Author Topic: Skate School Teachers: Are they Assholes?  (Read 1885 times)

Your Cousin Marvin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Skate School Teachers: Are they Assholes?
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »
I get we all need to make money in our own way and why not do it by teaching something you love. Sure thats fine.
or is it?
My 9 year old finally started showing interest in skating a few months back (i never wanted to be one of those dads who forces a thing on their kids so I let them know i skated - i go out on weekend mornings and if they're interested then great!) so i've been taking him to the park i give him pointers here and there we don't go when there's a crowd and we finally got his spatial awareness down.
But i digest...
So this guy comes up to me and hands me a business card for his skate school. I've seen this dude around- does nollie 360s and thats about it.
a couple weeks later he gives my kid stickers for his school- my boy doesn't wanna learn tricks yet he's just having fun rolling up and down the banks- he brings up the school to me again- i tell him , "nah we're good he's just having fun." And he brings up that he has advanced courses for myself if i'd be so inclined.
I've seen him teach kids here and there - mainly small children with soccer moms sitting on foldie chairs. Out of curiosity i check his site - beginner course is 75 dollars an hour.
literally all this dude is doing is holding kids hands while they ride and showing them to stop with their foot- once he yelled a dude for trying to ollie. "We're not there yet don't jump ahead"

As a child skateboarding especially balancing on a board and stopping came naturally when i got my first Nash board and it probably would for these kids too. Traditionally, you learn as you go and get pointers FOR FREE from people more experienced than you.
Is he the asshole or am I the asshole?
1:1 Ratio

Masshole

• Rep: 23
Re: Skate School Teachers: Are they Assholes?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
I don't think teaching skate lessons inherently makes you an asshole but it sounds to me like this guy is going about it all wrong. Especially with the "don't jump ahead" thing. That's just bad teaching, don't punish those who progress more quickly.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
tl;dr but what the fuck is a skate school teacher?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:57 AM »
I've seen a couple of those skate lesson guys around and most of them seem nice. They genuinely like to help kids and teach them how to push around and stuff. My only gripe with them is that they never teach them to look around and wait for their turn. Always the little ones just barge ahead and cut you off no matter what. I wish that was one of the first lessons they would teach is to observe your surroundings and make sure you are not getting in the way of anyone and wait your turn. Teach them that and they will become better skaters and better people in general.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
i'd suggest you enroll in my slap posting classes, i'm not sure that you should be starting topics yet... don't jump ahead! only 85 an hour get at me.

conqueso

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »
if the nollie 360's are backside and not popped I would say definitely don't trust the dude

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
I worked at my local indoor for a few years. Supplemented the behind the desk hours wth lessons on the weekend. It was simultaneously rewarding and soul crushing.

Your Cousin Marvin

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
I don't think teaching skate lessons inherently makes you an asshole but it sounds to me like this guy is going about it all wrong. Especially with the "don't jump ahead" thing. That's just bad teaching, don't punish those who progress more quickly.

I don't want to put the dude on blast so i wont post his info but according to the website, ollies are course 2 which is 90 an hour

IpathCats

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »
if the nollie 360's are backside and not popped I would say definitely don't trust the dude

nickpaolucci

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »
I get we all need to make money in our own way and why not do it by teaching something you love. Sure thats fine.
or is it?
My 9 year old finally started showing interest in skating a few months back (i never wanted to be one of those dads who forces a thing on their kids so I let them know i skated - i go out on weekend mornings and if they're interested then great!) so i've been taking him to the park i give him pointers here and there we don't go when there's a crowd and we finally got his spatial awareness down.
But i digest...
So this guy comes up to me and hands me a business card for his skate school. I've seen this dude around- does nollie 360s and thats about it.
a couple weeks later he gives my kid stickers for his school- my boy doesn't wanna learn tricks yet he's just having fun rolling up and down the banks- he brings up the school to me again- i tell him , "nah we're good he's just having fun." And he brings up that he has advanced courses for myself if i'd be so inclined.
I've seen him teach kids here and there - mainly small children with soccer moms sitting on foldie chairs. Out of curiosity i check his site - beginner course is 75 dollars an hour.
literally all this dude is doing is holding kids hands while they ride and showing them to stop with their foot- once he yelled a dude for trying to ollie. "We're not there yet don't jump ahead"

