Author Topic: Tensor maglights  (Read 14242 times)

Steve Kelly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -227
Tensor maglights
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
I was told on here that they’re super light, but what have people’s experience been concerning overall use? Turning, grinding, etc.

Thanks

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
Re: Tensor maglights
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
I tried these out last year just to check them out. they grind really well, but the metal is really soft and grinds through really quick. in like 1 day they were already looking really ground out. they have a good pinch

the turn is weird. its hard to explain. you can't ride them loose. they just don't work. really bizarre feel, wheelbite immediately, even on 50mm wheels. not sure how daewon does it. but if you have them tight they actually turn better than cranking down Indys or ace... if that makes sense?  you can have them real tight and they still have a bit of turn to them.

I actually really liked them but wasn't committed to being a tensor guy. but they did change my mind about some truck ideas I had. I used to be a loose truck guy but now I'm more into a stable pretty tight truck. and having a lighter set up is nice. I have now switched to venture hollow lights from ace which I rode for almost a decade

Thanks man. How light are the venture lights compared to the tensor?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
I tried these out last year just to check them out. they grind really well, but the metal is really soft and grinds through really quick. in like 1 day they were already looking really ground out. they have a good pinch

the turn is weird. its hard to explain. you can't ride them loose. they just don't work. really bizarre feel, wheelbite immediately, even on 50mm wheels. not sure how daewon does it. but if you have them tight they actually turn better than cranking down Indys or ace... if that makes sense?  you can have them real tight and they still have a bit of turn to them.

I actually really liked them but wasn't committed to being a tensor guy. but they did change my mind about some truck ideas I had. I used to be a loose truck guy but now I'm more into a stable pretty tight truck. and having a lighter set up is nice. I have now switched to venture hollow lights from ace which I rode for almost a decade

So I'm riding the ATG maglights right now. That's an important distinction. The higher geometry helps avoid wheelbite. Also, I swapped the bottom bushing to a Bones Hard and got rid of the bottom bushing cup washer thing. That helps limit the torsion, while still allowing for decent turning with the normal kinda mid-durometer top bushing.

Can't directly speak to the lower Maglights, but I assume they wheelbite much worse.

TLDR; ATG Maglights are pretty good actually and you can limit the wheelbite by swapping bottom bushing.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
ATG Tensor Mag Lights grind better, and are lighter than anything out there. Period. I get asked a lot by randos at spots what trucks I ride in slappy sessions as my grinds, especially feebles and smiths are looooooooooong in comparison to others skating the same spot. At my speed (fast) I can go twice as far grinding them compare to the big 3/4. Ventures feel like a struggle in comparison.

Turning is subjective. I found the stock 90a bushings too stiff. and swapped them out to bones softs (no bottom washer) but use the washer on top.

Soft Bones bottom (pick your poison of duro) with either the tensor top bushing and the flat bones washer (they come with big top washers that bind a bit) or same duro bones top gets these trucks in Indy/Thunder territory for turning.

My only grip is they are 55mm tall, I prefer lower trucks and smaller wheels don't negate the height so I usually just ride bigger curb crusher wheels with them and keep them as my slappy boards (usually slicks or setup with rails).

[stupid] Light for sure, but that does go away a bit once you set them up...that said, buddy of mine grabbed my board (8.3, 8.5 ATGs and 54mm wheels) and said WTF dude, that's fucking light. The weight doesn't mess with my trucks at all, you get used to them in no time.

Haters gonna hate. But they are really good once you get used to them.

Currently have them in all 3 sizes they offer. Shout out to @Sundaynuggets for letting me know his local had the 8.5" ATG mags, then going there and picking up my pre-paid order and shipping them out!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
The good-
-grind like butter
-don't turn too bad considering, nice stock bushes
-very light= less effort to pop stuff, found I could pop higher and they saved my knees a bit fatigue wise

The bad
-axles bend (I banana'd the axles on 2 pairs in around 6 weeks just skating flatground)
-hangers wear down pretty much just by looking at them, super soft
-very light= easy to over flip, little to no feedback from the board

Were they interesting to try? Yes...

Would i skate them again? No, the axles bending out annoyed the fuck out of me.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 03:05:51 PM »
Do they turn better than Ventures?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »
Do they turn better than Ventures?

