Author Topic: How did you become aware of board differences between woodshops?  (Read 1543 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How did you become aware of board differences between woodshops?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »
I've got a scumco PSstix on ice and while I kinda wanna skate it, I'm pretty happy with the particular BBS shape I'm stocked up on. I don't know if I wanna sell it or save it so that when I'm old and shit I can show off a defunct company and say "remember this KT board?"
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
Had been riding strictly BBS wood while being unaware of it for 2 years of skating, then i got a Foundation 8.25 deck. It seemed to pop so much better, and it was so much more responsive than anything else I had skated.
This feeling was amazing. I looked more into how and where skateboards are made and found the list of woodshops, which began my descent into the madness.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »
ben degros

Who learned about wood shops from…..you guessed it….here…

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 06:25:31 AM »
Trial and error for sure. I think everyone has their preferences, but I've skated more or less the same sizes/ dimensions for the past 7-8 years and you can definitely tell the difference between a good or cheap wood.

Worst for me is definitely Clutch. I weigh 140lbs and broke 2 skating knee high ledges in the same weekend, also just felt flat/lifeless from the beginning. Also skated many Palaces and a few Evisens (dwindle wood?) and the china-wood does indeed suck.

Best for me is PS Stix followed very marginally close by BBS/Generator.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 07:20:39 AM »
Had been riding strictly BBS wood while being unaware of it for 2 years of skating

I wouldn’t say I only skated BBS, but I noticed that certain decks lost their pop and felt soggy very quickly, while others stayed poppy until I wore them out one way or another. Then I started reading the woodshop thread and realized quickly that all the decks I hated were PS and all the decks I loved were BBS. Now I try to only buy BBS decks, which is easy because both of my local shops sell BBS shop decks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
First time I stepped on a pennswood i knew i didnt like it. Then after skating chapman wood exclusively for almost 2 years i started to actually tell the difference between the rest. But pennswood was easy to tell, I tried to skate 2 this past year and literally just took them both apart in the first session.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 03:12:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Had been riding strictly BBS wood while being unaware of it for 2 years of skating
[close]

I wouldn’t say I only skated BBS, but I noticed that certain decks lost their pop and felt soggy very quickly, while others stayed poppy until I wore them out one way or another. Then I started reading the woodshop thread and realized quickly that all the decks I hated were PS and all the decks I loved were BBS. Now I try to only buy BBS decks, which is easy because both of my local shops sell BBS shop decks.

How did those Globe decks go for you?

*** Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious ***

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »
I rode PS Stix almost exclusively from 2002-2015 almost all AWS/Habitat, a few Elements, and a Toy and a Plan B. All unknowing there were even different woodshops. it wasn't until I got a recent Baker in like 2018 that I got on the BBS train. And the Hook Ups 8in shape is the perfect deck for me. Skinny and tapered at the nose and tail. Reminds me of the first deck I ever had, which was a Brigade deck, when Powell was all in on "Angel Boy" phase.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.