Author Topic: Pre-Built Completes  (Read 706 times)

cant kickflip but can tre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Pre-Built Completes
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
I was watching Andrew Cannon skate a cruiser complete from Santa Cruz and started wondering how the provided trucks are. Do they turn or grind like Indy's since they're in the same distribution? That's when I wondered: When was the last time you had a pre-built complete? Picking your own parts and having it built does not count. The manufacturer/shop has to already have the parts provided

The last time I had a pre-built complete was my first "real" board from a shop about 9 years ago. It was a 7.5 Santa Cruz (white dip with screaming hand logo), Venture trucks, and some generic brands for the rest of the parts
Would be interesting to hear when your last pre-built complete was and how the generic brand components performed
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:41:36 PM by cant kickflip but can tre »

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Pre-Built Completes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »
My 1st real set-up was a Santa Cruz Jammer, with Indy trucks, road ripper wheels. Got it after my brother and I shared a free former. Damn, I'm showing my age...
https://images.app.goo.gl/quhRCLMUSRtKSvBv8
The one I had, had raw trucks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
The only pre-built complete I ever got was a Zip Zinger 2009. It had the orange ZZ wheels and some Indy stage 10 Kostons, and I got it from Switch in Newark, DE. It ruled. It was the only board I had when I was in grad school and I would try and skate it just like a regular board.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
Premium completes can be really great. I got a G&S surf skate last year, it comes w/ rollerskate trucks and soft wheels. I love that it was all carefully spec'd to ride a certain way. Obviously putting together your own board is fun, but sometimes it's nice to just have all the right stuff put together from the start. I would impulse buy a 90's football complete if I saw a dope one.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
Premium completes can be really great. I got a G&S surf skate last year, it comes w/ rollerskate trucks and soft wheels. I love that it was all carefully spec'd to ride a certain way. Obviously putting together your own board is fun, but sometimes it's nice to just have all the right stuff put together from the start. I would impulse buy a 90's football complete if I saw a dope one.

Edit: JFC, now I want one of those Surf Skates.

I always regret not buying this one from Library:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9cJZmjl_nA/

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
I definitely would have bought that too! Gear obsessed bored shop people should definitely be building dope completes.

Expand Quote
[close]

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »
Got one last year with birdhouse board, wheels, generic bearings and birdhouse branded trucks. Lasted a a few mo ths while I worked my way back into skating no problems. Only stopped riding the trucks cause I sized up board size

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
I started off with a Zero complete back in 07, 7.75 Zero deck with Monster trucks and black Zero wheels. Deck and wheels were good, the trucks were decent but mid/high trucks were uncommon at the time so I got Silvers so I can fit in with my colorful low trucks lol.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 01:47:14 PM »
My first pre-built complete was a Veriflex Jack the Ripper. Fast-forward 33 years or so and I had just moved across the country when I got desperately sick and was unable to work for a few months. Around this same time, I inadvertently left the passenger window of my car open, and someone stole my only skateboard at the time. I was bummed, but because I was sick I wasn't skating, and because I wasn't working, I had been broke.

One day, out of nowhere, there is a box from Skate Warehouse, and inside is a Filipe Ortiz complete with Indy 139s, Mini Logo wheels, generic everything else - a gift from my brother, who knew I was super bummed not to be able to skate. It was rad, and it was after that that I really started to skate again in earnest, having more or less put the skateboard aside in favor of bike racing for most of my 20s.

Now I post on Slap, so obviously this whole thing was a mistake.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:02 PM »
My girlfriend bought a prebuilt deathwish complete board about a year ago (I didn't know). Deathwish trucks and everything. I was actually really impressed, wheels felt kinda soft but ok and the trucks turned nicely.

The funny thing is she (110 pounds) actually broke a truck after a few months by trying to ollie up a curb.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »
Prebuilt completes suck half the time cuz they always come with some sort of generic no name trucks that don’t turn or grind worth a damn and some generic no name bearings that end up going to shit pretty quickly. My local does prebuilt completes with ventures or thunders for the trucks and their shop bearings and shop wheels, which I feel does the job just fine. Haven’t had a prebuilt complete in more than a decade and a half though. Last one I had was a Pigwood complete with blank trucks that I swapped out for indys. Everything else that came with it tho (pig wheels and pig abec 5 bearings) worked just fine.

ibuproficient

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »
I shouldn’t talk shit since I won it, but this Santa Cruz complete came with Krux trucks that couldn’t be ridden, and look at the wheels!

Every time my son and I cruise around the wheels heat up and get sticky. I thought maybe he rolled through something and it would come off but this is many layers removed.

I’m assuming these are a cheap version of the historical ‘Slime Balls,’ but I would never buy them just because.

The fish shape is cool and my Son loves it, but damn..
-It's a goddamned toy, and you're acting like a child.

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »
I shouldn’t talk shit since I won it, but this Santa Cruz complete came with Krux trucks that couldn’t be ridden, and look at the wheels!

Every time my son and I cruise around the wheels heat up and get sticky. I thought maybe he rolled through something and it would come off but this is many layers removed.

I’m assuming these are a cheap version of the historical ‘Slime Balls,’ but I would never buy them just because.

The fish shape is cool and my Son loves it, but damn..
Shame that a board with an amazing graphic and shape had to be ruined by those wheels. There shouldn't be wheels that are too expensive to swap out with

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 04:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

typical complete bullshit
40mm wheels on high trucks