Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 92379 times)

Ray C. Usery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 179
  • My brother Roy is into music
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1230 on: July 26, 2023, 06:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was there for three hours on Sunday and multiple MTS workers in trucks saw us and said nothing and we never got asked to leave, it’s just luck. I highly doubt it had anything to do with one lacquered section since the sidewalks were already waxed. I don’t know if the job they did was the best but like I said, no one was complaining.

It was always going to get blown out because it’s really easy to figure out where it is based on instagram posts. It’s visible from the trolley, that’s how I found it. It’s just how it is here, too many skaters too few spots. Whenever something new pops up it’s like, gotta skate it before it gets destroyed.
[close]

The dudes in trucks do not care 1 bit. There is a Black security guard who doesn't either. It's 3 different guys that are often partnered together on weekdays that do.

They specifically mentioned they've been there more because "you guys defaced the ground" and pointed to the newly clearcoated sidewalk. They said "a bit of wax melts off but this is too much".

They also mentioned that I was loitering, but quickly asking Google demonstrated that skating doesn't violate any CA loitering laws if you're not obstructing foot or car traffic. Their reply was the large groups they have seen would technically count and that they're going to start issuing citations, but I'd be shocked if the cops came often enough for that to happen. This was within 48hrs of that clearcoat appearing.

I see your point about visibility. When I first moved here a year ago I never saw anyone there and rarely have. I did encounter one team there on a Sunday and they did leave trash at the spot as I was there Monday and all of their shit from where they were parked was on the ground.
[close]
Oh shit well I stand corrected, I didn’t understand that security told you that the lacquer was a problem. Sorry. I will put it out there not to do that.

That spots been in those slappy Sunday guys posts a bunch. Willy just posted from there. But I’ve heard people don’t skate there as much because of security. I agree the trash thing is a problem.
[close]

One morning I was skating there and a swamp monster emerged from the train tracks, hopped the fence, then took a massive steaming dump off the curb onto the pavement lol.
[close]
Dude one time I got there in the evening and there was a shit on the pavement. It smelled so bad I had to give up skating. I wonder if it was the same shit.

You guys always talk about trash being left behind and everytime I go it's clean. I haven't been there since the 16th of this month but there was a MTS cop there and I waved to him as he left and shortly after I saw the maintenance guys come in and I waved to them and let them know that the pump station alarm was going off so they called the number. I've talked to them before because someone here brought up the trash and I asked them to let me know if there is a problem with any of the skaters making a mess and I would put a stop to it. They said no problem with the skaters it's always the tweakers as they called them.

My co-worker's husband is a MTS K9 cop so when I see her I'll ask her to ask her husband what is up

on this topic. today at my spot i noticed someone waxed a part of the curb i never skate. i've skated that part before but not in te last year or so. it has happened before someone waxed. i dont mind it. its a pretty rough curb and can allways use some wax.
but the stange part is my local curb is in the middle of nowhere. theres no skaters here. let alone someone who skates curbs.
it's a mystery.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1231 on: July 26, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »
Ya please do cuz that situation was fucking wack. There's a few transit cops that give zero shits but it's this short stocky dude that makes up reasons to kick me out, a white armed forces reject guy that has literally covered his body cam when approaching me, and another generic dude. These guys all are private security, not MTA. MTA cops wouldn't be so stupid as to not know that MTA is a public entity and thus the area is public property.

I definitely know the stickers are from skaters cuz I've peeled off Slappy's Garage and small shitty brand stickers several times often Monday mornings. It's not endemic or every day, but it does happen.

