Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85571 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
I want to make a mold out of plywood and pour some curbs. How many inches tall should it be, and what’s a good angle?
6”-7 1/2” high 10-15* angle is pretty much the standard for most CA curbs.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

Advice for either would be appreciated.

They look fun as fuck.

Here you go. How to learn slappies

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=61105.0
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 04:32:35 AM »
the SF DMV had my favorite curbs

the best curb guy there was Barker Barrett , he could do a lot of weird stuff, like slappy fakie b/s smiths

outside of CA especially so cal, it is really hard to find good slappy curbs. I wonder if there's another area where good curbs are common

Seconded!

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 04:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.

When you say it's in the front foot, are referring to kinda un-weighting your front foot as you hit the curb?

Serious Bob

• Rep: 5
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 05:11:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.
[close]

When you say it's in the front foot, are referring to kinda un-weighting your front foot as you hit the curb?
Naw man you lean hella on your front foot and the back foot is the one that is light, makes no sense I know.

Is there such a thing as a fakie slappy?
Yeah, if you do a fakie trick out.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 05:24:14 AM »
I got a pretty good curb spot down the road, don’t skate it as much lately there’s always cars there til after 6pm. My next project is to build some custom curbs, gonna make them 6” tall 80 degree angle, 8’ long 9”wide, planning to build 3 so 24’ of slappy heaven. I have an idea to use granite for the edge, got some old granite counter top pieces I’m gonna rip with the angle grinder and inlay into it. Basically how you do angle iron on a concrete ledge. Can’t wait, going to be so fun.

Curbs are my favorite, great for days the legs are beat but still want to skate. It’s so satisfying, the sounds the feeling. Nothing beats it.

lou dawg

• Rep: -1
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 06:04:49 AM »
43rd and Locust in Philly is my jam.

Just learned FS crooks.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »
I finally learned them this winter after thinking I had them 5 years ago, but I was really lifting up my front truck to get on. Doing them doesn’t really make sense, there’s a few cues that work and then you kind of have to turn your brain off when learning them if you’re used to ollieing into shit.

I can only do em backside for now, I’m on the hunt for a good curb or block to practice frontside on. The one at the skatepark here is always super crowded.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 07:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
[close]

[close]
Naw man you lean hella on your front foot and the back foot is the one that is light, makes no sense I know.

Expand Quote
Is there such a thing as a fakie slappy?
[close]
Yeah, if you do a fakie trick out.

Thanks!

maxi-pad

• Rep: 23
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 08:01:25 AM »
Rockridge is always sick

A buddy and I put in work on a couple at alemany flea market that are pretty solid

GG park ones by de young go hard; other gg park ones by the windmill are good too

Slappy front 5's, when done properly, are very fun

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 08:16:08 AM »
rockridge BART is like waikiki for slappies: blown out because it’s perfect
And so many sections, too.
But I basically had the “waves” all to myself for the entire two hours I was there yesterday, so sometimes paradise is actually that: Paradise.
I love grinding through the inside-corner curb.
Also, props to the “curb keepers” that re-bondo the gaps & cracks periodically.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2021, 09:21:15 AM »
They built a overfill parking lot in my hometown of Vista that's divided in half by a 6 foot wide planter. This planter is itself divided by curb partitions every 50 feet, perfectly level with the ground. There's a specific one that I've buttered and bricked and made perfect so i can powerslide into a front tail and pop up on the other side. It's truly the most fun you can have on a skateboard. Also this parking lot is full of other perfect and buttered regular curbs. Its curb nirvana

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
I love how independents sound on a curb. Aces are nice and smooth, but don’t have that growl. Feels good to haul ass and blast some punk. This is a moment where I enjoy life the most.

What trucks do you guys think sound best on a curb

The cruise terminal in sf is great right now also. No cruises, empty spot.

Also please clean up your garbage at curbs. Sometimes I see trash and it’s a bummer. Pack in pack out.

nothing's been the since same

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
I love how independents sound on a curb. Aces are nice and smooth, but don’t have that growl. Feels good to haul ass and blast some punk. This is a moment where I enjoy life the most.

What trucks do you guys think sound best on a curb

Also please clean up your garbage at curbs. Sometimes I see trash and it’s a bummer. Pack in pack out.

