Author Topic: Out There: Alex Olson  (Read 12733 times)

Tabletop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -74
Re: Out There: Alex Olson
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2021, 12:59:03 AM »
Post-Girl AO footy is some of the best to exist. Gino and Gonz vibes, a bit. Tailgrab nosegrind was the trick of the 917 video. I feel like Cyrus and Max were fools to leave. How much do board sponsors pay, anyway? Good riddance. Sylvain should defect from Isle and get on. That'd almost be enough. Tiago on 917 would be pretty sick.

I agree he is a bit like a modern Gino.
Quality over quantity.

I really like Max and Cyrus but Im not sure they will end up anywhere special after 917.
Could hope that Max gets on Isle and Cyrus on Hockey.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2021, 01:49:11 AM »
Do those stupid party shirts come free when you buy a surfboard or what?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2021, 04:18:06 AM »
This definitely explains the issue with keeping 917 consistent. Gotta be challenging spinning all those plates as he put it. Love AO. Hope 917 can get it's legs back under baker boys
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2021, 04:32:09 AM »
He also has a fine taste in automobiles.

A nice pair of estates.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2021, 05:16:31 AM »
Alex if you're reading this can have your festool shit when you get bored of them next week

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2021, 05:28:11 AM »
Post-Girl AO footy is some of the best to exist. Gino and Gonz vibes, a bit. Tailgrab nosegrind was the trick of the 917 video. I feel like Cyrus and Max were fools to leave. How much do board sponsors pay, anyway? Good riddance. Sylvain should defect from Isle and get on. That'd almost be enough. Tiago on 917 would be pretty sick.

I like Alex fine but every single take in this post is absolutely insane.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »
Call him modern Gino is a blasphemy. Some slapers are mad.
Gino helped to built a whole culture and I cant imagine 90s skatin without him, Penny or Kareem. But if AO never steped on a board, things would be the same nowadays.
 I really like see Alex skatin, but his style has nothing special.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2021, 05:51:23 AM »
Call him modern Gino is a blasphemy. Some slapers are mad.
Gino helped to built a whole culture and I cant imagine 90s skatin without him, Penny or Kareem. But if AO never steped on a board, things would be the same nowadays.
 I really like see Alex skatin, but his style has nothing special.

I don't know about nothing special. He always struck me as an ersatz Julien Stranger. That may sound like a diss but it's actually quite an achievement.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2021, 05:57:53 AM »
stranger is way sicker

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2021, 06:59:29 AM »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
Super cool for the most part. That wellness shit is extremely lame tho. Seems like the type of motherfucker to tell you turmeric cures cancer.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2021, 07:47:28 AM »
I, too, have ADHD

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
Whenever he manages to focus on something his brain be like "no not never, and you should too"

Leyzee Emcea

• Rep: -8
  • Achilles Tendonion Rings Jr
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2021, 08:55:18 AM »
I, too, have ADHD
23 minutes to say so is as average as it gets if you ever need to explain "whats up with that?";D. fs feeble-ollie-fs360 with a nod from random guy walking up the same double set has been playing in my mind since 2015. Him not being afraid to be on his own or self reflect constantly might be why he's able to dable in this or that and his skating always delivered for what its worth. The odd library comment by B.A. was so on point too. If autopilot skating/thinking gets you a mansion and a few cars, he done did something right. I bet if he'd do some therapy to shape up his mind a little he'd be as hyped to skate as when he got on nike sb. finishing stuff too, for a change 

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2021, 09:50:08 AM »
That was really entertaining. I enjoy the Out There segments.  They should do one on Alex Olson.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
Alex if you're reading this can have your festool shit when you get bored of them next week

Hahah I forgot to comment on that. I’ll join that list. Those tools cost more than my car. Need me a nice domino.

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »
Most importantly, what were the carhartt trousers he had on?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2021, 11:35:42 AM »
I can relate to him in that I have so many hobbies, and can’t really focus on any for a long period of time. It can be kinda frustrating sometimes, and a lot of the time I over think it and end up not doing anything.

Even though it's not mentioned, but you can definitely see where Cyrus is coming from when he was talking about how the lack of communication and direction at 917 made him leave. The dude is so frustratingly scatterbrained that I can see why he would forget to order boards and show up for tours.

I still like AO and want to see him succeed.

