Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88868 times)

3D X-Ray Vision

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2022, 06:08:25 PM »
Double siders are way more fun, there's a lot of skaters in my town though so that shit gets the stoppers put on it real quick. Long bs and fs boardslides are my favorite so I'm always lookin for em

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #751 on: June 20, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »

For whatever reason I can't take this straight to tail yet, I have to do the step out. Working on it though.

Jaydd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #752 on: June 20, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »
Last week the FS5050 slappys started to work. I think I finally figured out the weight balance and just went for it.  Locked into a bs crook and will start working on those more. I also started getting on top of the bs 5050 because I always felt like it was leaning to far toe side.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #753 on: June 20, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »

For whatever reason I can't take this straight to tail yet, I have to do the step out. Working on it though.
Just started working these out the other day. Landed a few, but boy were mine ugly compared to yours.
Gimme time: I may be 50, but I still skate like a 49 year old. I’ll get ‘em locked & slid proper, soon enough (inshallah.)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #754 on: June 20, 2022, 05:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Just started working these out the other day. Landed a few, but boy were mine ugly compared to yours.
Gimme time: I may be 50, but I still skate like a 49 year old. I’ll get ‘em locked & slid proper, soon enough (inshallah.)
“Learned” those a few months ago and I’m in the same boat as Lou Strux. Maybe even worse off. No matter how fast I go once I step off to push into tail I just loose all speed and slide a couple inches or just stall. It’s maddening. They’re actually easier going w/o the step off. Just remember to turn your head and your shoulders will follow, which results in going to tail slide pretty much every time.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #755 on: June 20, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
“Learned” those a few months ago and I’m in the same boat as Lou Strux. Maybe even worse off. No matter how fast I go once I step off to push into tail I just loose all speed and slide a couple inches or just stall. It’s maddening. They’re actually easier going w/o the step off. Just remember to turn your head and your shoulders will follow, which results in going to tail slide pretty much every time.

Yeah you really have to push the board out in front of you and then catch up to it. They way I do them it's basically two steps, most of the slide happens at the step off and I push the tail out in front of me, then when i bring my front foot back to the board it's to push off the curb and land. I want to learn to slide further after bringing my front foot back on.

For whatever reason, opening my body frontside just really freaks me out and feels unnatural, it's one of the reasons I can't really do noseslides. that 90 degree turn to my left has always been a problem for me. Definitely need to keep working on the 50 to tailslide without stepping off though

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #756 on: June 20, 2022, 09:22:16 PM »
I do the same but all the slide basically stops as soon as my front foot is back on. I’m guessing I’m not pushing hard enough. Yours looks like you still have a good slide even after your fronts back on.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #757 on: June 21, 2022, 04:14:19 AM »
Any tips for front 5050? I can’t get my back truck onto the curb. They always just go straight into a Willie grind

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #758 on: June 21, 2022, 04:25:26 AM »
Any tips for front 5050? I can’t get my back truck onto the curb. They always just go straight into a Willie grind

Make sure to bend the knees before hitting the curb and straighten them only as you smash into it, with a slight turning movement of the hip (like Shakira or Beyonce lol).

Also the right angle is important. For front 50-50 I come at almost 90 degrees. This might sound strange logically, but it will catapult your front truck onto the curb with more force than coming at a low angle, so that the back truck will be lifted automatically and all you have to do is slightly pivot (hips!) mid „air“ to get it in the right position on the curb.

Not sure that made sense.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #759 on: June 21, 2022, 04:59:21 AM »

^^^  Completely agree.

The other thing I would say is find the right curb to learn them on too.  Sure you could just try on anything or your usual spot, but I found a lower curb was so much easier to get the feel for it, which then was a lot easier to take to a taller (normal) curb elsewhere.

I guess some people don't have the luxury of finding all sorts of curbs of different heights or angles, but keep an eye out and you might be surprised by what you find.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #760 on: June 21, 2022, 05:16:27 AM »

Biggest thing that helped frontside slappies click for me was putting my feet in the pockets instead of over the bolts. 

I think the wider stance helps you get more leverage and having your front foot in the pocket specifically seems to allow the board to suck up onto the curb easier. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:43:27 AM by big_kev_215 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #761 on: June 21, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »
Tighten your trucks…..get copers…..

