Author Topic: Shipping 9"+ decks?  (Read 439 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Shipping 9"+ decks?
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide which boxes to purchase to ship 9"+ decks. I can't decide between the Uline 32 x 10 x 6 1/2" or the 33 x 8 1⁄2 x 5"

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4304/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/32-x-10-x-6-1-2-Long-Corrugated-Boxes

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14258/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/33-x-8-1-2-x-5-Long-Corrugated-Boxes

I shipped a Powell Peralta Mike Vallely Elephant deck (10" x 30.25") deck in a 33 x 8 1⁄2 x 5" box before, but I put the deck in diagnolly and placed packing material in the spaces. I don't know if I should keep doing this, or if it will work with multiple decks (2 or more decks in one box). IIRC it was hard to close the box and tape it shut after the fact.

The only reason why I'm hesitant on the 32 x 10 x 6 1/2" option is because of the short length. I was hoping for a 33" or more length.

Please give me some guidance on this and if there are other websites I should check out :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Shipping 9"+ decks?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 11:02:18 PM »
If it is more just for single decks, often to have two pieces of cardboard that cover the board taped together worked out a lot cheaper here (Australia) and I have received a lot more boards recently in bubble wrap and harder plastic bag overall, which worked well, no issues with the decks.  Also sent out boards with no problems in the recycled packaging like this and it was a lot cheaper.

That said, you could do that with either box too, or just flatten it down sideways and the end flaps should cover the longer decks.

If you are thinking more for completes, how many longer boards are wider, vs a more normal length?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:13:29 AM »
If it is more just for single decks, often to have two pieces of cardboard that cover the board taped together worked out a lot cheaper here (Australia) and I have received a lot more boards recently in bubble wrap and harder plastic bag overall, which worked well, no issues with the decks.  Also sent out boards with no problems in the recycled packaging like this and it was a lot cheaper.

That said, you could do that with either box too, or just flatten it down sideways and the end flaps should cover the longer decks.

If you are thinking more for completes, how many longer boards are wider, vs a more normal length?

Interesting, I didn't consider flattening the boxes. That should actually help me a lot with packing material as well.

I also saw in the 9"+ board thread that someone had their deck shipped in just a padded envelope. Would that alone work, or would using that combined with the cardboard flatting be best?

No completes, just the deck(s) itself.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting, I didn't consider flattening the boxes. That should actually help me a lot with packing material as well.

I also saw in the 9"+ board thread that someone had their deck shipped in just a padded envelope. Would that alone work, or would using that combined with the cardboard flatting be best?

I just received another deck (and rolled grip) that was put in two padded bags taped together - no issues with the deck being damaged or anything, so yes that works.

All the boards I sent I usually left the grip flat as it bugs me when grip gets rolled and then flattened, so on a flat sheet of padded material (like bubble wrap), grip face down, then deck graphic down, padded material folded over the top and lightly taped in place, then the plastic wrap folded over that and taped down.

There also seem to be custom padded bags for decks from one place too, pretty much the 9 x 33" size which was perfect for grip flat and deck on top, same as how I send things out.

Way cheaper on shipping too, compared to a bigger box.

I think a flat cardboard piece folded or two pieces taped would work really well too, but depending on the weather, I would want to send a board not in shrink wrap with another something over it, like a board bag, as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 06:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just received another deck (and rolled grip) that was put in two padded bags taped together - no issues with the deck being damaged or anything, so yes that works.

All the boards I sent I usually left the grip flat as it bugs me when grip gets rolled and then flattened, so on a flat sheet of padded material (like bubble wrap), grip face down, then deck graphic down, padded material folded over the top and lightly taped in place, then the plastic wrap folded over that and taped down.

There also seem to be custom padded bags for decks from one place too, pretty much the 9 x 33" size which was perfect for grip flat and deck on top, same as how I send things out.

Way cheaper on shipping too, compared to a bigger box.

I think a flat cardboard piece folded or two pieces taped would work really well too, but depending on the weather, I would want to send a board not in shrink wrap with another something over it, like a board bag, as well.

Sweet, thanks for the help!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 06:49:55 PM »
I've been shipping out my orders in plastic mailers. I wrap the boards in bubble wrap. I followed up, and have gotten no complaints. Some people actually prefer it to a box, because it's lest trash to deal with after. Although, if your shipping a collectors piece it may be some pushback id imagine.