I am mainly an Ace person, but I was gifted a gently used set of Indy 159 mids and skated them at my usual lunch spot today. The harder metal definitely gives them a more resonant sound, though I am curious to see how the AF1s are with that. The mids are pretty fucking nice though.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
I’m 40 and guilty of still Ollie if into everything. I want to make a mold out of plywood and pour some curbs. How many inches tall should it be, and what’s a good angle? It seemsZach Dowdy has a good parking block video that I’ll use and instead of making a parking block I’ll pour the concrete into the curb and then build a manny pad behind it

this is pretty much my m.o. but I've been learning to slappy and it's fun. Because I don't have them on lock yet, I still prefer a nice knee high ledge for my 5 or so ledge tricks. Still, when I land a nice BS/FS slappy, it feels buttery as fuck. It made sense for me to just start riding head on into the curb, kinda crashing at first. Once I got comfortable with my wheels hitting the curb I was able to start carving in.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

gabbesucks

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O718bjrZwA4

EDIT: This guy made one of the best and most in-depth slappy tutorials too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w73dENxudw&t=96s
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:24:42 AM by gabbesucks »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
[close]

Like Bob says you put all your weight on your front foot but you also kinda lighten up a bit right when you hit the curb and then really step on it once your front truck hits the edge. Your back foot is just kind of along for the ride although once you get better you can make sure your back truck is fully on the curb.

Tbh I let my back truck hang most of the time, I like how that looks.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 11:14:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O718bjrZwA4

watched this before bed w/ my boo last night

the pool skating footy is also second to none

gabbesucks

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »

the pool skating footy is also second to none
[/quote]

EDIT: How does this work :0

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
A very hearty AGREE.
That spot has been a pile of fun ever since the COVIDs struck.
I wonder if I've seen you there w/o realizing I was skating w/ a fellow PAL.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 11:30:13 AM »
Expand Quote
rockridge BART is like waikiki for slappies: blown out because it’s perfect
[close]
And so many sections, too.
But I basically had the “waves” all to myself for the entire two hours I was there yesterday, so sometimes paradise is actually that: Paradise.
I love grinding through the inside-corner curb.
Also, props to the “curb keepers” that re-bondo the gaps & cracks periodically.

I am definitely excited to hit Rockridge in August on a family road trip and make my wife and daughter watch my son and I skate curbs for three hours.
ok thanks

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
https://youtu.be/YWBhIwTK4KI

I uploaded a little clip of the spot to demonstrate

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »
dmv in SF is great as said before.

However if you've ever slappied old world stone you know the real deal

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »

No different than skating beautiful marble or granite ledges. Chicago, for one, has incredible granite curbs. Often the asphalt is destroyed or has been piled so high that the curb is now only an inch or two tall, but when they grind the asphalt and repaved the street, and before the freeze/thaw cycle wrecks the pavement, you've got a golden opportunity.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
https://youtu.be/YWBhIwTK4KI

I uploaded a little clip of the spot to demonstrate
!!!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »
there's been one for a year or two now here and all the old heads hang out there but barely skate it. found out my slappy technique sucks since this one isn't angled at all and a bit taller, which gave me trouble in the beginning. i cleaned up my act and now get into a good one most times. the ground around it sucks though. i find fs slappy easier than bs and the thing is basically a bit downhill bs for me, so it's hard to get a nice fs one uphill. still works though. i got sw bs 50 slappy last time as well. i find those super easy for some reason. maybe cause i ride up to them like a fakie trick which helps get the front on. i actually now try to do my reg bs more like my switch ones because it feels better and is less bashy if that makes sense.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No different than skating beautiful marble or granite ledges. Chicago, for one, has incredible granite curbs. Often the asphalt is destroyed or has been piled so high that the curb is now only an inch or two tall, but when they grind the asphalt and repaved the street, and before the freeze/thaw cycle wrecks the pavement, you've got a golden opportunity.

You're right I said old world to refer to any kind of dense stone as opposed to concrete
I also skated a real nice and low one in Osaka, japan (nishiumeda park with the curved ledge, banks to wall etc)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You're right I said old world to refer to any kind of dense stone as opposed to concrete
I also skated a real nice and low one in Osaka, japan (nishiumeda park with the curved ledge, banks to wall etc)

Totally, I was agreeing with you. Skating dense stone with a ~90° cut is absolutely ideal. Nothing compares
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
I would go to this double sided curb a lot at the start of shutdown. Full block with no traffic, just occasional bikes. Google maps pic is a little old, but it's painted red.
It's in Emeryville if you ever want to leave Rockridge

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A very hearty AGREE.
That spot has been a pile of fun ever since the COVIDs struck.
I wonder if I've seen you there w/o realizing I was skating w/ a fellow PAL.

You’ve probably seen me. I try to go early when nobody is around lol. I can have earbuds in and won’t feel like a jerk. I take them of as soon as someone shows up. Sometimes I sit around and look at the grooves on my hanger from the Rockridge curbs. Prop my board up, give them the eyes.

Been great how open rockridge has been cause of covid. More curbs have been waxed and there’s the one cher and marbie got a lot of clips on. Nice and square to lock onto.

Sick spot dale.

Yeah frozen, I’m excited to try the af1 eventually also. See how they sound.

So sick thanks for the spot alert pippen

I waxed the tiny red curb at the Walgreens near MacArthur Bart.

Edit: Doyle and 64th in emeryville right. Ok. I’ll check it out. I need to expand my horizons. Thanks dude

nothing's been the since same