That's subjective. But I'll say, hell yes they do.

We all know Ventures are the least turny truck out of the main trucks. Yes they turn (but so do Krux...). They are quite carvey (they do well in transition).

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »
The good-
-grind like butter
-don't turn too bad considering, nice stock bushes
-very light= less effort to pop stuff, found I could pop higher and they saved my knees a bit fatigue wise

The bad
-axles bend (I banana'd the axles on 2 pairs in around 6 weeks just skating flatground)
-hangers wear down pretty much just by looking at them, super soft
-very light= easy to over flip, little to no feedback from the board

Were they interesting to try? Yes...

Would i skate them again? No, the axles bending out annoyed the fuck out of me.

Agree on every point apart from the lack of feedback on flips. I didn't find that to be much of a sticking point at all. (Previous trucks were Thunder Team Hi's, same width. Based on what truck you're coming from, your mileage may vary.)

The axles bending is their most pressing flaw though. Can't be sure if it's shitty metal in the axles themselves, which could be solved by making Mag Lights with solid axles... or if it's a result of the softer metal in the hangar giving it less of a stable foundation, which would be much harder to fix without either tweaking the alloy or reengineering the entire truck. Both of which would likely add weight.

Either way, they grind like FUCK, and turn damn good, especially considering the trucks they're replacing. I don't think I'll get another pair though.

Too fat.

The geometry is great though, and it makes it seem as though Tensor's other trucks could be a great Indy alternative.
-Summer of George-

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm not hucking myself down shit these days so I'm not seeing any bending of axles. I'm also a modest/fit 180lbs

phlap

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
I'm not hucking myself down shit these days so I'm not seeing any bending of axles. I'm also a modest/fit 180lbs
Too fat.
-Summer of George-

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »
 :D
ATG Tensor Mag Lights grind better, and are lighter than anything out there. Period. I get asked a lot by randos at spots what trucks I ride in slappy sessions as my grinds, especially feebles and smiths are looooooooooong in comparison to others skating the same spot. At my speed (fast) I can go twice as far grinding them compare to the big 3/4. Ventures feel like a struggle in comparison.

Turning is subjective. I found the stock 90a bushings too stiff. and swapped them out to bones softs (no bottom washer) but use the washer on top.

Soft Bones bottom (pick your poison of duro) with either the tensor top bushing and the flat bones washer (they come with big top washers that bind a bit) or same duro bones top gets these trucks in Indy/Thunder territory for turning.

My only grip is they are 55mm tall, I prefer lower trucks and smaller wheels don't negate the height so I usually just ride bigger curb crusher wheels with them and keep them as my slappy boards (usually slicks or setup with rails).

[stupid] Light for sure, but that does go away a bit once you set them up...that said, buddy of mine grabbed my board (8.3, 8.5 ATGs and 54mm wheels) and said WTF dude, that's fucking light. The weight doesn't mess with my trucks at all, you get used to them in no time.

Currently have them in all 3 sizes they offer. Shout out to @Sundaynuggets for letting me know his local had the 8.5" ATG mags, then going there and picking up my pre-paid order and shipping them out!

Glad to help and glad they are working out for you! You got me curious to try mine out again!

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »
ATG Maglites for me too. I’m also 230 lbs...no axle bending for me, but I skate flat ground and curbs. I really like these, and yeah, they grind like butter.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]

Fixed it for yo. If I were too fat, I would be bending axles...but I'm not, so I don't.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 05:23:37 PM »
:D
Expand Quote

[close]

Glad to help and glad they are working out for you! You got me curious to try mine out again!

Thanks again! Having a blast on them...just wish they made them bigger!

ATG Maglites for me too. I’m also 230 lbs...no axle bending for me, but I skate flat ground and curbs. I really like these, and yeah, they grind like butter.

I'm telling, you if have a slappy game and do it on the regular, you owe it to yourself to try them out. I set them up on slicks or boards with rails and it's a blast.

phlap

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]
[close]

Fixed it for yo. If I were too fat, I would be bending axles...but I'm not, so I don't.

Haha nah man. I was talking about myself.

Trying to stay trim with my 30th at my doorstep isn't as easy as it once was.
-Summer of George-

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 06:16:26 PM »
That grind tho..

