Author Topic: What if decks came with 8 holes so you can skate smaller WB/ bigger nose/tail  (Read 1764 times)

lucascbn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • #maconha
I was about to cop a shaped deck and it has the old scholl holes drilled (6 holes), which made me think: what if they always came with 8 holes so you could choose what you want.

Personally having a hard time with boards bc they're coming with outrageously small nose and tail.

What are your opinions?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Someone has to say it so:
Boards do come with 8 holes.

But yeah I've only seen a few that give you the option of shortening the wheelbase and I think it's a good idea. Are you riding a welcome deck?

Just wondering if the extra holes influence the stability of the board around the bolts in any way.

numagik

• Rep: 35
could be a fun gimmick. cant really see it becoming a thing unless some pro becomes Reynolds level fixated on changing his shit mid-sesh. id be into it though

snowballz

• Rep: -12
Antihero already did this with a lot of Grosso's shaped boards.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 110
Enjoy your life.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
I wish every day that adjustable wheelbases stuck around, but I know that they'd just let me turn my 14.5" into to a 14.75", instead of the 14.25" I want.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Nerds what were the trucks that’s had a sliding baseplate to adjust the wheel base? It was like lates 70s gimmicky bullshit

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
As noted, there are plenty out there, but usually on shaped boards with shitty noses....if they did this for tails they would snap faster than Thanos.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
What if you bought a second set of baseplates for your trucks, welded the bolt holes and re-drilled new ones so you could swap baseplates to adjust length? 

Or...  just run Ace when you need to have a longer feeling nose/tail and Ventures when you need to have a shorter feeling one.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I would be constantly pondering if I chose the correct  configuration or not.  I think that sometimes having less options is a good thing (for me at least).
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Decks already come with 8 holes :v

I think what OP means is have two sets of mounting holes on both sides.

Left: What we already have.

Right: What I think OP is talking about.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Just drill them yourself. I've been doing it since the original Gonz "color my friends" deck. Just don't fuck up.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
Just drill them yourself. I've been doing it since the original Gonz "color my friends" deck. Just don't fuck up.

What would be the drill bit size to use? Thinking I may try to shorten an old deck’s wheelbase by .25” just for shits and giggles

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
How do you go about it? I was thinking about doing it a while ago; I've got some double drilled 169s and was thinking of just putting them on backwards and using the extra holes as a template.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Decks already come with 8 holes :v

I think what OP means is have two sets of mounting holes on both sides.

Left: What we already have.

Right: What I think OP is talking about.

That's how I understood the OPs post.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
Board companies stopped doing this because in the early '90s because it made the boards weaker. The boards that have it today are typically replicas of shapes from back then targeted to old dudes who don't typically do anything that would break a board anyway.
How much for an order of ribs?

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
Expand Quote
[close]
How do you go about it? I was thinking about doing it a while ago; I've got some double drilled 169s and was thinking of just putting them on backwards and using the extra holes as a template.
I’ve done this a couple of times and it’s worked fine for me.  I redrilled the nose and tail of a deck using the method you described and am pretty sure I shrunk the wheelbase by around an inch.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I’ve done this a couple of times and it’s worked fine for me.  I redrilled the nose and tail of a deck using the method you described and am pretty sure I shrunk the wheelbase by around an inch.

Yes, just did it on a board for someone today.

The Indy 6 hole baseplate adds or removes 3/8" which is about the least distance I would drill out as holes too close will weaken the board a lot.  Drilling them in to shorten the wheelbase doesn't weaken the deck anywhere near as much as drilling them out but most people who drill out the nose don't do that much to stress the wood, so never break boards anyway.

Most of those factory double drilled boards I have are about half an inch apart, all in the nose, but for some over the years, especially when it felt like the concave was too steep or the holes were drilled too close to the kicks, I have drilled in both using the Indy baseplate bringing them in towards the middle and it worked really well, shortened the wheelbase from 15" to 14 1/4" all up.

@baustin
As to the drill bit size, I found one that fit snugly through the baseplate holes and it worked well, but forget what size it is. I just keep it in the redrilling kit I have made up.

Note, I used just the baseplate without the hanger, attached it with deck bolts to the deck in the normal way making sure it was square, drilled gently through the two holes, turned it around and drilled the other two in the same way and then set up the board with the new wheelbase.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:10:59 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
Drill bit size is 3/16" but I also use a 1/16" bit first for a pilot hole.

Schinken

• Rep: 60

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
As others have noted, it’s extremely easy to do this yourself. Just use an old truck base plate as a saw guide and line up everything squarely by using a straight edge to draw a line through the factory holes. Two passes, the first with a pilot hole and the second with whatever size you actually need and you’re done.

The board will be weaker and more prone to stress risers, which is why the skate industry stopped doing this, but I doubt this is of huge concern to the average Slap-posting skate obsessive.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Get yourself to your nearest Caliber Truck Co dealer and step right up to an 8 hole baseplate.