Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206787 times)

jrb32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Just got a couple boards from Primitive’s latest drop. They all say “made in china” on them. Hope they get their woodshop situation figured out soon. Its been frustrating getting “made in mexico” “made in USA” and “made in china” boards the last few drops. Something consistent would be nice. 😕

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
Is 8.38 a common size across woodshops or is that a sure sign the shop decks are Deluxe/BBS?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Is 8.38 a common size across woodshops or is that a sure sign the shop decks are Deluxe/BBS?

I think I have seen other non BBS brands listed as 8.38 but I think that size is more often listed as 8.375 from other woodshops and brands.

Overall 8.38 is supposed to be the same as 8.375 with the decimal place with a fraction of an inch being a thing of wonder really, but there are definitely some different boards out there.

When I do an 8.38 search in most of the bigger skate shops, some others do come up, eg Foundation, Evisen, Techne, Thank you, Poolroom, Flip and more.

For BBS there are at least three different shapes / sizes for the 8.38 decks as well, that I know of.

8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb from DLX, Baker, Birdhouse, Element, DGK

8.38 x 32 with 14.38 wb from Passport, Polar, Heroin (might be the same but I don't recall if there was a different one)

8.38 x 31.79 with 14.2 wb from FA / Hockey

* Some places might have slightly different measurements for some of the boards, but I ride the DLX 8.38, as well as having Baker, Birdhouse, Element, DGK in that size, as well as a few others in the shorter version from Passport and other brands.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
Nice! It must be. Meant to add their whole list-

8.0 x 31.8, 14.25
8.1 x 32, wb14.25
8.25 x 32, wb14.38
8.38 x 32, wb14.38
8.5 x 32, wb14.38
8.6 x 32.38, wb14.6
8.75 x 32.75, wb14.75
9.0 x 33.25, wb 14.75
 Shape (8.9 x 31.75, wb14.25) squared tail/pointed flat nose normal length
 Shape (8.7 x 31.5, wb14.25) squared tail/rounded nose/ shorter length
 Shape (8.6 x 32.38, wb14.25) square tail/blunted nose/normal length

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Addition to the last post about 8.38 decks.

There are another three to five or more shapes from various companies on BBS so that takes it to at least six, maybe up to eight or more different 8.38 shapes and sizes.

Polar is increasingly listed as 8.375 on most sites, but also comes up as 8.38 on others - same boards.

Hopps has one that is listed as 8.38 x 32.125 with 14.25 wb, if anyone can check to confirm.

Frog (same as the other shorter DLX one I forgot about) has one that is 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb.

April has a shorter 8.38 but I am not sure of the actual dimensions - some places had different listings.

As far as other exclusives, these ones came to mind when doing some more searching, both of which I have / had.

Black Label has a longer one - 8.38 x 32.5 with 14.38 wb (might be the same as others though)

Element has a shorter one - 8.38 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb

From that list overall, I would say most of the major woodshops have an 8.38 in the mix, including the majority on BBS, but also some on Clutch, Dwindle, unknown (China) and a couple of others yet to confirm.

The list of 8.375 is similar, but more from Dwindle / China (unknown) but there are also a fair few from others including BBS too.

Just one of the joys of looking for specific sizes, shapes and manufacturers.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
I know this has been asked a million times before, but generally, are price point deluxe boards the same as the regular ones, just omitting the colores plies?

LebowskisRug

The ones I’ve skated feel identical.

LebowskisRug

What companies have similar dims and concaves to Crail? Are Baker kicks at all similar?

Carter

• Rep: -1
Addition to the last post about 8.38 decks.

There are another three to five or more shapes from various companies on BBS so that takes it to at least six, maybe up to eight or more different 8.38 shapes and sizes.

Polar is increasingly listed as 8.375 on most sites, but also comes up as 8.38 on others - same boards.

Hopps has one that is listed as 8.38 x 32.125 with 14.25 wb, if anyone can check to confirm.

