Author Topic: Back yard miniramp build - cutting costs  (Read 888 times)

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Back yard miniramp build - cutting costs
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
So I'm way busier with work and family these days than I used to be and it's getting harder and harder to find time to skate. I suppose it's finally time for me to build a ramp in the yard so I can get little morning and evening sessions in on the days when making it out to the park just isn't going to happen.  Ideally, I was thinking about a 3' ramp, 6' radius on the transitions, 16' wide, 8' of flat, DIY pool coping on one side and steel on the other.

I live in the desert where it rarely rains, so standard, non-pressure treated lumber lasts pretty well outside.  That saves a bit of money, but even then the cost for what I was looking at would be approximately $2500.  That's a fair bit more than I want to spend, since I will probably be redoing my back yard within the next couple of years to include a concrete bowl, ledge, maybe a flatbar, and some moveable slappy curbs.   (To improve resale value, obviously.)

I've kept an eye out for secondhand lumber, but nothing seems to be coming up and I'm getting pretty impatient to get this started.  I've also considered dropping the width to 12' to save on some costs, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Are there any other ways you folks could think of that might save costs, either in materials or design, without making the ramp shitty?  Shalom in advance, pals.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Back yard miniramp build - cutting costs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Buy a Keen. The extra money is worth the headaches and hassles. Trust me on this. Ive had two mini ramps in the last year.
ok thanks

trash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
Obviously this will depend on your area but old ramps come up for free/cheap on Craigslist or FB pretty frequently. I'm on the east coast and took my time, but over the span of 2-3 months I saw three minis in a variety of sizes pop up. Typically the caveat is that you need to disassemble and haul it yourself.

With how much lumber currently costs, that's the way to do it. Even if you're just taking it for partial use (e.g. find a 3x8 and extend it to 12'). Have saved searches with various keywords (ramp, mini ramp, skate ramp, etc.) so you're the first one to reach out; a lot of times its empty nest parents listing it so terminology differs.

I found a free Keen 3x8 that had some water damage. I rebuilt one of the transition walls and replaced a few rotted boards, all together with the trailer rental it was < $500.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
I’m kinda in the same boat and I think I’m gonna just end up shelling out for a Keen or OC ramp. The hassle of gathering materials and making the cuts honestly doesn’t seem worth it especially since I’m not a skilled builder and might end up with a shitty ramp if I tried to cut costs. Do building supply stores even sell 16 ft coping? I feel like I never see anything over 8-10 ft

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:30:53 PM »
I’m kinda in the same boat and I think I’m gonna just end up shelling out for a Keen or OC ramp. The hassle of gathering materials and making the cuts honestly doesn’t seem worth it especially since I’m not a skilled builder and might end up with a shitty ramp if I tried to cut costs. Do building supply stores even sell 16 ft coping? I feel like I never see anything over 8-10 ft

I'm reasonably confident in my building skills, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me, plus I like the challenge of doing new things.  I really want to get this project going, but the cost is a little discouraging.  If I were younger and didn't feel the pressing need to behave responsibly I'd be marauding jobsites for lumber in the dead of night, but those days are long gone.  My big problem is that I don't want or need something that's going to last forever, just something to hold me over until I'm able get some concrete stuff made in the space where this is going to end up going.  I guess if I bought a kit I could just try to sell it once I got to that point.

Just about any city or town will have at least one steel yard with whatever steel tubing you could possibly imagine that they'll cut to length for you. Not that it helps much if you're not ready to build a ramp from scratch.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 08:13:01 PM »
Steal some wood.

I think your estimate looks a tad high if you were going to do 1 layer of 3/8 then Masonite but then again I’m flabbergasted by how expensive wood has gotten.

