Author Topic: Kickflip Front Foot Position  (Read 1206 times)

ballintoohard

Kickflip Front Foot Position
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
Years back on smaller boards I eventually learned to kickflip as high as I could Ollie by placing my front foot with my heel hanging off a tad more than an Ollie and just angling it a bit. Years later on much bigger decks I find myself with my front toes barely to the inside of the front truck bolts. When I try it the old way I can’t seem to get the board to flick quickly enough and it primos at best. Has anyone else changed their front foot position and have any cues or advice to look for?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Kickflip Front Foot Position
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Used to always try to put my front foot like an ollie because a lot of my friends who have the most fucked up kickflips do it like an ollie then late flick.

Realized I'm just not built like that and now I just put about half my foot on the board (give or take depending on the board) at an angle and do a quick toe flick, kinda the nyjah way I guess. Can still do them reasonably high, its lower effort and quicker for flipping into stuff.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 03:24:28 AM »
Glad this thread exists because whenever I train my kickflips I get random leg pain. Like the inside of my left leg hurts when I crouch before popping and flicking. It’s really odd I wonder if any of you guys have had this happen to them?

Skatebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 03:34:46 AM »
I find my foot position reasonably consistent, front foot at a 35 degree angle (ish), with my toes covering 3 of the 4 front bolts.

What i do have to change and tweak deck to deck, is the direction of my flick, some decks i flick out to the side more, and some more straight up the board into the nose. Also have to change my back foot position if i'm skating a short tail vs a longer tail.

I will also, without fail, primo about 1 in every 15-20 kickflips...no matter how many times I session them, or what i change up. The rest of the time i've got a reasonably clean and consistent kickflip. Tend to primo regular ones more than fakie.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:04:02 AM »
I recently started doing kickflips with a good portion of my front foot on the board behind the bolts and my back foot closer to the heel-side pocket. That back foot helps with a quick snap and having more of your front foot on helps you get a leveled flick while staying centered. (my front foot isn't like Jeremy Wray's or anything, but it's more on the board than off.)

funny enough, someone sent me this and it actually makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSa1TlAxtkM

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:01 AM »
I relearned kickflips at age 38 or 9 (2016) after no kickflips since 2002

I always had a poor kickflip technique Even though I could do almost every kickflip variation for years.

I finally in the end of the 90s started doing this exercise.

Ollie...
Heel flip...
Ollie...
KICKFLIP! Pow. They started snacking my back foot.

This got them under control. You gotta practice them not avoid them. I bet if I had a better kickflip I would have saved the world by now.

The end is near. We're all going to burn to death. Get your kickflips straight before it's too late.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
I try to find foot positioning like this dude:
http://youtu.be/8vIyQC7OFs0

I've actually played the opening kickflip at .25 speed for years but have only recently paid attention to just how much front foot he has on and how his back toe is just on the very tip of the tail.

I've found that more front foot = higher kickflips and a more controlled flick. I've also learned to actually open up my shoulders a tad when flicking with more foot on, as it helps me suck my knees up. Having more foot on the board helps prevent missed flicks, which has always plagued me. Here's a still where you can see his shoulders opening in the direction of movement like I mentioned:
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »

I've actually played the opening kickflip at .25 speed for years but have only recently paid attention to just how much front foot he has on and how his back toe is just on the very tip of the tail.

I've found that more front foot = higher kickflips and a more controlled flick. I've also learned to actually open up my shoulders a tad when flicking with more foot on, as it helps me suck my knees up. Having more foot on the board helps prevent missed flicks, which has always plagued me. Here's a still where you can see his shoulders opening in the direction of movement like I mentioned:

I use my bolts as reference.
Kick through three bolts and off the front like a one foot.

With loose trucks it's hard to not have most of your foot on there. Switch I'm going to be more on the ball of my foot. Two bolts.

I've noticed sometimes my whiffed kickflips hit my back foot harder. Especially Fakie. My Fakie flip is powerful
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 05:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I use my bolts as reference.
Kick through three bolts and off the front like a one foot.

With loose trucks it's hard to not have most of your foot on there. Switch I'm going to be more on the ball of my foot. Two bolts.

I've noticed sometimes my whiffed kickflips hit my back foot harder. Especially Fakie. My Fakie flip is powerful

More foot with loose trucks definitely helps with balance and feeling secure, especially when trying to kickflip when you're movin quick.

I will really try to put my toes flush with the edge of the board sometimes and the kickflip still works, like very little heel hang at all. That's also almost exactly where I put my foot for heelflips, but I do like just a smidge of toe hanging off.

Edit: I ride 8.0's only, such foot placement would probably be fucked on anything bigger than 8.25
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:02:21 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead