Author Topic: How to resurface blacktop  (Read 948 times)

Derek.Stevenson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
How to resurface blacktop
« on: March 27, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
Our local bank / bump asphalt is very weathered and rough. What should I use to resurface it? I grabbed trowel patch but then noticed it said rubberized on the pail so don’t want it to be rubbery.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: How to resurface blacktop
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:57 AM »
It's very hard to make lasting repairs on asphalt. You can saw-cut sections out and replace with concrete, try a skim-coat driveway repair product, but if it's not too far gone the easiest way to make an improvement is to glob on a few layers of latex paint with a roller on a broomstick. You can sometimes get "mis-tinted" paints for a steep discount from the paint store.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
I know the term they use is 'sport court' asphalt for stuff like tennis courts, it's just a coating which I suspect you can buy....it has sand in it though so maybe there is something a bit smoother. 

Derek.Stevenson

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Ya I did see the sport court stuff at Home Depot I might grab that and do a test spot to see how gritty it is. I was hoping to get it smooth for sliding at top also but maybe it won’t be that bad and can put a few layers of lacquer at top

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
i think there is something like this for blacktop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbTyAtJhOws

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
I know the term they use is 'sport court' asphalt for stuff like tennis courts, it's just a coating which I suspect you can buy....it has sand in it though so maybe there is something a bit smoother.

The stuff for basketball courts has less grit. It’s really the best stuff for asphalt but it’s expensive and is sort of “self leveling” so I didn’t think it would work on a bank very well.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »
If you have access to one, an Angle grinder and diamond cup wheel should take care of it. May need quite a few batteries/return trips. Haven’t used it for asphalt but used it for tons of spots. It’s a big investment if you don’t own one, but if you have the means it’s a great investment. I’ve unlocked so many spots with that combo.

Derek.Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
It's very hard to make lasting repairs on asphalt. You can saw-cut sections out and replace with concrete, try a skim-coat driveway repair product, but if it's not too far gone the easiest way to make an improvement is to glob on a few layers of latex paint with a roller on a broomstick. You can sometimes get "mis-tinted" paints for a steep discount from the paint store.
Ah that a great idea with the latex paint going to try that thanks!

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:43:03 PM »
I have used paint before but can be too slippery. Like a thin layer of rain water stuck to the paint that is absorbed by the blacktop.

Anyway hope you can fix it, a bank/bump is one of the most fun things to skate imho, especially when you get older.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »
Paint definitely gets deadly slick when wet but there aren’t a whole lot of better options.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:16:20 PM »
Curious on this too. What about driveway filler & sealer? Or some bags of QPR asphalt patching and a tamper?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »
went down a rabbit holeand found this.
theres a grade with smaller granules that you can get in canada yet, but I think that would be better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeY7XNwNfkE

Derek.Stevenson

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 03:32:11 PM »
went down a rabbit holeand found this.
theres a grade with smaller granules that you can get in canada yet, but I think that would be better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeY7XNwNfkE

Wow that is exactly what I was thinking off!! You rule! Thanks!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 05:38:53 PM »
They did that at the plaza and we lost our fucking minds.....I'm sure it'll work just fine at your spot.  I still like that gloss on a painted surface...

Dudes here built a DIY wall ride with concrete, to transition the materials they floated bondo and it worked well.