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:09 PM »
I’m skating the mag light lo now, in 5.5. I have the atg in 5.5 and 5.75
I am skating the lo’s (45.5 mm tall) with 54 mm wheels. I like slightly larger wheels with them because I feel like the slightly heavier wheel offsets the lightness.
I made my own wheel wells with a dremrl.
I’m skating them on the primitive 8.25 shape.
They snap so quick and are so stable. It’s awesome being so low to the ground. I feel way more connected and balance seems easier. They pop easier on flip tricks, but you aren’t quite as explosive. I’m 40, so im prioritizing the quick snap over explosive power. You definitely need a deck with a longer tail, girl gO52, primitive or April 8.25.
The grind is the best

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Eat better, don't drink, change will happen fast.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:54 PM »
I’ve skated through 2 sets of the older model and am on my 2nd set of ATGs. The ATGs are where it’s at. Like mentioned above, I also use bones soft bottoms and stock top bushings and it turns great. Grinds like a charm and I’ve never bent an axel (my weight fluctuates between 150-160 depending on how much I’m partying). I typically skate a lot of curbs and low ledges (the biggest thing I’ll go down is a 3 stair). For that, they’re absolutely perfect imo. I do think that unless you have a bigger board or wheels, flips tend to kind of rocket. They’re so light that the board can kind of get lost beneath you from my experience.

Skatebeard

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 12:01:38 AM »

I weigh 150lbs and I bent the axles on two pairs literally just skating flatground and a few ledges less than a foot high, and I'm not heavy footed when it comes to landing stuff.

Might get lucky and get a good pair, but I would say bending the axles to some degree will be highly probable in most cases.

If they were 1/3 cheaper than they are I would almost forgive the bendy axles and just treat them as a disposable item like a deck, as the grind is ridiculous, ledges feel like easy mode.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 04:29:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sleep well by not going that late to bed too. This guy makes it sound like 30yo is a death sentence, couldn't be further from truth.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 06:13:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Sleep well by not going that late to bed too. This guy makes it sound like 30yo is a death sentence, couldn't be further from truth.
I’m almost 33 and I would say my skating is the best it’s been since I was in my teens. That ain’t saying much though

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 06:26:10 AM »
I love my pair of ATGs. Excellent grind, lightweight, strong(I haven't bent anything skating it for a several months to a year) and turn really good. I'd say on par with indy and thunder as long as you swap out the bushings to a bones medium or soft.

My only cons are sometimes the grind can be a little too fast especially on fairly waxed stuff compared to other non magnisium trucks. Depending on what your skating, it can be very easy to slip out on stuff like 5-0s until your fully used to the truck.

Great truck overall though. Already have more on standby :)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 06:33:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Too PHat.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I’m almost 33 and I would say my skating is the best it’s been since I was in my teens. That ain’t saying much though
Never say that. You're still on board, probably you can't say that about the 90% of the guys you skates with on your teens.
30s are the new 20s and so on.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:15 AM »
I love my pair of ATGs. Excellent grind, lightweight, strong(I haven't bent anything skating it for a several months to a year) and turn really good. I'd say on par with indy and thunder as long as you swap out the bushings to a bones medium or soft.

My only cons are sometimes the grind can be a little too fast especially on fairly waxed stuff compared to other non magnisium trucks. Depending on what your skating, it can be very easy to slip out on stuff like 5-0s until your fully used to the truck.

Great truck overall though. Already have more on standby :)

Grind can feel like purposely powersliding on wet ground if you are not careful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:40:00 AM by Xen »

Skatebeard

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
I still feel it in my wrist some days from slipping out on a 5-0 with Tensor mag lights back in December 2019...went down like a sack of shit onto both outstretched arms and my arse, and the board flew somewhere into the following week.

That grind though.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »
I still feel it in my wrist some days from slipping out on a 5-0 with Tensor mag lights back in December 2019...went down like a sack of shit onto both outstretched arms and my arse, and the board flew somewhere into the following week.

That grind though.

Slipped out of a crook and landed wrist first on the ledge haha.
Also liked it got grooves pretty quick.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
tactics just got a shipment of mag lights in. with some of the 5.75s (8.5 axle)

Got notified as well :P

They're LOs not ATGs tho.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »
I really liked them until they broke doing a crook on a foot tall ledge. Would not buy after that