grow!  If anyone out there is still struggling to get decks made, we do have some spots open to reserve decks for early next year.  We're also looking for potential partners and investors to help us to continue growing.  We only have about 10,000 sq feet, but we have room in our building to grow if we lease the space next door.  Our vision is to be the biggest manufacturer in the world, we're ready to roll out our expansion plan with robotics, automated lacquer spraying booths, conveyor belts, a 5 axis CNC machine, and the ability to print heat transfers in house with a flatbed UV printer.

Anyway, that went on longer than anticipated.  Thanks again to everyone showing love out there!  If anyone needs boards or is interested in helping us make this expansion plan happen, hit me up!  [email protected] / (805) 236-6528

PS: here's an unlisted link to a little manufacturing edit I'm working on for a new drop we're doing.  Check it!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
got a new Primitive P Rod gold pack 8.25 and it says made in the USA. Any idea what woodshop this comes from? My Primitive decks usually say made in Mexico (BBS)

The two options, re "Made in USA" stickers or branding, include the few woodshops still operating in the USA (Anno Domini being one of them - info above), as per the first page, second post, or as per others I have seen, clearly their boards come from somewhere else in the world and the heat transfer graphic is applied in the USA so then they say they are made in the USA, which is somewhere between not entirely true, to a straight up lie, but who knows, as they are usually bound by secrecy and the woodshops in question would most likely not give much information either.

If you are familiar with the concaves of certain woodshops, you could make an educated guess as to which woodshop, along with any markings on the deck itself (not so much the "Made in..." sticker, but even that might be of interest if you could take pics and post here for everyone to see, as per others posting info in this thread.

It all helps and is of interest to see.

Thanks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Some unique size stickers from a recently added woodshop:

juniormint

• Rep: 140
Sorry if it has been answered already, but does anybody know if the non price point euro Alien Workshop boards are BBS or PS? The ones I am seeing are made in Mexico. Any help greatly appreciated.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Sorry if it has been answered already, but does anybody know if the non price point euro Alien Workshop boards are BBS or PS? The ones I am seeing are made in Mexico. Any help greatly appreciated.

last one i had was ps stix, it was around april or may
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

juniormint

Expand Quote
[close]

Hmm ok, thanks for that. I've emailed the shop to ask, the shape and dimensions really good. Hopefully they are using BBS now, the last PS boards I have had have been so hit and miss.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

The cheap looking all natural ply I saw had "Made in China" on them, but that was not the most recent stock.

If they have Mexico on them, they are most likely BBS, as per all AWS and Habitat decks from more recent drops that have come out here, but that might not be the same as other areas around the world.

Any other info, including their reply or a link to the listing would also be good to see.

Where was that bought from and do you know if it was a current deck or old stock?

Thanks.

juniormint

Expand Quote
[close]

The cheap looking all natural ply I saw had "Made in China" on them, but that was not the most recent stock.

If they have Mexico on them, they are most likely BBS, as per all AWS and Habitat decks from more recent drops that have come out here, but that might not be the same as other areas around the world.

Any other info, including their reply or a link to the listing would also be good to see.

Expand Quote

[close]

Where was that bought from and do you know if it was a current deck or old stock?

Thanks.

Here's the link - https://www.freedomskateshop.at/de/skate/skateboard/decks/alien-workshop-visitor-8-75-deck

Laser etched Workshop logo between upper holes, other than that can't see anything telling.

juniormint

I think it could be BBS because in the deck description of Quasi boards on the site for instance, they name PS, but for other BBS pressed boards like Hockey they just say made in Mexico like the AWS. Will report back when I receive a reply.

z_tx

• Rep: 26
i've skated 5 or 6 AWS/Habitat decks within the past year and they were all bbs

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • a short part avatar image
First of all, I am sorry to bring that up again.

I ordered my AWS decks at that shop too, and they all had a made in china sticker on it. Check the barcode. The top looked like that, even with that regrowth laser stamp or however that is called, which I only knew from Dwindle:

AWS in Europe is confusing. But the deck was awesome.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
i've skated 5 or 6 AWS/Habitat decks within the past year and they were all bbs

Prior to 2020 they were BBS, probably at the height of the pandemic they shifted to Dwindle (hence the regrowth logo), but now it's back to BBS.

Just my suspicion.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

juniormint

Heard back from the shop who confirmed they are BBS.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

It is always nice when someone from a shop does reply with information.

I know some shops are really good with that sort of thing, but some others wouldn't know what you are talking about - one guy in a shop I went into asked "What's the difference?" when I wanted to check out the top of a board to see which woodshop it came from.  I tried to help him understand a few little things, but I could see he looked like he just didn't want to know or care...  That shop did sell scooters though, so no big deal there.

FrozenIndustries

First of all, I am sorry to bring that up again.

