Author Topic: Upscaling of SD footage  (Read 1245 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Upscaling of SD footage
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:36:02 PM »
Hello fellow SD enthusiasts,

From what I understand the best way to get the most quality out of VX/SD/etc footage destined for YouTube is to upscale it and render as HD, my question is what's the best way/settings of going about this? Did some searching and there's so many different options/settings. What I've done is captured the tape, threw it into Sony Vegas on a HD 1440x1080 50fps timeline and rendered with the same settings at a 14mb bitrate. Looks decent to me but I was speaking to a guy and he runs all his stuff through Handbrake to deinterlace and convert to mp4, then exports at 720p so at this point I'm unsure as to what the best methodology for this stuff is. Curious to hear how others do it etc.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
Re: Upscaling of SD footage
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 04:56:06 AM »
i use the same method as you did except i use a 1500x1080 comp as i like to strech my footage a little bit and it looks good enough. bitrate of 25mbps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPfnqrlKUPI

the handbrake thing seems too much of a struggle even if it bumps the quality even slightly. you can't do much starting from an sd file, especially from a vx1000

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 06:54:42 AM »
@bataaard yeah I was thinking handbrake seems a bit convoluted and could result in almost a loss of quality, my reasoning being

my method: capture over firewire to avi, edit in vegas and export to 1440x1080 50fps and vegas handles deinterlacing etc (i have yadif for vegas)
method suggested to me by another guy: capture over firewire to avi, encode with handbrake to mp4 with the fast 1080p preset, original dimensions, 50fps and yadif deinterlacing, then edit and export at 720p etc.

maybe it's just me but the handbrake way seems more convoluted and could result in a quality loss since it's being encoded twice.

rad video btw.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
@bataaard yeah I was thinking handbrake seems a bit convoluted and could result in almost a loss of quality, my reasoning being

my method: capture over firewire to avi, edit in vegas and export to 1440x1080 50fps and vegas handles deinterlacing etc (i have yadif for vegas)
method suggested to me by another guy: capture over firewire to avi, encode with handbrake to mp4 with the fast 1080p preset, original dimensions, 50fps and yadif deinterlacing, then edit and export at 720p etc.

maybe it's just me but the handbrake way seems more convoluted and could result in a quality loss since it's being encoded twice.

rad video btw.

If Vegas can de-interlace, I don't see any reason to bother with Handbrake. How does your stuff look on YouTube with your current settings?

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
I get better results deinterlacing in vegas applying the yadif plugin on the clips directly. Handbrake is good though anf if you start playing with the settings, you can get really good quality/size ratio.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 01:29:23 AM »
Do you guys do a constant bitrate (CBR) or variable bitrate (VBR) with those bitrates you mentioned as your base bitrate?

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 04:05:55 AM »
Iīm using the free davinci resolve version in which deinterlacing isnīt availlable.
since davinci doesnīt recognise .dv clips I have to convert it with handbrake anyway.

whats the best process to get the best quality out on youtube? I want to export it to 1080p 50fps
I got an 720x576 PAL (25fps) camcorder

Currently I deinterlace the .dv clips in handbrake (yadif-bob) and export it in davinci in 1440x1080 50fps
would it be better to directly upscale in handbrake?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:52 PM »
these are my settings, i don't even change it back to square pixel aspect ratio, i just keep it at ntsc (0.9091), but you could and then use 1440x1080 (for NTSC)

also i add about 25 sharpness to the clips using lumetri color. i make an adjustment layer over the entire edit and do a base look + sharpening, and then change the clips on a clip by clip basis for white balance adjustments/brightness.

https://youtu.be/9oR2VMQ2VQg
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 07:23:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkKaVyx1ukU&t=179s
this video helped me a lot! somehow 50fps upscaled sd footage looks way better on youtube