Frankly I mostly feel sketch after knowing these private goons are both stupid and carry guns. I'm fine with being respectful and leaving when normal cops are there but they literally took detailed photos and videos of both my cars and have claimed, potentially inaccurately, that they have come when they saw me on the security camera right there. Feels weird when solo and I mostly skate there solo from like 6:30-8:30AM

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1232 on: July 27, 2023, 07:16:39 AM »
People leaving trash is more of a general problem, I haven’t seen a ton of trash there lately.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1233 on: July 27, 2023, 07:35:09 AM »
The skatepark grom that grows up not being able to put their trash in the garbage can just goes to the spot and does the same thing.
We have a garage here that sees a ton of use in the winter and the kids just make a mess. I asked this one skater how they would feel if we couldn’t skate there any more and they said “damn it would ruin my life.” I asked if the pile of garbage was theirs and they said it was from a group of friends that just left. They kind of looked at it and skated off and did nothing.
Weird mindset.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1234 on: July 28, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
A lot of kids know what’s up and I know it’s frustrating but I’ve accepted a) if the spot gets fucked up….it gets fucked up….. b) I can always selflessly clean it up……

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1235 on: July 29, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »
Could someone post the measurements of the "official" California red curb? Heigh from ground and width of top side mainly. I guess the front wall is slightly slanted as well?

biaherl

• Rep: 271
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1236 on: July 30, 2023, 02:29:42 PM »
Could someone post the measurements of the "official" California red curb? Heigh from ground and width of top side mainly. I guess the front wall is slightly slanted as well?

If you can't wait a week for me to give you the measurements then I would contact H&D construction in El Cajon. Their concert curb extrusion machine (Play-Doh Factory on wheels) makes the best curbs in the world. If you see an H&D stamped on the curb then you will have the best time

http://www.concretehd.com

They did the curbs at my work but I haven't skated these one yet

They just sit there and mock me all day, but one day, one day

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1237 on: July 30, 2023, 02:58:52 PM »
^That was exactly the kinda specificity I was hoping for. The part of SoCal I live in is mostly falling apart so the curbs are all different shapes and sizes. Still got a lot of them that are painted red though.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1238 on: July 30, 2023, 08:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you can't wait a week for me to give you the measurements then I would contact H&D construction in El Cajon. Their concert curb extrusion machine (Play-Doh Factory on wheels) makes the best curbs in the world. If you see an H&D stamped on the curb then you will have the best time

Thanks!

This looks super fun!

I think the angle is more slanted than what I've skated while traveling in both SoCal and NoCal, didn't check the stamps though, maybe the angle is adjustable in the machine?

My motivation for this is to build a mold for pouring my own. Have done it before but usually improvised. This time I'd like to clone the original red curb as closely as possible :)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1239 on: July 30, 2023, 10:35:12 PM »
That's just a sick bank spot

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #1240 on: July 31, 2023, 02:46:26 AM »
I kinda hate those slanted curbs. A tiny angle is fine, but curbs like these don't feel like doing a trick anymore. The only times I was able to do slappy feebles and crooks was on a similair, unpainted curb, but they felt like I was cheating. I might be prejudiced as a European with very limited acces to these kinda shaped curbs, but they kinda take the fun out of it for me.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1241 on: July 31, 2023, 04:31:58 AM »
I learned slappies on granite, now spent many months on a concrete curb. Now I really struggle with the granite.

Also: Trucks eat concrete, granite eats trucks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1242 on: July 31, 2023, 06:28:52 AM »

This is the curb shape I had in mind. Very popular in Bay Area I think.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1243 on: August 06, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »

New spot @ abandoned super market. Gonna be a Halloween store so I have plenty of time to skate it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1244 on: August 06, 2023, 03:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks!

Expand Quote

[close]

This looks super fun!

I think the angle is more slanted than what I've skated while traveling in both SoCal and NoCal, didn't check the stamps though, maybe the angle is adjustable in the machine?

My motivation for this is to build a mold for pouring my own. Have done it before but usually improvised. This time I'd like to clone the original red curb as closely as possible :)

I’m sorry but I couldn’t let that angled abomination stand. I’m sure it’s fun to skate but not an official california red. I measured my usual spot and came up with 5-1/4” tall, 6” across the top, and approximately 82 degrees on the side (had to use my iPhone to measure the angle so take that with a grain of salt).

