Author Topic: Fear resets daily...  (Read 2096 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Fear resets daily...
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Early on in my skating, I remember fucking my wrists up terribly all the time, and broke a finger or two

Eventually i learned to always tuck my arms in and land in a roll on my hips/ass, even if I'm going 2mph and it's a dainty little fall, my brain is now conditioned to never attempt to brace myself with my arms

That removed a lot of my early "fear" issues, though now all these years later i'm starting to get gnarly hip issues
[close]

Neither one sounds like a good compromise... :P
Need my wrists & hips... ;D
I need to learn not falling on my hands to muscle memory asap if i have any hopes of continuing street skating...

Tried to find some padded hip shorts but they all make you look like you're wearing diapers...
I may try to modify some skating pants, motorcycle style...
[close]
Jeez dude
[close]

You got something to say?

i wear speedos over my underwear - sometimes just speedos then pants - feels great in the breezy temps
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »
If I were you, I would pad up as much as possible. But there is no really technique to prevent slams in skating. (If someone knows one please let me know).

I wear ankle braces on both ankles and a cap or beanie gives me more confidence. And stretching! It helps so much, I swear. Before the sesh, after and on days were you don't skate.

Maybe a bigger board would help you for the first months  to feel more secure. Last time I fucked my ankle, a got a brown bomber (8.8 wide) and were just cruising. Slappys count as cruising, right? ^^

But ultimately, skating isn't rocket science. Try not to overthink it and enjoy every second on the board. It's all about the fun. Not about some stupid medals.
IG: @flowterspace

Mugen_G

• Rep: -5
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
If I were you, I would pad up as much as possible. But there is no really technique to prevent slams in skating. (If someone knows one please let me know).

I wear ankle braces on both ankles and a cap or beanie gives me more confidence. And stretching! It helps so much, I swear. Before the sesh, after and on days were you don't skate.

Maybe a bigger board would help you for the first months  to feel more secure. Last time I fucked my ankle, a got a brown bomber (8.8 wide) and were just cruising. Slappys count as cruising, right? ^^

But ultimately, skating isn't rocket science. Try not to overthink it and enjoy every second on the board. It's all about the fun. Not about some stupid medals.

I appreciate your suggestions!
I've been researching into why I'm seemingly paralysed on the board. And it seems I'm suffering from some type of post traumatic anxiety. Related to the repeated slams onto the same wrist. Because I seem to be able to do these tricks normally (at a beginner level) while holding on to some thing or chocking the wheels.

I also do tend to subconsciously make things harder for myself. I have a traditional shaped 32" cruiser on risers it's 8.5 at it's widest and tapers to 7.5 at the tail.
It's heavy...and has a really steep tail and non existent nose... It's only saving grace are  some 56mm x 95a mini logo A cuts... they're friggin sweet...lol

My street deck is a 7.3 x 29 mini... :P
I didn't realize it would be that small in reality and I convinced myself if i could learn flat ground tricks on a toothpick... I'd be that stronger a skater... ::)

I also have ankle braces, knee, elbow, wrist pads and a brain bucket. U fortunately my dumb ego has had me wearing only wrist and knee protection...but obviously not till I already hurt my wrist the 1st and worst time...

I'm not afraid to admit it...
Always having been a skinny dude I'm fairly lite on my feet...or so I thought...but reality is making me realize age + the fact that I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FALL PROPERLY to muscle memory...means that I am indeed afraid to fall...

I just got myself a "normal" 8 x 31.5 deck with mid height trucks...
Hopefully it'll go a ways towards not feeling like I'm landing on a sardine...

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »

Honestly, it took about a year for my body to adapt to skating when I came back to it. Once my legs, ankles, core, etc. regained some of that strength, I started being able to weasel my way out of a bunch of situations that would’ve pitched me before without falling and when I do, I’m starting to have a lot more control over the fall. Sucks but unless you want to get in some sort of workout routine to get those muscles in shape, you kinda gotta be clumsy and patient for a little bit.

As for the fear, I read somewhere around here before to just leave the fucking wheels on the ground for a few hours/days/weeks and ride. That worked for me coming back from a knee injury.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Mugen_G

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 06:14:53 AM »
I'm getting through it, the ptsd that was paralyzing me ,at least, I've overcome.
Admittedly it wasn't an irrational fear...at least not to me.
Fall on an injured limb multiple times and it's not surprising your subconscious brain would simply refuse to allow you to continue said activity...lol

But i broke through it. (Helps that I got it checked out and got on anti inflammatories)

So I'm on my way to learning free wheeled ollies again.
Hippie jumps are still the most terrifying things yet...lol

Brguy

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »
Try to enjoy the fear, do some stupid shit and then laugh about how you're not dead and your heart is beating super fast. There's really no getting around it, if you want to skate you'll have to face them anyway, might as well do it fast and fun instead of stressing too much on a safe and slow progression, which in my experience doesn't work most of the time anyway, you either commit to something or you don't.

