Author Topic: Lightest boards  (Read 3612 times)

InVerseKinematicKingy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: Lightest boards
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Y'all made me look up the Powell flight decks. In NZ that'll cost me $175usd for a deck that's still going to razortail. Hard pass
[close]
What does a normal 7 ply cost you? For me a normal board is $50-$60, and flight boards I have seen between $85-$100. Dwindle stuff has always been in the same ballpark for me. The cost isn’t the thing stopping me from getting flight boards, it’s consistent distribution.

I personally stick with Deluxe since I like consistency with wood/shape, and I travel an awful lot which means Powell isn’t an option. There are a lot of shops that don’t carry Powell because they are too “cool guy”, y’all know those loser ass vibes. Every schmuck and his mom thinks Deluxe is cool even though they are as lame a fucking company as you can have in a lot of ways. I will say they make the 2nd best boards in the industry, and other than the holiday seasons their QA/QC is consistent enough.
[close]
The exchange rate has been fluctuating between 60c and 75c on the dollar in the last few years. Current prices look like:
Quasi: $130nzd = $91usd
Baker: $150nzd = $105usd
FA: $180nzd = $125usd
Powell Flight $250nzd = $175usd

Also my city is one of the most expensive in the world to live in, in terms of wages vs cost of living. Rent, food, gas, imported goods are all pricey.

That’s wild bro. In the states boards run $50-$60 regardless of brand. Europe it varies wildly. The Brazilian market is something else entirely. As far as the pacific market goes, I’m not too familiar outside of Japan. I once spent a layover in Ohare or Denver for 6 hours drinking with the dudes who made those wild multi axis longboard trucks for Oz that you can customize and have like rods in, and they gave me a pretty in depth rundown of the market years ago. I know boards fluctuate wildly like that. Shit would irritate the hell out of me considering brands use the same woodshops, but get prices differently without differences like silk vs. heat transfer, etc. also on a random note, if people heat transfer to boards I don’t buy the bullshit from every company out there that it doesn’t damage structural integrity. It does, and I don’t know why this myth has been out there for so long.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Y'all made me look up the Powell flight decks. In NZ that'll cost me $175usd for a deck that's still going to razortail. Hard pass
[close]

What does a normal 7 ply cost you? For me a normal board is $50-$60, and flight boards I have seen between $85-$100. Dwindle stuff has always been in the same ballpark for me. The cost isn’t the thing stopping me from getting flight boards, it’s consistent distribution.

I personally stick with Deluxe since I like consistency with wood/shape, and I travel an awful lot which means Powell isn’t an option. There are a lot of shops that don’t carry Powell because they are too “cool guy”, y’all know those loser ass vibes. Every schmuck and his mom thinks Deluxe is cool even though they are as lame a fucking company as you can have in a lot of ways. I will say they make the 2nd best boards in the industry, and other than the holiday seasons their QA/QC is consistent enough.

Who makes the best? Powell ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

eSK3

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 06:56:26 AM »
The boards Gangemi is doing are light and have crispy pop!

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 09:05:11 PM »

The reason I would put Schmitt below Deluxe in terms of a woodshop is the quality control, and especially with different brands under their house.
I've personally seen more issues with quality control from DLX than PS Stix, but hey I'm not an engineer with a Dylan-esque kickflip

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 10:48:56 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 01:59:32 AM »
Powell does seem to have a good name in the notoriously technically-minded field of downhill wheels. That’s probably where a lot of the friction research goes, developing high-rebound urethane that has a delicate balance between grip and wear durability
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
The boards Gangemi is doing are light and have crispy pop!
I'm on my third one, loving them so far. Personally I'd like a slightly bigger tail but I like the boards enough to overlook that. Very sturdy.

Lykun

• Rep: -2
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 04:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
What do you think are the lightest boards out right now? And also still have good snap.
[close]
If you really wanna get light, buy tensor mag light trucks. They are so light its fucking regular. I love it and haven't skated anything else in years

I splurged on a pair of maglites last year because they were out of those fancy Krux I wanted to try so bad, and I can say they're crazy light, but I think to really get the full effect, they have to be on an equally light deck, else if feels a bit off-balance, IMO.  I can't grind yet, so I can't say how they are besides riding, and flatground, but mine are on a Plan B board with Big Balls bearings (slow as hell), and it just makes the board feel... maybe a bit unstable, unbalanced?  Maybe just unusual...

Not just because of the slow Big Balls bearings, but even with the maglites, I usually grab my Zero with Super Reds, and hollow titanium Thunders...

If the maglites were on a super light board, which from this thread I gather are the Flight Lite, and Santa Cruz VX, then maybe you'd see a massive improvement in terms of weight, but I don't think weight is the holy grail, I mean, there's also your deck's elasticity, and how it rebounds off the pavement, and that really has to do with the wood, and concave, I would think...

Also light deck, light trucks might be easier to get off the ground, and a lighter deck might have more elasticity, but what about inertia?  can you get as much air-time with a light deck as with a heavy board?  won't the heavy board have more inertia once in the air?  Like won't a lighter set-up fall faster than a heavy one?

Like I'm trying with two erasers right now, and it seems the smaller one doesn't hang in the air as long as the big one...

So maybe that's another factor to take into consideration?