Author Topic: Pivo - Auto tracking gadget  (Read 293 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Pivo - Auto tracking gadget
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Question or you. Being the popluar person that I am, I tend to skate alone and use the old Iphone / Tripod combo to 'stack' a few old man clips. Saw this thing on the 'gram called the Pivo - Its an autop tracker for phones - I can apparently follow you to a certain degree. . Figured maybe I could 'up' my Iphone Tripod game with this Pivo gadget and 'stack' better old man clips.

Thoughts on this - has anyone ever used one in general or know of them? Waste of money?

What to do.

Thanks.

https://getpivo.com/

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
Re: Pivo - Auto tracking gadget
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
I only browsed the site quickly and didn't see an answer, but the main thing I would want to know is how far away it can detect and track a person.

I bought a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 awhile back because I wanted a gimbal. I learned the DJI app also has motion-tracking and thought it would be cool to do the same thing you mentioned: set it up on a tripod somewhere and get some selfie clips with the tracking. the DJI app will lose the subject after about 8-10 feet away, AND if you go out of frame at all, it doesn't really pick you up again when you return, despite DJI's claims. It's basically useless for selfie clips, unless you're a freestyler maybe.

Obviously DJI and Pivo are different companies but unless Pivo's technology is much better, it's likely the same. I would contact their support team and try to find some details around it's effective range and the specific mechanics behind it.

Seems like a very useful feature that if done well a lot of people would like. I think I've heard there are some drones that can track subjects pretty well but I don't know any more than that.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
Re: Pivo - Auto tracking gadget
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:51:12 AM »
Thanks for the insight @Burton Ernie!

Valid point!