Author Topic: Lightest boards  (Read 3656 times)

Steve Kelly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -227
Lightest boards
« on: March 21, 2021, 01:03:39 AM »
What do you think are the lightest boards out right now? And also still have good snap.

Lykun

• Rep: -2
Re: Lightest boards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 01:39:34 AM »
I haven't had many decks, but my Zero is really nice and light, goes well with my Thunder Titaniums with Clouds on 'em... at least it's the best I got...

I have a Plan B with Mag Lites, and it's pretty heavy compared.

(I realize this may not make sense, but I wanted to test the Zero on known trucks.)

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 02:58:07 AM »
Nobody want to face the truth about this but the lightest board with most pop are those weird Powell ones
Best deck I ever skated

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Nobody want to face the truth about this but the lightest board with most pop are those weird Powell ones
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
I know they aren’t cool, but I’m currently using a Powell Flight board and it’s amazing. They’re crazy light, hella pop, and last forever.

michael scarn

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »
 Almost 7.25 double impact

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 10:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
I know they aren’t cool, but I’m currently using a Powell Flight board and it’s amazing. They’re crazy light, hella pop, and last forever.
I stopped caring about what’s cool when stair counting went out of style.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]
I stopped caring about what’s cool when stair counting went out of style.

I gotta agree...the boards are super light and last way longer than my normal deluxe board. Also, Ben Hatchell rules

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]

Mmmm....ok well I can trust CL, but at the same time, with my own eyes, I’ve never seen a flight deck in the wild, underneath an Ollie practitioner.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

Mmmm....ok well I can trust CL, but at the same time, with my own eyes, I’ve never seen a flight deck in the wild, underneath an Ollie practitioner.

I’m going to second that motion.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:39:08 PM »
I'm not trying to sell anyone on them. I've been riding Deluxe boards forever, but opted for a McGill Flight because I'd been wanting to try out a 9" board, plus McGill had my favorite VCJ graphic. I have a deep quiver, but I fucking love this board. The only problem is they're typically in the $85-$95 price range. If you see one of the standard shaped Flight boards on sale, I'd highly recommend trying one out.

You might not see many in the wild because they don't make a ton and they're super hard to come by (except the Biss bug ones).

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »
^this shape looks awesome, and a lighter board would definitely be appreciated at 9". Can I ask what the wheelbase is?
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
^this shape looks awesome, and a lighter board would definitely be appreciated at 9". Can I ask what the wheelbase is?
14.6" - This board is actually lighter than any of my DLX 8.5 boards and I really love this shape, even if it’s meant to be more of a vert board.

Some 9” Cab Flight boards just shipped out last week and are popping up in shops this week. The graphic isn't quite the McGill panty dropper, though

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:32:04 PM by Cuban_Lynx »

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 06:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

I was riding the flight decks for a year or so and can attest to all their praise. Long lasting, pop, etc. That said, in the last year I switched to Santa Cruz's similar tech, VX. All the same attributes as the flight decks but much better with respect to shapes and the graphics are typically either good or neutral, while the flight deck's graphics are almost always painful. Immature I know but still...

Sicebox

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »
What do you think are the lightest boards out right now? And also still have good snap.
If you really wanna get light, buy tensor mag light trucks. They are so light its fucking regular. I love it and haven't skated anything else in years

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »
I just had one of those impact light boards from Thank You supply and it lasted three months and never got floppy, which is probably a record. Finally gave it up because the tail got too sharp. It seemed pretty light too. Would recommend

michael scarn

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was riding the flight decks for a year or so and can attest to all their praise. Long lasting, pop, etc. That said, in the last year I switched to Santa Cruz's similar tech, VX. All the same attributes as the flight decks but much better with respect to shapes and the graphics are typically either good or neutral, while the flight deck's graphics are almost always painful. Immature I know but still...
Nah man i feel that. Those graphics are pretty terrible. I know all the graphics get scratched off anyway but i still want a board graphic i actually like.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: Cuban_Lynx link=topic=116092.msg3527142#msg3527142
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info! So the Santa Cruz boards are essentially the same you would say? Are all their boards VX? Def would rather that. It seems hard to even track down a flight board anyways.

Maurice46

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info! So the Santa Cruz boards are essentially the same you would say? Are all their boards VX? Def would rather that. It seems hard to even track down a flight board anyways.

Yes, they are essentially the same. I've skated both extensively and haven't noticed any difference in strength and quality. However, as I mentioned, the shapes and graphics of the VX are infinitely better. Also, NHS does SC and Creature VX boards so there is a nice variety. The only issue is that they seem to be so low key popular, like the flight decks, that they can be hard to get. For instance, right now they seem to be out everywhere. Lastly, only the Santa Cruz boards designated VX use the carbon fiber tech, not all SC boards. Again, can't recommend these boards enough. They are great! I usually buy two at a time to avoid being stuck without one.