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
« Reply #1245 on: August 06, 2023, 08:58:45 PM »
on this topic. today at my spot i noticed someone waxed a part of the curb i never skate. i've skated that part before but not in te last year or so. it has happened before someone waxed. i dont mind it. its a pretty rough curb and can allways use some wax.
but the stange part is my local curb is in the middle of nowhere. theres no skaters here. let alone someone who skates curbs.
it's a mystery.

I’m getting this at one I hit if I have to take my kid to the doctor.

I’ve never seen anyone there except a junkie that was living there and tries skate stopping it with gravel. He’s gone but curbs slick and there’s more gravel spread the few times I go to it.
It’s a world wide phenomenon apparently.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1246 on: August 06, 2023, 10:39:03 PM »
I’m sorry but I couldn’t let that angled abomination stand. I’m sure it’s fun to skate but not an official california red. I measured my usual spot and came up with 5-1/4” tall, 6” across the top, and approximately 82 degrees on the side (had to use my iPhone to measure the angle so take that with a grain of salt).

Thanks a lot! Let's see when I have time to construct the mold...

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
« Reply #1247 on: August 20, 2023, 12:32:50 AM »
Anyone got tips on front dog piss(front slap with only the front foot on for the whole thing) slaps? Can get into them without a problem but staying on top of it and then trying to ride out is escaping me.

Bueller?

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1248 on: August 20, 2023, 12:58:12 AM »
Shoutouts to El Cajon and that construction company. I will have to peep those next time I visit my dad

Heshrat

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1249 on: October 04, 2023, 08:02:08 PM »
Slappy backside feebles are such a fun trick to hold and grind, but my god is it difficult to remind yourself to turn out of them at the end lol
I did your mom

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2023, 08:19:38 PM »
Extremely jealous of all these red curbs, but this is my new spot. Idk who put this out here or when but if you see this and it was you, thank you. https://ibb.co/HpcJ4px

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #1251 on: October 04, 2023, 10:35:52 PM »
You know what we gotta see on that right?  How about an Antonio Durao inspired switch tre nose blunt?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #1252 on: October 05, 2023, 07:36:48 AM »
Extremely jealous of all these red curbs, but this is my new spot. Idk who put this out here or when but if you see this and it was you, thank you. https://ibb.co/HpcJ4px

i believe i saw eastcoastcurbkillers on instagram skating that spot

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #1253 on: October 05, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is this the curb at the new spot in Raleigh? Pretty sure my buddy’s been sending me clips from there.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1254 on: October 05, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

could you post it? I don’t have ig

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1255 on: October 05, 2023, 09:47:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is this the curb at the new spot in Raleigh? Pretty sure my buddy’s been sending me clips from there.
it’s in raleigh yeah. As for the new spot, I have no idea, there’s a few popping up. This one seemed like it’s been there for a while, I took a wrong turn leaving petsmart and saw this and I’ve skated it every day and have never seen or skated it with anyone. Would be cool to know the history of it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1256 on: October 05, 2023, 11:38:32 AM »

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1257 on: October 08, 2023, 02:11:12 PM »
You know what we gotta see on that right?  How about an Antonio Durao inspired switch tre nose blunt?
okay so I’m here right now and tried doing that. Switch tres are my kryptonite as is, so I didn’t come anywhere close. I can post a video trying one if you want.

Also if anyone in the RDU ever skates this spot or wants to, let me know. I’m here almost everyday around 2-4

lewisnewton

« Reply #1258 on: October 15, 2023, 06:53:26 PM »
Anybody know of any good slappy spots in Austin,TX?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1259 on: October 16, 2023, 03:49:28 AM »
To the discussion above about the correct angle, maybe you came to the conclusion there is no official angle.
i saw a ben de gros video and i believe he said he built his home curb at 10 deg (but i sadly cant find it again)