Author Topic: Tensor maglights  (Read 14237 times)

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Tensor maglights
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:42 PM »
Hey folks, touching back here to say I'm really digging the Maglight Los I got prior to my last post here, I went ahead and got the normal height ones. One thing to note is that I'm not used to riding low trucks, so I thought that the fact that my Los were turning so poorly and wheelbiting so easily were normal characteristics of low trucks. Additionally, I was already riding some aftermarket Tensor bushings in some Ventures before I got my Maglight Los, so when I got the Los I immediately switched those bushings out for the ones I was already using without really thinking about it. I didn't think to compare the Lo and normal bushings side by side until I got the normal height ones and was going to put the bushings from the Los into the normal height ones, and when I did I noticed that the bottom bushings that came from the Los when I first got them are about a quarter inch taller than the normal height ones. So anyways, if you want your Tensor Los to be even lower and don't mind them turning shittier and wheelbiting all the time because the geometry is wrong than you can swap them out for normal sized Tensor bushings.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:05 AM »
anyone notice the new maglights are 20g heavier per truck? the past 2 sets i had to send back because they arent coming with the magnesium baseplate on them. anyone have some mag light trucks that are done and want to sell? looking for the atg baseplate that says magnesium under Tensor on the bottom of the baseplate!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
Yes , unfortunately, it’s been discussed ad nauseam in the “truck set ups, less popular edition thread”. They only come with alloy baseplates now.  :-\

That's might be (hopefully) temporary?

If you ask me, it sounds as if Tensor had burned through mag plate stock but still had mag hangers and were just ditching extra aluminum plate stock to make way for the ATG re-design that's in the works (i.e. new molds)..but for all we know that could mean the mag plates go away forever (or not).

PolarJames

• Rep: 6
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »
Seriously thinking of getting another pair of Tensor mag lights, I remember the grind was amazing and I do a lot of slappies now so it makes sense.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2022, 11:00:31 AM »
Seriously thinking of getting another pair of Tensor mag lights, I remember the grind was amazing and I do a lot of slappies now so it makes sense.

They're really fun and surfy, but the axles bend like a motherfucker. "Lifetime Warranty" but they won't honor it. If you're 140+ might be a good idea not to waste the money.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're really fun and surfy, but the axles bend like a motherfucker. "Lifetime Warranty" but they won't honor it. If you're 140+ might be a good idea not to waste the money.  :-\

Have you had a negative experience trying to get another set of trucks from them? I have only read that they regularly replace trucks.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Yes , unfortunately, it’s been discussed ad nauseam in the “truck set ups, less popular edition thread”. They only come with alloy baseplates now.  :-\
[close]

That's might be (hopefully) temporary?

If you ask me, it sounds as if Tensor had burned through mag plate stock but still had mag hangers and were just ditching extra aluminum plate stock to make way for the ATG re-design that's in the works (i.e. new molds)..but for all we know that could mean the mag plates go away forever (or not).

my email from 7 months ago

but yeah, IDK how long the redesign would take, also they were still facing inventory issues around that time.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2022, 11:06:43 AM »
They grind so so good on concrete. On some coped metals not so much. If they were durable it would be a no brainer. Pretty sure I could hit axle in a day on them, if they dont bend and crack before that.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have you had a negative experience trying to get another set of trucks from them? I have only read that they regularly replace trucks.

I sent in three pairs last year and as of yet have not recieved any replacements.  :(

Don't want to look like I'm bashing them, they're my favorite trucks on the market right now. But they have an achilles heel, the axles.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »
Imagine them with solid titanium axles and hollow titanium downlow kingpins, and in sizes larger than 8.75"

Goldilocks truck

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
Imagine them with solid titanium axles and hollow titanium downlow kingpins, and in sizes larger than 8.75"

Goldilocks truck

And lower than 55mm ;)

Titanium Maglights with a D/IKP at 52mm tall...scrumptious

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Goldilocks truck
[close]

And lower than 55mm ;)

These are tens most tens that are 52mm tall. They are the same as the lows, but these are the taller version which is discontinued. They are not the mag lights. You can tell the difference between the 45.5 mm lows from the 52mm mids because the logo that says 10 on the baseplate is printed in the lows and debossed on the regulars.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2022, 01:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Goldilocks truck
[close]

And lower than 55mm ;)

[close]
These are tens most tens that are 52mm tall. They are the same as the lows, but these are the taller version which is discontinued. They are not the mag lights. You can tell the difference between the 45.5 mm lows from the 52mm mids because the logo that says 10 on the baseplate is printed in the lows and debossed on the regulars.

