Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 204540 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Does anyone have leads for a 8.25x32.25 deck with a 14.5 wb? I'm basically looking for a slightly smaller version of the 8.38 DLX shape since that one measures closer to 8.5

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Has anyone skated an Ishod 8.0 or 8.25 twin tail and a deck with a 14.38 wb? They’re supposed to be a 14.3 and 14.33 wb so I was wondering if there was actually a noticeable difference.

It all depends on how particular you are with the wheelbase, along with the concave and feel of the boards, especially given there can be differences in concave between different DLX boards too.

Re different wheelbases, to put into perspective, these are the conversions:

14.3"   = 36.32 cm
14.33" = 36.39 cm  + .07 cm
14.38" = 36.52 cm  + .13 cm / + .2 cm total

So about 2mm is the difference, which might be ever so slight, but can be felt ever so slightly.

If it changes things, I would be inclined to say nothing that a session or two wouldn't fix really, to get your muscle memory used to the change.

From a few boards I have that are much the same, one with 14.25 and most with 14.38 or 14.5 wheelbases, I can definitely feel the difference between the 14.25 and the others (6 mm), but not anywhere near as much between the 14.38 and 14.5 wb (3 mm) boards.

The difference between a normal shape (nose about 6.8 to 7") to a twin with both kicks about 6.5 to 6.6 was more noticeable to me than the different wheelbase.

Fhk

Are all Quasi decks band aid shaped?

MaXX_I-D

Expand Quote
Has anyone skated an Ishod 8.0 or 8.25 twin tail and a deck with a 14.38 wb? They’re supposed to be a 14.3 and 14.33 wb so I was wondering if there was actually a noticeable difference.
[close]

It all depends on how particular you are with the wheelbase, along with the concave and feel of the boards, especially given there can be differences in concave between different DLX boards too.

Re different wheelbases, to put into perspective, these are the conversions:

14.3"   = 36.32 cm
14.33" = 36.39 cm  + .07 cm
14.38" = 36.52 cm  + .13 cm / + .2 cm total

So about 2mm is the difference, which might be ever so slight, but can be felt ever so slightly.

If it changes things, I would be inclined to say nothing that a session or two wouldn't fix really, to get your muscle memory used to the change.

From a few boards I have that are much the same, one with 14.25 and most with 14.38 or 14.5 wheelbases, I can definitely feel the difference between the 14.25 and the others (6 mm), but not anywhere near as much between the 14.38 and 14.5 wb (3 mm) boards.

The difference between a normal shape (nose about 6.8 to 7") to a twin with both kicks about 6.5 to 6.6 was more noticeable to me than the different wheelbase.
Thanks for the info!

I didn’t even think about the nose.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Does anyone have leads for a 8.25x32.25 deck with a 14.5 wb? I'm basically looking for a slightly smaller version of the 8.38 DLX shape since that one measures closer to 8.5

Have you tried the normal 8.25 DLX shape?

It is 8.25 x 32 with a 14.38 wb and actually feels like a slightly bigger board, without it being that big.

The 8.38 is my go to as I feel like it is way more nimble than the usual 8.5 boards, but apart from the older 8.25 FULL shape which is those exact dimensions you asked about, I don't think there are that many that come up with 14.5 wheelbase - everything else is coming out in shorter wheelbases more often than not nowdays.

I had a look around and didn't see much, but that is not to say that there isn't something out there in those dimensions.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you tried the normal 8.25 DLX shape?

It is 8.25 x 32 with a 14.38 wb and actually feels like a slightly bigger board, without it being that big.

The 8.38 is my go to as I feel like it is way more nimble than the usual 8.5 boards, but apart from the older 8.25 FULL shape which is those exact dimensions you asked about, I don't think there are that many that come up with 14.5 wheelbase - everything else is coming out in shorter wheelbases more often than not nowdays.

I had a look around and didn't see much, but that is not to say that there isn't something out there in those dimensions.

Yeah the normal 8.25 is likely going to be my fall back option. I had a couple grey eagles before, but I feel like I might lose a little too much off the nose since I want to setup thunder ti’s on them. Probably all in my head I’m sure it’ll work fine lol.

I completely forgot about the non-SE full shapes. I hope they bring that back soon.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Are all Quasi decks band aid shaped?

Were you meaning very wide / rounded off / stubby looking and not pointy kicks?

Quasi are PS Stix, which seem to have more commonly a big wide nose to tapering stubby tail shape, which is fairly common all round, but I guess some brands will have shapes that people like more or less, compared to a pointy Baker, or a squared FA / Hockey, the Quasi boards seem to be about middle of the road to me, almost like Alien Workshop shapes too.

** I feel like the Real Ishod twin in 8.5 is completely a band aid shape, now I come to think of it **

If you had meant certain other specific shapes, let me know, otherwise most Quasi I have seen that are the same through the middle and are very rounded off at the kicks, as per this pic:

bighoss34

• Rep: 0

Have you tried Woodchuck Laminates?  I have a stack of their 8.5s with 14.5 wb.  We've been very impressed with the pop and how much life the boards have after 5-6 weeks of steady riding.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
Anyone know where Halloween Stickers Skateboards got their wood from this drop? I DM'd them but never got a reply.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU5NL6NAQgW/?utm_medium=copy_link
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you tried Woodchuck Laminates?  I have a stack of their 8.5s with 14.5 wb.  We've been very impressed with the pop and how much life the boards have after 5-6 weeks of steady riding.

