Author Topic: Stereo Mic for shooting skateboarding  (Read 1082 times)

Burton Ernie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Stereo Mic for shooting skateboarding
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:45:49 AM »
Obviously there is plenty of debate over microphones for shooting skating, but the debate is usually just "which microphone sounds most like a VX1000?"

Curious about anyone's experience with any aftermarket stereo mics, xy-configuration or otherwise? From what I can tell, the VX1000 has a stereo mic, and the Wooden Camera VX Mic has mimicked that, but I couldn't find any details or images on the actual placement of the capsules for either the OG VX Mic or the WC VX Mic.

Wonder if something like the Rode StereoMic or the Sony ECM-XYST1M would provide a similar sound. The Rode is $300, but the Sony is only $150.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
Re: Stereo Mic for shooting skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:00:34 AM »
I've fiddled with making 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track with panning and keyframes. IMO it's mainly EQ that'll help replicate the VX sound, hell I've gotten pretty close with my HPX just with a few tweaks

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
just save up for the vx mic it'll be worth it. buy nice or buy twice.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
just save up for the vx mic it'll be worth it. buy nice or buy twice.

Maybe it's great, but I'd like to see more details or specs on that product. I'm no audio engineer but compared to the specs page for other manufacturers products, it's pretty lacking. The "10 Mic Shootout" comparison files are nice to see.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
specs pertaining to what? it has a long lasting internal battery that charges over usb-c and it sounds like a vx. any other mic that has a high pass filter or gain isn't going to matter if it sounds like shit.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

suckmadeck

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:53:55 AM »
specs pertaining to what? it has a long lasting internal battery that charges over usb-c and it sounds like a vx. any other mic that has a high pass filter or gain isn't going to matter if it sounds like shit.

The VXMic used correctly is close, it doesn't however come close to an actual VX mic. I did some digging in the companies promo videos and realized they stole a bunch of dimensions and possibly other stuff from other mics like the Rode Video Mic, it's also interesting that Wooden Camera is owned by Vitec, who also own Joby, who also sell Rode Video Mic knock-offs. Make of that as you please.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »

uhh, specs pertaining to the product itself, the mic arrangement, etc. It's not like I'm asking for much here.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The VXMic used correctly is close, it doesn't however come close to an actual VX mic. I did some digging in the companies promo videos and realized they stole a bunch of dimensions and possibly other stuff from other mics like the Rode Video Mic, it's also interesting that Wooden Camera is owned by Vitec, who also own Joby, who also sell Rode Video Mic knock-offs. Make of that as you please.

Says it has 4 capsules though, but nothing of the arrangement other than it mimics a VX. I couldn't find any info on the actual VX1000 Mic array either.

Since it's supposedly a stereo mic, I'm wondering if a Rode StereoMic is just as good or better.  I guess I could just buy both and try them out, but that's a lot of buying and returning of stuff.

suckmadeck

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 12:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Says it has 4 capsules though, but nothing of the arrangement other than it mimics a VX. I couldn't find any info on the actual VX1000 Mic array either.

Since it's supposedly a stereo mic, I'm wondering if a Rode StereoMic is just as good or better.  I guess I could just buy both and try them out, but that's a lot of buying and returning of stuff.

From what I've seen you'll have a better time with the VXMic especially if all you're doing is filming skating, if you're doing things outside of skating as well, might make more sense to just get the Stereo Mic from Rode instead of buying 2

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
I've got a vxmic and used vxs for years.
suckmadeck is right when he says it can come close to the original vx's sound.
for that, you'll need to use it manually and find at which level for zoom and longlens you need to use it depending of the camera. never use it on auto like you would on a vx.

the processing of the sound inside the camera plays part of the sound output you get. and modern camera dont have the same internal processing as the old vx. hence even with the exact same mic plugged to a modern camera, you wouldn't get the exact same sound.

suckmadeck

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 12:54:54 PM »
I've got a vxmic and used vxs for years.
suckmadeck is right when he says it can come close to the original vx's sound.
for that, you'll need to use it manually and find at which level for zoom and longlens you need to use it depending of the camera. never use it on auto like you would on a vx.

the processing of the sound inside the camera plays part of the sound output you get. and modern camera dont have the same internal processing as the old vx. hence even with the exact same mic plugged to a modern camera, you wouldn't get the exact same sound.

Spot on regarding internal processing. I've seen people use the VXMic on a HPX and it just sounds like a Rode mic attached to the HPX, so you're gonna need to do some experimenting to make sure you get the sweet spot.

ferbmx

• Rep: -2
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 07:59:44 PM »

suckmadeck

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 04:48:03 AM »
I saw this video about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUpNRbdezQ&t=292s

I've seen that, he did an alright job but I really think somewhere on the Slap forums will be someone with enough audio experience to release a plugin filter for different cameras to get somewhat close to VX