As a child skateboarding especially balancing on a board and stopping came naturally when i got my first Nash board and it probably would for these kids too. Traditionally, you learn as you go and get pointers FOR FREE from people more experienced than you.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »
When I came back to skating I realized I couldnt really be serious about skating street for much longer in my life, considering I will be 45 soon. I'd never really skated tranny before, so I took lessons.
I worked in skating and was totally ingrained in skateboarding culture non-stop for a long time, and the idea of taking lessons was so fucking weird to me. But I swallowed my pride and did it, because I knew the only way I could pro-long my skate life-span was to learn how to skate tranny better, best part of all is that I did it with my (then 11 year old) son. It was such a foreign idea, it definitely took some pride swallowing and felt cringey AF.

The bottom line: It's just about the person you pick and how open you are to the experience. If you get the first one right and stay open minded to what's possible, it can make a big fucking difference. It accelerated my learning curve in a tight 5' bowl and gave me the confidence to buy my own mini ramp and start learning tricks.

Without this I would have definitely gotten discouraged and been a bit aimless. I will be 45 in May, I dont really have time for that. I am not doing any lessons right now. I did them for 3-4 months, once per week, and stopped once snowboarding season picked up and I was traveling a lot. Starting next week I am gonna work with someone new to learn some specific building block tricks on my mini and help get over some fears. Just doing four sessions and I will take it from there.

I should note, the lessons I took were at a private bowl, private facility, 1v1. No interference at the park. No showing off shit, just doing the work.

Maybe one of the best decisions I've ever made in skateboarding (and as a Dad).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:57:36 AM by bigdave »
ok thanks

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »

exactly what I was gonna say HAHA.

Idk but if I had a kid I'd never pay skate classes for him/her. Unless they genuinely asked for.
I kinda doubt a kid needs/ wants a skate teacher. Imagine yourself being 10yo at the park with a grown man holding your hands while some bit older kids are flying around by themselves.

Trae the tank is doing advanced kook classes and his dad is teacher. Can someone confirm that?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:36:00 AM by lucascbn »

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
Sounds like your guy is an asshole alright

I'd be more interested in the teachers at that skate school all the nordic wallie guys come from
Anybody got any info ?

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 09:35:23 AM »
Were you guys being passive aggressive to each other when he told you that he had skate lessons for you? lol even though I'm not the best, that would definitely make me feel some type of way

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
The dudes that run skate after school (Tom Ward and Ryan Lay) are definitely not assholes. They teach underprivileged kids how to skate at no cost to them or their families (non profit). They provide boards, ramps, etc.

If you’re charging $100 an hour, trying to become an Olympic coach then you’re probably an asshole. Just like that Neil Hendrix guy who was accused of raping a 14-15 year old. Also fuck the “coaches” that bring a hoard of kids to the public park and sit in the bottom of the bowl for an hour or more, without letting others to use it

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »
Expand Quote
or is it?
But i digest...

[close]

Haha. When I was a kid I thought the saying was “I dye grass”. I thought it meant that you were a superficial type of person who would just paint or dye  your grass green instead of actually taking the time and energy to grow a healthy, beautiful lawn. I still back my own saying, but I digress.

SourPatch MOY

• Rep: -30
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
My son went to Shreducate Academy - Skateboard Lessons  in Costa Mesa at Volcom Park. The instructor was Joey super cool dude and my son actually learned stuff. I wasn’t sure about skate lessons because when I was a kid you just learned on your own but this is actually probably as good as It can get for lessons. Joey is a very cool respectful guy, great experience

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 11:57:57 AM »
After looking at his terrifying social media accounts I’m gonna go ahead and recommend that you do not let Jordan Richter anywhere near your children. 

