Author Topic: Achilles tendonitis  (Read 849 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Achilles tendonitis
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do to recover? I've been doing some hot/cold footbaths, stretches, massage and exercises. Anything else that's good for this? Thanks for any info.

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Achilles tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »
I thankfully don't know, but these guys are pretty good video wise. Have helped me through some other issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqAlt1k_-gs

It sounds like you're on the right plan though. The hardest part about a lot of injuries is there's a lot of different options, stretches, treatments, etc. and everyone responds differently to a combination of all of them. I would say just try and stay positive, and consistent with whatever combination seems to be helping the most. Explore all options available.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 11:05:41 AM »
Did you hurt your ankle or did this develop over time or come out of nowhere?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
Did you hurt your ankle or did this develop over time or come out of nowhere?

It kinda came out of nowhere. I think I bailed too many times one day skating a Euro gap type thing at the park. It got sore after that and I kept skating like normal in the following days, which seems to have made it worse, so I'm taking it easy now and just dinking around on transition and mostly avoiding ollies. I think it's possible I tore the tendon a bit.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 02:17:25 PM »
OG achilles tendonitis sufferer here.

Or so i thought.
Back in 2000 i was skating this quarter with very short run up and as i was pushing during one of my attempts, my left foot achilles tendon started killing (i am goofy). I kept on skating for the day but the pain remained for at least a few months. I was 20 at the time and did not give it much thought, just saw it as an opportunity to force my self to skate switch. After the pain went away, i was fine for a year or so and then the pain came back for no particular reason. It has been like this ever since, pain appearing all of a sudden and lasting for anything between 2 to 6 months. It is so bad that sometimes i can't push at all and have to run and jump on my board. Around 3 years ago i decided to go the medical route and had an MRI on both feet. The doctor said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my tendons and that they look well trained, something that would suit the physique of someone who skates regularly. Coincidentally, the pain went away after a couple of days but keeps coming back once in a while.

I have a few mildly herniated disks (2 on my back and one on my neck) as well as some mildly dislocated disks on my neck and the doctor said that it might be my spinal injuries that are causing the achilles pain. I have not had it checked ever since but it is an issue that i always fear of reappearing as it totally fucks up my push and regular pop.

Tendonitis it self is a nasty thing that takes a looong time to heal so good luck man! Hopefully your case is only something temporary that will go away soon. I found that mildly massaging the seemingly inflamed area helps alleviate the pain but it does not make it go away. Again, heal up!
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 02:48:48 PM »
Check on how worn out your current skate shoes are, or if you're used to shoe models that offer no impact support (it doesn't matter the brand). I used to skate a lot of thin, flimsy Vans and Adidas back in the mid 2010's with little to zero cushioning and gradually developed bursitis in both feet I believe due to that (sometimes it's not the tendon itself that's affected but the region that surrounds it); for me it manifested as lingering pain, like a localized, hardcore version of post-session soreness that would flare up and start stinging for a couple of days after every session just lifting my ankle while trying to walk, before slowly going back to timid but persistent again. At one point I remember experimenting with skating in Sk8 Hi's for a minute to see if that would fix my issue but no, in fact those gave me actual tendinitis and worsened my condition in the end.

For the most part my problem gradually disappeared over the course of a few weeks after having had it for over a year, perhaps twice that. Could be due to no longer skating shit shoes for a while, or to monitoring their expiry date a bit more closely, or to adapting my skating style (as far as I'm concerned, that time period matches with an era where I moved and so completely changed the surfaces and textures I was used to pushing on, and also where I tightened my trucks back up a tiny bit, reducing the flexes on my tendons). Tendinitis/bursitis may mean you overtrained once or they may also mean something is abusing your foot long term, so while appeasing it is of course important you should also try and think of possible little factors that may be fueling your condition without you realizing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:48:55 PM by silhouette »

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. That's a good link, sometimeperhaps. It has some helpful tips.

Esquivel, that sounds like it's been an ordeal. My tendonitis is on my non-pushing foot so regular pushing is okay but switch pushing hurts. So is yours maybe nerve pain having to do with your other issues? That's strange it feels like tendonitis but your doc said it's not.

I was actually looking into getting some more supportive shoes, silhouette, so your post just reinforces that. I never thought to consider the looseness of my trucks possibly affecting it but that makes sense. Small things add up over time.

I have a question for those who have had this. Did you keep skating while you had it, or did you take a rest from skating for a while? If you kept skating, did you change what you were doing, like skate less intensely or different stuff than usual?

foureyedjim

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 10:40:25 PM »
You just have to rest and build things back up to where you want them to be. 
I don't know what state your achilles tendon is at right now, but if you had the problem for a while, chances are you're looking at degenerative changes to the tendon with or without the inflammatory factor of tendonitis. 

