Author Topic: MiniDV Capture Devices  (Read 207 times)

Rawse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
MiniDV Capture Devices
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has a comprehensive list of reliable Capture Deck model numbers. I have used a JVC Camcorder for a few years, until it started destroying tapes. I have since just been capturing full tapes off of my VX, but this is obviously not a long term solution. I'm old, have SOME money, and am working on a full length....ie I don't want to waste time/money on another shitty capture cam to save a few bucks. It's a labor of love to continue to film VX in the first place. Here's what I have found so far: If you have experience/opinion with any of these devices, please let me know. Thanks! (FYI, trying to keep this around/under $500CAD)

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony GV-D1000 (obviously preferred, but eBay prices are high)
- Sony DSR-20

;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
    • tumblr
Re: MiniDV Capture Devices
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
Man if you are spending that much money might as well get one of these.. I have one of these and it has lasted me about 5-6 years now. Its solid.

But also,

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Whatís the benefit to these vs a cap cam? Likely least amount of quality loss I imagine? I used some $50 cannon camera I got off eBay and logged well over a hundred tapes without issue and footage looked great.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Garth Marenghi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:24:13 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has a comprehensive list of reliable Capture Deck model numbers. I have used a JVC Camcorder for a few years, until it started destroying tapes. I have since just been capturing full tapes off of my VX, but this is obviously not a long term solution. I'm old, have SOME money, and am working on a full length....ie I don't want to waste time/money on another shitty capture cam to save a few bucks. It's a labor of love to continue to film VX in the first place. Here's what I have found so far: If you have experience/opinion with any of these devices, please let me know. Thanks! (FYI, trying to keep this around/under $500CAD)

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D

Is there some feature that makes GV-D1000 preferrable to the other players?

Another viable option could be the GV-HD700. Found one on Ebay in 2018 for roughly 400 euros.

Whatís the benefit to these vs a cap cam? Likely least amount of quality loss I imagine? I used some $50 cannon camera I got off eBay and logged well over a hundred tapes without issue and footage looked great.
There shouldn't be any loss of quality if the firewire works properly.

nickpaolucci

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »
Man if you are spending that much money might as well get one of these.. I have one of these and it has lasted me about 5-6 years now. Its solid.

But also,

this shit looks so sexy. gotta cop one
The real Nick P.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
    • Cigarettes for Cardio
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:50:05 AM »
I copped one and it was broken. Iím cool using an actual camera.

Rawse

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:37:04 AM »

Firewire/DV out is pretty much the same on all devices, it's not really a quality thing. For me, it's reliability. My capture cam was just a piece of shit camera, and in the end, it was eating every tape I put in. I also wouldn't pay someone to fix a JVC that I bought for $40, right...

Ok, I think I get it. It hurts me to spend this much on a GV-D1000, my old man had a bunch of these when I was a kid, even the Hi8 model which are so sick. The DSR-20 is what really sparked the post for me. I don't care too much about portability, and I wanted to see if there were other reliable "VCR" models out there. Thanks guys.

Garth Marenghi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
@Rawse

Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

Another viable option could be the GV-HD700. Found one on Ebay in 2018 for roughly 400 euros.

YungJugg

• Rep: 76
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »
Is the purpose of a capture cam to keep strain from rewinding and shit off your main camera? Been filming on my old shitty miniDV camera the past year and looking to capture soon. Would like to do it the best way possible.

Was just gonna do firewire directly from the camera, kind of a noob with this.
working hard like if he was from the 1920s or something

Rawse

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]

GV-HD700 looks good for sure. Thanks man. Roughly $2000CAD on Ebay right now, but I always hunt for this type of thing locally first. Even the GV-D models are overpriced online imo.

I would assume that GV-D1000 was the industry standard for prosumer MiniDV at the time. (late 90s) My father worked for a hockey team, and this is what they used. As far as our purpose, I'm sure that any of these portable models, or even a reliable capture camera, will serve the purpose.

Or shit, idk, ask Beagle....

Garth Marenghi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

GV-HD700 looks good for sure. Thanks man. Roughly $2000CAD on Ebay right now, but I always hunt for this type of thing locally first. Even the GV-D models are overpriced online imo.

I would assume that GV-D1000 was the industry standard for prosumer MiniDV at the time. (late 90s) My father worked for a hockey team, and this is what they used. As far as our purpose, I'm sure that any of these portable models, or even a reliable capture camera, will serve the purpose.

Both GV-D900 and GV-D1000 seem to be in the same price range and the former has a bigger and better lcd screen. If you're in need of a usb connection (not sure what purpose it serves on a device like this) or a memory stick slot, the GV-D1000 does have those.

If you're planning to use the device strictly for capturing, I'd go for a DVCAM recorder like the DSR-20. I've had more luck capturing glitchy footage succesfully on a DSR-11. Imagine them being more ubiquitious than video walkmen, too.

Rawse

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Rawse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Sony GV-D900
- Sony DSR-20

;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Both GV-D900 and GV-D1000 seem to be in the same price range and the former has a bigger and better lcd screen. If you're in need of a usb connection (not sure what purpose it serves on a device like this) or a memory stick slot, the GV-D1000 does have those.

If you're planning to use the device strictly for capturing, I'd go for a DVCAM recorder like the DSR-20. I've had more luck capturing glitchy footage succesfully on a DSR-11. Imagine them being more ubiquitious than video walkmen, too.

My man. Thank you. This is definitely what I came here for. Most of the DSR-20s I have come across are beat up, but I agree that the standalone recorders will better suit my purpose over a walkman. I'm using a standard firewire connection to an older MacBook Pro, FCE, etc.

I'll keep an eye out for these DSR models. Thanks again.

Mac Berg

• Rep: 4
  • VX1000 SLC, UT
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Rawse

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
Just saw an IG story of @theorizer importing with this bad boy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DSR-45-DVCAM-Compact-Half-rack-Digital-VTR-w-2-LCD-monitor-used/393230177876?hash=item5b8e585654:g:g80AAOSwc~RgZiGG

Hot tip. I ended up bidding on this unit, but didn't meet the reserve price. Looks clean IMO...