Except they are not ATG, completely different geometry my dude.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2022, 06:49:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Goldilocks truck
[close]

And lower than 55mm ;)

[close]

[close]

Except they are not ATG, completely different geometry my dude.
Yeah for sure, my message makes no sense reading it back haha.
It’s all good though, I meant to specify that they are not atgs. I’ve skated both, the tens and the atg’s, and will say there are scenarios for each. I used the lows to get my timing and pop back after loosing 60 lbs at age 40.I made notes on Paul Schmidt’s 9club and went after mellow kick decks with the lows. I regained some basic flip tricks and once they axles, am now on thunders. I loved the tensor lows for what they were, and it was fun to have a super light deck, but I now understand what Ben degross is talking about with them being too light. Not enough weight to flock with.
That grind though. Maybe when flip tricks are done for me, I’ll just skate painted curbs with mag lights. Anyone who hasn’t tried them, just for the grind, should.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2022, 07:59:00 PM »
Only truck I ever snapped the kingpin

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2022, 07:48:46 AM »
Only truck I ever snapped the kingpin

Did they send you a replacement?

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2022, 04:16:21 AM »
Tensor "too light" hack for anyone interested. My neighbor gave me a refined set of 14 gauge stainless steel riser pads. Measuring 2mm tall (smidge over 1/16") and weighing 75 grams per pad.  Brings the the total truck weight to around 351 grams (roughly 10 grams lighter than team thunders). I put a 3mm stainless steel rod into the hollow axle (I'm 225lbs)  and sealed in with gorilla glue, so hopefully can keep the axle a bit stronger. Have the 8.5 ATG mag lights with Krux best bushings. Wish they'd do an 8.75 with solid axle and king pin.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2022, 04:39:58 AM »
Tensor "too light" hack for anyone interested. My neighbor gave me a refined set of 14 gauge stainless steel riser pads. Measuring 2mm tall (smidge over 1/16") and weighing 75 grams per pad.  Brings the the total truck weight to around 351 grams (roughly 10 grams lighter than team thunders). I put a 3mm stainless steel rod into the hollow axle (I'm 225lbs)  and sealed in with gorilla glue, so hopefully can keep the axle a bit stronger. Have the 8.5 ATG mag lights with Krux best bushings. Wish they'd do an 8.75 with solid axle and king pin.

Wow, good work! Enjoy the grind and post back on how the axle holds up

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2022, 05:29:01 AM »
They grind amazing and are incredibly light, but the durability was questionable in my personal experience. I never bent an axle, but I managed to snap a pair. I hit tensor up on IG about it and they sent me a few pairs of the aluminum ones which was awesome of them. Now I just have a pair with the magnesium baseplate + hollow kingpin and regular aluminum hangers which are solid.

The truck itself is great if you like something taller (55m high I think?)

Turn is great, pinch is great, the aluminum ones grind just as good as regular major truck brands. Only issue I had with them was the height gave me a ton of ghost pop with some of the boards I was skating just cause of the angle of the kicks plus the truck being high, but if taller trucks are your jam they're really fucking good imo.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2022, 06:00:54 PM »

How's the reinforced axle working out for you? I had the same idea earlier today and ordered some 3mm titanium rods. If they're too thick I feel like I could spin the rod in a drill chuck and sand it down thinner.

Tensor stopped producing the 8.5 mags in new colorways. Wonder if they're phasing them out as the longer axles are more susceptible to bending. They're also on sale for $51 at Tactics right now.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2022, 08:01:02 PM »

You know you could just get alloys for like $25 right? They're around 370g and are basically the same geometry. I prefer them to aluminum ATGs (which are also literally just a heavier version of the same truck).