InVerseKinematicKingy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, they are essentially the same. I've skated both extensively and haven't noticed any difference in strength and quality. However, as I mentioned, the shapes and graphics of the VX are infinitely better. Also, NHS does SC and Creature VX boards so there is a nice variety. The only issue is that they seem to be so low key popular, like the flight decks, that they can be hard to get. For instance, right now they seem to be out everywhere. Lastly, only the Santa Cruz boards designated VX use the carbon fiber tech, not all SC boards. Again, can't recommend these boards enough. They are great! I usually buy two at a time to avoid being stuck without one.

Making the claim that anything NHS makes is even on par with whatever the fuck Skate One does seems laughable. Have not skated the VX boards, but that just seems crazy to me. I rode a lot of powell boards, and many other brands in my time on the board. For the past 5 years I’ve been skating DLX primarily, so I’m not a Powell homer. Now saying that, I still think Powell makes the best boards in the game and it’s not even close. They make there shit in America, George is a damn fucking good engineer, and he puts a lot of work into QA/QC it seems with their products. I would genuinely be surprised if you actually scientifically tested both boards, that the VX board would be remotely close. I don’t know the numbers since I don’t think anyone has done it in regards to comparing both boards, but I do recognize historically better engineering in comparing Powell with NHS. NHS makes there VX boards in China right? If they are doing that level of tech in Mexico, I would be shocked due to the cost associated with everything. I mean they were doing the colored Indy’s for the longest time, with only the silvers made in America. I’m pretty sure that has changed too, and now all Indy is out of China.
If it’s going to China, it is an inherently inferior product, at least when it comes to boards.

Maurice46

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Making the claim that anything NHS makes is even on par with whatever the fuck Skate One does seems laughable. Have not skated the VX boards, but that just seems crazy to me. I rode a lot of powell boards, and many other brands in my time on the board. For the past 5 years I’ve been skating DLX primarily, so I’m not a Powell homer. Now saying that, I still think Powell makes the best boards in the game and it’s not even close. They make there shit in America, George is a damn fucking good engineer, and he puts a lot of work into QA/QC it seems with their products. I would genuinely be surprised if you actually scientifically tested both boards, that the VX board would be remotely close. I don’t know the numbers since I don’t think anyone has done it in regards to comparing both boards, but I do recognize historically better engineering in comparing Powell with NHS. NHS makes there VX boards in China right? If they are doing that level of tech in Mexico, I would be shocked due to the cost associated with everything. I mean they were doing the colored Indy’s for the longest time, with only the silvers made in America. I’m pretty sure that has changed too, and now all Indy is out of China.
If it’s going to China, it is an inherently inferior product, at least when it comes to boards.

I see...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:19:03 AM by Maurice46 »

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Santa Cruz and Powell quality are the same. Almosts carbon fiber board wasn’t as good though. I actually managed to snap that one

InVerseKinematicKingy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Santa Cruz and Powell quality are the same. Almosts carbon fiber board wasn’t as good though. I actually managed to snap that one

Which almost board are you talking about? There’s like 6-7 variations over the years. The Uber Light was redesigned at least once or twice. They have the regular impact, double impact, and impact light they have promoted through the years. The impact stuff is much more akin to what the flight/VX decks are, where as the UBER light boards were a completely different technology. Rodney also had/Has even more crazy versions of the UBER board he used in round 3. Not sure if many people know this, but Rodney’s board in round 3, every single aspect is not sold for mass consumerism. If you ever bought the round 3 DVD, at period of time they had a little 4 page pamphlet going into the board he uses in the video.

Now the original Uber light I had, like back when that got first mass produced in 06-07. It was light as hell, but the oscillation was so fucking weird. The damping factor was quite high compared to wood on the OG batchs, and the boards would literally not oscillate. You also saw really bad problems with Delam. I recently skated one a few years ago, and it looked like all those things were cleaned up. Now as far as snapping is concerned I would imagine they snap still much worse due to their construction. If you ever skated a bamboo board, u would know what I’m talking about, where when you snap it the board cracks vertically as opposed to the traditional horizontal break. I would assume that they still snap as bad, but I would bet their performance is higher than either the flight or VX board when it comes to weight, but I bet the other two boards still oscillate as good. On a random note, for a while there when the UBER stuff first came out, Dwindle also had those Blind aluminum core boards, and those were the fucking shit. Prolly would have rode those my entire life if the option was available.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

i know some people that had them and they really are light and barely get soggy. never owned one though because that shit is mad expensive here, i could buy 3 normal decks for that price
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Which almost board are you talking about? There’s like 6-7 variations over the years. The Uber Light was redesigned at least once or twice. They have the regular impact, double impact, and impact light they have promoted through the years. The impact stuff is much more akin to what the flight/VX decks are, where as the UBER light boards were a completely different technology. Rodney also had/Has even more crazy versions of the UBER board he used in round 3. Not sure if many people know this, but Rodney’s board in round 3, every single aspect is not sold for mass consumerism. If you ever bought the round 3 DVD, at period of time they had a little 4 page pamphlet going into the board he uses in the video.