Frog (same as the other shorter DLX one I forgot about) has one that is 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb.

April has a shorter 8.38 but I am not sure of the actual dimensions - some places had different listings.

As far as other exclusives, these ones came to mind when doing some more searching, both of which I have / had.

Black Label has a longer one - 8.38 x 32.5 with 14.38 wb (might be the same as others though)

Element has a shorter one - 8.38 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb

From that list overall, I would say most of the major woodshops have an 8.38 in the mix, including the majority on BBS, but also some on Clutch, Dwindle, unknown (China) and a couple of others yet to confirm.

The list of 8.375 is similar, but more from Dwindle / China (unknown) but there are also a fair few from others including BBS too.

Just one of the joys of looking for specific sizes, shapes and manufacturers.

April I saw makes an 8.38 with a 31.12 length 14.3 wb I believe as well if you are looking for short

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
I'm sure this is in here a billion times, but how can I tell which woodshop this deck came from?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2198
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
I'm sure this is in here a billion times, but how can I tell which woodshop this deck came from?
Clutch.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LebowskisRug

Is Clutch always the dot between trucks? If so then Carpet now seems to be Clutch or at least the Brandon Turner deck I have is

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy

To add to the shop boards list, (which will still happen), I saw an email from Old Skull for their new boards, on Generator (BBS) which come in all sizes which is really good for people who want bigger boards, all at US$49.95 so a decent price too.

Sizes 8.0  8.25  8.5  8.75 and 9.0

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/old-skull-jimbo-skull-two-deck-assorted-stains/

If you are not stoked on the graphic, you can always take it off, as I did with a couple of boards not too long ago.

Surprising how easy it actually was.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I know this has been asked a million times before, but generally, are price point deluxe boards the same as the regular ones, just omitting the colores plies?

If you don't break boards, they will feel the same and skate the same.

The plain ones are definitely softer and flex out faster, with a number of people I know breaking them fairly quickly, but all the ones I have had were just a little more flexy and still held up fine.

They are a cheaper board in every way, but they are still the same shapes, concaves and feel as the pro boards.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Is Clutch always the dot between trucks? If so then Carpet now seems to be Clutch or at least the Brandon Turner deck I have is

The single "big dot" imprint in the wood is BBS.

The "number and letter stamp" is Clutch, but they also often use a round size sticker on the board in about the same place, often over the number and letter stamp.

Hope that helps.

Carpet is 100% BBS.

They were very quick to confirm this with a few different people who have contacted them about which woodshop they are using, as people have posted before.

It never hurts to ask though.

:)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:04:15 PM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

To add to that, these two posts cover it fairly well.

If you don't have instagram access or cannot view them, I can post or send you pics and text to go with them as well.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
New setup today.

Shop deck (South Central Wood) - 7.5
Venture 5.0
Spitfire Conical Full 54mm/97a
Bones Swiss Ceramic

Another one for the skate shop board list.

Faith Skate - South Central.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
Expand Quote
[close]

To add to that, these two posts cover it fairly well.

If you don't have instagram access or cannot view them, I can post or send you pics and text to go with them as well.

This is AWESOME information. Thanks so much. I’ve had a renewal edition Real deck before but that was long before I really cared about woodshops. I’ll save these posts for future reference.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102

To add to the shop boards list, (which will still happen), I saw an email from Old Skull for their new boards, on Generator (BBS) which come in all sizes which is really good for people who want bigger boards, all at US$49.95 so a decent price too.

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/old-skull-jimbo-skull-two-deck-assorted-stains/

Damn I actually really like that graphic and that's an absolute steal for BBS wood. Def keeping an eye on it.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn I actually really like that graphic and that's an absolute steal for BBS wood. Def keeping an eye on it.

Rad!