Your Cousin Marvin

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »
My son went to Shreducate Academy - Skateboard Lessons  in Costa Mesa at Volcom Park. The instructor was Joey super cool dude and my son actually learned stuff. I wasn’t sure about skate lessons because when I was a kid you just learned on your own but this is actually probably as good as It can get for lessons. Joey is a very cool respectful guy, great experience

But you skateboard? Why couldn't you teach him? Seems like a missed bonding opportunity iyam

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But you skateboard? Why couldn't you teach him? Seems like a missed bonding opportunity iyam

There is a saying in Snowboarding.
"Wanna be single quickly? teach your significant other how to snowboard."

Sometimes you just let experts do what experts do and stay out of their way.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »

Good feedback, I am gonna start working with Joey next week.
ok thanks

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 12:02:50 PM »
I'll be the asshole here.

If that skate "teacher" looks like he wouldn't get a job somewhere else and is "just living the dream" at ~ 35 years old, don't give him money. Saw too many of them.

At some point everyone should realize, that skating is just a very nice and fulfilling hobby but can't pay the bills.
IG: @flowterspace

Brguy

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 01:13:01 PM »
I'm certain your experience doesn't condemn all skate school teachers, but that guy does seem like an asshole.

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
I took one skateboarding lesson from Anthony Shetler as a wee lad, it was pretty cool and he taught me how to turn on a quarterpipe if I remember correctly.
The only part of the whole thing I distinctly remember is that at one point after successfully doing whatever he was teaching me I got really hyped, ran up a pretty big qp and prepared to drop in. He got pretty freaked out and stopped me from dropping in, which was for the better because I had probably been skating for a month or less and definitely would've broken an arm.
I think it's highly dependent on the individual teacher but part of me feels like the whole skate teacher thing is kind of a scam, getting parents who know nothing about skating to spend absurd amounts of money, to have someone "teach" their kid something that you just learn naturally after doing it long enough.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
I think it's highly dependent on the individual teacher but part of me feels like the whole skate teacher thing is kind of a scam, getting parents who know nothing about skating to spend absurd amounts of money, to have someone "teach" their kid something that you just learn naturally after doing it long enough.

Yep, like anything in life. Take the good and the bad.
ok thanks

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »

If that skate "teacher" looks like he wouldn't get a job somewhere else and is "just living the dream" at ~ 35 years old, don't give him money. Saw too many of them.

At some point everyone should realize, that skating is just a very nice and fulfilling hobby but can't pay the bills.

wholeheartedly agree with this guy. skate "schools" can be great if they are centered around teaching kids on how to enjoy skateboarding more and learn more with it, while providing a guardian for children while their parents get a break. its should never be necessarily trying to help them skate better, but more giving them the tools they need to really get a grip on skateboarding so that they can learn by themselves.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

wholeheartedly agree with this guy. skate "schools" can be great if they are centered around teaching kids on how to enjoy skateboarding more and learn more with it, while providing a guardian for children while their parents get a break. its should never be necessarily trying to help them skate better, but more giving them the tools they need to really get a grip on skateboarding so that they can learn by themselves.

Yeah I mean, when I was a kid, I asked the older skaters to teach me how to drop-in or stuff. Thanks Philipp and Jascha. And if a kid asks me nowadays I would gladly help him/her to understand what to do with the board.
Isn't that the point of us older, experienced skaters?
IG: @flowterspace

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 02:15:28 PM »
That "Coach" is the asshole for charging $75 an hour

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »
There's a local skate school in my city that I've seen move around a few different parks, the teachers are definitely very talented, and are good with kids. My only complaint is that they need to teach the kids about sharing the park and being aware of other skaters. Don't hang in groups in high traffic areas, that's like parking in an intersection.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.