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2022, 08:34:56 PM »
You know you could just get alloys for like $25 right? They're around 370g and are basically the same geometry. I prefer them to aluminum ATGs (which are also literally just a heavier version of the same truck).

Sorry, I have to ask for clarification because Tensor's line-up is so confusing.

Are you saying these trucks:

are lighter than these more expensive trucks:
?

It's always been my impression the $25 alloy dollar trucks have much weaker axles, a different geometry, and are meant as "beginner" trucks usually sold on bargain completes. If the 25$ alloys skate like the ATG mags without the axle issue, I'd be stoked.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2022, 10:00:53 PM »
Idk about the weight of the alloys. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are lighter, but they will bend and break easily. As far as same geometry. They are clearly visibly different.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2022, 04:49:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How's the reinforced axle working out for you? I had the same idea earlier today and ordered some 3mm titanium rods. If they're too thick I feel like I could spin the rod in a drill chuck and sand it down thinner.

Tensor stopped producing the 8.5 mags in new colorways. Wonder if they're phasing them out as the longer axles are more susceptible to bending. They're also on sale for $51 at Tactics right now.

I haven't had any issues. I pretty much added the risers and rod to put on weight, with hopes it could reinforce the hollow axles too. Those mag ATG have the best curb grind, but have been back on Indy for a while.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2022, 04:17:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry, I have to ask for clarification because Tensor's line-up is so confusing.

Are you saying these trucks:

are lighter than these more expensive trucks:
?

It's always been my impression the $25 alloy dollar trucks have much weaker axles, a different geometry, and are meant as "beginner" trucks usually sold on bargain completes. If the 25$ alloys skate like the ATG mags without the axle issue, I'd be stoked.

these shits bend like crazy, i know a dude that had an almost complete and one of these trucks bent so much that he started getting wheelbite when riding straight. i've never seen a skated set of tensor alloys that wasn't bent

I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »
Anyone know the update re: new maglights? Recently started skating my maglights more and really enjoying how light they are, but now I can't find 8.5s any more. Was just looking at tactics and it's showing that new trucks are expected between September-November.

For those still rocking the maglights, how are your axles holding up? Based on the replies in here it seems most feel a bent axle is a foregone conclusion with these things.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2022, 04:44:05 PM »
I regularly bounce between my 8.5/8.25 mag lights (currently have the 149s setup…as well as my forged mindys). My only gripe is I find them tall and prefer lower trucks…but whatever they grind amazing.

185lbs slappies, ledges, flat, small gaps/drops.

No bent axles
No cracking plates
No widening of mounting holes any worse than any other truck
No hyperbole

I’m waiting for those bigger sizes to drop.

BevUp, and 9Club rog are skating the 8.75” and 9” maglites, respectively, so my guess is we’ll see them hit pretty soon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:02:43 PM by Xen »

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2022, 04:50:27 PM »
If the new versions of maglites get good reviews and don’t bend, Im in. Oh, Ive bent the axle on two pairs of 8.25 mag lites in the past. I did get a replacement set, but bent em. They pretty much told me that maybe I shouldnt slappy these trucks any more.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »
I regularly bounce between my 8.5/8.25 mag lights (currently have the 149s setup…as well as my forged mindys). My only gripe is I find them tall and prefer lower trucks…but whatever they grind amazing.

185lbs slappies, ledges, flat, small gaps/drops.

No bent axles
No cracking plates
No widening of mounting holes any worse than any other truck
No hyperbole

I’m waiting for those bigger sizes to drop.

BevUp, and 9Club rog are skating the 8.75” and 9” maglites, respectively, so my guess is we’ll see them hit pretty soon.

Thanks for all the info Xen. Your positive comments are the reason I bought a pair of these in the first place. Larger maglights would be a game changer. Can't wait for these bigger sizes.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2022, 06:54:42 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/bevup/?hl=en

He mentions the 8.75s in this vid (and that they fit perfectly over the Ocean park curbs (which 8.75 do) that rog is skating below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx57hPIdBs8&t=313s

Rog mentions he's skating 9" mags in the comments
https://youtu.be/6FgWbL7FlbY