Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88610 times)

Gab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #900 on: August 11, 2022, 11:41:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone got tips for slappy front crooks? I can get into them but I either stick, slip out, or just grind the smallest bit and come out to fakie.
[close]

No tipp as I got the same problem. The only way I get them to work is on parking blocks where I can just drop off at the end. Feels really satisfying tho. However, the only known lacquered parking block in my vicinity was removed (probably because I skated it too much) and now I‘ve got to learn them properly. I have no clue how to get out of them to regular but I also find getting out of bs crooks to regular incredibly difficult.

Unweight the front foot and drop the back one down while pivoting out. Much easier said than done. The grinding comes from pressing into the front big toe and having your foot squared on the nose and hanging over more than you think. I’m still getting the hang of them myself.

Also I made some quick trick tip videos on Slappy crooks and feebles if anyone wants to see, I felt weird leaving them here unsolicited though lol

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2022, 12:26:54 AM »
All this crusty curb talk got me eager to do a front 50 on a dry curb. Felt so goddamn satisfying.

Also I once slapped my kingpin so hard on a kinda crusty curb that sparks started to fly around on some tail devil shit. Can't lie that that made me feel proud when my friends pointed it out.

i got a tall curved one that's not waxed but is the proper angle to slappy. smells like hitting freshly laid pool coping and sparks if ya go fast enough.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2022, 01:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got tips for slappy front crooks? I can get into them but I either stick, slip out, or just grind the smallest bit and come out to fakie.
[close]

No tipp as I got the same problem. The only way I get them to work is on parking blocks where I can just drop off at the end. Feels really satisfying tho. However, the only known lacquered parking block in my vicinity was removed (probably because I skated it too much) and now I‘ve got to learn them properly. I have no clue how to get out of them to regular but I also find getting out of bs crooks to regular incredibly difficult.
[close]

Unweight the front foot and drop the back one down while pivoting out. Much easier said than done. The grinding comes from pressing into the front big toe and having your foot squared on the nose and hanging over more than you think. I’m still getting the hang of them myself.

Also I made some quick trick tip videos on Slappy crooks and feebles if anyone wants to see, I felt weird leaving them here unsolicited though lol

I hereby solicit you to post it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #903 on: August 12, 2022, 01:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same, learning them both right now so it would be appreciated.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2022, 02:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay here goes… hard to put it all into words in 60 seconds and I think it’s clear I didn’t know what I was doing in the 1st one. More info in the description:

Crook

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgc2ICNPjzk/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Feeble

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgnZqzfJjkY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Someone said I sounded like Steven Wright in the 1st one so I tried to sound less monotone in the feeble one but that didn’t last long lol

Anyway hope it helps or you at least get a kick out of watching

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #905 on: August 12, 2022, 02:42:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay here goes… hard to put it all into words in 60 seconds and I think it’s clear I didn’t know what I was doing in the 1st one. More info in the description:

Crook

Feeble

Someone said I sounded like Steven Wright in the 1st one so I tried to sound less monotone in the feeble one but that didn’t last long lol

Nailed it man, love the monotone vibe.  Gonna finally learn slappy crooks this spring.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #906 on: August 12, 2022, 04:09:25 AM »
The bs crook one is cool but for me hauling ass works better than moderate speed. The feeble link didn’t work for me but that’s probably because I am a technically challenged person (aka old).
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

djoekr

« Reply #907 on: August 12, 2022, 04:30:44 AM »
I can crook those slanted curbs actually, but I have problems locking my front truck in on straight curbs. Holding them and popping out is not the problem, as I'll do kinda good crooks when I accidentally do a slappy Willy, but immediately bashing the front truck in and putting weight on my front foot kinda throws me off.

Also I heard some people lift their front truck a tiny bit on feebles, but it's good to see that it's not a necessity.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #908 on: August 12, 2022, 05:53:28 AM »
Great videos dude!
I am finding it hard lately to slap bs krook a shorter curb. The taller ones are easier. Not sure why. Mine are ass anyways so maybe thats the universe telling me I need to completely relearn them.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #909 on: August 12, 2022, 07:22:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Crook

Feeble

These are great

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #910 on: August 12, 2022, 12:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everybody! Sometimes a little lift can help, especially on a taller Slappy crook, or when learning feebles, but not necessary. But I’m definitely not a gatekeeper of it, like how some people say it doesn’t count if you do any lift whatsoever. Once you learn a trick your technique will naturally refine over time. And the moderate speed thing is more an encouragement to not go slow, I see people trying to learn them while going slow and it just makes everything about it way harder. Once you get them down you can start going faster and faster, nothing like a fast, controlled Slappy. I’m thinking about doing a video on the basic Slappy bs 5050 cause a few people asked me. Thanks again yall!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #911 on: August 13, 2022, 05:38:19 PM »
Hell, I’d rather see an early grab that a fucking street plant. At least your rolling so it’s skating(albeit ugly) unlike stand still, turn upside down, & flop down to a tic tac out. Kill that shit off completely!

djoekr

« Reply #912 on: August 13, 2022, 06:38:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Hell, I’d rather see an early grab that a fucking street plant. At least your rolling so it’s skating(albeit ugly) unlike stand still, turn upside down, & flop down to a tic tac out. Kill that shit off completely!
[close]
Thanks for backing me up. The scram guys are always early grabbing the garfield set and good to learn for transition skating.  It's good core exercise. Sometimes I like early grabbing out of front 50s. This guy wane Brady is a shit talker. Likes to run his mouth. I looked at his posts. He's an idiot.