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #762 on: June 21, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
Loosen your trucks…. Rub brick, Salba sauce, and wax the earth….
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #763 on: June 21, 2022, 09:46:07 PM »

I learned and then forgot how to do FS slappies. After rewatching this video a few times, it really helped me get them under control. The key for me is good speed, getting low and exploding upwards as my rear truck hits.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #764 on: June 22, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »
Loosen your trucks…. Rub brick, Salba sauce, and wax the earth….

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #765 on: June 22, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »
Finally landed a slappy crook… to fakie after weeks of trying. It wasn’t pretty but I’m stoked.

I found foot placement on the nose makes a massive difference for me, I had it way too far forward and kept getting stuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #766 on: June 22, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
Front foot: heelside pocket, back foot toe side pocket? 

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #767 on: June 22, 2022, 01:14:31 PM »

For FS, both feet in a gentle heel pocket. Not too much. Leave some balance on the bolts.
For BS, front foot bolts, back foot gentle toe-side pocket.

Never ever ever wheelie or mini-pop onto the curb, ever.

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #768 on: June 22, 2022, 02:50:23 PM »

More or less, yes. They need work though, I only landed 1 out of about 30 haha

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #769 on: June 22, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For FS, both feet in a gentle heel pocket. Not too much. Leave some balance on the bolts.

How about don’t slappy period….learn back tails on ledges….

Honestly, I think do whatever you have to do, but strive to do better….that’s it.  Skateboarding pretty much didn’t allow slappys for like 20 years so no need to get all privileged and snobby about it. 

I wanna see a vid of all the unnecessary but totally necessary pre carving requires to do this trick…

cky enthusiast

« Reply #770 on: June 22, 2022, 03:51:15 PM »
damn son why you so torqued about slappies

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: June 22, 2022, 05:31:37 PM »
Didn’t get to pet the dog.
Just out of curiosity, what 20 years were slappies not done @j….soy….?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: June 22, 2022, 06:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How about don’t slappy period….learn back tails on ledges….

Honestly, I think do whatever you have to do, but strive to do better….that’s it.  Skateboarding pretty much didn’t allow slappys for like 20 years so no need to get all privileged and snobby about it. 

I wanna see a vid of all the unnecessary but totally necessary pre carving requires to do this trick…

I failed to mention that I was speaking strictly in the context of technique for learning a basic slappy, like a 5050. So I could see why that came off as snobby. But for real, I’ve seen the instinctive wheelie cause many talented skaters to have a curb meltdown. Generally, no rules, no fear, no credit, bad credit, so what!?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #773 on: June 22, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »
No snobbery detected, simply facts.

How about learn slappies and back tails on ledges if you want to? Slappies are fun as hell and nobody should deny themselves that pleasure.

Either way... listen to those that know...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #774 on: June 22, 2022, 07:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Didn’t get to pet the dog.
Just out of curiosity, what 20 years were slappies not done @J….soy….?

In the early 2000s, the older boys yelled at me until I ollied into slides and grinds. I, too, didn’t get to pet the dog.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #775 on: June 22, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
That’s okay. In the 90s I never knew you didn’t have to ollie into krookeds. I do know that around where I was slappies we’re always being done. Hell. Winsor was being towed in and towing people in on a motorcycle to do them.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #776 on: June 23, 2022, 07:55:48 AM »
yes if you have the tight trucks you can go into the 2 wheel much easier. if they are too loose you will wheelbite before you get up there. also hard wheels allows you do slide into it from the angle easier. i just lift the nose and tail in the pockets i dont really care if its not "proper" slappy either, its fun. instead of lifting the board up from the sides, you are lifting it from the front and back.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: June 23, 2022, 02:49:39 PM »
That’s what I’m talking about…..

Ok…what about this idea….like a tensor bumper, but combo it up with a riser….like a reverse lapper so you can just ride right in….

cky enthusiast

« Reply #778 on: June 23, 2022, 09:11:54 PM »

Ok…what about this idea….like a tensor bumper, but combo it up with a riser….like a reverse lapper so you can just ride right in….

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: June 24, 2022, 07:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It would be like an upside down cattle guard… those pointy front parts of some trains.