Author Topic: Bastien Salabanzi-"Not so sorry" Part  (Read 7004 times)

Swithflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Bastien Salabanzi-"Not so sorry" Part
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2021, 05:48:09 AM »
Too many toxic comments in this shit. Slap sucks.

ilikebigbutts

• Rep: -42
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2021, 06:10:13 AM »
wasn't he kicked off because he asked for money to buy a guitar on instagram? or prod or some primitive stockholder didn't like that and they told him and he just quit instead of apologizing or taking the guitar post down?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2021, 06:28:47 AM »
Wow! Loved it! Hes switch front side flips are my favorite. WTF happened with him and Primitive? I wonder if all this was pre injury. I know he's had a few. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why wasn't this a Primitive part? Seems like their business model is to add legends for the one day hype and then never do anything with them.
[close]

i don't think he's on anymore
[close]

Exactly. Why was he kicked off if he had a solid video part to drop? What happened to Devine Calloway?

Bastien wasn’t kicked off. He quit. He was very open about it on IG saying he didn’t feel like he was skating enough or at a level where he felt comfortable on Primitive. PRod actually said he disagreed but respected his decision and Primitive always has his back. So people saying that he deserves better sponsors are forgetting he actively chose to leave a solid board sponsor.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 07:32:37 AM »
Great skating, but I wonder how his guitar collection is doing these days. Is it getting the attention it deserves?

Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

michael scarn

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:45 AM »
Man. When I saw that not so subtle nod of Not So Sorry. I was hoping for more lost tapes. Some of you dick riding hard and thats fine, cause early 2000s Bastien hands down was the best doing it. Some of yall may even be swept up in a heavy nostalgia combined with some sort of emotional experience you're having cause this music was featured in your favorite kids movie about talking lions.

But that was whack. I just wasn't feeling. A couple tricks I liked and overall it's Bastien and despit whatever he is pretty rad. Idk though this one fell short like way short. I thought it was gonna pick up in the second half and just got slower.

Would have been cool to see him pack up the double flips and cab nd flip lips for some of that other stuff he was doing. Like the bench to bench stuff and the manual outta the hubba was cool to see from him. Not saying he don't make double flips look good but it lost its appeal 10 years ago. Dudes been doing the same tricks for nearly 20 years.

And absolute terrible name choice for a part considering the history and just how lacking and almost sad the final product is.

That being said. Still got me stoked. But some of yall really off touch on this one. Dude needs to either switch it up or pack it up.

Said it better than i could. Agreed.

ballintoohard

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 07:50:36 AM »
Can anyone direct me to or summarize info on how he was a kook?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 08:02:15 AM »
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/bastien-salabanzi-past-present-and-future/

Surprisingly that was a more coherent, thoughtful interview than I bet you’d be able to get out of anyone else from that era of Flip, with the possible exception of Alex Chalmers.

The characterization of Appleyard as kinda a naive mark was funny. Never really thought of him that way but totally makes sense. You can Nollie heel nose slide 10 stair rails but can’t make love to woman?? Haha

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2021, 09:30:09 AM »
How can you hate on this?   Dude was 14 filming for sorry on a level comparable to Arto in his prime....and he is still skating.

That was sick.  Bastien is sick.

Also, his interviews over the past few years have really shed light on who he is and I don't know how anyone can say the dude's a tool or a jerk
where is home?

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »
«  Sorry » was the first video I bought.

Salabanzi is 4 years older than me, and you can imagine my reaction when I found out he was a fellow Frenchman...Then I saw him at a demo few months later, I was obviously mind blown. he was so good. he destroyed my hometown’s shitty wooden skatepark.

I also heard bad stories about him after Flip kicked him out... to me he has the « kid with too much pressure on his shoulders » syndrome. Must be hard to cope with all the pressure of being a French teenage pro skater living in the USA... with adult men. adult men partying all the time haha.

After his Flip years (as I entered in my boring « Puleo New York Cellar Doors loose trucks » phase) I kinda lost interest, to me he was more of a contest skater, too « mainstream » and he did too much double flips for me. Living Europe for months / weeks must be hard at that age. Even if this a dream comes true experience.