That's rad, but he was asking for smaller 8.25 size boards...

How do they measure up for length and wheelbase?

:)

bighoss34

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I know.  I'm not sure about the 8.25 WB, but if he was looking to do a run of boards they would tell him.  I'm ordering the rest of my boards from Clutch and one other and those are the only companies I have ongoing dialogue with.

bighoss34

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looks like they are 14.25 WB for their 8.25s. 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Yeah I know.  I'm not sure about the 8.25 WB, but if he was looking to do a run of boards they would tell him.  I'm ordering the rest of my boards from Clutch and one other and those are the only companies I have ongoing dialogue with.

Nice.

How's the wait times on getting boards these days?

Is it still already well into 2022 or not quite so much?

Thanks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anyone know where Halloween Stickers Skateboards got their wood from this drop? I DM'd them but never got a reply.

Did you message the shop or the company on Instagram or other?

https://www.instagram.com/halloween_stickers_skateboards/

You could try the guy who part owns it:

https://www.samcardelfe.com/halloween-sticker-skateboards

They also show decks in KCDC shop, Nocturnal Philly, Labor for starters but it doesn't seem anyone has any other info other than a graphic side pic of the decks and width sizes in the listings, 8, 8.25, 8.3, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75

Labor shop link here anyway:

https://laborskateshop.com/search?q=halloween

bighoss34

Expand Quote

[close]

Nice.

How's the wait times on getting boards these days?

Is it still already well into 2022 or not quite so much?

Thanks.

Some are currently taking orders for April 2022.  South Central seems quicker.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you message the shop or the company on Instagram or other?

https://www.instagram.com/halloween_stickers_skateboards/

You could try the guy who part owns it:

https://www.samcardelfe.com/halloween-sticker-skateboards

They also show decks in KCDC shop, Nocturnal Philly, Labor for starters but it doesn't seem anyone has any other info other than a graphic side pic of the decks and width sizes in the listings, 8, 8.25, 8.3, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75

Labor shop link here anyway:

https://laborskateshop.com/search?q=halloween

I messaged the deck company. Still no reply though. I might ask the shop for a pic of the top of the deck if they can.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Some Australian woodshop links:

Omni Boards
Omni Boards Australia is Australia's oldest still running skateboard manufacturer (30+ years).
www.omnisk8.com.au
https://www.instagram.com/omni_boards/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU_1DvWlBrK/

DpressD Skateboards
Australian🇦🇺Handcrafted 5ply/carbon/basalt /epoxy Glued/ Canadian🇨🇦Rock Maple Skateboards DpressD in a custom concrete mold
Since 2019
dpressdskateboards.bigcartel.com
https://www.instagram.com/dpressd_skateboards/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF0UZohlv4-/

Cuckoo Skateboards
Brisbane
Since 2018
https://www.instagram.com/cuckoo_skateboards/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiJFSmPHSQB/

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
Does anybody know what woodshop darkroom uses? The website says made in the USA so I don't think it's BBS anymore

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Napalm custom is a woodshod/brand from Tampere Finland. They make Canadian maple decks with carbon fiber layers. Supposedly unbreakable and light. Many of my friends have had these and they all say they’re very good. I’ve never had one myself though so I can’t say much about how they are.

https://napalmcustom.com/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Does anybody know what woodshop darkroom uses? The website says made in the USA so I don't think it's BBS anymore

Yes they have always had "Made in USA" and still on BBS, as per the boards I have.

It is just one of those funny things where some brands have "Made in..." but we all know where the woodshop is based so we just smile and nod with a "Yeah ok, whatever"

They are not the only ones by a long shot.

* On the other hand, it is possible that they have sourced other wood, but until anyone else shows a board or has more info, I am going with the smile and nod option on BBS and Made in Mexico boards.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Napalm custom is a woodshod/brand from Tampere Finland. They make Canadian maple decks with carbon fiber layers. Supposedly unbreakable and light. Many of my friends have had these and they all say they’re very good. I’ve never had one myself though so I can’t say much about how they are.

120 Euros for a boards, definitely don't envy you guys.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

120 Euros for a boards, definitely don't envy you guys.

They’re pricy alright but they’ve got that carbon fiber stuff going on and it’s a small scale production. Normal decks here are around 70-80€ these days.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Just to add on to the previous post, regardless of what they might say on the website or in their marketing material, here is a pic I took of one of the Darkroom decks I have with the BBS sticker, clearly saying Made in Mexico.

