Author Topic: Why are they making six hole trucks again?  (Read 4208 times)

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Why are they making six hole trucks again?
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:03:55 PM »
Indy currently has a couple trucks that have both the standard and old school drillings (6 holes total). Why? Didn't we figure it out in the 90s that if you drill the holes back further you won't ruin your bolts on nose slides? Are there really that many people setting up old school boards with the old bolt pattern that require 6 hole baseplates? Does anybody actually care about nerdy shit like this other than me?

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why are they making six hole trucks again?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »
If everyone started skating ace or thunder/venture indy would become a tshirt company at pacsun like rip and dip or Hurley

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:31:46 AM »
Indy currently has a couple trucks that have both the standard and old school drillings (6 holes total). Why? Didn't we figure it out in the 90s that if you drill the holes back further you won't ruin your bolts on nose slides? Are there really that many people setting up old school boards with the old bolt pattern that require 6 hole baseplates? Does anybody actually care about nerdy shit like this other than me?

I think it’s just that we choose to ignore it.

I don’t run indys, there for I don’t care.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:32:08 AM »
159/169/215 have always had six holes. You're late to the game with just figuring this out. Reissue/Collector/Shaped Deck market is huge so you need six hole trucks to set up a lot of these decks. Weird one to get your panties in a wad over.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
wow pretty damming evidence here

how will indy ever recovery?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
I don't really see what the big deal is, they make the trucks lighter which is a plus in my book. If you really don't want them and don't want to switch to any other truck company just swap out the baseplates for ones from Indys size 149 and smaller

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
If everyone started skating ace or thunder/venture indy would become a tshirt company at pacsun like rip and dip or Hurley

But Indy makes better trucks than all of the above.

Venture makes better soft goods than trucks.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »

retro stuff is huge

get a clue

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
On the bright side it’s a tiny bit of weight reduction

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »

My understanding about the recent shake-ups with long-time pros at Indy is that, amongst other things, the new ownership of Independent wanted to turn the whole thing into a "lifestyle" brand in the same way Thrasher had managed to become *haute couture*.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
Most of truck brands that were around when they used the wide holes on decks still have six holes on some models; Gullwing, indy, tracker. Kinda wish venture had a six hole plate like they used to.

ill take all the holes i can get

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Rep: 31
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

retro stuff is huge

get a clue

Yeah I know, but I don't understand why anyone would continue to use the old bolt pattern on a reissued or old school style board. What's the advantage? The only thing I could think of is that having the bolts spaced slightly further apart makes for a more stable truck interface, but it seems like it would be pretty minimal. And I guess you could use old trucks with the old bolt pattern, but it seems like very few people would be doing that.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

retro stuff is huge

get a clue
[close]

Yeah I know, but I don't understand why anyone would continue to use the old bolt pattern on a reissued or old school style board. What's the advantage? The only thing I could think of is that having the bolts spaced slightly further apart makes for a more stable truck interface, but it seems like it would be pretty minimal. And I guess you could use old trucks with the old bolt pattern, but it seems like very few people would be doing that.

Makes it an exact replica of the original

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 06:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote

ill take all the holes i can get
[close]

8 hole.

https://www.fullcircledistribution.com/collections/trucks/products/caliber-standard-8-5-raw-silver-trucks

Haha the pivot looks like someone fucked up the loft feature when they were designing these on solidworks.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

retro stuff is huge

get a clue
[close]

You're at the mercy of manufacturers if you're into retro gear. Most of them use the current hole pattern but every once in a while somebody uses the old school pattern. Boom you just bought a wall hanger even if you didn't mean to. With 6 holes, your covered. It's been pointed out but it's not an accident that they come on trucks 159 and up in size. For the record, I bought 169 Tits and was bummed that forged plates only have current bolt hole patterns.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
less weight yo.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 08:56:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

retro stuff is huge

get a clue
[close]

there is no advantage. but the retro guys are crazy and basically demand the stuff is all exact OG replica. if you check out their forums (don't) half the old posts are about "why can't I get trucks with the old hole pattern??" most of the reissues are with the new hole pattern but sometimes the manufacturers are like "here's the REAL OG sims hang 10 cement surfer with the old holes " and charge more for it...   but also there is (or was) a surprising amount of NOS or hardly used old boards out there with the old holes. like a real, 40 year old board will have the old holes

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 12:06:17 AM »
I tried drilling old style front holes on modern Indys using old Stage 7 baseplates as a jig. It's more difficult than it seems, especially if you're using a hand drill. In hindsight, drilling new school holes in the deck would have been easier.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:43 AM »
Just ride Aces.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2154
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My understanding about the recent shake-ups with long-time pros at Indy is that, amongst other things, the new ownership of Independent wanted to turn the whole thing into a "lifestyle" brand in the same way Thrasher had managed to become *haute couture*.
I might be wrong, but last time I checked Indy was still owned by Novak, Haut, & Shuirman Inc.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

retro stuff is huge

get a clue
[close]

[close]

I mean... not really.
The original (whatever they’re repro-ing this month) set ups were not likely running Indy stage 11s, but at least with those 215s, you can nail down a certain chunk of the mid 80s fairly well.
Still, I take your point. And at least from the top, you can get that look/feel.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 11:57:35 PM »

Haha the pivot looks like someone fucked up the loft feature when they were designing these on solidworks.
Hahahaha I didn't ever think I'd read a Solidworks feature on slap. Would gnar. They probably mirrored the holes.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 12:11:14 AM »
I forgot all about that time when boards came with 12 holes instead of six. Cant find a picture so I will leave this here instead. I was the only skateboarder in my high school and had a Frankie Hill sweater with the dog.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 02:26:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hahahaha I didn't ever think I'd read a Solidworks feature on slap. Would gnar. They probably mirrored the holes.

8 holes actually make sense, because you can adjust your wheelbase with 8 holes.

6 holes makes no sense to me.

ManimalChin

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
Quote from: Manimal Chin
Expand Quote
[close]
I mean... not really.
The original (whatever they’re repro-ing this month) set ups were not likely running Indy stage 11s, but at least with those 215s, you can nail down a certain chunk of the mid 80s fairly well.
Still, I take your point. And at least from the top, you can get that look/feel.

I run all my reissues with NOS Gullwings and Trackers that are still floating around in shops and online. I think there are enough reissues with original 2.5 inch truck holes to answer OP's question, though.

ManimalChin

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »
8 holes actually make sense, because you can adjust your wheelbase with 8 holes.

6 holes makes no sense to me.

Trucks usually outlast boards, and you can use a 6 hole baseplate on both old and new school truck holes.

You don't need extra holes in your baseplate for decks with adjustable wheelbases. If you were just using different holes, the baseplate wouldn't move and your wheelbase wouldn't change.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »

Some reissuse decks like Powell Peralta only come with the old school bolt patterns. This is why Indy 109/159/169/215s come with a 6 hole baseplate while the other ones only come with 4 holes.