That said i hope his doing well. Starting gofundmes to buy a guitar is not a thing I would recommend, but he will always have a special place in my skateboarding life.

Ah i just remembered I had a Flip Bastien Victory sticker on my desk for years.

Wandalumioshlomo

• Rep: -21
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Can’t wait for the next flip video! This promo for not so sorry part was nice!
I remember it being very weird that arto was on destructo for a good while, maybe he still is!
Glad bastien still has the same bag of tricks! A kicky pretzel down some stairs would’ve been a nice touch!

In all seriousness I liked this part, pretty feel good! Gonna go watch his sorrry and really sorry part!
[close]

What year did you just wake up from?
 This was cute honestly could’ve pared it down to like 6 tricks the rest was boring rehashed 2003 tricks. Switch? Heel front crook was cool in 2006. Bastien is and has been lame for years. He should be glad p Rod even gave him a chance to get his SRV guitar on eBay.
Shut your mouth and watch his 9 club. Dude is totally chill and nice. Got hurt a year after getting on primitive, and had a hard time bouncing back, plus having a wife and kid waiting in France. Pay respect to a living legend u clown. 

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
Man. When I saw that not so subtle nod of Not So Sorry. I was hoping for more lost tapes. Some of you dick riding hard and thats fine, cause early 2000s Bastien hands down was the best doing it. Some of yall may even be swept up in a heavy nostalgia combined with some sort of emotional experience you're having cause this music was featured in your favorite kids movie about talking lions.

But that was whack. I just wasn't feeling. A couple tricks I liked and overall it's Bastien and despit whatever he is pretty rad. Idk though this one fell short like way short. I thought it was gonna pick up in the second half and just got slower.

Would have been cool to see him pack up the double flips and cab nd flip lips for some of that other stuff he was doing. Like the bench to bench stuff and the manual outta the hubba was cool to see from him. Not saying he don't make double flips look good but it lost its appeal 10 years ago. Dudes been doing the same tricks for nearly 20 years.

And absolute terrible name choice for a part considering the history and just how lacking and almost sad the final product is.

That being said. Still got me stoked. But some of yall really off touch on this one. Dude needs to either switch it up or pack it up.
You seem like quite the happy cunt.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31:41 PM »

This video sums it up. Kooky but somewhat awesome at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kon3oX2I1n0

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The moment when he bulldozes through the crowd to hug his homie was so fucked lmao.

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2021, 05:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The moment when he bulldozes through the crowd to hug his homie was so fucked lmao.

I really don't understand why you guys say he was a kook in this video, he was just making amazing tricks, having fun, not being rude and even gave stuff to kids, a great showman.

I will always respect Bastien Salabanzi.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I really don't understand why you guys say he was a kook in this video, he was just making amazing tricks, having fun, not being rude and even gave stuff to kids, a great showman.

Some of it was a bit overkill like going through the crowd to hug the homie, but shit I'd be stoked if I rifled off all those tricks. Double flip boardslide blew my mind.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2021, 11:47:57 PM »
He looks like he has every BS Kickflip variation down, never seen him do a FS Flip or its variations before.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ilikebigbutts

• Rep: -42
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2021, 12:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As long as he doesn't point the finger to the public like he used to do when he was younger I don't care how he celebrates.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2021, 03:00:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Some of it was a bit overkill like going through the crowd to hug the homie, but shit I'd be stoked if I rifled off all those tricks. Double flip boardslide blew my mind.
I think The story was that that's his brother who hadn't seen him skate since Bastien was a kid and it was a pretty emotional moment for them

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2021, 03:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think The story was that that's his brother who hadn't seen him skate since Bastien was a kid and it was a pretty emotional moment for them

yeah man, thats what I ve heard too, that was so cool!!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:09:05 PM by Trilogy »

marty mcfly

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
He looks like he has every BS Kickflip variation down, never seen him do a FS Flip or its variations before.

FS Flip @1:40
Fakie FS Flip @2:40
https://youtu.be/9s1PPgX9k6M