Author Topic: Mark Suciu SOTY trip  (Read 6565 times)

Pearl Motherfuckin Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Mark Suciu SOTY trip
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2022, 07:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
As expected, the best clips were not suciu. Silas and Dennis footage is always good.
[close]

As expected? Ok then.

Anyway, I thought it was absolutely great. They were all great in their own, but similar, way.

Silas killed it! Suciu skating that statue, Tom in the ditch, Joey and the gap were all pretty insane.

I saw the lineup beforehand... Suciu is great, but as expected I enjoyed a lot of the other skaters more.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2022, 08:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Gnar. Is Joey G. the dude I kept thinking was Janoski?
[close]

Id say more of an overweight Kenny Anderson
definitely, KA-on-growth-hormones vibes.  I'll take it now that I can't support KA

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -73
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2022, 08:05:45 AM »
Joey Guevara footage is always a treat. Figured Suciu would pick a grandiose, retired Nathan Drake-esque location for the SOTY trip

thebacker

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2022, 08:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
knew someone would cry about the broken bottle fuckin nerds
[close]

respect the spot you fuckin kook

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2022, 09:38:50 AM »
There was obviously some amazing skaters on this trip, but i found this very difficult to watch. The "good times" felt forced and the group seemed out of sync. Just seems like Suciu has been so polarizing that he doesn't actually have anyone that close to him and you end up with a social dynamic of a 10 year olds birthday party

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2022, 09:45:13 AM »
really liked Joey Guevara. First time I see him skate. Good laid back style

Been ripping for a minute. Better late than never.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2022, 12:15:58 PM »
There was obviously some amazing skaters on this trip, but i found this very difficult to watch. The "good times" felt forced and the group seemed out of sync. Just seems like Suciu has been so polarizing that he doesn't actually have anyone that close to him and you end up with a social dynamic of a 10 year olds birthday party

Devils advocate, it’s a group of relatively mature individuals who don’t need validation through their wild antics to prove they’re having a good time. These guys are all pretty well past the age where a gnarly hangover won’t affect the sessions the next day. I guess they shoulda brought Who Kid on the trip to gas up the camera though (Fuck, is Joey O’Brien The Who Kid of this trip?).

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2022, 12:21:09 PM »
justin albert / pooberts filming and editing is so good (ie 7:29, 12:30). you can see the mindfield influence

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Devils advocate, it’s a group of relatively mature individuals who don’t need validation through their wild antics to prove they’re having a good time. These guys are all pretty well past the age where a gnarly hangover won’t affect the sessions the next day. I guess they shoulda brought Who Kid on the trip to gas up the camera though (Fuck, is Joey O’Brien The Who Kid of this trip?).
Oh shit you're right he was kind of in Who Kid mode. Took more than few pretty heavy slams too. Trip MVP though I thought Silas was skating really good too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
That tailslide wasnt even slow-mo worthy

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2022, 02:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
This made me appreciate the cover photo. I still think it's a bad photo, but the idea to go to an untouched spot in Sardinia and do an Orange County level trick there is impressive.
Thrasher should make a new series called Under the Covers where they make a little film about the story behind the trick on the cover.
[close]

it made me appreciate the cover trick more, but made me hate the cover photo even more than i already did because that looks like an insanely photogenic spot and whoever took the cover completely butchered it.

agree with both of you.
Didnt really hate the photo - we where just blessed in the last years with really good covers.
The tail slide picture was ok. But on film the trick and the set up of the spot really look great - much better then on the cover. You can't blame Suciu for the trick or the spot selection- the photo coud be better.

Spots in Sardinia are looking dope - want some pins - to check out distance from perfect ledge / bank spot to picture perfect beach.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2022, 03:10:34 PM »
Joey Guevara needs more shine. These thrasher edits are getting worse and worse
What’s a more likely scenario?

Thrasher invited and paid for this dude to go on the trip and then when it came to editing decided “jokes on you, nerd! We aren’t putting you in the video.”

Or he rolled his ankle or something early in the trip and didn’t end up getting much?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2022, 03:13:51 PM »
busenitz, knox, obrien, silas, and guevara all in one video.  this should be a line up for a full length. 
hardly art, hardly starving

matta

• Rep: 26
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »
Jesus yall, watch the vid again, Silas broke a rock or a piece of tile or somethin, take a look at the next clip. Obvs a joke.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2022, 06:20:59 PM »
The line Suciu does at the end with the long nosegrind was entirely dope.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2022, 07:10:57 PM »
Two words: Tom Knox his style is simply a masterpiece.

Is Suciu in slap... I said in some topic: dude needs to lose his pants and improve his style..big pants Suciu hahaha

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2022, 07:15:42 PM »

Is Suciu in slap... I said in some topic: dude needs to lose his pants and improve his style..big pants Suciu hahaha
I don't understand Slap's infatuation with big pants. Y'all know that's just a trend, right?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2022, 09:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't understand Slap's infatuation with big pants. Y'all know that's just a trend, right?

So is hating on Suciu.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2022, 10:09:11 PM »
Jesus yall, watch the vid again, Silas broke a rock or a piece of tile or somethin, take a look at the next clip. Obvs a joke.

Legend
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2022, 11:18:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This but even more so when talking about how a proper adult (often already successful perhaps even with wife and kids) should change up their pants to what the teenagers like.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »
has the feeling of the early Adidas skate travel vids mixed with a lil looser/contemporary editing a la Atlantic Drift

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt0edw

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1041tm

hardly art, hardly starving

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2022, 08:01:47 AM »
Really liked the credits angle on Mark’s tail slide and wish they used that angle for the cover

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Joey Obrians front shuv. The pop and scoop was so fast!

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
Would have been sick to see Jon Nguyen's style on this trip. SJ and Isle connect.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
Really liked the credits angle on Mark’s tail slide and wish they used that angle for the cover

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Joey Obrians front shuv. The pop and scoop was so fast!

Came to post this. Trick of the video

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 145
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »

That shit blew my mind. Great video overall.

dazedazedaze

• Rep: 7
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2022, 07:24:50 PM »
loved this

dazedazedaze

• Rep: 7
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2022, 07:29:21 PM »
its crazy joey obrien can basically do the knox/suciu stuff with a bunch of hops/athleticism thrown in. deserves to become huge. also, cool of them to put that (local?) kid's front blunt in the credits

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2022, 08:33:00 PM »
Whoever is picking the music for Thrasher's videos has a heavy 80s Goth influence. First it was X Mal Deutschland 'Incubus Succubus II' in that Euro edit and now Death In June 'The Calling Mk II' in this vid. It's worth noting that these are the best possible versions of these songs that can be found anywhere. Somebody has been doing their homework
It’s Spotify core—bands that are pushed by the Spotify algorithm to come up more often if you’re looking into that sort of genre. But agreed two great tracks that I was hyped to hear

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
did anyone read the print article about this in thrasher? it was pretty interesting. mark complained that they brought him to a ditch at one point, which i find pretty funny.

and apparently they passed a ton of time playing games. word games. card games. skate games. made up games involving lacrosse balls. suciu apparently loves things to be structured and competitive. struck me as very wholesome. not very hellride, that's for sure. but probably a good fit for a bunch of guys that are more mature than the average soty crew, have kids at home, etc.