Author Topic: MiniDV Capture Devices  (Read 1239 times)

Rawse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
MiniDV Capture Devices
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has a comprehensive list of reliable Capture Deck model numbers. I have used a JVC Camcorder for a few years, until it started destroying tapes. I have since just been capturing full tapes off of my VX, but this is obviously not a long term solution. I'm old, have SOME money, and am working on a full length....ie I don't want to waste time/money on another shitty capture cam to save a few bucks. It's a labor of love to continue to film VX in the first place. Here's what I have found so far: If you have experience/opinion with any of these devices, please let me know. Thanks! (FYI, trying to keep this around/under $500CAD)

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony GV-D1000 (obviously preferred, but eBay prices are high)
- Sony DSR-20

;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: MiniDV Capture Devices
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
Man if you are spending that much money might as well get one of these.. I have one of these and it has lasted me about 5-6 years now. Its solid.

But also,

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
What’s the benefit to these vs a cap cam? Likely least amount of quality loss I imagine? I used some $50 cannon camera I got off eBay and logged well over a hundred tapes without issue and footage looked great.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:24:13 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has a comprehensive list of reliable Capture Deck model numbers. I have used a JVC Camcorder for a few years, until it started destroying tapes. I have since just been capturing full tapes off of my VX, but this is obviously not a long term solution. I'm old, have SOME money, and am working on a full length....ie I don't want to waste time/money on another shitty capture cam to save a few bucks. It's a labor of love to continue to film VX in the first place. Here's what I have found so far: If you have experience/opinion with any of these devices, please let me know. Thanks! (FYI, trying to keep this around/under $500CAD)

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D

Is there some feature that makes GV-D1000 preferrable to the other players?

Another viable option could be the GV-HD700. Found one on Ebay in 2018 for roughly 400 euros.

What’s the benefit to these vs a cap cam? Likely least amount of quality loss I imagine? I used some $50 cannon camera I got off eBay and logged well over a hundred tapes without issue and footage looked great.
There shouldn't be any loss of quality if the firewire works properly.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »
Man if you are spending that much money might as well get one of these.. I have one of these and it has lasted me about 5-6 years now. Its solid.

But also,

this shit looks so sexy. gotta cop one

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:50:05 AM »
I copped one and it was broken. I’m cool using an actual camera.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Rawse

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:37:04 AM »

Firewire/DV out is pretty much the same on all devices, it's not really a quality thing. For me, it's reliability. My capture cam was just a piece of shit camera, and in the end, it was eating every tape I put in. I also wouldn't pay someone to fix a JVC that I bought for $40, right...

Ok, I think I get it. It hurts me to spend this much on a GV-D1000, my old man had a bunch of these when I was a kid, even the Hi8 model which are so sick. The DSR-20 is what really sparked the post for me. I don't care too much about portability, and I wanted to see if there were other reliable "VCR" models out there. Thanks guys.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
@Rawse

Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

Another viable option could be the GV-HD700. Found one on Ebay in 2018 for roughly 400 euros.

Rawse

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]

GV-HD700 looks good for sure. Thanks man. Roughly $2000CAD on Ebay right now, but I always hunt for this type of thing locally first. Even the GV-D models are overpriced online imo.

I would assume that GV-D1000 was the industry standard for prosumer MiniDV at the time. (late 90s) My father worked for a hockey team, and this is what they used. As far as our purpose, I'm sure that any of these portable models, or even a reliable capture camera, will serve the purpose.

Or shit, idk, ask Beagle....

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

GV-HD700 looks good for sure. Thanks man. Roughly $2000CAD on Ebay right now, but I always hunt for this type of thing locally first. Even the GV-D models are overpriced online imo.

I would assume that GV-D1000 was the industry standard for prosumer MiniDV at the time. (late 90s) My father worked for a hockey team, and this is what they used. As far as our purpose, I'm sure that any of these portable models, or even a reliable capture camera, will serve the purpose.

Both GV-D900 and GV-D1000 seem to be in the same price range and the former has a bigger and better lcd screen. If you're in need of a usb connection (not sure what purpose it serves on a device like this) or a memory stick slot, the GV-D1000 does have those.

If you're planning to use the device strictly for capturing, I'd go for a DVCAM recorder like the DSR-20. I've had more luck capturing glitchy footage succesfully on a DSR-11. Imagine them being more ubiquitious than video walkmen, too.

Rawse

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Both GV-D900 and GV-D1000 seem to be in the same price range and the former has a bigger and better lcd screen. If you're in need of a usb connection (not sure what purpose it serves on a device like this) or a memory stick slot, the GV-D1000 does have those.

If you're planning to use the device strictly for capturing, I'd go for a DVCAM recorder like the DSR-20. I've had more luck capturing glitchy footage succesfully on a DSR-11. Imagine them being more ubiquitious than video walkmen, too.

My man. Thank you. This is definitely what I came here for. Most of the DSR-20s I have come across are beat up, but I agree that the standalone recorders will better suit my purpose over a walkman. I'm using a standard firewire connection to an older MacBook Pro, FCE, etc.

I'll keep an eye out for these DSR models. Thanks again.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Rawse

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
Just saw an IG story of @theorizer importing with this bad boy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DSR-45-DVCAM-Compact-Half-rack-Digital-VTR-w-2-LCD-monitor-used/393230177876?hash=item5b8e585654:g:g80AAOSwc~RgZiGG

Hot tip. I ended up bidding on this unit, but didn't meet the reserve price. Looks clean IMO...

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 12:45:45 AM »
I just placed a bid on a DSR-20  8)
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 01:57:04 AM »
I missed a good deal on one of the Walkman devices, so I did another look and found another one for the same price I found the other one for.

I find that they either seem to be in the US that are around the £340 range, but then the prices mount up with shipping whilst over here there are loads for £500-1000 that keep cropping up and that seems a bit too pricy.

I just bought a Sony GV-D900E that also comes with another charger/adaptor. Happy days.

Even though I am tapeless now, this will come in handy for going through older tapes. I don't trust the capture cam to do the task over and over.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me