I think the lesson here is that you have to know yourself. I'm the same way, my hobbies and tastes and interests change like every year (besides skating). but if there's a chance you're gonna be over something in a year or two, don't start a company and put a bunch of people on the team where they're going to be expecting you to pay them, communicate well, show up to premieres, or get stuff made on their behalf. if you're scatterbrained like this, you should not be running a creative enterprise where other people depend on you. IMO.

I also love AO and want him to stick around. Bianca is perfect because people aren't depending on him and he can drop stuff whenever he wants, or just stop at any time if he gets into surfing or whatever. But neglecting something so great as 917 is a massive bummer.

So good!!

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2021, 11:56:10 AM »

The black ones he was wearing at that NYC bike lane spot? I believe they are Carhartt Double Knee Pant.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ahPs3oX5I

will 917 turn into a surf and wellness company now?

i'm 15 seconds in and hes surfing county line, kookiest spot in LA and that's saying something

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm 15 seconds in and hes surfing county line, kookiest spot in LA and that's saying something

if you watch the video they literally talk about how shitty it is...

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The black ones he was wearing at that NYC bike lane spot? I believe they are Carhartt Double Knee Pant.

Brilliant, thank you!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
regardless of 917 though the dude is such a great skateboarder obviously

https://gfycat.com/achinglimpgrayfox

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2021, 02:17:30 PM »
Expand Quote
I can relate to him in that I have so many hobbies, and can’t really focus on any for a long period of time. It can be kinda frustrating sometimes, and a lot of the time I over think it and end up not doing anything.
[close]

Expand Quote
Even though it's not mentioned, but you can definitely see where Cyrus is coming from when he was talking about how the lack of communication and direction at 917 made him leave. The dude is so frustratingly scatterbrained that I can see why he would forget to order boards and show up for tours.

I still like AO and want to see him succeed.
[close]

I think the lesson here is that you have to know yourself. I'm the same way, my hobbies and tastes and interests change like every year (besides skating). but if there's a chance you're gonna be over something in a year or two, don't start a company and put a bunch of people on the team where they're going to be expecting you to pay them, communicate well, show up to premieres, or get stuff made on their behalf. if you're scatterbrained like this, you should not be running a creative enterprise where other people depend on you. IMO.

I also love AO and want him to stick around. Bianca is perfect because people aren't depending on him and he can drop stuff whenever he wants, or just stop at any time if he gets into surfing or whatever. But neglecting something so great as 917 is a massive bummer.

Or hire people that you know you can rely on to pick up the day-to-day stuff that you know you’re going to drop the ball on.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2021, 04:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

who cares if county is kooky. Spot can get fun as fuck IMO. I actually had a chance to talk about surfing and he definitely knows what’s up.

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »
This could be an ad for ADHD medication

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »

if there's a chance you're gonna be over something in a year or two, don't start a company and put a bunch of people on the team where they're going to be expecting you to pay them, communicate well, show up to premieres, or get stuff made on their behalf. if you're scatterbrained like this, you should not be running a creative enterprise where other people depend on you. IMO.

I think we got an alright trade-off. If Alex was fully focused on 917 it would be a very different company. He talks about how Logan took it upon himself to make the entire video and didn't even show Alex until the day of the premiere, and Alex hated it when he saw it. But he trusted Logan and we got one (and then two) of the best videos of this era.

Who knows what the company would even be like if Alex was focused on it. When they came to Australia Logan was completely running the show, it just seemed like his company. I think Logan's new brand will be more 917 than 917 was.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2021, 06:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote

if there's a chance you're gonna be over something in a year or two, don't start a company and put a bunch of people on the team where they're going to be expecting you to pay them, communicate well, show up to premieres, or get stuff made on their behalf. if you're scatterbrained like this, you should not be running a creative enterprise where other people depend on you. IMO.
[close]

I think we got an alright trade-off. If Alex was fully focused on 917 it would be a very different company. He talks about how Logan took it upon himself to make the entire video and didn't even show Alex until the day of the premiere, and Alex hated it when he saw it. But he trusted Logan and we got one (and then two) of the best videos of this era.

Who knows what the company would even be like if Alex was focused on it. When they came to Australia Logan was completely running the show, it just seemed like his company. I think Logan's new brand will be more 917 than 917 was.
When did Logan leave? Are Cyrus and Max riding for Logan's company?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
Really love these out there vids. This was was sick, I feel AO with the hobbies, I’m similar in that I get into stuff then something else a few weeks later and just have a bunch of ideas and things I never get around to doing or finishing