Author Topic: RIP Chaffey High  (Read 1991 times)

bentmode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
RIP Chaffey High
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »
This has been my first interaction with the slap populous in maybe a decade and it comes with a heavy heart. I received news yesterday that the court yard at Chaffey High School in Ontario, California had been or was in the process of being demolished. If you aren’t familiar I would describe it as the love park of the west coast and a plaza before plazas were a thing, dating back to the height of the spot in the mid to late 90’s.

By the time I had first stepped foot there it had seen its run and legend had it that a bmx kid had been stabbed by a skateboarder and came back to sledge hammer the part of the court yard that had been heavily skated. Massive chunks of the blocks had been clearly taken out by something far beyond skateboarding. This was when I was thirteen. There was something mystical about Chaffey. The history and the timelessness had me come back for 8 summers of abuse. I can say without a doubt that my rotating cast of a skate crew wasn’t as psyched as I was to spend a hot summer day in that run down courtyard but when you skated past the center ledge and could pinpoint where Guy grinded on the block, or where Kareem had kick flipped over a trash can upright, you knew that you were in a bubble and for that session all time and history was seamless.

I have many fond memories of Chaffey, most just hanging with my friends who I don’t really get to see or speak to regularly. I feel like a piece of those memories left with the demolition of the courtyard. I sure as hell didn’t get many tricks or clips there. It was hard enough to skate and I think it’s a reason why I came back summer after summer. It helped create a mental toughness that shaped my adolescence and help create the person I am today. 

RIP Chaffey. Thanks for the good times. Thanks for the bad times. Thanks to anyone who stepped foot on hallowed ground. We lost a good one.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
Re: RIP Chaffey High
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »
The most Chaffey High part I can think of:

Great local spot to have. Sorry to hear about another landmark spot closing.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
thoughts and prayers go out to jesse mcraney

Massivebellend

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »
thoughts and prayers go out to jesse mcraney

My thoughts exactly! His 411 part was 98% Chaffey

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »

Some decent Chaffey Discussion starts around 30:40 - 35:00. RIP to a legendary spot.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:04:07 PM »
I lived 20 min away my whole life and only started going there the past few years right before i moved to the midwest. Definitely had a magical feel to it. Shoutout JPJadeed. He killed that spot among many others
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:11:14 PM by Stlfromca »

GrapesofThrash

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
First time posting, Rest In Peace to some truly shitty ledges. <3 got wind they were taking all the ledges out so I got a clip there recently before they tore it out. Fun times there.

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 09:50:33 PM »
First time posting, Rest In Peace to some truly shitty ledges. <3 got wind they were taking all the ledges out so I got a clip there recently before they tore it out. Fun times there.

Damn that blunt was sick! Looks like the bail hurt like a mofo