I'll back the early grab out of 50s, learned them last week and they feel nice.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #913 on: August 13, 2022, 08:09:41 PM »
Slappy crooks was one of the rare tricks I just learned without even trying. My friend is a much better skater and was amused with how long he struggled to get it. Once he did though he learned a bunch of variations and is overall much better at them. That’s the way of things

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #914 on: August 14, 2022, 07:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Crook

Feeble

[close]

These are great
These are awesome. I’m struggling with the feeble at my curb spot. I feel like I can get into it but my front truck always gets hung up. Does anyone wax the sidewalk or is that too much. Here’s a couple jawns at the spot I’m referring to

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChQq4vvAvx8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: August 14, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
Stay weighted a little more over your back foot. That’ll help. As for waxing sidewalks I frown on that but mainly because the curbs I skate are at elementary schools.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #916 on: August 14, 2022, 08:17:22 PM »
Stay weighted a little more over your back foot. That’ll help. As for waxing sidewalks I frown on that but mainly because the curbs I skate are at elementary schools.
Thanks for the tip. Yea I feel ya I wouldn’t do that at a spot that is still operating. This is a closed down Outback Steakhouse lol

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #917 on: August 17, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »
Anyone have tips for frontside sugarcanes or know of any videos of people doing them? I learned lipslides recently with the front truck hitting first and have accidentally overrated into sugarcane and am now trying to do it intentionally, but would love to see a proper one.

Only example I've been able to find is this version off the nose from what appears to be @rothdigga at 6:52

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #918 on: August 17, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »
I’m not sure if I’d call the version in the video still a sugar cane, because there’s so much time between the lipslide and the grind. I’d rather call it a lipslide to hurricane?

To make it easier for you, I’d first try to boardslide to hurricane. Same motion but easier to pull off. Then just change the boardslide for a lipslide.
Rails help

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #919 on: August 17, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
I find putting your foot almost across the whole nose helps a lot, and go at a worse (less parallel) angle than you'd think

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: August 27, 2022, 03:27:51 PM »
I normally don’t watch any YT vloggers stuff, but the title got me:

Spoiler.
He cheats, truck lifts, and doesn’t get on all the way. Please, anyone trying to learn slappies, DONT learn them from this!
Watch the Hartsel videos to learn them correctly.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #921 on: August 27, 2022, 03:32:47 PM »
I normally don’t watch any YT vloggers stuff, but the title got me:

Spoiler.
He cheats, truck lifts, and doesn’t get on all the way. Please, anyone trying to learn slappies, DONT learn them from this!
Watch the Hartsel videos to learn them correctly.

Yeah love this one

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #922 on: August 27, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
I love Ben - he’s the only skate YouTuber worth following - but it has got to be pretty embarrassing to make an authoritative slappy how-to video accusing others of cheating and then filming yourself in slow motion cheating at your own slappy, while failing to even get your back truck on.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #923 on: August 27, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »
Finally got a somewhat decent backside slappy 50 today. Does cross lock (front truck locked toeside, back truck locked heelside) count?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #924 on: August 27, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
Finally got a somewhat decent backside slappy 50 today. Does cross lock (front truck locked toeside, back truck locked heelside) count?

That’s how I do mine and I have the truck grooves to prove it. I don’t care if it counts or not, feels great lol

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: August 27, 2022, 05:12:01 PM »

Definitely counts!

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #926 on: August 27, 2022, 05:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely counts!
[close]
Count towards what?. Shit is not rocket science. Shit is so easy. Just slap. Ben degros says, i don't want to be mean" he's so pompous about it too. This guy sucks at slappys and should stick to what he knows.

It counts as a Slappy. It’s not toward anything. It just.. counts as a slappy…

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #927 on: August 27, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
absolutely not. Why does ben degros and Dan Corrigan and many others cross locking slappys. It's a slap not a willy grind. This video is how not to slap. Horrible video.

Willy grind?? The hell are you talking about

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #928 on: August 27, 2022, 05:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
absolutely not. Why does ben degros and Dan Corrigan and many others cross locking slappys. It's a slap not a willy grind. This video is how not to slap. Horrible video.

I respect your opinion if you don't think a cross lock counts, but bro a willy grind?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: August 27, 2022, 05:44:20 PM »
Cross locked backside counts if you’re happy with it. I will say cross locked frontside (front toe/rear heel) is fucking beautiful. I wish I could do them, but I either get lazy smiths or bail. I’d gladly trade fronts heel locked for those.
Fuck it. I’m gonna go play on my curbs now. Maybe today will be the day.