I thought someone could benefit from that email - good wood, all sizes, good price.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
Maybe this happened and I missed it, but it might be helpful if someone collected a few photos of the tops of decks and created some kind of slideshow to help identify boards makers by sight, instead of by name. For example, it's a lot easier for me to remember the BBS dot than it is to recollect that such-and-such maker used BBS during 2021.

LebowskisRug

I hate being repetitive but hoping to get an answer:

What other brands have shapes like Crail- which are shorter in lenghth and have more fingers of flat. Also, their fuller shapes aren’t that full, which I like.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Maybe this happened and I missed it, but it might be helpful if someone collected a few photos of the tops of decks and created some kind of slideshow to help identify boards makers by sight, instead of by name. For example, it's a lot easier for me to remember the BBS dot than it is to recollect that such-and-such maker used BBS during 2021.

Would a list of woodshops that included pics of top of board markings be good too?

Not sure if it would be too much information at the start or what.

I have been compiling some which would make it a whole lot easier for some people to reference and then be able to work out what the boards were, but I think there will still be a lot of others or generic boards with similar stickers on them so people could get confused and not know.

Eg

Clutch - usually (but not always) has a letter and a number stamped into the wood around the front bolt holes, then often the size in a dot sticker often over the stamp, or right beside it.

PS Stix - always has some sort of laser engraving information but mainly has SN# PS 39383837 type of info, which is the identifying info of that particular deck, the warning sticker usually higher up on the nose.

BBS - harder to tell with no sticker (unless it has Generator sticker) but often just a dot imprint around front bolts area and sometimes laser engraving for the specific brand, if not "Built by BBS" and size info, sometimes the warning sticker over the bolts, but usually just above the bolts.

Dwindle - laser engraving with serial number, size, brand info under the front bolts area, not between the front bolt holes.

Control - red white maple leaf sticker in between front bolts.

HLC - laser engraving with info on the deck, more often under the front bolts, but usually lower down closer to the back bolts in the middle area.

Generic manufacturer in China - usually just the size of the deck either between front bolts, just under it, or from another place, on the top or bottom under the back bolts, usually a bigger font.

See above - idk if there’s a specific post with pics, just lots of pics scattered throughout this thread.
Either way, hats off to Mr Brimson for the huge effort he’s put into to this thread and keeping it updated. Cheers, cobber!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
Someone should amend that to the first post. It’s extremely inconvenient to search through months of posts, but thank you for doing that! And thanks to Mbrimson for making that list!

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
Magenta, Uma Landsleds, Rave Skateboards and Habitat are being made at IBL woodshop here in Brazil.

Great wood and shapes, skating a Habitat Fred Gall 8.25 rn and it's amazing.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Magenta, Uma Landsleds, Rave Skateboards and Habitat are being made at IBL woodshop here in Brazil.

Great wood and shapes, skating a Habitat Fred Gall 8.25 rn and it's amazing.

Thanks for that info - I seem to recall something about IBL before but I am now following their instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/iblskateboards/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #1046 on: January 24, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »

I had been thinking about this for a while, but I guess it fell into the "Do it later" list and I forgot about it.

Ideally I wanted to start from scratch and make a "Woodshop" super post, with the first twenty or so posts being from the same account, so it is a lot easier to modify and add information on the first page, keeping information all together - all the information, pics, etc can be added to those posts so the first whole page has all the relevant information.

The idea was to create an account that could be accessed by multiple people as well, with a generic username and that account would be the one that created the new Woodshop thread, but as yet others had said that was not such a good idea as someone could gain access and delete or negatively modify the thread, so I am still working on that one.

As it stands with this thread:

First post - woodshop list, alphabetically listed, then woodshop list on the same post

Second post - woodshop list, manufacturers first, then distributors second (that is any company that does not manufacture their own boards, but prints decks for others)

Third post, pics and info re woodshops identifications, see below anyway:

The third and last post will be an accumulated list of information with pics of various woodshops markings, so they are all in the one place.

