Author Topic: Out There: Alex Olson  (Read 12802 times)

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
Re: Out There: Alex Olson
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
Expand Quote
He lives the way I daydream about living if I had money and didn’t have to work a job.  Just investing in and fucking around with any hobby that catches my attention.  Happy for him, he’s earned it by being one of the sickest skaters of all time.
[close]

100%

100%
I'm extremely jealous

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
love love love to watch him skate.

But I feel like we're watching him unravel a little.

Just turning into a different version of his Dad haha

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »
I just came back from the carhartt store to try on those pants and I heard people in the store talking about this video

Not.Koston

• Rep: -16
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2021, 06:31:49 PM »
I don't think there's anyone more "out there" than the insufferable Alex olson. This new episode validates why half the 917 team left. I just feel bad for max palmer staying on the team for the sole reason of pity. Must be a real headache trying to make progress when your boss is mongolian throat singing rather than working on new graphics for dead tree bodies
Brian Herman nollie inward heel

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2021, 07:03:31 PM »
Still don't get how he hippie jumped like the side of a volleyball net or whatever.. Still sticks in my mind.

Hey DJ!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most importantly, what were the carhartt trousers he had on?
[close]

https://us.carhartt-wip.com/products/double-knee-pant-black-worn-canvas-127
[close]

Anyone paying $145 for 'fashion carhartts' has lost their goddamn mind.

Nobody who actually skates buys the WIP shits. The only people who you see wearing them skating are people that get them for free. Everyone is buying non-WIP B151s for $40, or thrifts them or whatever. Then your average non-skater male fashion redditor sees a skate clip with Carhartts, looks them up, and goes to the SOHO WIP store and pays the crazy $140 artisanal price.

my theory is that its kind of the same thing with Supreme. I don't know anyone that skates in supreme personally or that would be caught dead lining up for an hour next to a bunch of middle schoolers just to get in the store. Literally the only people I see skating Supreme gear are people in videos who get it for free, which creates the illusion that they're big in skating. they're not. real people with jobs are not trying to skate in outfits worth hundreds of dollars, its too much risk.

Expand Quote
You guys know that he's just milking it at this point, right?
[close]

he kind of was from the very beginning

in almost every interview the dude talks about how much he dislikes skating or just barely tolerates it. since fully flared he's probably had more years that he hates the thought of skating than years where he enjoyed it.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2021, 12:13:26 AM »
Call him modern Gino is a blasphemy. Some slapers are mad.
Gino helped to built a whole culture and I cant imagine 90s skatin without him, Penny or Kareem. But if AO never steped on a board, things would be the same nowadays.
 I really like see Alex skatin, but his style has nothing special.

They talk about how AO was one of the first to be skating all types of terrain in the early 2000’s. So you could very similarly argue he ushered in an expanded version of skateboarding. So things would not necessarily be the same.

conqueso

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2021, 04:08:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Gino helped to built a whole culture and I cant imagine 90s skatin without him, Penny or Kareem. But if AO never steped on a board, things would be the same nowadays.
[close]

They talk about how AO was one of the first to be skating all types of terrain in the early 2000’s. So you could very similarly argue he ushered in an expanded version of skateboarding. So things would not necessarily be the same.

so wrong. nobody even seen this dude really skate till like 07.
also gino and julien had organic come ups

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2021, 05:46:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Angel Ramires, Jake Ducombe, Dylan Rieder, Arto and Appleyard were pretty overal at the time and list goes on.

The only reason this guy still got these big sponsors being so unproductive : dude is white handsome guy.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2021, 07:33:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Angel Ramires, Jake Ducombe, Dylan Rieder, Arto and Appleyard were pretty overal at the time and list goes on.

The only reason this guy still got these big sponsors being so unproductive : dude is white handsome guy.

Maybe you didn’t see him until 2007 but he was on Black Label, Toy and Workshop flow before getting on Girl and then going pro in 2007.

Dylan yes but Arto and Appleyard were primarily street and maybe a flip to a fakie on a quarter pipe.

The reason AO is still sponsored is because he and his skateboarding have personality and the reason why Jake Duncombe and Angel Ramirez are not.

conqueso

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »
but you call him an influential  ATV from the early 00's.......? thats so far off if you were skating in this era

anyway his pops is every reason for his success and there's no shame in it. 917 team was dope. wish hm the best in the future.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:24:43 AM by conqueso »

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2021, 08:21:58 AM »
you called him an influential  ATV from the early 00's.......? thats so far off if you were skating in this era.

anyway his dad is every reason for his success and there's no shame in it. but call it what it is. 917 team was dope. wish hm the best in the future.

