Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85569 times)

cky enthusiast

slappy/curb discussion thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »
discuss them here

yr fav curbs

who skated them best

best feeling slappy

etc

if you’re annoyed enough about curb skating to take the energy to write a whole thing about how much you hate it i suggest you go look at some flowers or something and cheer up

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:22:42 PM »
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

Advice for either would be appreciated.

They look fun as fuck.

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
the SF DMV had my favorite curbs

the best curb guy there was Barker Barrett , he could do a lot of weird stuff, like slappy fakie b/s smiths

outside of CA especially so cal, it is really hard to find good slappy curbs. I wonder if there's another area where good curbs are common

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 05:27:07 PM »
There’s an underground curb I really like, it’s on a bunch of curb guy instagrams. Probably slappy feebs are my favorite- like a grind and a board slide, what’s not to love?

Edit- there’s a ton of old pros here, but I don’t always recognize them. Saw Kyong Kim there a few months ago, that guy rips

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
Momentum is your friend.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

They look fun as fuck.

rub brick - dust off - clear coat

watch surfing videos

go faster

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »

They look fun as fuck.
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.

haydtang

• Rep: -20
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »

the best curb guy there was Barker Barrett , he could do a lot of weird stuff, like slappy fakie b/s smiths

so like a switch willy..?

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so like a switch willy..?

I never remember which one is the willy, but yeah probably its that.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »
Nothing like smashing into one frontside. Glossy red or yellow painted curbs or a buttered up parking block are my favorites. Gonna get some pics of my local curb spot and show em off here: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103086.msg3522737#msg3522737
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
For some reason, can only do them backside 5-0 for grinds. Boardslide and noseslide otherwise (if that is still considered slappies). Feels great any way.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 06:14:50 PM »
back 5-0’s with extra sauce are my favorite

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Rep: 31
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
Why are west coast curbs generally red and east coast curbs generally yellow? As a kid I'd always see those red curbs in videos and think they looked so much easier/faster to grind than anything we had out east (except for the coveted curbs with metal angle iron built into the top).

chrisskates808

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:54 PM »
almost any curbs. found a slappy marble curb in china

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »
Once you learn slappies it makes the world a spot. Any painted curb with some smooth ground all of a sudden replaces the park you used to skate. It’s a longevity move too. What helped me was putting my feet directly over both bolts when smashing in. Took off.

Frontsides feel awesome. Trucks look good as fuck when beat to dust.

IpathCats

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 06:32:30 PM »
Maaaaan, I had the best curb completely bricked/clear coated. I'm talking like 30ish feet of curb totally broken in, long enough to do two tricks in a line on if timed right. Streetlight right over top, and it was on a pretty chill sidestreet in this town square. They built a fucking restaurant and apartments right across from it and now it's a total bummer. The apartment renters get mad, the restaurant serves breakfast lunch and dinner and has outdoor seating so people just get mad. That place was the best warmup spot, especially in the mornings. Shit is so weak, I need a new one.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 06:34:43 PM »
finally learned decent frontside ones not too long ago, and they've all i've been wanting to do.  it takes me a while these days to start popping off the ground, and doing slappies for 30 minutes gives me a good warmup to get me ready to start popping up my board.  my trucks look like they're melting, though, and I keep knocking my kingpin nut loose. 

been trying them switch frontside, but having trouble getting the back truck on.  almost feels like switch nosegrind would be easier.  anyone have any tips?

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 06:44:47 PM »
I’m 40 and guilty of still Ollie if into everything. I want to make a mold out of plywood and pour some curbs. How many inches tall should it be, and what’s a good angle? It seemsZach Dowdy has a good parking block video that I’ll use and instead of making a parking block I’ll pour the concrete into the curb and then build a manny pad behind it

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Why are west coast curbs generally red and east coast curbs generally yellow? As a kid I'd always see those red curbs in videos and think they looked so much easier/faster to grind than anything we had out east (except for the coveted curbs with metal angle iron built into the top).

Not quite sure why, but yeah in California they're basically all red. I live in the midwest where it's either yellow or not painted. I think it might have to do with sun fading? Like yellow paint would fade too much to be useful when exposed to direct light as often as they are out there?