Mugen_G

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
Try to enjoy the fear, do some stupid shit and then laugh about how you're not dead and your heart is beating super fast. There's really no getting around it, if you want to skate you'll have to face them anyway, might as well do it fast and fun instead of stressing too much on a safe and slow progression, which in my experience doesn't work most of the time anyway, you either commit to something or you don't.

lol Enjoy the fear he says...is that like that weird "kick me in the jimmy" Beavis&Butthead video?

I'm trying man, but it was frustrating for a bit  after spraining my wrist...it still can be, because I'll start out fresh landing everything then slowly degenerate into not landing sheittt...

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »

from personal experience all my slams resulted in me not doing a trick with "intention" instead just kinda half-assing and autopiloting - i realize i need to bail too late and that's when i slam.

Also roll as hard as possible and don't be afraid to look ridiculous with all your limbs flying everywhere, its hard to explain but if you watch some rough cuts you'll see what I'm talking about.

the intention thing was mentioned in a "skate insights" thread and stuck with me because it applied personally so idk
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mugen_G

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

from personal experience all my slams resulted in me not doing a trick with "intention" instead just kinda half-assing and autopiloting - i realize i need to bail too late and that's when i slam.

Also roll as hard as possible and don't be afraid to look ridiculous with all your limbs flying everywhere, its hard to explain but if you watch some rough cuts you'll see what I'm talking about.

the intention thing was mentioned in a "skate insights" thread and stuck with me because it applied personally so idk

The more I commit (see what I did there...  ;D ) to this sports hobby, the more I realize it's a catch 22...
The slam that sprained my wrist was a ridiculous looking slow motion drop that had me doing an awkward back shoulder roll...still sprained my wrist...

I've landed primo (with the classic follow up of landing your ass on top of the rail sprawl) fully commiting to a botched ollie and laughed it off without any pain anywhere...3 times...

I also landed my best fully committed ollie...only to have the board shoot out from under me and send me skidding sideways on my ass...the only thing I hurt was my already injured wrist...

I also had my rear ice out on me and slam me into a side flop faster than my brain could realize I was standing...now I'm not...what the hell happened..?
Hurt only my already injured wrist...
Ive realized there's no rational answer as to why anyone chooses to continue pursuing mastering the art of standing on a large bar of soap... :o

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2021, 12:10:06 AM »
Ive realized there's no rational answer as to why anyone chooses to continue pursuing mastering the art of standing on a large bar of soap... :o

Because eventually landing stuff, especially after a long battle, feels so good  :D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Brguy

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol Enjoy the fear he says...is that like that weird "kick me in the jimmy" Beavis&Butthead video?

I'm trying man, but it was frustrating for a bit  after spraining my wrist...it still can be, because I'll start out fresh landing everything then slowly degenerate into not landing sheittt...
I never said it was easy, but seriously, think about why the best advice and incentive given a lot of the times is "GET IIIT!!", because there's nothing you can do except dive straight on whatever you're trying to do, unless you're extremely good it is what it is, just diving into the unknown.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2021, 01:10:01 AM »
if you've only been skating for 3 months, maybe you just need to chill out and stop trying to do tricks for the time being, or at least the ones you are trying. skating certainly involves doing ollies, but it also involves having fun and it sounds like you're not really having any fun - just stressing over fear and pain. from how awkward it sounds for you - i think you should stop using your cruiser board and just push around, tic tac, crabwalk and carve and learn how to let your body be loose on a regular skateboard.

also, there is no real connection between being able to do something holding onto a railing and doing it without the railing, so i wouldn't consider that an inconsistency in your ability to skate - it's just that they're two completely different things.

and yeah, you do need to learn to enjoy/harness the fear and pain. everybody has it and is kind of a big part of what makes skating a thrill. but that's all up to you to wrap your head around - don't buck at it when people tell you it's part of skating - it's not macho, it's just a fact. i'm certainly not a macho man.

what sort of skating do you aspire to?

have fun!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mugen_G

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2021, 06:54:10 AM »
if you've only been skating for 3 months, maybe you just need to chill out and stop trying to do tricks for the time being, or at least the ones you are trying. skating certainly involves doing ollies, but it also involves having fun and it sounds like you're not really having any fun - just stressing over fear and pain. from how awkward it sounds for you - i think you should stop using your cruiser board and just push around, tic tac, crabwalk and carve and learn how to let your body be loose on a regular skateboard.

also, there is no real connection between being able to do something holding onto a railing and doing it without the railing, so i wouldn't consider that an inconsistency in your ability to skate - it's just that they're two completely different things.

and yeah, you do need to learn to enjoy/harness the fear and pain. everybody has it and is kind of a big part of what makes skating a thrill. but that's all up to you to wrap your head around - don't buck at it when people tell you it's part of skating - it's not macho, it's just a fact. i'm certainly not a macho man.

what sort of skating do you aspire to?

have fun!