Not sure why you think his father is responsible for his success. He got Alex some free bits from NHS when he was young, but he wouldn't have been of any help getting him on Girl, Nike, or enabling Alex to start up Bianca or 917.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe you didn’t see him until 2007 but he was on Black Label, Toy and Workshop flow before getting on Girl and then going pro in 2007.

Dylan yes but Arto and Appleyard were primarily street and maybe a flip to a fakie on a quarter pipe.

The reason AO is still sponsored is because he and his skateboarding have personality and the reason why Jake Duncombe and Angel Ramirez are not.

Dude, who is comparing him with Ducombe or Ramirez? Are you mad? Im just saying they were overall at the same time.
I can tell you Appleyard and Arto skated in tranny better than Alex.

If yoga and surf is too cool lets put Nilton Urina and Chico Brenes in big sponsors.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Angel Ramirez and Jake Duncombe where both top tier ams/pros at some point. The reason they are not sponsored (at least at a high level) probably had more to do with the fact that they were huge piles.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »

Carhartt has been operating as a spectacularly successful streetwear brand in Europe for at least 20 years - I believe some Germans bought the rights to the branding......and have now exported Carhartt WiP back to the USA so our yankee friends can enjoy it too.  Not sure who owns what part of each business.....

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most importantly, what were the carhartt trousers he had on?
[close]

https://us.carhartt-wip.com/products/double-knee-pant-black-worn-canvas-127
[close]

Anyone paying $145 for 'fashion carhartts' has lost their goddamn mind.
[close]

Nobody who actually skates buys the WIP shits. The only people who you see wearing them skating are people that get them for free. Everyone is buying non-WIP B151s for $40, or thrifts them or whatever. Then your average non-skater male fashion redditor sees a skate clip with Carhartts, looks them up, and goes to the SOHO WIP store and pays the crazy $140 artisanal price.

my theory is that its kind of the same thing with Supreme. I don't know anyone that skates in supreme personally or that would be caught dead lining up for an hour next to a bunch of middle schoolers just to get in the store. Literally the only people I see skating Supreme gear are people in videos who get it for free, which creates the illusion that they're big in skating. they're not. real people with jobs are not trying to skate in outfits worth hundreds of dollars, its too much risk.

You might not see a nigga in a Supreme pink striped mohair cardigan trying to 5-0 a  handrail but I see skaters wearing their cheaper stuff (the hats and tshirts) all the time.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2021, 06:08:04 AM »
Video did a good job at promoting his music. Pretty that was the whole point. Another win for Alex

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2021, 07:13:28 AM »
When he started hyperventilating lol
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

sultsult

• Rep: -12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
Seems weird they filmed this mostly 3 years ago then a bit more 6 months ago.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2021, 11:03:32 PM »
I kinda dig him and what he’s doing. That said I doubt I’m the target market for either of his brands.
I think he’ll eventually settle down to 2 or 3 hobbies which will help him hone his focus, but I get it; I experimented with lots of shit back in my 20s too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2021, 01:57:12 AM »

He also has a fine taste in automobiles.

I feel like my life AO car-fandom just went full circle seeing that van:

I'm just hyped that thing someone posted about him driving around Brooklyn in a right handed Mitsubishi van is true.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 04:40:34 AM by Deekay »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2021, 03:12:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He lives the way I daydream about living if I had money and didn’t have to work a job.  Just investing in and fucking around with any hobby that catches my attention.  Happy for him, he’s earned it by being one of the sickest skaters of all time.
[close]

100%
[close]

100%
I'm extremely jealous

He’s the man no matter what.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
this is like, the 100th epicly laterd style thing from him, just put out a part lol

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote

He also has a fine taste in automobiles.
[close]

I feel like my life AO car-fandom just went full circle seeing that van:

Expand Quote
I'm just hyped that thing someone posted about him driving around Brooklyn in a right handed Mitsubishi van is true.
[close]

No way the name "Waylon Bone" ("whale on bone") is real.

BieberStance

• Rep: -16
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »
that was wack but i liked his track in the end. modest mousey vibes.
maybe he will get hc into drugs for a year or so next. could be interesting

prpl_

• Rep: 2
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
He was cooler ten years ago

http://youtu.be/LA4rp8ixbgk
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »
He was cooler ten years ago

http://youtu.be/LA4rp8ixbgk

SOO FUCKING SICK!

The slappy over the drain pipe thing is absolutely beautiful.

He just looks right on a skateboard