Don't know about that though because Northern California doesn't get nearly the same amount of sun as Socal does, but the curbs are red up there, too.

Edit: googled it, they have color coded curbs for different parking space regulations. Red is reserved for fire and emergency vehicles (and slappies)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

rub brick - dust off - clear coat

watch surfing videos

go faster

The key, IMO.

I started doing slappies more and more last winter and I feel like it has breathed new life into skating for me. Pretty much all I do these days.

Weather permitting I skate the curbs at Target every day on my lunch break and at the church from Rocky II on evenings and weekends. The former has long square curbs and the latter has parking blocks. Prefer the longer squared curbs, but it's fun/challenging to try stuff on the blocks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:34:12 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »
I live near a high school that was renovated a couple of years back, Red curbs for miles. Downhill, cornered, deathboxes (drains) and some ride on options. I was one of the few people skating it for awhile and I could not believe such a prime spot was going unskated. Then the slappy renaissance occurred and it soon became blown out. Covid chilled things again. But it has been amazing having such a spot within skating distance of home.

indigenous_nudity

• Rep: 13
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
rockridge BART is like waikiki for slappies: blown out because it’s perfect

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 07:52:18 PM »
I’ve been battling a bunch of injuries, so the past year or so I’ve almost strictly been skating curbs. I love being able to progress and learn new stuff, without killing myself.

West coast curbs are the best, they have that slight angle to them. A good double sider is fun, but can be scary to learn new tricks on.

Best feeling slappy to me is crook/switch crook

Here’s my local curb and a few slaps:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKupATMBnY-/?igshid=134blofgg7ud7
Slightly angled, good ground with no cement/drainage at the base. I bondo’d the cracks in it and clear coated it.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
I can slappy lower curbs but struggles on anything taller than average. Frontside slappy smiths are probably my favorite atm

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
One of our schools is my go to curb. It’s in the middle of no where, lit at night, has shade for summer days, school doesn’t care if I skate as long as no school functions going or kids around. Security guards that patrol it don’t care since the school doesn’t, sidewalk curbs, spacer curbs, smooth flat, and a learn your new slaps spot(4” section. The rest are the 6” regs). There’s also another school 1/4 mile away with the big boy curbs(8”ers) that are fun as well. Just not lit and no shade.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
I’ve been battling a bunch of injuries, so the past year or so I’ve almost strictly been skating curbs. I love being able to progress and learn new stuff, without killing myself.

West coast curbs are the best, they have that slight angle to them. A good double sider is fun, but can be scary to learn new tricks on.

Best feeling slappy to me is crook/switch crook

Here’s my local curb and a few slaps:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKupATMBnY-/?igshid=134blofgg7ud7
Slightly angled, good ground with no cement/drainage at the base. I bondo’d the cracks in it and clear coated it.

Looks beautiful man, sw slappies are fucked. Anybody who can do them has truly mastered the curb!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
About three years ago, I had absolutely no idea how to slappy and wasn't really sure where to start, but I knew that I was approaching 40 and therefore had to learn my proper old man tricks. I watched some videos, and the how-to seemed to me to be less effective than finding a clip of someone and just watching it in slow-motion, or even reading about how it was done. It took a slanted curb, a shitload of patience and honestly more courage than I expected to really blast into those first slappies, but before long I was doing backside half-slappies (where the back truck never quiet gets all the way up). Fast forward to today, and it's basically all I do. Backside, frontside, crooked grinds, Smiths. The guys you see killing it on Instagram make it look easy, but honestly it's basically as challenging as doing these tricks on an average ledge, it's just that you don't have as far to fall if you blow it. The feeling and the sounds are absolutely unbeatable, though, and when you get through a pair of trucks into the axle, you'll really feel accomplished
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
Is there such a thing as a fakie slappy?

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 08:50:53 PM »
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.

keep your feet on the bolts! don't manual in! if you think of the curb like a quarterpipe, its like a frontside carve grind as opposed to a slash

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
I'm 48, overweight, and not too talented at skateboarding. I start and sometimes end my day at my shitty curb spot in the park by the lake. Can only do BS, hopefully one day will learn FS. I ride 60mm as the ground is pretty fucked. Love skating.