Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 87679 times)

Knee Pain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »
Damn, slappy crooks are so hard to get consistent. Just when I think I’ve got them, I lose them again  :'(

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #811 on: July 13, 2022, 11:05:16 PM »
Finally feel like I have fs 50’s down now after a few weeks of working on them. Took some advice on here with hitting it almost head on and having my front foot up a bit higher in the pocket, Definitely worked for me. Lessing up the angle I’m hitting the curb now and getting longer grinds. Onto smiths now

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cf8wDoGDoVt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

djoekr

• Rep: 293
« Reply #812 on: July 17, 2022, 02:42:22 PM »
I have finally found a slanted curb. It grinds really well and it's so easy to get into, but it absolutely destroys my trucks. The concrete is not that rough but it has a sharp edge that really digs into the hanger.

This weird groove in the middle was the result of about 20 grinds. I'm gonna bring a set of trucks that are almost done for and finish them off there in the hope that the grinds make the edge a bit more rounded.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2022, 03:16:40 PM »
Learned a new but relatively easy curb trick. Nollie lipslide shuv.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFxcT8gGOu/

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #814 on: July 17, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »
Sick!! ☝🏽

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #815 on: July 17, 2022, 05:07:33 PM »
Finally feel like I have fs 50’s down now after a few weeks of working on them. Took some advice on here with hitting it almost head on and having my front foot up a bit higher in the pocket, Definitely worked for me. Lessing up the angle I’m hitting the curb now and getting longer grinds. Onto smiths now

Hell yeah man. I'm a firm believer that if you can slappy fs 50, you can Smith no problem. Over rotating your shoulders is the key imo.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #816 on: July 17, 2022, 07:57:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell yeah man. I'm a firm believer that if you can slappy fs 50, you can Smith no problem. Over rotating your shoulders is the key imo.
I still cant get the fs slappy dialed on a regular curb but got a few on the slappy curb at the diy over the weekend

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgHW4RNAHWo/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #817 on: July 18, 2022, 05:27:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah sick will try that out, hoping for a break in the weather this week to get a session in and start trying. Will report back

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #818 on: July 18, 2022, 05:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I still cant get the fs slappy dialed on a regular curb but got a few on the slappy curb at the diy over the weekend

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgHW4RNAHWo/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Hell yeah!. That diy looks super fun too

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #819 on: July 18, 2022, 06:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did a smith by accident the other day, felt amazing.

Obviously couldn’t do another when I actually tried.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #820 on: July 18, 2022, 07:46:49 AM »
I have finally found a slanted curb. It grinds really well and it's so easy to get into, but it absolutely destroys my trucks. The concrete is not that rough but it has a sharp edge that really digs into the hanger.

This weird groove in the middle was the result of about 20 grinds. I'm gonna bring a set of trucks that are almost done for and finish them off there in the hope that the grinds make the edge a bit more rounded.

i have heard thunders dont last but that does seem a bit excessive

djoekr

« Reply #821 on: July 18, 2022, 08:03:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're Indy's though, Forged Hollow to be specific. Sucks because the spot is in a nice area, but at this rate I'm gonna be buying new trucks every couple of weeks.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2022, 08:09:17 AM »
oh my bad i just dyslexic
if you can really brick the curb to make it really smooth it will save your trucks big time

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #823 on: July 18, 2022, 10:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They're Indy's though, Forged Hollow to be specific. Sucks because the spot is in a nice area, but at this rate I'm gonna be buying new trucks every couple of weeks.
pretty sure it will stop once its skated in better. it needs that layer or wax and metal to really soak into it and then its good to go.
i had it skating in m curb. the trucks went from almost new to the axle in a month. now those and my other set both wear way slower since its skate it.

if youre talking bout the type of curb i think you are. its kinda unnavoidable to get that weird middle of the truck groove tho. but the last couple sessions i had on my old curb with the newer trucks it didnt happen.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #824 on: July 18, 2022, 10:43:54 AM »
i have indy forged hollows, i have skated a lot of bullshit but mostly just grinding the fuck out of curbs every day since March, they dont have any deep cuts like that. the curbs i skate must be a lot more rounded.