All the passive stuff like stretching, icing, heating, changing shoe set ups is fine if you feel better with it, but you'll probably want to start a strengthening program.  Can't give you any specifics without an actual assessment, but generally I would:
1) start with easy, low resistance ankle and foot exercises.  Mix in some balance exercises, progress as tolerable.
2) add body weight into it
3) load progressively with single leg biased / weighted exercises
4) generalized lower body strengthening (you can probably start these at the same time as #2 tbh)
5) plyometric training

edit: all that stuff is important because you want your tendon to start adapting to any activity you'll be throwing at it.  Nothing will truly make it perform the way you want it to in the long run except loading it.  Progressively loading it will limit irritation (push back from your body when you do things it's not used to).

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
You just have to rest and build things back up to where you want them to be.   

This. Be patient and take a rest, even if it takes some weeks. The exercises in the video that sometimeperhaps posted are good and can be done everywhere. Do them regularly. And most definitely consider different shoes or insoles. Also maybe think of trying ice packs or poultices in addition.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 03:14:37 AM »
I was actually looking into getting some more supportive shoes, silhouette, so your post just reinforces that. I never thought to consider the looseness of my trucks possibly affecting it but that makes sense. Small things add up over time.

Honestly the possibility of truck looseness being a factor also came to me for the first time as I was typing that other post, but in retrospect it makes perfect sense in my situation because my set-ups at the time were insane, I was in the middle of a 6-year time frame skating with no bushings on either truck and so my ankles and tendons were constantly doing work for stabilization. My friends would occasionally crack jokes on how that probably affected my proprioception and muscle/tissue strength and it's true that I stopped rolling my ankles altogether during that time period, and I would find myself walking away from stupid bails that would have destroyed me otherwise, but if the abuse was indeed reinforcing my feet a certain way then it probably also had some downright negative impact on the more frequently solicited, fragile areas too which is an idea that went over my head at the time. You compress your tendons a lot by just carving on loose trucks, they essentially take your entire body weight over and over when they're such small springs, so I could see wearing them out by carving non stop (or repeating any similarly abusive movement) on an unstable skateboard over and over with little to no rest in between each day. It's indeed a small thing, but to find the root of this kind of chronic pain you have to consider every small thing until you find the exact combination of what you're really doing wrong.

I also used to ice that shit for temporary relief, by the way. Works in the moment and perhaps helps long term if you do it a lot but it's more of a painkiller in comparison to proper rest, you need a combination of the two with an emphasis on rest/sleep and also maybe cut junk/industrial food for a bit (which I don't think should be exceptional, ideally, but we know). And obviously, keep yourself hydrated, most people don't drink as much water as their bodies really need to be in optimal shape and so that's always a crucial consideration to keep in mind.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 06:12:45 AM »
Man, everybody else already said what I was thinking lol. I had weird Achilles inflammation that came out of nowhere. I think my shoe was pressing in on it, I changed insoles and slightly tightened my trucks for a while and that helped a lot.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »
I think I have insertional Achilles tendonitis and with this type you're supposed to avoid eccentric exercises because they aggravate the tendon. https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/the-best-exercise-for-insertional-achilles-tendon-pain/

I also picked up the Aves and put some Gamechangers in them. They feel nice on my feet. Gonna tighten my trucks a bit too. Thanks for the tips everyone.

foureyedjim

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 08:02:02 PM »
I think I have insertional Achilles tendonitis and with this type you're supposed to avoid eccentric exercises because they aggravate the tendon. https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/the-best-exercise-for-insertional-achilles-tendon-pain/

Honestly, with any tendinopathy, eccentric loading deep into range of motion will likely hurt. I agree with the video in that you can start with simple isometric holds. 
But your body is going to be loaded eccentrically at rapid speeds with skating so you'll want to add controlled eccentric exercise at some point when the benefits of isometric loading plateaus.   

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 08:16:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly, with any tendinopathy, eccentric loading deep into range of motion will likely hurt. I agree with the video in that you can start with simple isometric holds. 
But your body is going to be loaded eccentrically at rapid speeds with skating so you'll want to add controlled eccentric exercise at some point when the benefits of isometric loading plateaus.

Good to know. I will ease into eccentric exercises. Thanks!

foureyedjim

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good to know. I will ease into eccentric exercises. Thanks!

Good luck!

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 03:23:20 AM »
tendonosis is never properly considered
its not even in spellcheck
the correct healing modality is diet

gluten can cause it
super hard to know
if it does or dont affect you