Author Topic: Best Part in Toy Machine’s Good & Evil  (Read 3522 times)

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Re: Best Part in Toy Machine’s Good & Evil
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 03:49:02 PM »
JLay and Ed for me.  JLay's was def the most enjoyable, but Ed's was great too because of the cold open and it was kind of a surprise ripper part since he was already past his prime (sorry Ed, love you)

Ed's gut poking through his shirt while he nosebluntslides and back tails every object in sight was sort of a great send off to his years of filming full parts.  So I guess it's Ed and Diego for me.

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
I watched this during lock down, and even though I grew up more heavily on Suffer The Joy and really liked that video at the time. This is a much better video. Suffer The Joy has aged terribly.

showbobs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »
For that time, Billy Marks with a very close JLay second.

Man they don't make em like they used too.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
Been about ten years since I’ve watched this but Billy Marks part is really gnarly. Doesn’t he do switch biggie heel board slide down a handrail? Mayhem.

Did it down wilshire I think??

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 06:20:14 PM »
Just watched a good chunk of this while writing slowly.

Music supervision and art direction were top notch, especially fitting for the era. Videos and brands from this time will always have a soft spot within me, but I think it works because of its context. I wouldn't have the same expectations from Toy Machine or Zero at current day. Not a dis, but not what my interest is focused on now. I think this is why some legacy brands struggle (also with the changing of the guard which established the brand) and why revamps don't work.

I guess Habitat worked out and I'm hoping Satori will do it right, but there are obvious fails like Blueprint and even successful ones like Plan B and Creature even smell funny. I wasn't there in their heyday but I can see where they at now. Get there while you can. I absolutely loved Ipath but don't need or want to see it come back. I think Quasi is a perfect answer to Alien Workshop.

I loved this era but am more fitting with IDK Polar and Sour as a 30-something. I still love Emerica.

Other notes:
- The flashes/strobes from the sequence photography in the video looked weird.
- Why do I still think of Matt Bennett as the new guy? I also thought he was in the fallen video but no?
- Yeah, J Lay's part was the best.
- I wish videos still had a post-credits montage scored to Belle and Sebastian and I still lived at home and had all my pets with me.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »
Johnny hands down, the beginning section with the piano intro makes it in my eyes. I remember having the impression that, "Holy shit, that kid that rode for Role Model got really fucking good!"

Honorable mention: Billy Marks.

It's hard to understand for today's youth, but Billy had been having tons of mind blowing coverage in like the year preceding the video & this was like his "coming out party". In those days too, you didn't see everything somebody could possibly do on a skateboard at a skate park via social media, so to see the shit he had under wraps was just fucked up.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2021, 07:50:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Ed wanted to make a "video of the year" type video. Does anyone remember this or if they were actually able to pull it off?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »
I watched this during lock down, and even though I grew up more heavily on Suffer The Joy and really liked that video at the time. This is a much better video. Suffer The Joy has aged terribly.

Please elaborate on your answer. Not rewatched the rest of STJ aside from JLay and Trapasso's part.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 08:58:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please elaborate on your answer. Not rewatched the rest of STJ aside from JLay and Trapasso's part.

I just think they took the piss with that one. 8 guys on the team, with only 2 of them of having parts longer than 3 mins, with 1/3 of the video being credits/outro. Skating just felt cheap in the video too bar Nick Trapasso and JLay's part. It honestly felt like a video of footage that wasn't used for the KOTR DVD.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
I liked Josh Harmony's part.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

doublesteveburger

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
I took a shower, ate some food, then came back to the computer still playing skate videos. Good and Evil ended and That's Life was halfway through when I sat back down. Perfect timing. I think I found the best worst push.

https://youtu.be/KJONeJdKbiQ?t=2537

SharkJohnson

• Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:40 PM »
nick trapasso

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 04:17:22 AM »
Johnny Layton forsure. While id say Billys part was at a much higher level skill wise, Jlays casual destruction throwing nollie bs flips in lines to rails just looks so fucking good.

Billy bigshoes looking goofy

Icandoflamingoes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
J LAY ALL DAY, then billy

Just after this came out when I was a youngster at a demo in Australia mr Layton gave me his wheels when he saw my set up, and to add to someone’s Matt Bennett’s stoner props, both he and billy looked comatose before the demo then absolutely destroyed everything in sight. Seeing how stoned they were before made it all the more impressive.

Icandoflamingoes

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
Also I remember being like “how did you do sw big heel board?” To which billy marks simply shrugged and said “eh I got lucky”.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »
Waittttt, wait, wait.

Is this the vid where Nick Trapasso skates to sleepwalking in his pajama pants?

If so, I retract my previous post and would like to now dethrone Billy Marks cause Nick was on some shit in that part.

If not, carry on.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Icandoflamingoes

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
Did good and evil give the world th Bennett grind? Was there earlier ones?

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:30 AM »
Trapasso's Sleepwalk part is in Suffer the Joy, and yes it is better than all the G&E parts, hasn't aged a day

G&E was a weird time in skate fashion. Billy Marks hasn't changed, just the times
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:53:28 AM by exlurker »

sultsult

• Rep: -12
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »
Butcher and Bennett. Bennett looks weird as hell but looks the best on the rails. Layton still has am style in this part, he didn't appeal to me until he got a bit fat. Also, someone should've told Josh Harmony to lose the boxers, really distracting.

Overall this is a weird era of skating, right about the time I mostly quit to do drugs and play guitar.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »

Music supervision and art direction were top notch, especially fitting for the era. Videos and brands from this time will always have a soft spot within me, but I think it works because of its context. I wouldn't have the same expectations from Toy Machine or Zero at current day. Not a dis, but not what my interest is focused on now. I think this is why some legacy brands struggle (also with the changing of the guard which established the brand) and why revamps don't work.

I guess Habitat worked out and I'm hoping Satori will do it right, but there are obvious fails like Blueprint and even successful ones like Plan B and Creature even smell funny. I wasn't there in their heyday but I can see where they at now. Get there while you can. I absolutely loved Ipath but don't need or want to see it come back. I think Quasi is a perfect answer to Alien Workshop.

I loved this era but am more fitting with IDK Polar and Sour as a 30-something. I still love Emerica.

Other notes:
- Why do I still think of Matt Bennett as the new guy? I also thought he was in the fallen video but no?
- I wish videos still had a post-credits montage scored to Belle and Sebastian and I still lived at home and had all my pets with me.

I think he is but he doesn't have a part, just a few clips if I remember correctly in Harmony's part

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 02:35:35 PM »
Roberto Aleman had best part
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2021, 02:43:05 PM »
Jlay, runner up sing sang sung.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote

Other notes:
[close]

I think he is but he doesn't have a part, just a few clips if I remember correctly in Harmony's part

Bennett definitely has a full part.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2021, 04:12:50 PM »
I think I like JLay's part the best, but Billy was on some crazy shit back then. I think his second song works really well too.

I forgot how sick Bennett's part is. Wasn't a huge fan of his back in the day, but I really enjoyed rewatching his part.

Forgot about the Spanish Iron Maiden for Diego's part.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Other notes:
[close]

[close]

Bennett definitely has a full part.

I’m talking about the Fallen video, not Good and Evil

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:23 PM »
Watching it again this morning, Jiay unquestionably has the best part. Also noticed how ugly the old Ed Templeton Emericas looked. Also, Ladytron is such a wack song for a video part.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way

deathturd

• Rep: 87
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2021, 09:49:23 PM »
The three pages of DVD bonus content

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »
The three pages of DVD bonus content

Just avoid the Austin Stephens injury clip, I'm scarred for life
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m