I ordered my AWS decks at that shop too, and they all had a made in china sticker on it. Check the barcode. The top looked like that, even with that regrowth laser stamp or however that is called, which I only knew from Dwindle:

AWS in Europe is confusing. But the deck was awesome.

Is it just me or do the DSM-pressed Alien boards look a little less boxy than the North American versions? Makes me want one.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
I have an AWS from here in Australia of recent times - is BBS
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

How is yours, after those other boards you weren't so keen on?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Not sure if this has been posted but I wish more brands had a shape directory like Crailtap,

https://crailtap.com/shapes

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks.

i bought it from the polish distributor, which is called monument. it was a spectrum deck, current i believe because all the other graphics they had were still on the aws website back when i bought it. it had that sticker with a stickman falling off a set of stairs (which i thought was a ps thing) and the specs were off, by that i mean that it was listed as longer than it really was. the website said 32.25, i measured it tip to tip and it was about 31.9 or something like that, can't really remember exactly but i'm sure that it felt shorter than 32.25. i know that ps measures their boards with the concave so that would explain the 32.25 length too.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Not sure if this has been posted but I wish more brands had a shape directory like Crailtap,

It is great.   

I haven't skated crail ever, but was poking around.  Do they use the same concave across shapes?  I was just comparing the G053 and G033 shapes.  Both are 8.5x32.  Are these the same mold with the truck holes drilled in different places?  If so, it looks like the G053 would be good on Ace and the G033 on Thunder.  Anyone skate both of these?

G053:
8.5" x 32"
Wheelbase: 14.4375"
Nose: 6.875"
Tail: 6.4875"

G033:
8.5" x 32"
Wheelbase: 14.25"
Nose: 6.925"
Tail: 6.625"

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

How is yours, after those other boards you weren't so keen on?

Honestly, have not skated yet, it's next on the list. I grabbed a WKND (Ps Stix) because Aus Post was taking too long. So far the WKND is holding up pretty well, prob give it another week and then swap over.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Thanks!

Never really looked too hard at Crailtap boards, but that definitely helps with a lot of the information.

Beats going to some online stores that post their own specs (some quite different to the actual measurements) with clear pictures of the top outline as well.

nekro

• Rep: 8
I just bought an Alien Workshop deck and it says Made in China which I'm disappointed about - does this need to be added to the list?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I bought it from the polish distributor, which is called monument. it was a spectrum deck, current i believe because all the other graphics they had were still on the aws website back when i bought it. it had that sticker with a stickman falling off a set of stairs (which i thought was a ps thing) and the specs were off, by that i mean that it was listed as longer than it really was. the website said 32.25, i measured it tip to tip and it was about 31.9 or something like that, can't really remember exactly but i'm sure that it felt shorter than 32.25. i know that ps measures their boards with the concave so that would explain the 32.25 length too.

Thanks!

The PS Stix boards usually have the sticker a bit higher up on the nose, as the area between the bolts always has the laser engraving with the serial number, eg  SN # PS 101124-323

If it just had the laser etched AWS logo, it was probably BBS.

Both are made in Mexico.

I just bought an Alien Workshop deck and it says Made in China which I'm disappointed about - does this need to be added to the list?

Are you still in the UK, or the shop was UK based?

Seems the Alien Workshop decks for the USA (and here in AU) are BBS, made in Mexico, but the boards that are in some EU places are a mix of BBS, but also some from China, from Dwindle or other woodshop there.

juniormint

Just received and can confirm the AWS board I bought from the Austrian shop is BBS. Such a good looking shape, really looking forward to setting it up. Must be the case that there is still old pandemic Dwindle stock floating around.

al_cvbrera

is it just me or is toy machine wood really bad? i had dashawn jordan’s pro model deck a couple months back and idk if its because the bottom ply wasn’t stained or what, but the wood felt like it was price point wood.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
is it just me or is toy machine wood really bad? i had dashawn jordan’s pro model deck a couple months back and idk if its because the bottom ply wasn’t stained or what, but the wood felt like it was price point wood.

Other people have said much the same thing.

Seems with pandemic issues, things went a bit weird, but again depending on where you are in the world, you might have one of a few different woodshop supplied Toy Machine decks.

People had said (and pics show from US shops) that there were BBS and PS Stix boards, but here in AU, they all have "Made in China" stickers on them and the concaves and shapes were something I would just put back on the shelf / rack and not look back, from the boards I had seen here.

Pics and info here from earlier in this thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3589002;topicseen#msg3589002

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3579572;topicseen#msg3579572

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy

Updated the list with a few more I found.

As per some other shops, this one is rad to have board manufacturer on some brands too:

https://www.eastsiderollinskateboards.com/decks

Merde - BBS

Last Day - South Central

Nonexistent - BBS

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MaXX_I-D

Has anyone skated an Ishod 8.0 or 8.25 twin tail and a deck with a 14.38 wb? They’re supposed to be a 14.3 and 14.33 wb so I was wondering if there was actually a noticeable difference.