Now the original Uber light I had, like back when that got first mass produced in 06-07. It was light as hell, but the oscillation was so fucking weird. The damping factor was quite high compared to wood on the OG batchs, and the boards would literally not oscillate. You also saw really bad problems with Delam. I recently skated one a few years ago, and it looked like all those things were cleaned up. Now as far as snapping is concerned I would imagine they snap still much worse due to their construction. If you ever skated a bamboo board, u would know what I’m talking about, where when you snap it the board cracks vertically as opposed to the traditional horizontal break. I would assume that they still snap as bad, but I would bet their performance is higher than either the flight or VX board when it comes to weight, but I bet the other two boards still oscillate as good. On a random note, for a while there when the UBER stuff first came out, Dwindle also had those Blind aluminum core boards, and those were the fucking shit. Prolly would have rode those my entire life if the option was available.
What did you think of the && Flight Deck though?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

InVerseKinematicKingy

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
date=1616343709
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Best deck I ever skated
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
What did you think of the && Flight Deck though?

Ive wanted to try it, but it literally sells out or whatever. That kid must literally sell the stupidest amount of boards.

I’m not into shaped boards at all, unless it’s a poolboard/cruiser/longboard that has a niche optimal purpose.

The board has a very unusual shape, so I have no idea if I’d like it. I always thought the Steadham board was the best damn shape for pool board, so I’m willing to give it a try. I’m curious how it performs on manuals more than anything with that shape.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 02:31:50 PM »
Y'all made me look up the Powell flight decks. In NZ that'll cost me $175usd for a deck that's still going to razortail. Hard pass
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
Y'all made me look up the Powell flight decks. In NZ that'll cost me $175usd for a deck that's still going to razortail. Hard pass
That’s the #1 reason I retire boards these days, frankly.
Up until recently, I hadn’t broken a deck in 7 years or so.
I’m not their target market tho.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

InVerseKinematicKingy

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 05:26:54 PM »

What does a normal 7 ply cost you? For me a normal board is $50-$60, and flight boards I have seen between $85-$100. Dwindle stuff has always been in the same ballpark for me. The cost isn’t the thing stopping me from getting flight boards, it’s consistent distribution.

I personally stick with Deluxe since I like consistency with wood/shape, and I travel an awful lot which means Powell isn’t an option. There are a lot of shops that don’t carry Powell because they are too “cool guy”, y’all know those loser ass vibes. Every schmuck and his mom thinks Deluxe is cool even though they are as lame a fucking company as you can have in a lot of ways. I will say they make the 2nd best boards in the industry, and other than the holiday seasons their QA/QC is consistent enough.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 06:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What does a normal 7 ply cost you? For me a normal board is $50-$60, and flight boards I have seen between $85-$100. Dwindle stuff has always been in the same ballpark for me. The cost isn’t the thing stopping me from getting flight boards, it’s consistent distribution.

I personally stick with Deluxe since I like consistency with wood/shape, and I travel an awful lot which means Powell isn’t an option. There are a lot of shops that don’t carry Powell because they are too “cool guy”, y’all know those loser ass vibes. Every schmuck and his mom thinks Deluxe is cool even though they are as lame a fucking company as you can have in a lot of ways. I will say they make the 2nd best boards in the industry, and other than the holiday seasons their QA/QC is consistent enough.
The exchange rate has been fluctuating between 60c and 75c on the dollar in the last few years. Current prices look like:
Quasi: $130nzd = $91usd
Baker: $150nzd = $105usd
FA: $180nzd = $125usd
Powell Flight $250nzd = $175usd

Also my city is one of the most expensive in the world to live in, in terms of wages vs cost of living. Rent, food, gas, imported goods are all pricey.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 06:48:59 PM »
I have 2 Flights in the go. One pool, one popsicle. I’ve ridden both for about a year (I’m stingy with decks, and don’t snap them. I’m pretty low-impact and do more ramp skating and slappies than anything else).

Having said that, the pop is still fine. If the board razortails, I just sand it down a bit.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea