Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85686 times)

Maccat and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »
People shit on slappys and curb skating until they try them. Then it's all they want to do  8)

IMO it also helps a TON with transition. There's a bunch of stuff I don't think I could've done on transition without first learning them on curbs.

I miss Rockridge as well, but tbh the curbs there are too low for me. Maybe I'll check it out again after covid is dead.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2021, 08:07:51 PM »
I learned frontside slappies first in my late 20s. Felt amazing. I was inspired to learn them after joining a slappy session held at painted curbs beside an abandoned, bombed-out building covered in pieces, with a chocolate factory down the street, and that's where I spent many hours and learned them.

There was a small curb, and a big curb. The big curb definitely hurt to slam on, but felt amazing once I caught a slappy on them. I was fortunate enough to film some of them and threw them in video parts. I remember Koston saying in an old interview that lots of dudes couldn't do f/s slappies, so it felt like I'd reached a goal in skating where I could be considered good, haha. I mean I suck and always have, of course. People praised f/s slappies in interviews so like when I learned b/s tailslides, it felt like I'd reached a level to be a little bit proud of.

Backside didn't come as easy, which really infuriated me. I thought the opposite. It stayed like that for a long time where I'd lock into a willy grind constantly. Only in the last three years did I unlock them and can get my back truck on fully. And I never usually lock in and grind for a long time, it's more like getting the front truck on and off quickly while grinding the back truck for awhile, so by the time I come off, my body's twisted a little bit backside. It feels great.

The sad thing is though, I haven't done a frontside slappy in awhile because I started locking into weird f/s feebles which always pitch me and the slams started to make it feel like it wasn't worth it. I can still get into them but I haven't rolled away in a few years. Backside slappies have become much more fun and easy. But I want to do both f/s and b/s on a regular basis, that's a goal for the future.

I will say I'm not a fan of angled curbs. I like 90-degree curbs, it feels good to charge it and slappy into a straight curb. No judgement, though. And tech-slappy tricks, I never really got into that, I just prefer the basics.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »

The sad thing is though, I haven't done a frontside slappy in awhile because I started locking into weird f/s feebles which always pitch me and the slams started to make it feel like it wasn't worth it. I can still get into them but I haven't rolled away in a few years. Backside slappies have become much more fun and easy. But I want to do both f/s and b/s on a regular basis, that's a goal for the future.

I'm the opposite way, i constantly am doing Smith slaps when i just want am old fashioned front slap. I'm still trying to get back to having both trucks on at once

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2021, 12:26:03 PM »
https://youtu.be/PffQbvwOK7o
Note Mark's slappy on the big dog board @ 11:05ish
I mean, results aren't typical, but it gives me the idea: if I put the board where it needs to go WHILE I pump/blast/thrust into it and try not to be a scared hoe, the wheels are going to bump, climb & grind. 
I think by default: you gotta fully commit & fuck it up and fly on your face a few times just to pay your dues to learn it.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »
we rubbricked a nice curb in a pretty empty parking lot in town , there is about 2 sections that are 10-15ft long that are smooth and fun besides the inner part of the curb having rocks.

really wish FS slappys and fs crooks would come easier to me, not sure why it just doesn't work as well as backside

nothing is better than crook slappy's for me though, I can haul ass pretty good at the curb and grind the 10-12ft sometimes and there aint much better feelings out there, been enjoying trying to revert to switch 5-0s from the crook. sometimes it just works!

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 12:51:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

Advice for either would be appreciated.

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

rub brick - dust off - clear coat

watch surfing videos

go faster
[close]

The key, IMO.

I started doing slappies more and more last winter and I feel like it has breathed new life into skating for me. Pretty much all I do these days.

Weather permitting I skate the curbs at Target every day on my lunch break and at the church from Rocky II on evenings and weekends. The former has long square curbs and the latter has parking blocks. Prefer the longer squared curbs, but it's fun/challenging to try stuff on the blocks.

As in the south Philly target curbs? Because I also skate there all the time haha

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2021, 12:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

watch surfing videos

go faster
[close]

The key, IMO.

I started doing slappies more and more last winter and I feel like it has breathed new life into skating for me. Pretty much all I do these days.

Weather permitting I skate the curbs at Target every day on my lunch break and at the church from Rocky II on evenings and weekends. The former has long square curbs and the latter has parking blocks. Prefer the longer squared curbs, but it's fun/challenging to try stuff on the blocks.
[close]

As in the south Philly target curbs? Because I also skate there all the time haha

Nah, the one off of spring garden . Love those curbs you set up by the south Philly one and need to get over there more.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »
Ooooh shit that one of spring garden is also great and I definitely don’t get over that way enough haha

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2021, 02:24:51 PM »
I need to learn slappies. I'm too fat to jump over anything, too busy to make it to the skatepark, and my HOA would never let me have a ramp. Anybody know roughly how much materials for like a 6' parking block would cost?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »
I made a 8’ x 7 1/2” curb for about $55 so less than that. Most of the cost was lumber. I waaaay over built the form.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 06:19:46 PM »
Or you could buy a rub brick, some aerosol clear-coat, as well as a candle, for a little bit le$$ & just groom the curb of your choosing.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2021, 06:51:49 PM »
Or you could buy a rub brick, some aerosol clear-coat, as well as a candle, for a little bit le$$ & just groom the curb of your choosing.

I second this, also I wouldn't learn slappies on parking blocks, get comfortable on safer standard curbs with a "platform" if that makes sense

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2021, 07:06:38 PM »
Or just find a curb, wax the shit out it, and make it your local. Great thing about curbs is they are everywhere. Man, nothing feels better than a frontside slappy.

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »
Curious what size/shape wheels you guys prefer for your slaps?

Been riding spitfire conical fulls 52mm 99a and they’ve been working well. Also have some boardycakes princess cuts 49 on ice that I’m excited to try next.

powerhazard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

watch surfing videos

go faster
[close]

The key, IMO.

[close]

[close]

Nah, the one off of spring garden . Love those curbs you set up by the south Philly one and need to get over there more.

The best curbs are near that spring garden Target by like a block. Off 3rd & Spring Garden. Can’t recall the address but it’s a tall multi use building with black asphalt lot. The building number is huge and takes up most of the side.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »

I run 56mm 97a Spitfire classics on one setup and 56mm OJ Keyframes on the other.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

watch surfing videos

go faster
[close]

The key, IMO.

[close]

[close]

[close]

The best curbs are near that spring garden Target by like a block. Off 3rd & Spring Garden. Can’t recall the address but it’s a tall multi use building with black asphalt lot. The building number is huge and takes up most of the side.

444 n. 4th

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2021, 11:20:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]

watch surfing videos

go faster
[close]

The key, IMO.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

444 n. 4th

Noice, will roll over there on my break tomorrow or Weds.

Been riding spitfire conical fulls 52mm 99a and they’ve been working well. Also have some boardycakes princess cuts 49 on ice that I’m excited to try next.

I like a hard edged wheel, usually conical full or tablet. More of an aesthetic preference, but it feels a little more locked in on some things. I still like a classic shape sometime though.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »

I prefer a classic. It seems a bit easier to get into certain slappies, but a hard edge (conical, tablet, etc.) will lock it better and have less chances of slipping over the back or top of the curb. Spit F4 99a are my favorite

Frank and Fred

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »
Funnily enough I had a slappy session on some sub 50mm tablets yesterday. I have a 90s style board set up to try and relearn some flat ground. Anyway, I was sure they'd be too small for slappies but they worked just fine. Also, because they leave so much hanger exposed they actually felt pretty great. Small wheels with a lot of truck exposure seems like a good combo for slappies as long as you can still smash into them.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »
Funnily enough I had a slappy session on some sub 50mm tablets yesterday. I have a 90s style board set up to try and relearn some flat ground. Anyway, I was sure they'd be too small for slappies but they worked just fine. Also, because they leave so much hanger exposed they actually felt pretty great. Small wheels with a lot of truck exposure seems like a good combo for slappies as long as you can still smash into them.

For sure, size don’t matter. Was running an egg with 40mm wheels for a lil bit and slappys, especially crook variations, were really easy and natural. Too bad the small wheel charm gets old 15 minutes into a session.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »

56mm is around where i hang out since I'm a stereotype of socal pool and curb dudes. I just got those oj 56mm mini combo shape wheels and I'm super stoked to try em out

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 94
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
I learned slappies on a curb down the street during the first few months of quarantine after having wanted to do them for years. The curb wasn't ideal, but it got the job done and its location in an empty abandoned parking lot was a welcome reprieve from having to think about social distancing guidelines.

The bond between this curb and I blossomed over the coming weeks and months and it taught me things I never knew about myself. I had never felt like this in my life. Where had this feeling been all this time? However, I was blinded by my own infatuation with this curb that I only ever took, and never gave back.

One day, I skated down to the empty parking lot with my beloved slappy curb and it was no longer there, removed to make way for a new sidewalk. I was crushed. I wanted to grow old with this curb. I had dreams of coming back to my old home town and visiting this old friend that had taught me so much. I had no idea that our time together was so fleeting and I wish I could just touch both of my trucks to it's sultry, rounded edges just one last time.

I will always remember this curb and I carry it with me wherever I may do slappies in my future.

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »
Or just find a curb, wax the shit out it, and make it your local. Great thing about curbs is they are everywhere. Man, nothing feels better than a frontside slappy.

I live in Karenville, I'm really not trying to be a 27 year old man having to explain to some bored housewife why it's ok for me to be "damaging" a curb with my wheelie toy.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
tell em if they love the curb so much they should marry it. you pay taxes too dog, they ain’t better than you

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I live in Karenville, I'm really not trying to be a 27 year old man having to explain to some bored housewife why it's ok for me to be "damaging" a curb with my wheelie toy.
https://www.amazon.com/TR-Industrial-TR88054-Compliant-Pockets/dp/B017JADCDA/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=Orange+Safety+Vest&qid=1618270485&sr=8-19
Tell em your checking for leaks in the city's drainage system
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

56mm is around where i hang out since I'm a stereotype of socal pool and curb dudes. I just got those oj 56mm mini combo shape wheels and I'm super stoked to try em out

The Dressens? I love that wheel.
ok thanks

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
My personal favorite slappy spot is Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo, but if you live in CA good curbs are all over the place as previously noted so it's not that significant. They surround the whole mall though, and there's some other cool spots to check out like manual pads and a few solid ledges, stair sets and gaps. When I was staying out in Philly I loved to skate the Burlington Coat Factory parking lot on Aramingo in Port Richmond. Pretty smooth ground, the curbs aren't extensively lathered up though so you gotta work for them, which I like. During early Covid when that Burlington was closed it was the best, my roommate and I would go with his flatbar in his trunk and skate in circles for hours having fun. I miss those days.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait until you are 47 so you can finally say to yourself, "I just wasted twenty years of my life worrying what others think instead of seizing the day and seizing my own slappy spot." 

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2021, 07:06:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wait until you are 47 so you can finally say to yourself, "I just wasted twenty years of my life worrying what others think instead of seizing the day and seizing my own slappy spot."

I'm not particularly worried about what they think, I'm just not interested in drawing a bunch of negative attention to myself when I could just as easily DIY my own thing that nobody can hassle me about.