Note this will be changing as brands and woodshops update their information but I will try to copy relevant pics to here in this post so they are all in the one place and people don't have to look through all the previous threads or the 30+ pages of information.

This will take some time, so I hope to have this going within a week.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:58:21 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I hate being repetitive but hoping to get an answer:

What other brands have shapes like Crail- which are shorter in lenghth and have more fingers of flat. Also, their fuller shapes aren’t that full, which I like.

« on: January 23, 2022, 12:24:12 PM »
Agreeing with an earlier opinion that a lot of Crail shapes are better than DLX shapes I’ve skated.

Not sure if the first question just got lost in the previous page, or no one (myself included) really knows much about Crail wood shapes compared to how much there is on other brands / woodshops, or enough to be able to easily compare them.

I find that people who often frequently skate Girl / Chocolate decks are different, with many not really straying too far from those boards, or are unable to go through much in detail with other boards, the most notable guy I know who always skates ONLY Girl boards really doesn't know a single thing about length, wheelbase, concave, etc (but he rips, so I don't bother him with product information or questions the way I would with other people).

As per your other comment, I definitely think there are often those in the DLX camp and those in the Crail camp, who often don't cross over a whole lot.  Nothing wrong with that - people will prefer some boards over others and some presses / concaves over others too.  I cannot ride Crail boards as they just feel weird, in the same way that others cannot ride BBS boards as they prefer other concaves / woodshops.

Sure it is a making an assumption but even reading through the Girl Shapes thread (which I will link below) they are very much their own company that know what they make and stick to it.

The only other boards coming out that appear similar or maybe from the same woodshop are the Zero / Toy Machine and other brands from an unknown woodshop with "Made in China" on them, of which there is little info and seemingly even less interest in, so it definitely makes it harder to find out any info.

From standing on Girl decks in other shops, they feel very much like Dwindle decks, of which I know there are many that have shorter wheelbases and lengths, so that might be the best option for you.

If you ride 8.25 boards, there should be a lot of those around, so can check the Dwindle catalog guide, as posted earlier (the last page) with the tail pics of their FULL shapes.

https://dwindle.com/catalogs

Girl Deck Shapes

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84855.0

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:39:17 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

From the Polar Shapes thread, some interesting info re sizes of Polar and Baker B2 decks:

Polar 8.5 popsicle shape (measured by me): 32x8.5x14.375

Baker 8.5 B2 shape for control/reference (measured by me): 32.25x8.5x14.375

The B2 is always marked 14.5 as is the Polar so this is probably common knowledge but may help someone else.

Things that stand out about this shape are the tapered tail and relatively full nose without being FA/Hockey square, just slightly more round than the B2.

Thank you for that.

I had never seen a Baker B2 in person either, so didn't know that about them either, re slightly shorter wheelbase.

So most of the BBS 8.5 decks to me / the ones I have from a range of companies are a little bit longer in length and wheelbase, eg usual Baker decks say 32 long but they are more like 32.25, but all of them do seem to have a really good shape, nice rounded kicks, not pointy at all.

Heroin 8.5 might also be the same as the Polar boards, as I have one of those, 8.5 x 32 with 14.375 wb.

I don't know if you would notice the 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb being significantly different to the Polar deck, but I know even little things like that can make a big difference.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128

From the Polar Shapes thread, some interesting info re sizes of Polar and Baker B2 decks:

Expand Quote
Polar 8.5 popsicle shape (measured by me): 32x8.5x14.375

Baker 8.5 B2 shape for control/reference (measured by me): 32.25x8.5x14.375

The B2 is always marked 14.5 as is the Polar so this is probably common knowledge but may help someone else.

Things that stand out about this shape are the tapered tail and relatively full nose without being FA/Hockey square, just slightly more round than the B2.
[close]

Heroin 8.5 might also be the same as the Polar boards, as I have one of those, 8.5 x 32 with 14.375 wb.

I can confirm my 8.5 Toxic Fade Eyes has the same dims