Author Topic: Good Ol' Fashioned BS Crooked Grinds  (Read 1431 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
Good Ol' Fashioned BS Crooked Grinds
« on: March 27, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
I have struggled with these for a long time... I can BS noseslide well and get out with a bit of pop, but the crook eludes me.

Usually when I manage to lock in, I end up sticking and flying forward. If that doesn't happen, I get to the end of the ledge and the board just pressure heelflips out.

I feel like I'm leaning too far forward and not bending my knees enough, but other than that what tips do you guys have for making these work?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:27:39 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
Re: Good Ol' Fashioned BS Crooked Grinds
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »
I know the term is way overused, but it’s crucial to get a good pinch on the ledge so you have somewhere solid to place your weight and a balance point to work with. Sounds like you’re not having problems getting into them, you just need to make sure you’re pinching your heel side wheel to the board with your mid foot and leaning back enough to not stick but not so much that you slip out. I like to think of it like I’m putting a ton of weight on my heel but also keeping the weight of my upper body behind that point to keep it plowing along the ledge. Wax can make it easier to just focus on the lock in and holding it so you’re not as prone to sticking. For the pop out it should come pretty naturally if you’re locked into a proper crook, you just basically allow the truck to return to center and give a little nollie motion once you’re ready to dismount. The little nollie push off the ledge should keep the board from flopping out if done properly. Good luck learning them, they’re one of the most satisfying grinds you can do

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:36:44 AM »
Got a couple of these today for the first time, and focusing on pinching the heelside wheel to the board definitely helped. I always knew that was what was supposed to happen, but I was very intentional about it and it helped.

Something else that really helped was getting on to the ledge in the middle and pushing it along to get off the end. This helped me commit to locking in and also gave me some time to get comfortable and really sit on the heel like you said. It also gave me time to think about what to do with my back foot, putting it in that bent position and keeping it higher than my front until the pop out.

The skatepark ledge I got em on is small and has a perfect angle iron 90 degree edge which helped out a ton, but I can't wait to try em out on some ledges around town when street skating.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:38:14 AM »
Got a couple of these today for the first time, and focusing on pinching the heelside wheel to the board definitely helped. I always knew that was what was supposed to happen, but I was very intentional about it and it helped.

Something else that really helped was getting on to the ledge in the middle and pushing it along to get off the end. This helped me commit to locking in and also gave me some time to get comfortable and really sit on the heel like you said. It also gave me time to think about what to do with my back foot, putting it in that bent position and keeping it higher than my front until the pop out.

The skatepark ledge I got em on is small and has a perfect angle iron 90 degree edge which helped out a ton, but I can't wait to try em out on some ledges around town when street skating.

Awesome to hear you got them. Crooks were one of my first ledge tricks and remain a favorite

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Awesome to hear you got them. Crooks were one of my first ledge tricks and remain a favorite

Good to hear something I said helped you out! They definitely get tougher to hold on more rounded street ledges, but you got it!