If you’re serious about doing concrete you should just start doing concrete. Lay out some rubble and rebar/fencing, build forms then hand stack. If you buy Portland, sand, gravel (and lime? I forget if you need it) it ends up costing less than quickcrete. Or if you have friends you can get a truck to pour.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
As stated above if your going to build a bowl it’d be more cost effective to just start building the bowl. If you just want something cheap to screw around on while building it, just make one or two 3’ x 8’ quarters and skate them like a mini or push them together for something wider. Way less $.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »
These photos show a build where they have used pallets for most of it

Good option if you can come up on some?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kCemr
listen to cosmic psychos

dofrenzy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:28:49 AM »
I wish I had $aving advice but I don’t.  I am finishing a backyard mini now (8’ wide, 7’ radius) and I only found ways to spend more money.

I am in Massachusetts so am using some pressure treated.  Easily into it for about $3000 now ($1400 of that was 8 panels of Gator Skins, shipped across the country).

Just thought I’d jump in here since I am just finishing the build now. 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 06:17:43 AM »

That's...interesting.

There's no way that thing is still standing with chipboard templates.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
I find all the dudes I know who build a ramp....don't regret it but kinda stop using it.  If you have a pad, I'd build a quarter and a curb?  Or just start building concrete.....a concrete qp is super fun. 

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »
I find all the dudes I know who build a ramp....don't regret it but kinda stop using it.  If you have a pad, I'd build a quarter and a curb?  Or just start building concrete.....a concrete qp is super fun.

I think you and some other folks in this thread may be on to something and I've had some ideas.  My whole yard is dirt and gravel right now, so it's kind of a blank canvas.  We've been planning to pour a large pad for the patio for a really long time, but now have the means to do it, so building stuff on that (wide concrete quarters at either end, planter box/ledge, etc) seems pretty easy once the pad is in.  Maybe it's a better idea to start there. 

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
Take into account your concrete building skills before hand. You could do that size mini ramp with just a few guys if at least 1 person knows how to work concrete. With the crazy price of lumber right now, Id scratch the idea of a wooden ramp. With concrete, its pretty much done with very little maintenance. Outside wooden ramps are just never finished, constant up keep, screws, relayering and so much extra work. You should get a 10'x 10' pad of concrete for about $300 plus rebar and forms. To build a wood deck of that size would be at least double or triple that, think studs, plywood, skatelite and screws.

Good luck and keep everyone posted on progress.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's...interesting.

Haha yeah I wondered about that too, yeah even if you used moisture resistant stuff and painted it still wouldn’t last too well
Still, if you could come up on the pallets you could just spend the money on ply?
listen to cosmic psychos

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
Buy a Keen. The extra money is worth the headaches and hassles. Trust me on this. Ive had two mini ramps in the last year.

Sounds like you just might not be very good at building ramps.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 05:11:07 PM »

Lol particle board transitions outside is gonna cost em in the not so long run

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 10:56:46 AM »
I’m planning to build a ramp this summer, similar dimensions but I’m planning on it being 24’ wide. As mentioned by others if a concrete ramp is what you want just hold out and do that. Because if you want a decent ramp with those dimensions there isn’t a great way to cut the costs, you’ll just end up with something like the ramp the dude above posted, which seems like it would be no fun to skate.

I calculated my ramp and it will likely be $4-$5k, one side Pool coping likely sheet metal surfacing. This includes lighting and tile details as well
Tho.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like you just might not be very good at building ramps.

Or I have done well enough in life to learn from my experiences, value my time, and pay people to do things who are better at said things than I am.
ok thanks

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 01:05:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That's...interesting.

[close]

Haha yeah I wondered about that too, yeah even if you used moisture resistant stuff and painted it still wouldn’t last too well
Still, if you could come up on the pallets you could just spend the money on ply?

Those pallet pieces are going to have very little strength width wise like that - that’s why you never see anyone build a ramp like that. It probably would have been better to put them edgewise but it would be hard to hit with the screws and you might split the wood.

It might be fun to build a small quarter like that to see if it works for little to no money but building a mini that way seems crazy.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
Hey I’m not saying I would do it exactly that way myself but still, cheapest option if you can come up on the pallets
For sure you will pay more for extra ply bracing
I hate being wrong so there’s that lmao but I reckon it would hold for sure with the extra bracing?
But that particular build they said they used 9mm ply x 2, you’d think that would be alright yeah?
But I mean, I am defz not a carpenter or a builder

listen to cosmic psychos