I split my skating into 2 activities, cruising and flat ground practice.
I've only been practicing 3 tricks, ollie, manual and shove it.
I stopped practicing the shove it when it made me realize that regardless of how "comfortable" I THINK I am riding my board I still have a long way to actually being it.

Cruising around fast and being able to carve for speed and to reduce it is one thing.

I'm now practicing riding off curbs and doing front and back side pivots...reverts in the odd circumstance i encounter smooth concrete (rare) I'm also focusing on manuals though I'm afraid they're going to ruin my deck before i can learn to do much else on it... :P

I've come a long way since this posts creation.
I'm actually able to attempt and often land an ollie while rolling!

Aspirations?
Funny you say that, originally I wanted to learn downhill freeride...lol yeah I live in south fl... ::)

So believe it or not, what got me interested in skating was wanting to be able to power slide giant hills...

But once I realized that would be impossible unless I moved...
I decided to simply learn basic street skating, how to ollie up and off curbs and be able to stop by powersliding...and SLAPPY skating...that looks really fun...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2021, 10:07:02 AM »

honestly man....you should hit up Facebook...theres a bunch of older skater groups that will be much more supportive....

for me the key is balancing out what you want to do, and what you can do.  What's helpful is always trying to find things you can do....even if it's not even what you necessarily want...those little things have been helpful in my longevity and sanity....

What about putting your front foot on your bolts and doing a shitty 90 degree frontside powerslide, pushing your back foot forward?  That'll lead to a better powerslide or a frontside 180....

You're somewhat right about people over simplifying 'just being on your board' but a lot of people spent days pushing around their neighbourhood, there is value in that. 

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
Do 25 ollies every day. 25 moving ollies. You can always make time for that. It's been my key to getting over fear about an ankle I broke...........19 years ago.
ok thanks

Mugen_G

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »

honestly man....you should hit up Facebook...theres a bunch of older skater groups that will be much more supportive....

for me the key is balancing out what you want to do, and what you can do.  What's helpful is always trying to find things you can do....even if it's not even what you necessarily want...those little things have been helpful in my longevity and sanity....

What about putting your front foot on your bolts and doing a shitty 90 degree frontside powerslide, pushing your back foot forward?  That'll lead to a better powerslide or a frontside 180....

You're somewhat right about people over simplifying 'just being on your board' but a lot of people spent days pushing around their neighbourhood, there is value in that.

Weird...my last response to you wasn't posted... :-*
Nah I don't really need support from my own age demographic or any other.

I usually post simply to vent frustrations.
I DO appreciate any advice and tips others give.
But usually I realize and solve whatever issue I'm having on my own.

Not sure what you mena by "just being on your board" and  people spending a lot of time cruising having value...cause I actually cruise around my area a lot more than I actually practice flat ground tricks...for now...

I'll start learning to powerslide when I feel I'm ready.
I've just recently gotten comfortable doing pivots and reverts so logically that would come next...but not yet.

Mugen_G

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
Do 25 ollies every day. 25 moving ollies. You can always make time for that. It's been my key to getting over fear about an ankle I broke...........19 years ago.

Yes, that's what I'm doing now.
Friday I spent about 2 hours just practicing moving ollies, reverts and manual, cycling through them to not get bored or frustrated.
Take in to account, I LITERALLY just managed to muster up the courage to try moving ollies.

Today, I didn't, I longboard looking for a good spot and when I finally found one...I realized I'd forgotten my wrist guards.. my sprained wrist is JUST about healed.
I can't afford to re-injure it again...so nothing but a few hours of cruising...

Brguy

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 09:47:35 PM »
I just thought of an analogy for skateboarding, it is like an needle in the arm, you know it will hurt and that's not good, but you have to endure that pain for your goal, be it a vaccination, a blood test or doing an ollie faster than you're used to. I agree with the people above me though, stressing will only make it all worse, if you're not good to do something now it's way better to just have fun than push yourself towards something you're not confident in doing. Just being relaxed and skating is the best way to learn anyway, fuck having an athletes goal.

Mugen_G

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
I just thought of an analogy for skateboarding, it is like an needle in the arm, you know it will hurt and that's not good, but you have to endure that pain for your goal, be it a vaccination, a blood test or doing an ollie faster than you're used to. I agree with the people above me though, stressing will only make it all worse, if you're not good to do something now it's way better to just have fun than push yourself towards something you're not confident in doing. Just being relaxed and skating is the best way to learn anyway, fuck having an athletes goal.

Being intimately familiar with intramuscular injections I can agree with your analogy. There's a phenomenon known as needle anxiety where you over imagine how painful an injection is and panic. When in reality the pain in minimal.

And while in skating your mind feeds you worse case scenarios...slams can still be pretty painful... :o

I know my limits, my and as I get more comfortable on my board my confidence rises and I can overcome the fear of slams...most of the time... :P

I'm a complete rookie...which is fine...but I'd love to get to the good stuff as quickly as safely possible...lol
I'd love to be able to do a simple smooth line... ;D