This size was unexpected (said 8.75 in the board info) but I am pretty stoked on the actual size here anyway, which is closer to the AH orange eagle 9" and other boards.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:36:19 AM by Woodshop »

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
euro element boards are hlc i think, they have a laser engraving near the front bolt holes that says "made in europe". i'm not 100% sure if that's hlc though but they are definitely not china made.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
How’s the Passport 8.5” compared to for example Polar and DLX shapes? Wheelbase is apparently 14.5” which I like but other than that, how is it? Short/long, steep/mellow, full/pointy…?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
How’s the Passport 8.5” compared to for example Polar and DLX shapes? Wheelbase is apparently 14.5” which I like but other than that, how is it? Short/long, steep/mellow, full/pointy…?

Polar are said to be 8.5 x 32.125 with 14.5 wb, but are a bit shorter, with 14.38 wb if I recall correctly, but I know some people have said it has 14.5 wb which is curious.

I have a Heroin 8.5 with 14.38 wb as well which is a really good shape, about 32.25 long as well.

DLX have three different shapes in 8.5 with some confusion as there is the shorter one at 31.8 with 14.25 wb which is the most common, the normal one which is 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb (which is a little more pointy than the ones below) and another one I haven't seen in a while which is the 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb so a longer one all up.

The Passport 8.5 deck I saw and had a skate on the other day from a guy I know is exactly the same size and shape as the Baker, Element, Black Label and other BBS boards of 8.5 x 32.?? (always say 32 but they are longer) with 14.5 wheelbase and felt really stable and comfortable to ride.  Nose about 7.2 and tail about 6.7 when I measured them.

Sorry I have posted this before, but they are a good comparison for the other 8.5 decks as per this post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSV3emllWYC/

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:05:57 PM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
euro element boards are hlc i think, they have a laser engraving near the front bolt holes that says "made in europe". i'm not 100% sure if that's hlc though but they are definitely not china made.

Thanks!

I thought I had them in there somewhere, but it looks like they are only listed under the USA based woodshops, then the Misc China option for EU.

The hardest thing sometimes is the woodshops or brands are so secretive about things, but I am not wanting to cause issues or pry too hard into some things.  If they tell someone, or someone knows who is on what, all good and well, but if not, then at least country of origin is a good indicator as to where they come from, along with similar warning stickers, packaging, laser engraving and the feel of a board.

I am also going to copy your post and the others with that really clear pic from the other thread, just to keep some info here as well.

Toy Machine pro models // made in China?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118999.0

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
funny thing i was about to ask as well...although not Toy Machine. but same family. i'm in KL/SouthEast Asia by the way

[close]

yup same owners! I was actually balancing between getting my TM deck or the Foundation Dakota Scapes pro model. There’s no denying Tum Yeto’s decks have awesome graphics!

If it’s any info to you, my made in China sticker was exactly like that one, but obviously with different measurements.
[close]

i work at a skateshop in poland and the toy machine boards we have in stock have the same stickers and an engraved monster where the foundation logo is
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Re: Toy Machine pro models // made in China?

Adding this here too:

It has been an interesting one, especially since distribution changed here, so now many of these brands have a more generic looking wood with "Made in China" on them including Toy Machine, Zero and a few others that I have seen in local shops here in Australia.

The list of "pro brands on Made in China" decks is actually a lot longer than you might think, given many suppliers have found it cheaper / easier or whatever to get boards there for the European and Asian markets, which does include Australia for the most part.

I am a bit disappointed sometimes when the same brands use "Made in Mexico" woodshops for the USA, but whatever else they can get for other markets like here in Australia and then charge the same pro wood prices, but for me personally, that is more down to the feel of the concave in those boards and the fact that I prefer wood from that woodshop based on how the board skates to me, not so much the brand or distribution path it takes to get here.

I guess reading through even the last dozen or so pages of the Woodshop thread might not turn up too much, apart from helping you get confused about some brands, given what seems like swapping from one woodshop to another to back to the first one, or something else entirely, during the last year or so.

The quality of the product seems to be much better overall now than what it has been in the past too, but I don't have any boards that I skate that are from any of the other woodshops.  Going by feedback from others, some of the so called cheaper Made in China boards have held up really well and those people like them, so I wouldn't be writing them off so quickly if you already have one in your hands.  Paying that much for one is another story, which I am not going to get into here and now, but that $20 deck with a $90 graphic on it is a funny one...

I would be curious to hear how you find the deck, given I have seen lots around but not at all interested in buying one just to see how the current wood feels.  I have had a stand on lots of them in other shops and they felt fairly stiff so I would imagine it would hold up well enough, but unless you skate it, it is hard to tell much from a picture or holding it in your hands.

I should probably note here too that the RRP on most boards from USA or Mexico is now well over $140 even if shops often do not put prices up that much, with pricepoint boards still around the $100 to $110 range, so technically they are in the lower price range anyway.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
Maybe interesting for euro pals:
 this polish woodshop Locals Skateboard MFG  is making boards for some smaller companies like nonconform skates

https://www.instagram.com/locals_skateboards_mfg/

http://www.localsskateboards.com/home/index

Also from poland is nibiru skateboards which seem to be an woodshop
https://www.instagram.com/nibiruskateboards/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:58:48 AM by WavyDavy »

LebowskisRug

Are Frog’s measurements accurate? They have an 8.38 with a 14.25 WB and that’s pretty rare for BBS I think only the Krooked Manderson shape is similar.