Author Topic: Ace Trucks | AF1 Kingpin And Axle Re-Threader Dies  (Read 3383 times)

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
Ace Trucks | AF1 Kingpin And Axle Re-Threader Dies
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Ace Trucks | AF1 Kingpin And Axle Re-Threader Dies
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
ok thanks

Vitriol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »
Thank you, Ace , for giving me key instructions about which finger to use to hold the nut inside the tool...

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:50 AM »
If there is one thing I need jingling around on my pants all day, Its something I might use once every 2 years.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
If there is one thing I need jingling around on my pants all day, Its something I might use once every 2 years.

Haha
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:43:17 AM »
The kingpin rethreader could be useful, haven't seen one in the wild ever. I had the axle rethreader nut but I gave it to a homie, the one that comes on the plastic Y-Tools are shit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:32:28 AM »
The kingpin rethreader could be useful, haven't seen one in the wild ever. I had the axle rethreader nut but I gave it to a homie, the one that comes on the plastic Y-Tools are shit.

Yes, definitely thinking that kingpin rethreader would be interesting to see!

My metal skate tool holds up so much better than the plastic component versions too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »
I've got both. Haven't used the kingpin re-threader yet bu the axle re-threader worked on some stage 8s that needed some TLC.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »

these dies can be bought from any hardware store
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 07:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought so too, but when I went looking, all the kits or units I bought had issues, turned out they didn't have the same size with the same thread distance, so although I had rethreaded a kingpin, it didn't work, compared to something that is built for a skateboard kingpin or axle.  Might be different here in Australia compared to US or other places though.

There have been a million axle rethreaders out over the years, which work well when used correctly, but I would be stoked to have a good sturdy working kingpin rethreader in the shop, not that I need it really at all, but it beats using a file and angle grinder, as per the last time, a year or more ago now.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought so too, but when I went looking, all the kits or units I bought had issues, turned out they didn't have the same size with the same thread distance, so although I had rethreaded a kingpin, it didn't work, compared to something that is built for a skateboard kingpin or axle.  Might be different here in Australia compared to US or other places though.

There have been a million axle rethreaders out over the years, which work well when used correctly, but I would be stoked to have a good sturdy working kingpin rethreader in the shop, not that I need it really at all, but it beats using a file and angle grinder, as per the last time, a year or more ago now.

for what its worth, the axle threads are 5/16-24 and the king pin is 3/8-24.   it's not so much the tool that makes them hard to recut as it is just getting on them straight
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »
Thank you, Ace , for giving me key instructions about which finger to use to hold the nut inside the tool...

Haha exactly what I thought.. Then I remembered I was watching a product video on something that has been in existence since 1882 and it made a little more sense.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

for what its worth, the axle threads are 5/16-24 and the king pin is 3/8-24.   it's not so much the tool that makes them hard to recut as it is just getting on them straight

The funniest one was when a kid borrowed the rethreader while I was otherwise occupied and had wound it on so far that it was stuck at the inside edge of the axle thread. Never letting someone use it without supervision again.

What i was meaning before is there are different thread types and all the kits I found only had the wider thread rethreader heads, not the ones that recut kingpins correctly, so the diameter was correct, but after rethreading, the nut stripped out when putting it on.

Aussie kits had a different standard of measurement than skateboard trucks.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 12:33:43 AM »
Kinda cool, as those re-threaders are hard as fuck to find in europe in tight size as we use metric system. Although I haven’t been able to strip my axle nuts in like 15years when someone told me putting some extra washers inside, one of the best advices I’ve ever gotten. I think I don’t need that kingpin one, as I never touch my kingpin nut, all stock as long I’m thru axle but I still want that tool so ACE has done some great marketing on this one😁
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:37 AM »
The only guys who keep their keys on a caribiner have all died in Sublime moshpits

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
The only guys who keep their keys on a caribiner have all died in Sublime moshpits
Nah, we still here. Jingle jangle yo.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For everyone who doesn't use a carbiner, yall just walking around with keys in you pockets? Fanny pack? whats the deal? I have 4 keys on a ring and even with loose pants that shit is annoying feeling it in the pocket.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

HAHHA

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What i was meaning before is there are different thread types and all the kits I found only had the wider thread rethreader heads, not the ones that recut kingpins correctly, so the diameter was correct, but after rethreading, the nut stripped out when putting it on.

That’s where the “24” in the 5/16-24 comes in. It means there are 24 threads per inch. I don’t know if there is an exact imperial match or if you’d have to purchase a 5/16 specifically.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 07:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s where the “24” in the 5/16-24 comes in. It means there are 24 threads per inch. I don’t know if there is an exact imperial match or if you’d have to purchase a 5/16 specifically.

Yes, that was it. (Thanks!)

I had looked it all up at some point and pretty much given up, as the very rare time I actually needed something, I had just used stone age resources instead.

No need to go digging for anything else now with this though.

I wonder how long before I would ever need to use it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 07:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
For everyone who doesn't use a carbiner, yall just walking around with keys in you pockets? Fanny pack? whats the deal? I have 4 keys on a ring and even with loose pants that shit is annoying feeling it in the pocket.

Also wondering this? Carabiners are fictional as fuck I even have my wallet on mine. Not like a chain wallet. But those chums  wallets. It goes in back pocket keys go wherever they fall ,pocket or hang.