Back Truck:

Front Truck:

cant say these are grinded down

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #825 on: July 18, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
I've already blasted this turd out to the denizens of The Ranch, but since we're talking curbs & slappies up in this thread...
Here's a barely wrangled FS 50 with a brief stop-over in BS boardskid territory before moving on to throw out the wrong hand sign on the way to the exit.
https://vimeo.com/731036374
I'm blowing it all over the place here, but the water bottle camera operator was gassing me up with a bunch of woops and yews, so there it is.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #826 on: July 18, 2022, 11:10:11 AM »
I've already blasted this turd out to the denizens of The Ranch, but since we're talking curbs & slappies up in this thread...
Here's a barely wrangled FS 50 with a brief stop-over in BS boardskid territory before moving on to throw out the wrong hand sign on the way to the exit.
https://vimeo.com/731036374
I'm blowing it all over the place here, but the water bottle camera operator was gassing me up with a bunch of woops and yews, so there it is.
damn i gotta find a spot where i can try this now..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #827 on: July 18, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
nice reeboks bud !

djoekr

« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2022, 12:36:19 PM »
Reebok Club C's are the shit. Some shoe goo on the stitching and they're the most durable skate shoe I've ever skated.

i have indy forged hollows, i have skated a lot of bullshit but mostly just grinding the fuck out of curbs every day since March, they dont have any deep cuts like that. the curbs i skate must be a lot more rounded.

It's definitely the sharp angle that's causing that weird cut, I'm gonna destroy a pair of old trucks on it to really grind it down and then hope it's better. If not, I'll definitely hit it with a rub brick.

@disclosed

This is the curb I'm talking about. I hit it with a quick layer of wax after taking the pic. Seems really easy to get into feebles, at least way easier than the straight curb I normally skate. I can also dig it out so I can hang my trucks over it for feebles, board- and lipslides. Seems like a fun spot but I'll have to prep it better or else I'm gonna be buying new trucks every month.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #829 on: July 18, 2022, 09:45:46 PM »
Seems like a fun spot but I'll have to prep it better or else I'm gonna be buying new trucks every month.
Most of the shoe & gear guys buy new trucks every week so you are good on that

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1378
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #830 on: July 18, 2022, 10:30:14 PM »
@Lou Strux

That's some fire right there my man, straight up. I need to replicate that spot
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #831 on: July 19, 2022, 07:53:51 AM »

I’m trying to grind my forged hollows into the axle so I can actually get a hole in my truck. It’s been taking a while and I’m
Starting to suspect it won’t happen because the material will just collapse

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #832 on: July 19, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m trying to grind my forged hollows into the axle so I can actually get a hole in my truck. It’s been taking a while and I’m
Just recently managed to do that very thing, actually, and you are right: it does kinda collapse inward.
Also, by this point in the process, my axles are both bent, so wheels be coning a little bent, and the hanger where that cut bit is has now cracked.
May you too achieve this minor glory for yourself & your family’s honor.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #833 on: July 19, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Just recently managed to do that very thing, actually, and you are right: it does kinda collapse inward.
Also, by this point in the process, my axles are both bent, so wheels be coning a little bent, and the hanger where that cut bit is has now cracked.

god damn, you continue to be life goals as hell. now that I know it's possible, I shan't be discouraged...

djoekr

« Reply #834 on: July 19, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »
Grinded the slanted curb with a normal brick cause I had no rub bricks laying around and it seemed to work wonders. Grind is real smooth right now and it seems to be way less destructive than the first session. Think I can finally get backside slappys on this one as it's so much easier than a straight curb. Been scared of those for a while so I hope to finally overcome that fear on this spot. Feebles also feel really easy on it, so I'm planning to bring a bigger shovel and dig it out even further for those and board/lipslides.

I'm gonna finish these normal Indys on 'em before I start wearing down my hollows, but they just don't seem to break. Really wanna join the broken axle club but I still got some work left.

Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #835 on: July 19, 2022, 05:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Same happened when I tried to grind mine in half. It folded over for a few weeks then just bent the axle. Gave up on them one session later since it was coning my rear wheels really bad.
Nice 50 to bloard @Lou Strux.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 41
« Reply #836 on: July 21, 2022, 06:34:28 PM »
What clear/lacquer are you guys using for curbs. I have a raw curb at my house and I’ve decided to not paint and just use clear.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #837 on: July 21, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »
What clear/lacquer are you guys using for curbs. I have a raw curb at my house and I’ve decided to not paint and just use clear.

After rub bricking I’ve been using rustoleum clear enamel. I tried spray lacquer as well for a bit but I prefer the enamel.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #838 on: July 21, 2022, 06:59:55 PM »
Second the above statement.

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #839 on: July 21, 2022, 07:15:38 PM »

A mate got me onto this, works wonders